Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Im sorry guys. My set of orders actually contained black magic layered in as invisible text as suggested by the Reichminister.

I think we may have unleashed something.... something truly evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Abongination posted:

Im sorry guys. My set of orders actually contained black magic layered in as invisible text as suggested by the Reichminister.

I think we may have unleashed something.... something truly evil.

No! You don't mean!?

The Referendum!:magical:

What Have We Done!?

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 24, 2016

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Current Situation:

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

So uhhhh dtkozl can you help us out here?

If you've been too busy to run the turn, that's totally understandable, but please just let us know. Or give us some expectation of how long we'll have between turns.

We can see that you've posted in the observer thread recently. Some status update or at least acknowledgement here would be really nice. If this keeps going on with no update from you, I'm worried that we'll start losing players.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Your movie is uploading! In the next couple hours you will have all you wish and more besides.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

dtkozl posted:

you will have all you wish and more besides.

Ah good, the Americans must have surrendered.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LvzJtrzCIk

Ok taking a shot every time I gently caress up a narration was a poor idea so I'll follow this up by another post tomorrow that will answer any questions you guys got like "where the hell am I?"

First off, thanks to everyone participating. Second I'm going to be gone Wednesday- Wednesday (at least) with little to no internet next week so you guys will have a little longer for turn 4.

Here are some pics of the end of turn 3. I'll get everyone labeled and clear up anything you need by tomorrow.

Now, as for problems.
On my end the first day the save wouldn't load at all. Never had it happen in cm before except in a rare case with a patch. Had a minor panic attack but by the next day for some drat reason it decided to work so we are in the clear. Got like 5 goddamn saves across 3 hard drives now. So that was part of the reason for the delay. The other was I decided to go out last night instead of work on the turn.

Anyway you guys were better on orders so I'll keep this brief. Always tell me who you are in the orders, 2/1 is all I need. Always use the the grid when issuing orders. Abelian you gave me orders using the other map and it was needlessly confusing. Don't want you guys getting mad at me cause your stuff is wrong because I had to interpret where you wanted to be. I can only split at the end or start of orders. If both elements are going to the same hex I won't split because both elements will just reform into the same squad. Remember heavy weapons like medium machine guns need to specifically deploy. I deployed them at the end of their order but there is a pack up/down delay so something to keep in mind.

Anyway sorry for the negative stuff but I don't want you guys to end up in a bad situation because orders got crosshatched. Thanks to all participating and be glad you are winning! Now on to turn 4.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 25, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm not dead, which I consider a successful result so far. :godwinning:

How do you want to play this Popeye?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Crap. My platoon (1/2) is still well out of position (don't think I have even dismounted yet) and the Americans already have their forces fairly well advanced into the woods and their VP. Should I continue with the plan to advance to the wood line or should we do a rethink?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Uh dtkozl, should those line about the EDIT allied recce force really be in our briefing?

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 25, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Only had a chance to look at this on my phone so far. Can't really tell entirely what's going on. Initial reactions
  • Looks like the bulk of their forces are marching down the middle, with little on the flanks.
  • We took a couple early casualties, but we're in a good position to bring the hammer down on them
  • Popete I think should be able to see that Sherman, and it should be dead soon
I'll have to study the video more closely tonight when I can watch it on a PC.

koolkevz666 posted:

Crap. My platoon (1/2) is still well out of position (don't think I have even dismounted yet) and the Americans already have their forces fairly well advanced into the woods and their VP. Should I continue with the plan to advance to the wood line or should we do a rethink?
We expected it to take about 5 turns for you to get into position. They only have stragglers over there that we can see. And we have two Luchs and a Panther. Plus 100 shells of HE will start to rain down on them soon.

abelian fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 25, 2016

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

professor_curly posted:

Uh dtkozl, should those line about the EDIT allied recce force really be in our briefing?

Good call thanks.

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016
Initial reports of the situation on the field appear promising...

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

abelian posted:

Only had a chance to look at this on my phone so far. Can't really tell entirely what's going on. Initial reactions
  • Looks like the bulk of their forces are marching down the middle, with little on the flanks.
  • We took a couple early casualties, but we're in a good position to bring the hammer down on them
  • Popete I think should be able to see that Sherman, and it should be dead soon
I'll have to study the video more closely tonight when I can watch it on a PC.

We expected it to take about 5 turns for you to get into position. They only have stragglers over there that we can see. And we have two Luchs and a Panther. Plus 100 shells of HE will start to rain down on them soon.

