Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Problem description: My computer started doing this about once a night for the past week but is now crashing VERY often. The monitor(s) (one or both depending if I have 2 hooked up) go black and lose input but the computer keeps running. It seems to be running fine still after the crash ie. if twitch or some video is playing in the background the audio keeps going normally. This led me to believe it was almost certainly the GPU (wrong). I can only get back to desktop by hard rebooting (holding power until it shuts off).

Attempted fixes: I replaced my GPU with a brand new one.(GTX 970). I have checked all temps that I can with HWmonitor and all seems fine. The only thing it doesn't seem to list is RAM but I did touch the ram after a crash and it did seem very hot. Could this be the cause? The other thing is the machine is old and I have never replaced the thermal paste on my CPU but the temps read okay (60C max). Can the computer still function (sound, power etc.) if the CPU crashes? Other culprit I am thinking is PSU but again would the rest of the computer continue to function in that case?

Recent changes: Added a new monitor because my old one was seemingly dying. It would lose signal and then come back every so often. Perhaps this was actually not the monitor afterall?

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit

System specs: i7-2600K OC'd to 4.2GHZ on a CM hyper212 on an ASUS p8p67 mobo - MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4g (REPLACED with EVGA GTX 970 FTW+) - 16gb DDR3-1600 - Samsung 840 EVO 500gb (OS/games) - 2tb HD(media) - 1tb HD(media) - did I miss anything?

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, all advice pointed to GPU but this is 99.999% certainly not the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What's the brand and model of your power supply? I would try resetting your CPU back to stock speeds for testing as well.

• Locked thread