Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

JiveHonky posted:

because the sound phases from front to back. its an illusion.

made possible by you having only two ears.

checkmate atheists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
hory poo poo

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

thathonkey posted:

anyway do you really think 7.1 makes a difference over 5.1

There is a difference, but at that point it's definitely diminishing returns. I had the full 7.1 setup at my old place but after I moved I just stuck with 5.1 and never bothered to reconnect the other 2. It would probably make a more noticeable difference with super high end matching speakers across the board and well produced source material though.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

and on the 7.1th speaker, god rested

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JiveHonky posted:

i havent heard of that is it available on blu ray?

No it's only on pink ray. :smug:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i listen to dolby pro logic II eclustively

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Germstore posted:

made possible by you having only two ears.

checkmate atheists.

remember when michael madsen tortured that cop in reservoir dogs? he was dancing around and cut the guys ears off with a straight razor...

that was pretty messed up

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

JiveHonky posted:

remember when michael madsen tortured that cop in reservoir dogs? he was dancing around and cut the guys ears off with a straight razor...

that was pretty messed up

i watched it in 7.1 and now i have ptsd

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i reenacted it live

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
the first time i saw that movie i only saw half of it because my dad had rented it on VHS and we popped it in and i was digging it, but when it got to the torture scene he stopped the movie, ejected it and said something like "sorry we arent watching this trash"

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Upon further reflection I have decided that the up and down dimension is missing so you need four more speakers.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i need an 8" sub that fires directly into my anus during the beach scene of saving p ryan or i cant get off

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Germstore posted:

Upon further reflection I have decided that the up and down dimension is missing so you need four more speakers.

dolby is working on a new speaker configuration designed to accurately reproduce sounds originating in your butt

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

thathonkey posted:

i need an 8" sub that fires directly into my anus during the beach scene of saving p ryan or i cant get off

good news

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
also some tweeters that i can wear on my nutsack might help go a longg way

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

me and you are gonna watch the entire Harry Potter series on blu ray and everytime someone casts a spell i will throw glitter on you and fart in your face.

this is the future of home theater

d00kiemastah
Jun 11, 2006
An afro is the symbol of a man.
All the musicians I've met have poo poo speakers from Wal-Mart. But I know lots of people who don't play that can show me what Dark Side of the Moon sounds like in perfect clarity, in 8.1, after forty years of tinkering with it!

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

MiracleWhale posted:

dolby is working on a new speaker configuration designed to accurately reproduce sounds originating in your butt

Why would I need to reproduce those sounds when I can make them myself?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

d00kiemastah posted:

All the musicians I've met have poo poo speakers from Wal-Mart. But I know lots of people who don't play that can show me what Dark Side of the Moon sounds like in perfect clarity, in 8.1, after forty years of tinkering with it!

arent musicians mostly tatted up burnout drug addicts? they cant really afford home theater equipment

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

crabcakes66 posted:

Why would I need to reproduce those sounds when I can make them myself?

outsource your farts and save big on labor

d00kiemastah
Jun 11, 2006
An afro is the symbol of a man.

JiveHonky posted:

arent musicians mostly tatted up burnout drug addicts? they cant really afford home theater equipment

Uhh no, haven't you seen TV? They're rich and their dicks fall out of their pants for fun. It's really kind of sad

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
i had thousands of dollars in speakers, amps, homemade 250 lb sub (lol really)

then i moved to an apartment so i sold it all and now i just use some uhh vmodas i think

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

d00kiemastah posted:

Uhh no, haven't you seen TV? They're rich and their dicks fall out of their pants for fun. It's really kind of sad

their dicks fall out? pm me

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
My speakers are called hate speakers and every sound they generate is hate speech

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I just got two bookshelf speakers and my Denon receiver

I'm poor so I can't afford to buy anything this is just what my friend gave me when he moved. Still a lot better than the TV speakers

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!
I have some harman kardon soundsticks they look like 2 dildos and a prolapsed anus but they sound good to me

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I have a mismatched Yamaha HS-5 and HS-50M, because I bought one 50M then they discontinued it.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Lol at all the spearkers with the foam donut so you can see the "thump." poo poo dryrots in no time fast while paper speakers from the 50"s still work and sound better.
I got some lovely home entertainment set up in the living room, and in the office is a nice 150 watt stereo amp and sick, strong speaks that I've yet to really crank out on.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

JiveHonky posted:

my front 3 are JBL, Northridge series. my 2 rear surrounds are klipsch and my sub is a 12" forward-firing 300 watt Polk. its all powered by a Pioneer Elite reciever.

and i cant use any of that poo poo because i live in a condo with shared walls on both sides.

if i could use them it would sound pretty good tho

not my speakers but they are kinda like that

I also live in a condo with shared walls on both sides

and they're both renters so gently caress em 7.1 blaze it erry day

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Champenema posted:

Lol at all the spearkers with the foam donut so you can see the "thump." poo poo dryrots in no time fast while paper speakers from the 50"s still work and sound better.
I got some lovely home entertainment set up in the living room, and in the office is a nice 150 watt stereo amp and sick, strong speaks that I've yet to really crank out on.

Subs really do need to move a lot of air to be effective, the cone moving a lot isn't just for show. But yeah, rubber surrounds are better than foam.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Champenema posted:

Paper? What is this a business office? gently caress off paper man. We're talking music here not office supplies.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Rockford Fosgate R300-4 4-Channel 300 Watt + 2x12'' sub enclosure that i can drop into the car or boat

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
Two 12" pyramid super pro's in my basement. Not even kidding.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

I rock some B&Ws from the 60's. Also I am a babby

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

lol nice onesie. did your mom buy you that?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

JBL Control 5s in the garage
TDL transmission lines in the living room
Bill Fitzmaurice T60, T39 and OT12s in the conservatory
M-Audio AV42s along with a Mordaunt Short genie sub in the bedroom

Various other speakers of varying vintages in storage.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

Germstore posted:

lol nice onesie. did your mom buy you that?

I scavenged it myself from the dumpster out back a Kmart. I ama crafty babby

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

88h88 posted:

JBL Control 5s in the garage
TDL transmission lines in the living room
Bill Fitzmaurice T60, T39 and OT12s in the conservatory
M-Audio AV42s along with a Mordaunt Short genie sub in the bedroom

Various other speakers of varying vintages in storage.

Did you build the Fitzmaurice stuff yourself? I'm thinking of making a Tuba and am curious about peoples experiences.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

marauderthirty posted:

I also live in a condo with shared walls on both sides

and they're both renters so gently caress em 7.1 blaze it erry day

i wish i had the balls to be like you but i'm all "concerned about disturbing people" like a spineless bitchboi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I have some KRK RP5's first generation :smug:

I used to have two 300w 10" kenwood subs behind my couch. Though when i want music I mostly just fart the sonic the hedgehog soundtrack, and other classic compositions, as well as american train noises in chronological order, starting in 1830.

• Locked thread