Roger I will continue with my original plan then. Nice to know I have some support watching over me that is for sure.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

The first turn video just as I had to go too work with poo poo internet.:suicide:

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

dtkozl posted:

Always use the the grid when issuing orders. Abelian you gave me orders using the other map and it was needlessly confusing.
Ok, sorry for being confusing. I'll use your map for orders next time.

dtkozl posted:

Ok taking a shot every time I gently caress up a narration was a poor idea so I'll follow this up by another post tomorrow that will answer any questions you guys got like "where the hell am I?"
Thanks for the screens showing the croc. I'd say priorities for more information:
  • screenshot showing a closer overview of the American positions
  • screenshots on the western side of the map
  • more screenshots from a top-down perspective
  • closeups on each platoon or group of our forces
Edit also of major importance: who is currently spotting the flame Sherman? What is the LOS from Popete's panther like? Is he close to getting a spot on the Sherman? Do we get any concrete infantry spots? If so, can we get some closeups of what kind of munitions they're carrying?

abelian fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 25, 2016

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

abelian posted:

Ok, sorry for being confusing. I'll use your map for orders next time.

Thanks for the screens showing the croc. I'd say priorities for more information:
  • screenshot showing a closer overview of the American positions
  • screenshots on the western side of the map
  • more screenshots from a top-down perspective
  • closeups on each platoon or group of our forces
Edit also of major importance: who is currently spotting the flame Sherman? What is the LOS from Popete's panther like? Is he close to getting a spot on the Sherman? Do we get any concrete infantry spots? If so, can we get some closeups of what kind of munitions they're carrying?

Looks like my dudes who got popped plus the platoon HQ have eyes on the flame tank ATM.

So do flametanks have a normal cannon but with a coxial flamethrower or what?

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Flippycunt posted:

Looks like my dudes who got popped plus the platoon HQ have eyes on the flame tank ATM.

So do flametanks have a normal cannon but with a coxial flamethrower or what?

Looks like it's got a normal turret with the hull MG replaced with a pretty crappy flamethrower.

We need to determine whether it's a jumbo or a regular.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
So we have 1 Platoon occupying Junction City.

At least 1 Platoon moving into ICU wood. Until we get spots elsewhere.

Their 3rd Platoon is either moving along ICU wood as well, or is preparing to assault the central objective from Junction City. Based on the spotting I'm going to assume it's going to be an attack through Junction City.

Their tank column looks like it is rolling straight up Sherman Lane. I suspect that it is a Jumbo flame tank out front, with the other tanks following behind. We have no sight of their Recce forces.

Alright Popete, you're probably going to have to reposition. They came up that road much faster that expected, so they already bypassed a lot of your major sightlines. You're going to be exposed to your left a bit more, but nothing we can do about that, we need you to stifle this tank advance.

Somewhere like here, although that's only a rough estimate.

Klaus, you'e probably going to have you come forward and lock down Jackson Road and that side of Junction city in preparation for 1st Platoon's crossing. In the mean time, you may be able to get some side shots on tanks rolling down Sherman Road but I wouldn't bet on it. You'd need to rush forward out of the trees and look that way - it's a long shot, these sightlines are pretty precise but it's possible. I don't see much of a downside to trying, but it does expose you to a bit more risk.

Saros, if it were any other tank I would say swing around and get eyes down Sherman Lane. However I don't think you can hurt a Jumbo. On the other hand, there seem to be a few tanks following up the road behind it as well. Those as probably Sherman 76's though - it's really up to you.

2nd Platoon, it looks like you're going to have the hammer fall on you the hardest. I think the troops already up on the hill might do well to continue on and hide on the reverse slope near the Death Road. Our guys weren't pinned or broken by that shell, so that's a good sign. Whatever you do though, spread your guys out and get ready. I'm really expecting mortars to fall on you any time, now that we see where they're going.

1st and 3rd Platoons - keep doing what you're doing. If we confirm there is no presence in the Big D, we're going to take it and use it to suppress and take Junction City. Platoon HQ discretion, but it might be a good idea to hug the western map edge and try to send a fire team across into The Big D immediately.

Note these aren't orders, just ideas and suggestions to see what people think.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
First blood to the American's but I'm liking the look of what we can see so far. Looks like they are spreading much more evenly across the map then we expected so our right hook across the map might do some serious damage, especially if it syncs up with our mortars landing.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Abongination posted:

First blood to the American's but I'm liking the look of what we can see so far. Looks like they are spreading much more evenly across the map then we expected so our right hook across the map might do some serious damage, especially if it syncs up with our mortars landing.
Looking at the video and screens closely, I think we have zero confirmed or suspected enemy contacts in the area where those mortars are going to land. One of the major decisions we'll have to make this turn is whether or not to cancel that mortar barrage.

abelian fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 25, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

professor_curly posted:

So we have 1 Platoon occupying Junction City.
Their tank column looks like it is rolling straight up Sherman Lane. I suspect that it is a Jumbo flame tank out front.

Well, luckily it appears to not be a jumbo.

compare against

and

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Assuming the Flaming Sherman hasn't already spotted the Panther I'm expecting an area target to continue to try and pulverize my dudes.

