Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Would you eat the bog butter?
There is no butter I will not eat. I would eat the bog butter.
No, I am terrified of the bog butter and would not eat it.
View Results

• Locked thread
mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
If you can dig up some nice bog wine to pair it with, why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE
Someone probably got in big trouble for losing a hundred pounds of butter :( I would have some to put their spirit at ease.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Ah maaaaan....bog butter, again?

I'm not sure if I'd try it or not, it would depend heavily on the smell.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Serviette posted:

How many chances do you get to eat 3 000 year old food!?

every time I visit ur mom

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

so many ppl voting to eat bog butter

maybe I could make money selling my stinky socks on SA mart?

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

quote:

Hyena butter is a secretion from the anal gland of hyenas used to mark territory and to identify individuals by odor. The gooey substance is spread onto objects within the territory of the hyena by rubbing their posterior against the object they mark.[1][2][3]

African legends state that witches would ride hyenas and use a gourd full of hyena butter as fuel for the torches they carried through the night.[4]

In certain regions of central Africa, local people spread Hyena butter on toast.

Goddamn, that's pretty gross. Do they just keep hyenas around in a pen to butt-milk them for their morning toast or what?

Or do they sniff out a good milky rock or bush and rub their toast on it?

E: I'm assuming that's a fake wiki edit but I also wouldn't have believed in bog butter before today so who knows.

Two Free Toppings fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 15, 2016

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Tace Vim posted:

so many ppl voting to eat bog butter

maybe I could make money selling my stinky socks on SA mart?

Depends. How did they get so stinky? :cumpolice:

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS

runupon cracker posted:

every time I visit ur mom

Joke's on you: that's my great50 grandmother, you dawg, you! :smuggo:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yo, you dis my bog, you butter my hog.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yo, you dis my bog, you butter my hog.

You dig?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If this was the 20th century this find would be used in advertisements for Kerrygold somehow.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Lol at anyone so bitchmade that they wouldn't.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't see why not, it couldn't make me sicker than that coleslaw I had at the Brick House Tavern

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

cheerfullydrab posted:

If this was the 20th century this find would be used in advertisements for Kerrygold somehow.

Why not now? When I read this in the news my first thought was Kerrygold.

Also lol if you don't use Amish butter. It's grass fed, hand churned, and you get a 10 pound log for like $7.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Butters I would consume:
Bog
Dog
Fog
Log - gonna start calling maple syrup log butter
Nog - as long as it isn't Ferengi but more like egg nog
Yog - sounds like butter made from the madness of an old god

Butters I would not consume:
Cog - oil?
Hog - :gizz:
Jog
Mog - sounds like something from final fantasy and I don't wantto turn into a weeaboo looking for mog butter to dip my pockie into
Pog
Sog
Zog

naem
May 29, 2011

There's a pretty good documentary about bog dangers on Netflix I give it a solid 3/5 bogs

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That bog monster shouldn't stare right at the camera it breaks the 4th wall.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Now I wanna eat bog udders

a garbanzo bean
Jun 14, 2016

by Shine

Joementum posted:

Jack Conway of Ireland has found a 22 pound lump of butter estimated to be 2,000 years old in a peat bog.

This happens a lot:

The bog keeps the butter preserved and, often, edible. But would you eat it? Would you eat the bog butter?

If I were guaranteed that it wouldn't instantly make me throw up or kill me, yes

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tectonis posted:

I thought the thread was going to be about dog butter. This is a real let down, whelp only thing left to do is kill myself I guess.

You are not alone.

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
I might be compelled to try it if I were drunk enough.

Connor the Conure
Jun 4, 2016

Spoiled to all hell
I bet you could hose off the dirt, give it a fancy name and sell it to rich twats.

Capsaicin Coffee
Nov 15, 2009

An exquisite aroma and wonderful, searing, capsaicin induced pain.
There is no scenario in which I would not eat the gob butter.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
In seriousness, how would I be given the chance to eat some of that bog butter? Or will it be food for only the elite?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Edgar posted:

In seriousness, how would I be given the chance to eat some of that bog butter? Or will it be food for only the elite?

The top one percent of the top five percent have ninety percent of the bog butter and I for one say that is wrong!

Connor the Conure
Jun 4, 2016

Spoiled to all hell

Edgar posted:

Sounds like it's common enough that you can just fly over there and wade around until you trip over your own barrel of it.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Welcome to Ireland laddy, are you here for business or pleasure?

I'm here for your ancestor's bog butter! Brought an extra suitcase for 50 lbs at least!

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Hyenas are cats you colossal moron

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Cowboy Pope posted:

Hyenas are cats you colossal moron

I know for a fact that cats make milk you can even buy cats milk at Walmart for a refreshing warm weather drink.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

a garbanzo bean posted:

If I were guaranteed that it wouldn't instantly make me throw up or kill me, yes

How do you feel about curses?

http://www.sciencealert.com/this-newly-found-2-000-year-old-lump-of-bog-butter-is-still-edible

quote:

Because of these conditions, and the fact that the butter was found without a wooden case around it - which was common for keeping butter safe for later consumption - the researchers studying it think it was buried as an offering to the gods or other spirits for protection.

In other words, no one simply forgot about their butter in the swamp. It was left intentionally, and was never meant to be unearthed.

Eating stolen bog butter that rightfully belongs to ancient pagan deities sounds like the start of a horror movie to me. Not a good one either. You could find yourself trapped in a low budget horror movie with terrible special effects, the worst kind.

I assume that's why they aren't letting anyone eat it, and have instead sent it to a museum.

quote:

The bog butter is now residing at the National Museum of Ireland. There's no word yet if it will be put on display.

http://i.imgur.com/Oiyojux.gifv

• Locked thread