Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Jawol mein kommandant.

Hell yes a Panther! Oh I mean, why can't I have a King Tiger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dtkozl posted:

the American side will be Conscript troops with very high leadership. So expect your infantry to be less competent but will shrug off casualties.

I assume this is also supposed to say German.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Xenolalia posted:

Holy poo poo... I expected like, a 20mm halftrack, this is much better :getin:

Time to mow down some poor helpless infantry.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Klaus88 you are listed as the tank HQ, if you have a general plan or wanna lone hunt let me know. I'm all ears.

I was thinking of setting up in the woods at Z-11 perhaps.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dtkozl posted:

As this is a small battle there won't be a lot of arty flying around. Expect mortars from the americans as well.

SPOILERS

Well it's confirmed guys, the Americans do have weapons.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Klaus88 posted:

I'm tending towards sending the panthers towards A on that map, since it has a good line of sight of the town, and putting the hezter at B to watch the corridor on the right of the map.

I like this, my only concern is the Americans rushing across to A before the Panthers show up and then we are sitting ducks as we round the trees to the north near 24.

Popete fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 15, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm in favour of Klaus88 overwatch plan but we need to think about where exactly and how to get the Panthers in position and what infantry should also make the trek to A if thats where we deploy. With 3 main tanks and a TD we almost certainly have to be facing Shermans with at most 1 Pershing which means the biggest threat is the TD and we need to spot and contain it as soon as possible. With our 2 Panthers and the Hetzer in overwatch we can safely snipe Shermans from far enough away.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We could send a Panther and the Hetzer to the western treeline Point A and a single Panther to the eastern treeline around Z-12. I think this provides pretty good crossfire without leaving a lone Hetzer to cover our flank.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Setting up a Panther at the North West hill seems like very good overwatch, can hit the allies D zone and covers our flank if they try to push up into A.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Klaus88, any thoughts on tank deployment?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Klaus88 posted:

Not particularity. Except that putting the panthers on the flanks and the hertzer in the center seems like a reasonable deployment to me. I hope the hertzer can pick off an enemy tank and that the panthers can catch any enemy tanks in a crossfire. Plus we can support the infantry that way.

Sounds good to me, in that case I will take my Panther and head up to do overwatch at Wounded Knee.

FrozenLiquidity posted:

I've got some, but you do your thing. We still have another Luchs that can be deployed to fill in a gap somewhere, but they can't take the heat like a Panther can.

Always open to suggestions.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FrozenLiquidity posted:

Ok, I'll butt in - my worry with this is that the center is fairly depressed area. The Hetzer's gun is mounted very low on the chassis and may not be able to easily fire over the terrain in the central areas, whereas a Panther in the same position benefits from the hull-down profile granted by this terrain. That, and having limited traverse with the Hetzer's gun means that the entire chassis has to swing towards an enemy - being in the center, turning in such a fashion exposes the side of the vehicle to enemies in many cases - a vehicle with a turret does not have this problem.

My $.02

Yeah that is a good point, the road is fairly low. I could swap positions with Saros and he takes Wounded Knee. My only worry there is a flank on the eastern side he could be overwhelmed pretty easily. But I may have an opportunity to help cover that side if it happens.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FrozenLiquidity posted:

I'd think that swap of positions would probably work well.

If there's a Panther in the middle area and the scouts on Eastern flank detect a push that could threaten Wounded knee, reversing back down Baumy lane and heading up there would only take a turn or two without exposing oneself to the enemy. On the East flank, there is a fairly narrow corridor of likely approach to watch, and very limited opportunities for an advancing force to flank the position, so it plays well to the Hetzer's strength. If nothing else, 2nd Platoon is the most diverse of our infantry forces and is well-positioned to pivot their base of fire to stifle any such advance.

It's not perfect, but it plays to each of the units strengths and weaknesses. I can do a bit of recce and see just what kind of fire support a Panther in the Baumy lane area can provider to that flank too if you'd like.

Turnabout is fair play though, any ideas for the positioning on that second Luchs?

Whats the best position in Baumy Lane for the Panther, from the pictures it's pretty deep so I'm not sure where I could setup that I have good field of view over the east/west. Seems I could move almost all the way up to the edge of the trees. If you have a screen grab that would be great too.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ideally if someone could test LOS at the very end of the sunken part of the road where the tree line ends. I'm curious if I'll even have LOS over the small hills directly around me.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FrozenLiquidity posted:

Fantastic Intel

Thanks for looking into this! Great work, I'm sure Herr Hitler will only have you shot instead of slowly starved to death for this oversight.

