Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
1st Platoon looking fine, the cream of Teutonic manhood.

The fact that I got my last command slaughtered should not concern you men! Victory at any cost!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Popete posted:

SPOILERS

Well it's confirmed guys, the Americans do have weapons.

Whelp, there's all my planning out the window.

Also wow, that spreadsheet filled up fast. Good job dtkozl

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

Captaindirtnap posted:

I figure it'd be useful to know what I can do with 2/3. Who are these guys?

Edit: Ok, it LOOKS like the heavy squad is less mobile/armed aside from two squad weapons? I'm tankbait, aren't I?

Fire support is the preferred term, the tank shell's/mortars that accompany the position are irrelevant.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

professor_curly posted:

I traced out our deployment zones on the gridmap, in case it helps anyone.

I have some thoughts on where the infantry should go, but I'll wait for Abelain to set up the roll20 to avoid spamming the thread with wild conjecture. The only thing that I'm pretty solid is putting my heavy MG team at (Z, 12)

Thanks for this, was meaning to do that myself. Here's the same map but with the elevation map merged into it.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
tank riding is in the game, it's also a bit fiddly and not practicable for a map this small.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
yo dtkozl

can our squads split into components or are they stuck as a squad?

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Im a bit worried about the tank riders, if we can start the game with a squad mounted its less of an issue but considering how important it is for us to rush our armor into position we dont want anything slowing it down.

I've got the day off so will be making a effort post for 1st platoon in a couple hours.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
1st Platoon scouts have apprehended an American soldier attempting to pass a message through German lines.

Amis Scum posted:

Since your Battalion HQ isn't accepting PMs and the only places I know your Company HQ posted are in threads I can't read, I'm sending this offer to you: if you and your other German friends surrender now, I can put in a good word with my commander and let you spend Christmas in Paris. What do you say?

We're not sure who this message was intended for but rest assured any collaborators or traitors will be found and weeded out. Only the strongest of Germany's son's are wanted in this, the finest hour of the Teutonic Race.

A reply to this treasonous message was quickly formulated and sent back, brief and to the point.

1st Platoon posted:

NÜSSE!

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

1st Platoon HQ

Ok 1st Platoon, we have the finest minds the fatherland could assemble so what could go wrong?!

Chillyrabbit
koolkevz666
Explosive Tampons

We've been tasked with securing the western portion of the map, specifically "Taking the D Forest" which the red arrows below indicate to. We'll be providing a initial base of fire to curb any overly-eager American forces that might push across the middle of the map.

1/2 Squad (koolkevz666) along with most elements of the HQ squad (barring the rifle grenades who will QUICK along the forest edge towards the western forest.) will be hitching a ride on one of our Panthers, these squads (15 men) will start the game MOUNTED.

Klaus88, myself and 1/2 will need to work closely for this first set of orders. Infantry cannot dismount while the tank has movement orders so we'll need to request that dtkozl save the second or third turn for dismounting infantry, we'll want to FAST drive as far west as we can and FACE the enemy before they dismount. These mounted forces will run south and form an initial screen in the western forest while the rest of the platoon hoof's it in. These initial few turns are all about speed so I want everyone on foot moving QUICK. Once everyone has caught up and is in a solid defensive position we can re-assess and maybe push.

Abe is uploading some LoS video's that will provide all my squad commanders with good intel for picking the ground you'll be holding in the forest, I'm giving everyone free reign as to their pathing and final positions. I will however strongly suggest that all squads SPLIT as soon as they are able, 1/2 will need to wait till they dismount. Also try to keep your elements from bunching up and be aware of eachothers orders and movements.

That is all men, final preparations will be made and then we will drive the Amis back into the sea.

*Edit - Grid Map for this page.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 18, 2016

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

:siren::siren:EVERYONE USE THIS ORDERS SPREADSHEET, THIS IS HOW YOU MOVE YOUR MENS:siren::siren:

Abongination fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 18, 2016

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Chiming in that target arcs are the devil unless you want your troops holding fire.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Gonna quote this LoS video again, click it!

The tree's are really lovely cover, you don't need to advance all the way to the forest edge and expect fire even on the northern side's of the tree's.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Based on the orders spreadsheet (located here) we are still waiting on orders from:

2nd Platoon -

Flippycunt
Captaindirtnap

3rd Platoon -

Jon Joe

Support -

Xenolalia

Recon -

FrozenLiquidity

Get em in lads, if these posters are in your platoon or command prepare alternate orders just in case. First Platoon is of course fully prepared and deserves praise and medals.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Im sorry guys. My set of orders actually contained black magic layered in as invisible text as suggested by the Reichminister.

