Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

i'm an american who knows about the EU and its borders, but not how the UK being in it helps them... or at least doesn't hurt them as much as their austerity government does. can you explain it to me instead

It's the same reason why this is a thing.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/05/which-states-are-givers-and-which-are-takers/361668/

I'm sure I could find a better link, but I have other things swirling around in my mind right now and I am about to go to bed.

It's the same purpose as a union. The same purpose as having a united states. the same purpose as making an european union.

It levels thing out amongst a grouping of what the gently caress evers.

It's why kids asked to be graded on a "curve" in school.

because the sum of the parts is greater then the whole.

Now, with that being said. If one of the parts feels it is being so loving negatively impacted it would be better to break away, and its people agrees so and votes for such, then who the rat gently caress am I to stand in there way?

In a modern context, to what I just said, hey Texas. You wan to secede? Sure, go ahead. Just be prepared for what the gently caress happens to you, from your actions.

Same with Britain. Same with a Sovereign citizen.

Six of loving one, half a goddamned dozen of another.

Savvy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Saga posted:

In theory? We have an actual IRL common market with free movement of goods, services and workers.

The whole situation is bizarre, in that we are basically about to gently caress our economy up because of racism and xenophobia in a small part of the Conservative party, which has lead to a referendum being forced on Cameron, which has actually given credence to the notion that leaving the EU might be a good idea.

There is no actual cogent or pressing argument for leaving the EU at this point other than "we are scared that non-white people or people who speak Foreign will continue coming to Britain". The rest is just magical thinking or plain made-up:

"The EU is undemocratic" (despite the fact that we elect our European parliamentarians, the Council is made up of the delegates of our democratically elected national governments and the fact that we have an incredibly centralised and insular political class in the UK that is only really good at representing rich people in London and the home counties).

"Losing the common market isn't a problem because another one will come along in a minute" (or, alternatively, because we all need to close our eyes and really BELIEVE harder in the UK economy).

Or, "we're giving all our money to the EU!" (a net figure is perhaps £8 billion, out of total public spending of ~£750 billion - so a princely 1% of public spending annually for access to the common market and a significant say in European law and politics).

Yes but don't worry, anti-immigrant hysteria is doing pretty well north of the border as well, so this may not even trigger a new independence referendum.

Wow, they would give all that up, just to ensure they have the freedom of self government in the future. :911: So proud of you lads.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Boaty McBoatface was a better name than BRexit.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Good riddance to bad rubbish. The EU will be better of without british influence.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ork of Fiction posted:

Wow, they would give all that up, just to ensure they have the freedom of self government in the future. :911: So proud of you lads.

yeah seriously. if they don't vote to leave now they will never be presented with the choice ever again!

as if the UK would never be offered a chance to re-join in the future lol. leaving means they can preserve their sovereignty, and have the option of rejoining if things look better in the EU. if they vote to stay the option will be "put to rest" and political integration will continue to to point where leaving the EU is not an option any more.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Rutibex posted:

yeah seriously. if they don't vote to leave now they will never be presented with the choice ever again!

as if the UK would never be offered a chance to re-join in the future lol. leaving means they can preserve their sovereignty, and have the option of rejoining if things look better in the EU. if they vote to stay the option will be "put to rest" and political integration will continue to to point where leaving the EU is not an option any more.

I've heard it will take the better part of two decades to finish disentangling themselves from the EU if the vote passes. :shrug:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I dare say old chaps that the EU is bollocks if it makes us behead our queen then it can piss right off :monocle:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ork of Fiction posted:

I've heard it will take the better part of two decades to finish disentangling themselves from the EU if the vote passes. :shrug:

seem to me it would only take a day for parliament to make a bill that cancels the Treaty of Lisbon and makes it invalid in the UK. i'm sure figuring out exactly what that means will take the courts a while, but that'll be some jolly good fun!

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Saga posted:

In theory? We have an actual IRL common market with free movement of goods, services and workers.

Does that actually benefit a country with a big trade deficit?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Danger Mahoney posted:

Does that actually benefit a country with a big trade deficit?

it does not benifit the country as a whole, but it does benefit middle class professionals who can work in the EU and get cheaper prices on imported european goods

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

dethkon posted:

EUs army

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

dethkon posted:

Wait- how big is the EUs army compared to Britain? Although if they can stall the initial invasion force, it'll probably come down to the Air Force like in ww2... what is southern England's industrial capacity, and how long before they can be restarted for war production? Those limey's might just be able to stand a chance!

EU's...Army? Dude, The Germans literally had loving broomsticks on their tanks at last year's NATO wargames in place of machine guns.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Imagine having to bribe every aristocrat in Europe just to keep them from voting some new safety measure that will shut down your ports and cost you millions to meet the new requirements.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

The EU is a lot like being married to a violent criminal who has just kicked the poo poo out of Greece for not giving it it's loving money back, and Britain is all "well I want to leave but I loooove him, and even though I have no control in this relationship and one day he'll probably beat me to death, but I do get slighty cheaper groceries because he has a sweet reward card. Also I'm worried that my neighbors will think I'm racist if I leave"

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I'm still waiting for an article where J.K. Rowling bribes donates a large sum of money to ensure that the majority of the UK's population vote to stay.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

VendaGoat posted:

In a modern context, to what I just said, hey Texas. You wan to secede? Sure, go ahead. Just be prepared for what the gently caress happens to you, from your actions.