Which do you think would be better, crawl away, or FAST away to get into cover?

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Flippycunt posted:

Assuming the Flaming Sherman hasn't already spotted the Panther I'm expecting an area target to continue to try and pulverize my dudes.

Which do you think would be better, crawl away, or FAST away to get into cover?

Usually to escape a barrage, I would Fast for a 10-20 meters then quick the rest of the way, making sure to spread out as I go.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Request for dtkozl

For the next video can you please run the turn without clicking on anything? Or pause while clicking on stuff? It limits what we can see to that unit's LoS.

Also, overhead map plz!

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
At 0:48 we also get vision of a 75mm Jumbo tank. So far that makes 2 Shermans spotted, both 75mm. That leaves two, which I assume to be 76's, unaccounted for. We also have not seen hide nor hair of any recce force.

Also for the benefit of the peanut gallery and others, here is our Roll20 map, with some random doodles and thoughts that we've been having.

Small pixeltruppen are things that we know/or are expecting, the large allied pixultruppen as suspected locations or vague spotting reports. So right now here is what we're thinking.

They've got 1 platoon in Junction City.

They've got 1 platoon moving through ICU Forest.

They've got 1 platoon moving into The Big D.

They're leading with a Flame Sherman. Possibly hoping to catch a center infantry rush, maybe because it's the most expendable, I'm not sure. Popete we'll need a look from your current location specifically, but honestly it looks like you should be able to spot the bastard the more I've looked at it. We'll see.

We expect at least one tank to be hiding out behind Junction City pointed down Jackson Road. I kind of suspect a good chunk of the armor is around Junction City, as a sort of staging area until they find our Panthers and other AT. Other possible routes would be moving along the Big D and ICU forest to support the infantry there. If they've split their 76mm Shermans in that way that will probably favor us. After speaking to the other people on Roll20 it seems unlikely they would be pushing a full tank column up Sherman Lane. It's possible, but looking back I don't see why they would. I think it's still worth it to maybe have Klaus move up and try to get a flanking shot on whatever is there on that road.

Only other thought I have about this is it might be prudent to hold back 1st Platoon from getting in front of a Sherman looking down Jackson Lane without having Klaus there to take care of it, at least until we get better information. I'll leave that to the Platoon Commanders though.

We keep getting spotting reports of mounted infantry or trucks moving down around their spawn and Dream Flank Lane. I kind of doubt they have a mechanized infantry force, but that might be their towed artillery moving to support an action in the east. I'm starting to like the idea of moving the Wespe up to support Saros and, if nothing develops, to turn and fire down from Wounded Knee. I'm also hoping that some Recce car comes flying down Dream Flank lane so we don't have to worry about it anymore.

If they are moving a platoon into The Big D then I say we leave the Mortars on. A top-down screenshot will tell us that. Also need a screenshot from Popete's tank, preferably with the LoS tool to see if he can actually see over Death Road's hill and see the Sherman down the road.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Wow, nice spot on the jumbo. It's actually our Xenolalia's WW who spots them! And it looks like it's carrying tank riders and moving quite slowly.

It will be difficult to tell if they're moving a platoon into The Big D or just through it from their spawn into Junction City. It would be really nice to get a video of the turn taken from their side of the map to see if we can spot a trend in the audio contact movements.

:siren:Dtkozl, I think the priorities for new info are, in order :siren:

1. An overhead screenshot from the end of the turn
2. Screenshot or video using the target/LOS tool from Popete's Panther to the area with the flame tank
3. Closeup screenshots of the american infantry contact area
4. Closeup screenshots of the spotted american infantry
5. A video of the turn without clicking on any units, so we can make sure we've seen all the spots.
6. A video of the turn from the overhead perspective, esp. focusing on the southern half of the map.
7. A couple more screen shots of our final positions.

If you could at least help with the top three or four of these it would really help us figure out exactly what's going on.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

So we won't know for sure until we get an overhead shot but, probably because of the snow, it kind of seems like the infantry isn't in position yet

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Quick initial 2nd Platoon thoughts while i have a moment. Any 2nd men who can see the enemy tank should fire on it immediately to cause it to button, but then seek cover. This should buy us a kill with the panther having spotting advantage. Ideally my small grenadier team can do this and we can risk them instead of squads. Those tank rounds will mess up clusters of men, particularly morale-wise. Otherwise the unspotted platoon members need to keep in cover and avoid getting shot at until that tank gets killed.

