Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Our infantry seems to have a good mix of long and short range weaponry so thats good to see, and on a man-for-man basis we should be able to poo poo more rounds downrange than the Americans should be able to. I'm assuming they're getting something to compensate for that like halftracks so whatever set up we go with we should get into position ASAP and then stay put so we can give them a nasty surprise if they over-reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

2/2

DEPLOYMENT - Split Squad in two and mount on Popete's tank.

MOVEMENT - Ride tank (PURPLE) until its stopping point, then dismount and QUICK(YELLOW) into positions marked on map. Face SSW (BLUE)

ALTERNATE ORDERS: I know tank riding is finicky as hell, so if for any reason mounting on the tank won't work please replace the mounted movement (PURPLE) with a QUICK order!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Captaindirtnap posted:

2/3

Deployment – AA2

Movement:
Quick to Z3
Quick to Z9
Split
Move 2/3 Anton to Y9
Move 2/3 Bertha to Z10
2/3 Anton FACE SSW (toward W12) and DEPLOY WEAPON
2/3 Bertha FACE SSW (toward Y13) and DEPLOY WEAPON

As usual, if anyone experienced with CM would suggest a better way of doing this, then I'm all ears. For instance, is moving Quick for the entire 3 minutes going to carry some kind of downside? How quickly will my squad make these movements? (Are they getting there in 60 seconds and sitting around for 2 minutes?)

Edit: SLOW movement into the trees was overkill, I don't want them to crawl, just not sprint. Disregard the purple lines in my image, those are now MOVE orders.

HUNT might be what you want, using that they will walk cautiously forward and hit the dirt if they encounter enemies. FYI this can backfire if you see enemies before you plan to as your dudes will stop where they are which might be out of cover. On the other hand with MOVE they'll sometimes leisurely walk into incoming fire to reach their waypoint which can be bad so...

I expect we'll rack up some fatigue getting into position initially but IMO it's worth it to be set up before the enemy arrived and not still running around in plain sight

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I dreamt about combat mission last night which I'm pretty sure is an omen that dtkozyl ran the turn and we've already emerged victorious with our superior strategisms

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

abelian posted:

Ok, sorry for being confusing. I'll use your map for orders next time.

Thanks for the screens showing the croc. I'd say priorities for more information:
  • screenshot showing a closer overview of the American positions
  • screenshots on the western side of the map
  • more screenshots from a top-down perspective
  • closeups on each platoon or group of our forces
Edit also of major importance: who is currently spotting the flame Sherman? What is the LOS from Popete's panther like? Is he close to getting a spot on the Sherman? Do we get any concrete infantry spots? If so, can we get some closeups of what kind of munitions they're carrying?

Looks like my dudes who got popped plus the platoon HQ have eyes on the flame tank ATM.

So do flametanks have a normal cannon but with a coxial flamethrower or what?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Assuming the Flaming Sherman hasn't already spotted the Panther I'm expecting an area target to continue to try and pulverize my dudes.

Which do you think would be better, crawl away, or FAST away to get into cover?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

abelian posted:

:siren: Calling everyone back to the thread and roll20 assuming that we're going to due this in less than 48 hours :siren:

Ok, here is my read of the current tactical situation:

We're still getting into position. First blood goes to the Americans, but we now know where some of their most dangerous assets are. Nothing we've seen so far should really challenge the overall battalion plan, so previous orders remain.

(Please excuse my groggy NATO symbols, but I just found this awesome site that will generate them for you and just had to use them.)

We've seen enough to be reasonably confident of the enemy infantry's maneuver plan. We have two tanks likely inside of Junction City (marked). From the intelligence standpoint, we have at least two enemy tanks and two recon vehicles to account for.

I need your help answering these questions:
  • Where are the two missing tanks? If I were them, I would put them on the flanks. It's possible that we just haven't seen them yet.
  • What do we do with our fire support? Do we move it up on the east as PC suggested? Or do we keep them more centrally located so we can push them in either direction?
  • How do we deal with the enemy armor in the middle? The big question here is, does Popete adjust position or just sit tight?
  • While it's tempting to put more guns on the spotted Shermans, it will take a lot to convince me that Saros is not better off sitting tight and protecting our flank. At least for one or two more turns.
  • Anything else that I am missing?
Post your thoughts in the thread and hop onto roll20 discuss what we should do.

