Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pycckuu posted:

I hate the American ESPN commentator in every match.

Let me tell you about Andres Iniethta and Sergio R-r-r-r-r-ramos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

Slovakia are officially better at scoring goals against Russia than England

Slovakia and Wales to top the group, Russia to get kicked out, England to finish third and not make it into the knockouts.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

dogboy posted:

With 4 of the 6 teams that make 3rd place advancing into knockouts its really difficult to achieve that.

England will find a way.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I like this bit:

quote:

In a statement, Adidas said: “We are looking into what happened. Incidents of this nature are extremely rare. The reason for the tear has not yet been identified but Beau Jeu has been widely praised by respected experts for its contribution to the exciting start to the tournament.”

Adidas can't even tell what exciting football looks like anymore.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

saucerman posted:

It's just marketing. They're obviously not going to say that the tournament is boring.

Wow really? No way!

Doctor Malaver posted:

"This is a different situation and a return to the old system is obviously not possible anymore. So we have to accept that." - says Low.

Why wouldn't it be possible?

Money is the big reason, democracy is the other one.

First, more teams means more matches played and more participating countries, which means a larger watching market as well. More teams qualifying for the knockouts means the same thing: more matches, and more teams stay in the tournament for longer which means those countries keep watching the tournament in larger numbers, which means more money.

Second, changes to the Euro format are voted on by UEFA member nations, and all the poo poo countries want a good chance of qualifying so they want to expand the tournament, while the teams that usually qualify and sometimes have a chance of winning the thing don't want to expand it as much because they already qualify and the more matches they have to play, the worse their chances of winning.

It's almost a certainty that at some point the tournament will expand to 32 teams and be the exact same format as the World Cup, which would at least get rid of the idiotic third-place-qualifying rules. After that I doubt it will expand again.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Why not make a two month tournament with all the teams then? And get rid of qualifiers.

Qualifiers also bring in a ton of money because there are way more qualifying matches than actual matches at the tournament finals. And qualifying is such a tradition of the sport that I don't expect to see it go away, it only really doesn't exist in tiny continents like South America that only have ten teams and have to invite outsiders to their tournament. In a continent with over 50 countries, having a two-year qualification period is good because it brings in money and adds some excitement about the final tournament.

Also for the actual teams involved, having a qualification campaign is good because it gives you proper competitive matches in which to play players and try formations and sack managers. And from a viewing perspective, it weeds out the garbage teams like San Marino and the Netherlands.

Besides, isn't UEFA switching to that like qualification league thing for next time? With divisions and weird qualification rules?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

32 seems crazy when there's only 55 Uefa teams. Would be no point in qualifiers

Well, if they keep letting in teams like Gibraltar, eventually UEFA will have 100 teams and most of the qualification will be spent watching French Polynesia play the Outer Hebrides and you'll be glad they kept it around.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

atomic gog posted:

Theyre thinking of expanding the world cup to 40 teams iirc

haha of course they are :suicide:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hegay posted:

I hate the euros this year gently caress sake. Germany - Slovakia, Hungary - Belgium should not be knock out matches. Usually the euros had like one or two surprise team making it to the knockout, but with so many 3rd spot teams going through its just ridiculous - usually you just wanted the group matches to be over so the proper tournament could start, but this year there's an additional 8 matches before it proper starts

By this point since they clearly won't go back to 16 teams I honestly think it would be better to expand the tournament to 32. Having a round of 16 isn't so bad (and clearly won't go away) but having third place teams qualify is completely stupid and I'd rather have more groups with more poo poo teams but keep it to just the top two from each group, like the World Cup.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Jonathan Wilson laments Euro 2016 being a poo poo tournament:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jul/12/euro-2016-death-possession-football

quote:

Instead, this is a lament for the best of the international tournaments, three-and-a-half weeks of sustained quality and interest destroyed by greed, political expediency and the woolly-minded give-everybody-a-go mentality that breeds mediocrity. Just because Euro 2012 was also a disappointing tournament doesn’t change that: the previous three Euros were all excellent. International football is drowning in the dilution of quality.

Euro 2016, perhaps, will be remembered as the first homeopathic tournament.

• Locked thread