More broadly, it looks like they have a conservative deployment of infantry. I think we should watch the clock and consider adjusting or reassigning our fire mission. Once the tank situation on our left is resolved, we should hold the dominant ground vs infantry and look to be matched 1v1. We may have a numerical advantage on the right that could be exploited.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Im thinking of cautiously shifting my Hetzer over to support the Panther, it doesnt look like there is anything coming down the east flank other than the infantry push through ICU woods and there appears to be significant armored push through the center. That also looks like they are setting up towed arty (the motorised symbol) in Junction city, probably AT guns (76's?) if they have positioned it there as infantry guns would be better of further back.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 25, 2016

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

And here are contacts:

You have definitely seen trucks and light armor moving east behind that tree line. 2 tanks in the allied VP and you can see one.

Who can see the sherman is currently only 2/2A, the one with casualties. The MMG could see him but currently cannot. 2/2A and B have a run order into those original positions in the woods currently, but is ignoring them because they were suppressed though I expect them to carry them out next turn.

Oh and 3/2 is in a farm house I missed him in the pics.

There is what panther 2 can see. There is actually a little hillock between you and the flame tank so I don't think you will get vis but I could be wrong, those things can be difficult to judge.

Hetzer. Obviously no hope of seeing the sherman or much of anything really.

OK you guys need anything else?

edit:I told the allies this, please note the MMGs are heavy weapons and therefore have a deploy and packup time of 20 and 14 seconds respectively.

double edit those dudes out west have decamped the panther and are currently on foot.

tripel edit there is no currently spotted infantry but the guys you did see were in grid k23 and moving NW along that wood line.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 25, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

dtkozl posted:

OK you guys need anything else?

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Can you double check with the "target" tool on the Panther and see if he is able to area fire the bend in the road where flame sherman is?

If he can area fire or if it says "reverse slope, no aim point" then he'll have LOS.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

abelian posted:

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Can you double check with the "target" tool on the Panther and see if he is able to area fire the bend in the road where flame sherman is?

If he can area fire or if it says "reverse slope, no aim point" then he'll have LOS.

There is a small spot on that road just behind the sherman it can hit with a "spotter partial hull down." It is really broken up sight line wise, gonna be a tough call.

edit:

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Ok, that helps quite a bit. We'll probably have to shift the panther a bit then.

Probably the best spot to move it is to reverse up the hill to where my MG is. That can see all up and down the road.

dtkozl, has the MG finished deploying already?

When will the next set of orders be due?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

abelian posted:

Ok, that helps quite a bit. We'll probably have to shift the panther a bit then.

Probably the best spot to move it is to reverse up the hill to where my MG is. That can see all up and down the road.

dtkozl, has the MG finished deploying already?

When will the next set of orders be due?

MMG is still deploying. Orders will be finished probably 24 hours after i get back from the north carolina woods, so probably thursday or friday, the 7th or 8th.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

dtkozl posted:

MMG is still deploying. Orders will be finished probably 24 hours after i get back from the north carolina woods, so probably thursday or friday, the 7th or 8th.

Sorry, do you mean that orders will be due on the 7th or 8th, or do you mean you'll have a video finished by then?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Orders will be due. I'm not going to spring anything on you, there will be at least 24 hours notice before the call for final orders.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Hey if you guys like I could call the end of orders phase for turn 4 on tuesday the 28th at say 5 pm EST and get out a video before I leave for a week. Since most people are still moving you probably don't have many orders to give in any case. Let me know!

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

dtkozl posted:

Hey if you guys like I could call the end of orders phase for turn 4 on tuesday the 28th at say 5 pm EST and get out a video before I leave for a week. Since most people are still moving you probably don't have many orders to give in any case. Let me know!
We should do this, provided the Americans don't cry for more time again. Hopefully that will give you enough time to get a video out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
:siren: Calling everyone back to the thread and roll20 assuming that we're going to due this in less than 48 hours :siren:

Ok, here is my read of the current tactical situation:

We're still getting into position. First blood goes to the Americans, but we now know where some of their most dangerous assets are. Nothing we've seen so far should really challenge the overall battalion plan, so previous orders remain.

(Please excuse my groggy NATO symbols, but I just found this awesome site that will generate them for you and just had to use them.)

We've seen enough to be reasonably confident of the enemy infantry's maneuver plan. We have two tanks likely inside of Junction City (marked). From the intelligence standpoint, we have at least two enemy tanks and two recon vehicles to account for.

I need your help answering these questions:
  • Where are the two missing tanks? If I were them, I would put them on the flanks. It's possible that we just haven't seen them yet.
  • What do we do with our fire support? Do we move it up on the east as PC suggested? Or do we keep them more centrally located so we can push them in either direction?
  • How do we deal with the enemy armor in the middle? The big question here is, does Popete adjust position or just sit tight?
  • While it's tempting to put more guns on the spotted Shermans, it will take a lot to convince me that Saros is not better off sitting tight and protecting our flank. At least for one or two more turns.
  • Anything else that I am missing?
Post your thoughts in the thread and hop onto roll20 discuss what we should do.

• Locked thread