Looks like Baumy Lane is a no go, I was afraid of that when I looked closer at dtkozls' tour video.

I suppose the next best option is for me to setup at Wounded Knee/Firebase Hill to support the Hetzer and provide overwatch or move over to the Lederhosen Woods.

I'm very much open to suggestions at this stage as we need to come up with a plan soon.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Deploy Unbuttoned
Fast to AA-10
Face South West (Roughly 200 Degrees off due North)

Orange = Fast
Blue = Facing

Popete fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 21, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've updated my original orders, moved more north along the tree line.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

abelian posted:

I'm at work now and can't confirm, but I don't think you're going to be able to see anything from down there (it's at the bottom of a hill).

So where is good spot? My original position apparently is too exposed.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

professor_curly posted:

You've got trees to your immediate left in a dense little cluster, that'll stop tank shells. Really any position in that area can line some trees up like this. You have vision down the road right before Junction City and the woods beyond that road. It's very hard to get a good shot on you from this position that isn't straight on into your front armor - you aren't invincible or anything, but if you can set yourself up around there quickly you should definitely have the advantage.

Thanks, I've updated my original orders.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sorry everyone was out of town the last 4 days.

So it looks like one Sherman snuck by my point of view and there are a few more to follow in the center of town.

Should I just stay put for now? It's hard to tell but do I have a shot to take right now? If I am staying put do I need to set a firing zone or will my panther fire at any available tank target?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

abelian posted:

No problem, and welcome back. Hope the accelerated schedule gives you enough time.

As far as not spotting the Sherman, I think he might have already been in place before you arrived. But you might have missed even a moving Sherman. There are trees and bushes everywhere.

It can take incredibly long for a tank to spot another stationary tank, especially with trees and bushes everywhere. The fact is that infantry have spotted a tank contact inside of junction city. They will radio in that contact report which will reduce the time it takes for you to spot.

A cover arc might decrease this a tiny bit, but it will also make you ignore other threats and targets of opportunity. I would advise against using it here.

While staying in place is certainly an option and might get you a spot on the Sherman, my gut feeling is that it's best for both the short and long term if you can move up a tad higher on the hill. Here's a video I posted earlier that shows LOS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bXYKCj9N74 from your current pos and one a bit higher up the hill. You would have part of a hill, trees, and the mighty Hetzer covering your flank. You could also reverse backward a ways and then move up to minimize the time spent slowly turning in place. If you'd like more info or LoS videos or overviews of the terrain, I can make them, just let me know what you need.

Thanks for putting that video together. I'll try and move up the hill south of my current position hopefully I can catch the Sherman facing north and trap it in place.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pause 25 seconds
Reverse to BB-10
Hunt to AA-11
Face South West (Roughly 200 Degrees off due North)

Green = Reverse
Purple = Hunt
Blue = Facing

Popete fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 28, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Move quick to AA-12
Face to south west

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

professor_curly posted:

Here is a link for Popete's map that seems to be broken by imgur:

Company Command Squad and HMG: Keep on current orders.

Thanks, I was trying to figure out if it was just broken on my end or what.

abelian posted:

Ok tying together Popete's orders since his imgur link appears to be screwed up. I will link these to the spreadsheet.

And thanks, I'll try not to forget the spreadsheet again.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

abelian posted:

I think somewhere between 2 and 4 days is good. Any longer and it's hard to keep people involved.

Agreed, long enough that we can discuss but any longer and we'll start losing people or they just plain forget.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Woooooh! A kill!

My thought right now is to either sit tight and hope I'm not currently under fire from mystery tank or back up slightly and continue overwatch.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm in a pretty good spot but I'm also a little disconcerted about the shots I took at the end of the round. Something is out there taking pot shots at me.

Either I stay where I am and maybe catch another Sherman crossing the road west or I backup a little bit and hopefully stop taking fire from whatever mystery unit sees me. Thoughts?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Any generous game owner mind checking LOS for me? I'm thinking of backing up too BB-10 or BB-11 somewhere inbetween there. I'd like to be able to continue overwatch to the west though.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
For tanks what order do you use to target infantry if no tanks are available? I want to start taking out infantry but have tanks be the main priority if I have a shot.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How much visibility will I lose if I button up? Since i'm taking fire i would really rather not lose my commander but knowing there are Shermans directly across from me will the ground troops pass along sighting info?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

abelian posted:

Thanks Saros.