I think we may have unleashed something.... something truly evil.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Current Situation:

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
First blood to the American's but I'm liking the look of what we can see so far. Looks like they are spreading much more evenly across the map then we expected so our right hook across the map might do some serious damage, especially if it syncs up with our mortars landing.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Request for dtkozl

For the next video can you please run the turn without clicking on anything? Or pause while clicking on stuff? It limits what we can see to that unit's LoS.

Also, overhead map plz!

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
The flame sherman is still firing, they'll leave it alone or reverse it if they have a tank indicator visible in that forest. Either way Popette will hopefully get eyes early next turn and explode it.

Abe , does the jumbo looking up that road have potential eyes on the taking the D forest? Or is deathroad high enough to screen my infantry moving west?

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Don't forget to link your orders in the :siren: SPREADSHEET! :siren:

Also the blank map:

1st Platoon HQ

Chillyrabbit
koolkevz666
Explosive Tampons

Okay lads, the situation has developed and our plans need go on hold while Klaus does the lords work. This god drat Sherman is aching to put a pile of high explosive into your skulls but we ain't gonna let him.

Everyone needs to stay the hell out of the Jumbo death zone marked above, continue moving forward but I want no god drat heroics. Our armour is gonna prove it's worth and clear the route across death road, until then don't stress about getting to the woods first as we want the Americans nice and comfortable opposite us before the mortars start landing on em.

koolkevz666 , please check out that LoS video linked above and find a safe place for your men, I'm worried about em.

:siren:Here's a video:siren:posted by our fearless leader showing terrain and such in the forest you are moving into. Remember that there is a tank at the end of that road and it will kill the poo poo out of you.

ACTUAL ORDERS

Keep moving forward, in a safe and efficient German manner.

1st HQ Squad, MOVE near the forest edge of panther hill and FACE south as depicted above, if the squad has good LoS south/south-east just face em and don't bother moving.

Shrek Team, quick to the position marked along the map edge, QUICK then HUNT.

Gren Team, move to the position marked, MOVE

Abongination fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 27, 2016

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Popete, you might also consider a pause order for 15secs or so before you start moving, theres a chance you can hit the enemy from your current position.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
The break right before any action is going to cost us some players I reckon.

Need some tank death to get the juices flowing.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Whoooops, mighta forgotten about this a bit. No harm done however, we're still moving into position and Im looking forward to our mortars landing.

Good job on the tank kill, lets get that second one who went down the west road.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
My assumption is that the tank fired/missed and then the panther nailed it.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
I recommend that Klaus doesn't move and shoots as much as possible, popete/saros def needs to roll forward and engage asap. Klaus should pop the jumbo at the start of the next turn if it doesn't get him first, after that hopefully he'll be able to sight on the 76's.

All the infantry stacked on top of each-other from 2nd/3rd need to spread out and get into cover, at least we are spamming the tanks with targets so it might give Klaus more time.

The Luch in the centre needs to hold and shoot up some inf for a bit, it's in a bit of danger from bazooka's but should probably be fine, the whirlwind or our assault gun could cause alot of damage in support here.

1st Platoon

Chillyrabbit
koolkevz666

We need to get across death road and we need to do it right at the map edge, koolkevz666 will be taking the lead with this as he's pretty much in position. Position part of your squad to cover the bounding of the rest then get someone across to the area just south of the road asap. Arty's falling so be careful about going to far. Stick to the map edge and maybe hunt once you're across the road. We have panzerfausts and the shrek team will be follow shortly, hopefully we can force those 76's to run or turn once they realise we're moving across.

*Edit - Whoops, just saw that you've been controlling 1/3 kev, sorry. You can take back control after this turn.

Chillyrabbit I want you and 1/2 to spread out a bit in taking the D forest and cover south for this next turn, pretty much just try not to get shot by tanks and we'll get you moving once kevz is across in the next couple turns.

I'll be ordering 1/3, Explosive Tampons heavy weapons to cover once they are a bit closer, should be able to do it by the end of the turn and hopefully without massive casualties.

1st Platoon HQ will QUICK to B6 then QUICK to B10 along the map edge.

1st Platoon Shrek team will FAST to roughly the position marked, the intention here is to get LoS on the closest 76mm Sherman so please put em in a position where they are still in tree cover and they can fire on it, I've had a ton of trouble trying to figure out where the tank and best firing positions were on the grid map. I want to be placed pretty much directly opposite the Sherman since there is a tree blocking his western side.

Maybe like in this red circle or a bit to it's left? It's really hard to tell.