People keep on bringing up Texas and seceding and... what? Like, that was a thing that some stupid loud tea partiers railed on about a few years ago but as a Texan, I haven't heard poo poo about it in ages and nobody ever took it seriously.

Texas has it's faults, yes, but at least secession never even had any potential of making it to a referendum. Lol UK u dum

Jesus Christ fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 22, 2016

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Burn Britannia!

Does Vegas have odds on this?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
i hope that the uk has the balls to leave

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
:3: he did it

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Only one thing is certain and that is that this thread should brEXIT gbs!

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Why is the EU failing as a whole?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbcvdKwmCtg

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

8 track betamax posted:

brstay

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

8 track betamax posted:

so I take it you vote leave

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
It's so exciting! I want them to stay since London is like 2 hours flight away, and If I ever become a plumber/electrician I would like to move to England for a while.

On the other hand, If they leave there will be fun chaos, and both british and european politics would become more interesting for a couple of years.

Same as with Trump, its probably bad, but its funny.

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
We are being invaded by Paki's, blacks and poles and all the scum of the world as Germany is in total command of Europe, our borders and is destroying Europe again with out a single shot fired.

How has this been allowed to happen? And that disgusting thing called Merkel, was voted Time Magazine person of the year, you have got to be loving pulling my leg?,

she has single handedly destroyed Europe, ethnically cleansing us native Europeans with ficki ficki rapefugees.

Who the hell put her in charge anyway?

What pisses me off even more is that Cameron and his cronies hijacked the brexit vote with that Manchurian Candidate "Chance the Gardner" and sacrificed the life of an innocent yet libtarded politician to get more votes.

Even the Queen can't think of 3 reasons to remain.

Remain is now the official Zionist c.u.c.k vote.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Seeing as the UK is all about referendums to let states leave Unions, how about a referendum to let the Six Counties join the Republic? :nsa:

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
As an Aussie, I voted to leave, to annoy GBS and sjws (like when I vote Tory in your generals).

owned, lol.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded

VendaGoat posted:

It's the same reason why this is a thing.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/05/which-states-are-givers-and-which-are-takers/361668/

I'm sure I could find a better link, but I have other things swirling around in my mind right now and I am about to go to bed.

It's the same purpose as a union. The same purpose as having a united states. the same purpose as making an european union.

It levels thing out amongst a grouping of what the gently caress evers.

It's why kids asked to be graded on a "curve" in school.

because the sum of the parts is greater then the whole.

Now, with that being said. If one of the parts feels it is being so loving negatively impacted it would be better to break away, and its people agrees so and votes for such, then who the rat gently caress am I to stand in there way?

Same with Britain. Same with a Sovereign citizen.

Six of loving one, half a goddamned dozen of another.

Savvy?

Not when some of the parts are negative quantities.

E:
If you're gonna get hosed by the oinkers no matter what you do, you might as well be hosed by the local pigs than the Brussels trough drainers.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 22, 2016

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

Ape Fist posted:

Seeing as the UK is all about referendums to let states leave Unions, how about a referendum to let the Six Counties join the Republic? :nsa:

What? After we tricked Britain into taking them?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Brexit is awesome and I support any country's right to shoot themselves in the balls.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
so how many more hours until we get to see just how racist and stupid the british electorate is?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tramadol Junkie posted:

We are being invaded by Paki's, blacks and poles and all the scum of the world as Germany is in total command of Europe, our borders and is destroying Europe again with out a single shot fired.

How has this been allowed to happen? And that disgusting thing called Merkel, was voted Time Magazine person of the year, you have got to be loving pulling my leg?,

she has single handedly destroyed Europe, ethnically cleansing us native Europeans with ficki ficki rapefugees.

What pisses me off even more is that Cameron and his cronies hijacked the brexit vote with that Manchurian Candidate "Chance the Gardner" and sacrificed the life of an innocent yet libtarded politician to get more votes.

Hello Tramadol Junkie!

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Tramadol Junkie posted:

alt right bingo is tomorrow dude

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Hogge Wild posted:

Hello Tramadol Junkie!

Good morning.

Guess I will take my months ban now. Shame though I just came off one.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I take tramadol for back pain it's pretty rad

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I vote for whichever option has a better chance of tearing the UK or Europe apart.

Not because I specifically hate the UK or Europe, just that I mostly hate the world and want more chaos.

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013
Britain can take practically infinite refugees. Everything north of Birmingham is abandoned. All 25 million Syrians would fit in a single Welsh valley.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

proof of concept posted:

so how many more hours until we get to see just how racist and stupid the british electorate is?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Zombiepop posted:

It's so exciting! I want them to stay since London is like 2 hours flight away, and If I ever become a plumber/electrician I would like to move to England for a while.

On the other hand, If they leave there will be fun chaos, and both british and european politics would become more interesting for a couple of years.

Same as with Trump, its probably bad, but its funny.

It would be funny to be a plumber in london because they install their poo poo-pipes on the outside of their ramshackle 1000 year old victorian mansions and it would be cool to laugh at that up close instead of just by looking at pictures of it like how I do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
iirc tramadol junkie is an invalid who lives entirely off of other people's tax dollars and spends his time writing holocaust denials (or something along those lines)

I want, like, a number that accounts for people who aren't insane statistical outliers

• Locked thread