I didn't make a video of it, but I did check the LoS and Klaus' current position (which is a little bit offset from the video) is just about as good as any. Broken lines of sight in areas where known enemy tanks are operating. If they keep moving, Klaus has a good chance of getting a spot.

Edit: I checked whether Popete can see the Jumbo as well, and it looks like the central ridge blocks LoS down there.

Thanks for checking Saros/Abelian.

So if the Jumbo continues to move forward will he fall into my LOS cone or is the ridge going to block any shot? I'll likely just stay put for now, hopefully I don't continue taking fire but if I do I'll move next turn.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

professor_curly posted:

Popete, you have a lot of choices to make. If you think it is practicable, I request you at least do a Target Briefly mission on those infantry moving up the road toward Firebase Hill. They're clumped up, they've got some exposed special weapons like that machine gun milling around near Junction City - take shots at these targets if possible, to relieve some pressure on the infantry as we shuffle positions a bit. I want Sherman Lane to forever be known as The Ditch The Americans Chose to Die In. However if you think you have armored targets to kill, focus on that.

What infantry are you referring too? Do I have LOS on the infantry in Junction City to fire on them? I'm also hoping to get a shot on that jumbo if I sit tight for a bit.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here is a mock up of what I'm considering, my first though is to move slightly more down hill to the north which is the reverse/quick/face order and then if there are no armour targets to target infantry near junction city. I don't know if this is all that feasible.

Reverse (green) to BB-10
Quick (yellow) to AA-10
Face (blue) ~220 degrees
Idk if i can do conditional orders but if there is a tank in sight then hold tight and take a shot if I can, else do a 15 second target briefly near Junction City the orange circle.

Popete fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 14, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

professor_curly posted:

I wouldn't move right now if I were you, personally. Staying still is very important for spotting/aiming and you've got good overwatch where you are. Only reason I would see for you to move is if those AT guns can see your side armor from over the hill.

As for targets, I was meaning these guys here for targeting, firing some HE into these infantry contacts:

Yeah I'm almost wondering if those Stuarts are taking pot shots with HE, they may be able to see my side from their hill. By moving slightly to the north I was hoping to get out of their fire.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

professor_curly posted:

Actually, that's not a bad thought. Fair enough, you might even want to scoot even slightly further north. You are basically at the top of the hill where you are now. Good catch.

I update my orders, moving slightly more north/downhill and changing my target briefly.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have to think it was the Stuarts, the shots were exploding directly off my left side facing Stuart hill and it was HE rounds. I'm not overly concerned about them killing me but knocking out a tread or killing my commander could be good as dead.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Saros posted:

Oh well either or then. The Stuart we can currently see is still moving and the other is strangely silent. Can that 37mm really pierce a panther turret from the side (no way they can see the lower half)? Especially one slanted away like Popetes is. It seems like a stretch to me but I can't blame you for better safe than sorry.

I think the HE could knock out optics or take out a track. I'm also unbuttoned so my commander is an easy target.

I'm not overly concerned about it but I would rather move to try and get away from their fire. Can anyone with the game check to see if were I'm moving to will give me full cover? Maybe I should button up too.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for taking a look, that gives a much clearer picture. I was always a little worried I might be misreading the height map and was over exposing myself to the south. I think moving down slope is the right call in general as I'm probably in sight of just about everyone right now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Saros posted:

There's like 3 layers of trees between Popete and the AT guns surely. You could always just rotate the turret left and blow the f out of a Stuart. Retreating from light tanks in a panther just seems wrong.

The problem is I don't think I can see the Stuarts at my current position, my commander is sticking his head out and my guys are not reacting. I could move slightly back and try to get an angle on the Stuarts but I think Saros you're gonna have better luck popping them as they may not have spotted you yet.

I'm a little worried with how much of the enemy can see me, they are going to setup AT guns or some sort of ambush if I stay put. Hiding myself from at least one flank makes it more difficult for them. Next turn I'll try and scoot back up the hill to get more visibility but with Klaus covering the other opposite direction I think we are ok for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If Saros puts pressure on those Stuarts then I can start rolling back up the hill into overwatch position to engage shermans. I'll basically move back to where I was last turn or even higher up on the hill.

• Locked thread