1/3 A Team will PAUSE for 15 secs then QUICK along the forest edge to B12 and FACE south.

1/3 B Team will PAUSE for 15 secs then QUICK along the forest edge to D12 and FACE south.

*Edit

Orders spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M6_9XqJynAJnVqTv3cnpCgHlGcEgUdQwG-kUsXxM4Gg/edit#gid=0

Also dtkozl mentioned a unit map in the video, that would help a lot with figuring out who's who. I've watched that video 50 times now and still can't place everyone exactly haha.

Can we also please get a count on how much arty we have left in the barrage?

Abongination fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 17, 2016

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

koolkevz666 posted:

Abongination are you sure you want me to try and move across Death Road? Team B will have to stop and recover as they are 2 KIA tired and rattled so fire support from them is I am guessing to be limited and I will end up sending Team A head first into at least two American teams. Another worry is that the American units in the center will have clear LOS on my guys and may slot them as they cross.

However, as the boss of my platoon I will carry out the advance if you want it just double checking first. Also what would be the best move order would it be Quick move? And maybe Area fire from team B at those American contacts?

As for 1/3 you can keep control I doubt HQ elements get to do much and it gives you something more to actually use, other wise I will happily take back control.

If the Jumbo doesn't get taken out then we won't be crossing so we're just aiming to get into the best position for now, the next minute is critical.

Use this next turn to get into a jumping off position near the forest edge, here's that video of good fire positions again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bh3v6tTu_4 the team that is going to go across first should be right on the map edge and aiming to get across the road and very close into the tree's. I'd say even "Fast" command for the crossing, for now just to get ground and get some eyes out south, don't use any area fire for now as the AI is actually pretty good about spotting and firing on it's own initiative and area fire means they ignore new targets that pop up.

Things change but we need to be in the best position to get across and take advantage of the chaos the arty and panther have caused.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 16, 2016

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

koolkevz666 posted:

So to clarify I am to stay on our side of the road this turn just at the tree edge and prepare to assault across possibly next turn with one team? Is this right or am I sending across one team now?

Edit: Just watched the video and the Americans are already in the tree line and are close if not up to the map edge in addition you got those two 76mm Shermans. Unless we can pin down those American teams I don't think we can get across. Team B is also down to only two men and are badly rattled so doubt they can provide any real fire support. I can try and move team A across to the map edge in prep for an assault but I will likely either get blasted down or pinned. Still the call is yours if you want I can try and move team A across but they will have to cross the front of team B.

So to clarify I am to stay on our side of the road this turn just at the tree edge and prepare to assault across possibly next turn with one team? Correct.

So for this next turn, your men should be in cover and shooting down any American's unwise enough to pop up in the opposite tree line, 1/3 should reach your position by the end of the turn and then your first element can dash across the road the turn after that if everything doesn't go to poo poo with the tanks.

Despite our random casualties we're in a much, much better position then the American inf opposite us. In addition to their long sprint they have been moving forward in a heavy arty barrage and their closest squad to us has been broken by the panther and is retreating. We also carry enough AT to scare the poo poo out of those tanks and either they stand and fight inf close up in the forest or they retreat out of Big D to try to get a bead on us and concede the area to our armor.

I've been giving general orders, not turn to turn. Our first objective was to make it into these tree's which we've pretty much done, they second is to get across that road if feasible and throw a big wrench into American plans.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
dtkozl whats our mortar ammo situation atm?

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

1st Platoon, go to ground! You don't need to hide but make sure you're facing the right way.

Command HQ, cancel orders and face south.

1/3 A & B, cancel orders and face south.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 21, 2016

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

dtkozl posted:

I doubt it makes you feel any better but I was forced to replay that turn several times and there were ones where you made it and others where you died at different points along that line.

The fact that you're running multiple turns is itself a bit weird but this turn is kinda hosed man, looks like you missed a couple orders that really hurt us. How many times did you run the turn?

-The Panther bugs out towards the end of the turn anyway so why wouldn't you leave the arc on? It was ordered to be on and it means we wouldn't have blue on blue slaughtered the remainder of our infantry in the west. I'd rather it not fire at all then what we've ended up with. Or move it .5 of a metre forward and avoid this whole issue, that's what we would have ordered if informed about it.

-The Whirlwind had quick then hunt orders.

-The western Luchs had specific orders to avoid doing exactly what it did.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 22, 2016

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Sit tight. No orders

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Also, everyone calm down with the target orders please. Noticed quite a few still on the click throughs and your dudes wont do poo poo about real threats if they are stuck on target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Can pause for 15 secs then do a small movement order to the direction you want to face

• Locked thread