Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
No power brick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

spudsbuckley posted:

This whole thing was dreamt up last Wednesday afternoon just to have something to show at E3 that wasn't also coming to Windows.

This console has no reason to exist and doesn't any make sense at all. It's just a device that upscales 720p to 4k and that's it.

They probably freaked out when they thought Sony was going to show the Neo.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah, aren't we talking about uncompressed pixels, here? The best pixels ever seen!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah its definitely going to run at like 20fps or upscale from 1440, there's no way around that.

Or upscale from 792p

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

The top selling TVs on Amazon are pretty much all lovely 1080p jobbers for <$200.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

shadow puppet of a posted:

4K up scaling is just using a 2x2 pixel grid as one, no?

Exactly. 1080p to 4k is a direct 2:1 mapping. I have a 50" 4k HDTV and 1080p looks great, and 4k looks even better. The 4k video I've watched has been some nature videos on Youtube and most of the newer Netflix stuff is 4k. You can really see Frank Underwood's pores in 4k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Instant Sunrise posted:

If a 4K TV used Nearest Neighbor to upscale, yes.

But most TV manufacturers use a scaler chip that'll upscale 1080p via something like bilinear filtering, which will soften it a bit.

Granted though, with more picture information to work with, it won't look as bad as going from 480i or 240p to 1080p, but it's still going to soften the image a lot compared to how a native 1080 panel would look.

According to my product brochure here my Sharp Aquos UltraHDTV uses Sharp's proprietary Revelation Scaler to upscale 1080p to 4k, so obviously it is superior somehow.

(tbh at couch distances I can't tell a difference between my 4k set's 1080p and my old 39" 1080p set that got moved to my office)

• Locked thread