My thought is we gotta hit that Sherman ASAP before he:

A) Fucks off into the fog of war
or
B) Peppers 2nd Platoon with tons of area target explosions

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

2/2

2A - SLOW (PURPLE) a little further into the woods towards Z11 face southwest (BLUE)
2B - SLOW (PURPLE) a little bit away from the rest of the command team towards Z12, face southwest (BLUE)

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 28, 2016

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

If 2nd Platoon is proceeding with Picketts Charge pushing forward I'd like to hold my squad back at least to provide covering fire and give my men a chance to recover from having a number of them exploded by tank shells.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

abelian posted:

Ok folks, less than 24 hours until orders are due. Especially need to hear from Popete. Gotta get our tanks in play here.

No problem, your orders from last turn are fine.

Will have orders in this evening!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

2/2

HUNT BOTH TEAMS SOUTHEAST (RED), FACE (BLUE)

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 10, 2016

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Saros posted:

Crap. By line of bushes do you mean the hedge by the road or the tree's the Stuarts are hiding in? We tested the LoS from the current position and it seemed to be abe to fire upon the area.

A Tank wouldnt fire HE at a panther I dont think? It might have been an infantry gun or something but i'd guess its probably a mortar. Either the start of a barrage or they are directng fire from junction city.

Could have been a "target area briefly" command from a something considering it was pretty much the same spot they hit previously.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

glynnenstein posted:

Provisional orders in the case that 2/2 doesn't get them in.

Flippycunt, I'm not trying to micro your command at all, just making sure we don't miss a turn of orders. Just replace these orders with your own in the spreadsheet if you can in time!

:siren:
2/2: Western-most team FAST to Z14, Eastern-most team FAST to AA14, both right up to the hedge.
:siren:

I'm here!

2/2

A team - QUICK to hedgeline at Z14

B team - QUICK to hedgeline at BB14

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Will post more complete thoughts later but IMO we should clean up their armor here in the east ASAP to allow us to shift our armor over to support the west. If we don't neutralize their Stuarts in the east soon our infantry platoon will be too depleted to hold the flank.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Flippycunt posted:

2/2

A team - QUICK to hedgeline at Z14

B team - QUICK to hedgeline at BB14

2/2

Continue move orders add TARGET mortar team once at hedge or area target their position if they aren't visible.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 18, 2016

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Added directions to target the mortar once in position to 2/2

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

dtkozl posted:

Axis Turn Seven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y2ci4l_JKQ&feature=youtu.be

Next order period ends Thu 12 pm EST

dtkozl, can we get a click through of our units so I can record our current strength and squad status?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Alright boys, here's the butchers bill so far:

As you can see our Infantry Company has lost a quarter of it's strength.

Couple thoughts:
+Our infantry does not seem to have fire superiority anywhere on the map at the moment. 3rd Platoon is probably doing the best in terms of trading shots with the enemy, but 1st and 2nd seem to mainly be cowering and dying because:
- The Americans have been far more aggressive with their armor and seem to have more infantry, plus on-map artillery support
- Our plan to get into position before they arrived didn't really pan out, plus the treeline so far has been almost worthless in terms of cover
- The Americans secured the town center, which actually seems to be some of the best cover on the map for infantry

+2nd Platoon is almost completely combat ineffective at the moment. Almost every team is pinned, tired, rattled, or all three. Concerned that if our Armor leaves we could easily be over-run by the Americans currently opposing us.
-Instead of throwing more men into the slaughter here maybe it'd be better to conduct a fighting retreat in the East, set up a new defensive line, and shift men towards the center where they'll be needed to capture the objective?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

professor_curly posted:

For the same reasons that we're having a lot of trouble advancing, trying to retreat is going to have a lot of problems. Any maneuver when you're under the kind of fire 2nd Platoon (well, 2/2 specifically) has been under will result in even heavier casualties. I also disagree that the center of the map is in any way good cover. That is an extremely untenable position they're in, and its only going to get worse as we move our heavy support vehicles forward.

I'd say that right now our infantry is stuck. That's why my orders are basically "stay still and don't die." If our guys try to get up we're going to get shot to pieces again.

However things aren't all bad. We don't know how much damage our mortar barrage did - but we lost all those infantry contacts we saw before. We've been spraying 20mm cannon shells into that center objective, and bushes aren't stopping those. Similarly the wespe is going to start opening up this turn and that's going to quickly eliminate any squad along the hedgerow where it hits. We've basically traded lives for position, and now our armor has much better reign to move where it needs to go. If we're smart, aggressive and decisive we can eliminate their heavy units and at that point we simply start doing to them what they've been doing to us.

Once that mortar team is dead, the whole eastern flank is going to be eaten alive by that Hetzer. They have no answer for our armor in the center, especially as we move the Whirblewind up the hill and start firing down into the center.

