Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beige
Sep 13, 2004
Our gadgets and hobbies can hurt our wallets but they are a necessary part of modern life so here we list our tips to live frugally while still being able to afford the latest flagship phone or steam DLCs. You really can have your cake and eat it too!

Having a high-end PC is of course essential however a huge top of the range monitor will set you back a further chunk of cash.
Simply sit closer to your current screen and BAM! Instant huge monitor.

Forget about those gaming chairs you have bookmarked for future paydays. Depending on which side of the fence you sit on (that's a pun) and either stand or squat before your gaming rig for free comfort.

That coffee bean grinder you saw on that gadget site or blog, although easily justifiable, can be replaced by putting your beans in a trash bag and hitting them with a heavy object. Why even pay a dollar or pound to use the vending machine in the lobby of the motel on the next block? Think smart.

Those Magic: The Gathering booster packs add up when you are buying tens of them each week and can account for large portions of your welfare checks. You have a decent printer, right? So Google image search those rare cards and print them out yourself for almost nothing!

Those torrents you run continually can slow down your wifi and can increase your dota ping by up to 12 ms! If you sign up for the gym on its cheapest option you can leech their wifi during the day for less than the cost of a monthly plan at home. Bonus thrift tip: you can save your water bill by showering with other men at the gym! Moreover, many gyms have TV sets above the treadmills so you can claim the best one and watch daytime tv for free. You don't even have to turn the treadmill on.

Quick tips:
    Save on your heating bill by wearing an extra sweater or wrap a blanket around you

• Turn down your speakers and listen harder

• Next time your dad transfers money from his account to yours you should convert it into bitcoin and buy your bootleg epubs for less than full retail price

^^ nice bullet points, idiot.

Post your own frugal life hacks and each month you will have lightly more money to spend on life's luxuries.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

sorry man if i started printing off mtg cards i would lose all of my nerd cred

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Pee in the top part of your toilet, poo in the bottom

The toilet will automatically detect the pee and knows to use the pee instead of water next time you flush. This technique can save dozens of dollars annually.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Shoplift

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Cubone posted:

The toilet will automatically detect the pee and knows to use the pee instead of water next time you flush. This technique can save dozens of dollars annually.

This is genius. I've taken the tops off all my toilet reservoirs now to use as urinals. Thanks friend!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Jerk off with spit

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

King of Bees posted:

This is genius. I've taken the tops off all my toilet reservoirs now to use as urinals. Thanks friend!

if in peak goon condition you can go several months without worrying about the eventual sediment buildup and smell

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

I recommend making a lot more money

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

instead of paying for items, dont

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

instead of paying for items, dont

Smash the state

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
A good way to save money is to eat less food because you're probably fat, also fruits and veggies are both filling and cheap

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
If you're running low on gas, apply the same trick you would to a nearly empty bottle of shampoo: mix in some water to stretch out the ends

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
steal thing from your neighbors when they sleep

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot
Steal.

Lol, I see many goons were ahead of me on the uptake.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrwjiO1MCVs

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

When you see a dog or cat out on the street, capture it and eat it

You will save lots of money on food and this adds up over time, and eventually you have enough money saved to buy a PS4

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Tom Gorman posted:

When you see a dog or cat out on the street, capture it and eat it

You will save lots of money on food and this adds up over time, and eventually you have enough money saved to buy a PS4

General Tso approves

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cubone posted:

woah

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

haha really good thread op i learned a lot I laughed I cried I had an orgasm well thanks

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

save gas by not leaving the house

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Parallax Scroll posted:

save gas by not leaving the house

this works real well.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
learning how to do greenwood woodworking with a half dozen carbon steel hand tools was one of the best decisions of my life

don't think i've bought anything made of wood since

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you can take things from stores for free if your will stipulates that they be returned after you die

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

you can take things from stores for free if your will stipulates that they be returned after you die

depends if you want things or everlasting life

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

depends if you want things or everlasting life

can't decide, myself

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
1. don't hire prostitutes, who are awesome and heal all your emotional problems.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

a dog from hell posted:

1. don't hire prostitutes, who are awesome and heal all your emotional problems.

you need to give me your hookers number

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

you need to give me your hookers number

k but fare warning: I'm broke.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Instead of buying new clothes every time your current ones get dirty, just convince people you have a wardrobe of similar things to the point where you give them the illusion they're identical. But in reality, you don't even own that wardrobe you just rented for the afternoon! You never have to buy more than the one shirt and jeans again!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Hrist posted:

Instead of buying new clothes every time your current ones get dirty, just convince people you have a wardrobe of similar things to the point where you give them the illusion they're identical. But in reality, you don't even own that wardrobe you just rented for the afternoon! You never have to buy more than the one shirt and jeans again!

Dude, I am so way ahead of you

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if you want something but don't have the money, just buy it - in your imagination!

Slyph
Jan 19, 2007
KAWAII NEKO WAIII NANI ^____^;;!?

Mozi posted:

Theft Act 1968 posted:

(1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it;

Checks out

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Slyph posted:

Checks out

The theft act...oh....OH GOD! :gizz:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

The theft act...oh....OH GOD! :gizz:

gross

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Procedural documentation and case law are a fetish.

I will no apologize for this.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

instead of paying for power like a rube, hook the electrical outlets in your house up to a lightning rod and then use the lord's name in vain every few minutes

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
not having kids is like standing under an infinite waterfall of free money

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Beige posted:

Those Magic: The Gathering booster packs add up when you are buying tens of them each week and can account for large portions of your welfare checks. You have a decent printer, right? So Google image search those rare cards and print them out yourself for almost nothing!

i do this all the time, and i feel no shame in it :colbert:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

tazjin posted:

I recommend making a lot more money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Just poo poo when you shower already, you can just mash it down.

• Locked thread