Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Currently number 32.

I tried to ditch Comcast for CL fiber network but when they came out they said they had to drill a bunch of hardware into my house. I'd be okay with it but I'm renting and my landlord, while pretty cool, doesn't want stuff like this going on.
After talking over our options, I decided not to get the service and the tech cancelled the order.

I just got a bill for almost $300 in "unpaid services" so now I have to deal with these chuckleheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

What type of music are they playing while you're on hold?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Macnult posted:

What type of music are they playing while you're on hold?

None, it's a chat box online. Actually, I'm listening to The Adventure Zone, if that counts.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I was a e-chat person for Bose for a little while. You're one of 4 or more people they are talking to at the same time and they are probably laughing at how you type.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

WHOA BREAKING NEWS
I am up to #7 suddenly.
drat

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Windows 98 posted:

I was a e-chat person for Bose for a little while. You're one of 4 or more people they are talking to at the same time and they are probably laughing at how you type.

Probably, I type like a complete idiot.

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
Tell them they have to work fast because your dick is melting

Dick Bass
Feb 22, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

None, it's a chat box online. Actually, I'm listening to The Adventure Zone, if that counts.

This takes the fun out of an Indian man shrieking most horribly at you.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dick Bass posted:

This takes the fun out of an Indian man shrieking most horribly at you.

Their call center isn't 24/7 somehow. Like, HOW>?>?>?>???

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Like, didn't you know that fiber required digging and putting things through a wall?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

brylcreem posted:

Like, didn't you know that fiber required digging and putting things through a wall?

Nope. The guy who set up my order said they would take out an old coax line and replace it with their stuff. I guess he had no clue. Plus, I don't know anyone with fiber since it is really new in this area.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I'd kill myself if I couldn't get 50d/50u mbps at a minimum.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Windows 98 posted:

I'd kill myself if I couldn't get 50d/50u mbps at a minimum.

I currently get 125/15 through Comcast and I talked my bill down now that they have competition.

CenturyLink said that the account was now in collections even though I got the bill yesterday and the number they gave just goes back to their closed call center.
Now I have to wait until Monday or go visit a brick and mortar store (if those exist around here).

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Inzombiac posted:

Nope. The guy who set up my order said they would take out an old coax line and replace it with their stuff. I guess he had no clue. Plus, I don't know anyone with fiber since it is really new in this area.

Inzombiac posted:

CenturyLink said that the account was now in collections even though I got the bill yesterday and the number they gave just goes back to their closed call center.
Now I have to wait until Monday or go visit a brick and mortar store (if those exist around here).

That's some bullshit. They probably get a lot of cancellations, and are using scare tactics.

The thing about the coax should be grounds for cancellation. You were sold an "impossible" product.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

It's not unusual to pull new cable through where old stuff used to be, installers do it all the time. I wired my house with CAT5 by taping it onto the ends of all the (now useless) coax runs and pulling it through.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Put random periods in your sentences instead of where they're supposed to go.

Brb buying a time machine.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

thats a pro fuckin podcast. good job.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

brylcreem posted:

That's some bullshit. They probably get a lot of cancellations, and are using scare tactics.

The thing about the coax should be grounds for cancellation. You were sold an "impossible" product.

So I went to the physical store and, if I had to bet money, I would say that no one had been in that place before. The two dudes behind the desk didn't look up when I, the only other person in there, came in. I also had to start the conversation which is "Bad Customer Service 101". One guy gave me some vague answers and the other dude wouldn't look up. He wasn't on a computer, he was just staring at his desk.

They said they could fax my information to their boss and that he'd look into it sometime next week or I could call their support line that is only open when I'm working. He clearly didn't want me or anyone else in the store.
How is this a company that still exists.

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

thats a pro fuckin podcast. good job.

Hell yeah!

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Think of all the Cox you could have with that money.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Pay your bills, dead beat

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I thought century link was the old people taxi service

Tytanium
Oct 27, 2006

YASSEAH!

Inzombiac posted:

Currently number 32.

I tried to ditch Comcast for CL fiber network but when they came out they said they had to drill a bunch of hardware into my house. I'd be okay with it but I'm renting and my landlord, while pretty cool, doesn't want stuff like this going on.
After talking over our options, I decided not to get the service and the tech cancelled the order.

I just got a bill for almost $300 in "unpaid services" so now I have to deal with these chuckleheads.

I have CL gigabit and it's great, also renting but the landlord was cool with it and also paid for the installation fee. Helps them in the long run after you move out anyway.

Buy your own router, the one they lease/allow you to buy is poo poo.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
gj talking your bill down with comcast op you must be a master negotiator

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I thought I hated Comcast until I tried ordering CL fiber last year. For a month, every truck they sent out told me it wasn't available while everyone on the phone insisted it was. The people they sent out seemed surprised but unconcerned, as they were getting paid either way.

It took me a month of calling and hours on the phone to finally get a definitive answer: Nope.

Just last month I had to get them back on the phone because they had sent my account to collections for an unreturned DSL (!?) modem. I still get ads for fiber in the mail and via email.

These days I think Comcast is the bee's knees.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
At work we contract a ton of T1's through Century Link and they are just the absolute worst. Getting them to fix anything requires constant babying.

E: Out of the major American ISPs I'd put them above only AT&T. Comcast is generally ok depending on the region

Pendent fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 18, 2016

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Just don't pay that poo poo there's no need to talk to them OP. Rip up the bill and throw it away.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

yes because the kind of collection agencies that buy bullshit debts from cable companies totally won't hound someone until the end of days with harassing phone calls

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

rakovsky maybe posted:

Just don't pay that poo poo there's no need to talk to them OP. Rip up the bill and throw it away.

What terrible advice!
I actually have a very good history with disputing claims by employing the two magic tricks:
Professionalism and Patience.

It's amazing how much help you can get when you're not screaming obscenities.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

What terrible advice!
I actually have a very good history with disputing claims by employing the two magic tricks:
Professionalism and Patience.

It's amazing how much help you can get when you're not screaming obscenities.
Very few people understand this. When I worked for an isp the shouting people would get the minimum assistance I could provide without getting fired. Which never required me to fix their problem that's for sure

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
you should type in drop caps like a 13 year old on AIM circa 1999

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
So, they sent a tech out to check the property out and assess the installation needs and now you don't want to pay them for it?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

yes because the kind of collection agencies that buy bullshit debts from cable companies totally won't hound someone until the end of days with harassing phone calls

Call up the credit bureau and say 'this charge is fraudulent, they are unable to produce a payment agreement or contract' and it'll disappear. You can even do it online now. TransUnion will get back to you in like 2 days.

Then if the collector still harasses you after that you can get $$$ from them.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 20, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Roylicious posted:

So, they sent a tech out to check the property out and assess the installation needs and now you don't want to pay them for it?

Call up the credit bureau and say 'this charge is fraudulent, they are unable to produce a payment agreement or contract' and it'll disappear. You can even do it online now. TransUnion will get back to you in like 2 days.

Then if the collector still harasses you after that you can get $$$ from them.

The first tech either lied about the process or was uninformed and, as someone else said, tried to sell me an impossible product.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Inzombiac posted:

The first tech either lied about the process or was uninformed and, as someone else said, tried to sell me an impossible product.

Yeah I'm just being a douche, that's an unreasonably high fee for such a thing anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Roylicious posted:

Yeah I'm just being a douche, that's an unreasonably high fee for such a thing anyway.

So your behavior matches your AV?

Buuuuuuurn.

I called the number that the clerk gave me and it went to a disconnected line.
What a loving garbage company.

• Locked thread