If Popete moves down the hill and across the Death Pit, which is is a bit risky but is the fastest path, then he can basically guarantee the armor fight in our favor. I've encouraged Popete to shuffle around back and forth trying to seek the perfect, ultimate position. Now I realize the error in that - the Panther is not a precious snowflake, it needs to be committed where it is needed most. Right now, that's against the Shermans. If Klaus handles it before Popete arrives, then he can turn to the center and start contributing to the massacre there.

The Whirblewind will probably spend the next turn or two contributing supporting fire into the ICU to support 2nd Platoon, particularly aiming to destroy the mortar team. Once the Shermans are taken care of we can start moving more support elements where they need to go - move the Lynxes forward through the treelines to start area firing the infantry, maybe send Pedro to support 2nd Platoon directly, whatever we need.

TL:DR - We have to assume we've been giving as well as getting, and we're in position to start putting the screws to them just as much/even more so than they have us. We just have to commit our armor where it is needed most and start firing at their support/tanks to take them out.

dtkozl I have a request - we know they have a mortar team setting up somewhere like M/N23. Can I give an order for my Machinegun team to move where it can see that position then set up to start area firing at them through the trees? Is that an acceptable order?

Obviously 2/3 and 2/2 are already out in the poo poo so it would be difficult to disengage them, but 2/1, 2nd platoon HQ, the HMG, and the reserve squad moving up for reinforcements are still far enough back to be able to disengage. Even if the Hetzer can clear out some Americans...against two Stuarts, two mortars, an AT gun and a fresh platoon of infantry we're going to continue to suffer constant infantry casualties due to how exposed Wounded Knee and Death Road 1944 are and how many different positions can fire onto it.

Our original plan was to force them to cross the open spaces under fire, yet we've been goaded into attacking in the open and have suffered as a result. In my opinion Wounded Knee and Death Road 1944 are just too exposed to be able to hold with the men we have and it would be better to save who we can on this flank and retain our reserve for assaulting the center objective.

If the main thrust to the central objective is going to be taking place in the center/west, what strategic advantage does holding this road give us?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

2/2

HIDE!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Reiterating my opinion that our Eastern flank is a deathtrap and we should pull back to less visible positions. They have a good defensive position containing AT guns, tanks, mortars, and infantry with overlapping fields of fire. Sending the panther and any reinforcements in is just throwing in good money after bad.

Lets pull back and deny their mortars and AT gun targets. Then they'll either be sitting there uselessly or forced to advance across an empty snowy field.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 22, 2016

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

2/2

Pop Smoke, if available, then SLOW to CC11. Select the same destination for both teams, want them to merge back together.

fake edit: seriously what the gently caress imgur :argh:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Death Chart Turn 9

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

2/2

Same destination as before but switch to QUICK move to CC11. Select the same destination for both teams, want them to merge back together.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Thanks for the reinforcements, appreciate it!

Company HQ

PAUSE 30 seconds, then QUICK, east into the woods a bit, then QUICK north to DD8 and FACE south.

2/2

No orders since unit is panicking and it's too dangerous to move him while the Stuart is there.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I believe they have one Sherman left. In terms of infantry assets I've got to imagine the Americans have taken significant losses in the west from our arty barrage and the center where our armor has been punishing them. Their eastern platoon should still be in good shape since we never hit them too hard. So I'd imagine their infantry is probably not too much stronger than ours at the moment although they have more support assets like AT guns/mortars. If we can push them off the center objective without too many losses I think we've got this

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

With them still holding the center objective I'm not sure we'd win on points.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The only way their Stuart move makes sense to me is if they:
A) Thought our eastern panther had left the area or
B) Didn't realize we've had two panthers this whole time

To be fair to them it we didn't have the panther over here that Stuart could have been a massive pain in the rear end

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I think a combined assault with our armor and 3rd platoon onto the center objective could probably secure it in 5-7 mins

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

2/2

Stay put, FACE South.

Company HQ

HALT movement, FACE South.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

2/2 and Company HQ

Continue previous orders.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah I'm good, thanks. I feel like this is probably the Americans last hurrah, if we can deal them a heavy blow here I bet they capitulate.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

2/2

AREA TARGET the spot where the bazooka team appeared at the hedge. If there is no line of sight please TARGET the closest spot east of the bazooka team along the hedge that I have LOS on.

Company HQ

HUNT the inside of the treeline at EE10, face south.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Scratch one armored car and 5-6 confirmed infantry kills. If we can catch them in the open running away we can probably obliterate the best part of that platoon.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Company HQ

QUICK to EE10, face south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

dtkozl posted:

Allies have surrendered I'll do a end video soon.

Please do a unit click thru so we can see how many kills each unit got.

Suspecting 95% of the kills were by our armor and mortars.

• Locked thread