Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Dreddout posted:

We must genetically engineer a cure for shitposters imho.

as a shitposter I am very triggered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

explain the difference

Eugenics is not allowing certain people to have children (or forcing other people to have children I guess). Genetic engineering is changing a fetus's or an egg's or whatever's DNA to eliminate "bad" traits and introduce "good" traits.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lichy posted:

I mean GE is cool and good but saying that selective breeding and GE are exactly the same thing is lol

sure, when we are talking about plants.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Dennis System posted:

Eugenics is not allowing certain people to have children (or forcing other people to have children I guess). Genetic engineering is changing a fetus's or an egg's or whatever's DNA to eliminate "bad" traits and introduce "good" traits.

What happens when the parents say no?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

The strength of the group, and therefore the state, is degraded. This is Treason.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Protagonist posted:

The strength of the group, and therefore the state, is degraded. This is Treason.

So the people have no choice?
Thanks Hitler

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Nothing. They are free to have hosed up kids.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Strategic Tea posted:

You fool it would behave Rationally.

Rationally means 'in a way that makes sense to me but with longer words'.
Sometimes I've thought about what a fully "rational" artificial intelligence would do and I still can't help but think it's absolutely nothing. If you have no instinctual desire or emotional need to improve yourself, gain anything at all or even to survive, what exactly could you possibly use your intellect for?

Why would you care about taking over the world unless you have a social animal's instinctual desire for power?

e: basically I think it wouldn't care about anything and would do nothing, so it would be a fully GBSian being

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

So the people have no choice?
Thanks Hitler

listen buddy, let me tell you a little something about selective service...

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Protagonist posted:

listen buddy, let me tell you a little something about selective service...

:lol: did you actually send that in?

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

The moral question of whether it should be done could be talked to death, but the practical question's answer is "no we probably shouldn't". Reason being is that humans are dumb and overlook things, and we'd likely cause ourselves to die. See sickle cell being one of those things that we would likely remove if we didn't know that it actually helps prevent certain bloodborne diseases.

We'd probably do something like make our eyes more slanty and then we find out some super bacteria from the cattle in china breeds profusely in our giant anime tear ducts and we create a superdisease and are instantly wiped out.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Kaedric posted:

The moral question of whether it should be done could be talked to death, but the practical question's answer is "no we probably shouldn't". Reason being is that humans are dumb and overlook things, and we'd likely cause ourselves to die. See sickle cell being one of those things that we would likely remove if we didn't know that it actually helps prevent certain bloodborne diseases.

We'd probably do something like make our eyes more slanty and then we find out some super bacteria from the cattle in china breeds profusely in our giant anime tear ducts and we create a superdisease and are instantly wiped out.

"something might go horribly wrong!" has literally never stopped us, and is a piss poor argument. you could level the same criticism at any novel, initially off putting treatment.

"hey, i'm gonna boil these viruses at just the right temperature for a while and then inject them into you so your immune system has target practice, sound good?"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Kaedric posted:

I didn't even the the OPs post.
I just like to argue

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
I want to assume that op is simply a good troll.

The Protagonist posted:

even improvements like limited calorie absorption which would lead to a healthier and more economically verdant society

But I am afraid that he is a serious idiot.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

poopnanners posted:

pictured: an undoubtably helpful and productive member of society

the fact we still have starvation-ready fat production when modern agriculture has given us a permanently copious harvest is a real problem

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

poopnanners posted:

I like you poopnanners

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I think we should deal with terrible genetic diseases once we can because I don't think replacing a defective gene with a healthy one is likely to spell the doom of humanity. Unless I guess developing cystic fibrosis is somehow key to our survival.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Elukka posted:

I think we should deal with terrible genetic diseases once we can because I don't think replacing a defective gene with a healthy one is likely to spell the doom of humanity. Unless I guess developing cystic fibrosis is somehow key to our survival.

what the gently caress do you think medical scientists have been doing?

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
Extreme obesity in many cases is due to behavior rather than genetics. The idea of deliberately altering our genes to make our bodies less productive at absorbing energy is laughable. This is a good illustration of why it's not a good idea to go loving with our DNA without fully understanding the consequences.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

poopnanners posted:

Extreme obesity in many cases is due to behavior rather than genetics. The idea of deliberately altering our genes to make our bodies less productive at absorbing energy is laughable. This is a good illustration of why it's not a good idea to go loving with our DNA without fully understanding the consequences.

See you didn't even understand my suggestion; that said I didn't state it well either. I am saying that preventing starvation-preparation fat storage could be a good thing when executed properly.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Protagonist posted:

See you didn't even understand my suggestion; that said I didn't state it well either. I am saying that preventing starvation-preparation fat storage could be a good thing when executed properly.

you have been playing way too many rpgs
real life don't work that way boss

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I am totally down with heavy handed hosed up poo poo that could improve the world in the long run. Except maybe you aren't the right guy to pitch the idea, OP. You're a little retarded.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Protagonist posted:

Ok then what do you do with the extra energy? Because what you're describing is pretty much diabetes

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mange Mite posted:

Ok then what do you do with the extra energy? Because what you're describing is pretty much diabetes

lol

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

its expelled or whatever, gently caress man i dunno i'm not the GE here

i feel like you guys are getting caught up in the wrong aspects of this

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Protagonist posted:

its expelled or whatever, gently caress man i dunno i'm not the GE here

i feel like you guys are getting caught up in the wrong aspects of this

There is already a simple pill that can do this without going through the trouble and risks of genetic engineering. It also gives you horrible nightmarish gas and diarrhea because of all the unabsorbed calories

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

poopnanners posted:

The idea of deliberately altering our genes to make our bodies less productive at absorbing energy is laughable.

The idea of throwing extremely obese people off a cliff is a good one though

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

There is already a simple pill that can do this without going through the trouble and risks of genetic engineering. It also gives you horrible nightmarish gas and diarrhea because of all the unabsorbed calories

see we'll do it so that all the extra energy is given off as healthy photoluminescence

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Digital Fingers posted:

The idea of throwing extremely obese people off a cliff is a good one though

We could burn them for fuel. Why bother with dangerous weird biological machinery to generate light when we already have perfectly good furnaces/heat reactors

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what the gently caress do you think medical scientists have been doing?

being kind of poor mostly

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
The cool thing about more and more people getting fat is that I get more and more attractive relative to the general population. Makes it much easier imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lichy posted:

being kind of poor mostly

that would be nice

• Locked thread