Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Back in the 80s and 90s, before Wizards of the Coast took over D&D, TSR was a functioning (well, nominally) game company that tried branching out into various non-fantasy RPGs. Some of you might remember, e.g., Star Frontiers or Top Secret. As far as I was concerned, their best game (even more than D&D) was always Marvel Super Heroes. TSR licensed the IP from Marvel back in 1984 and produced a Basic Set version in '84, followed by an Advanced Set in 1986. Each used the same basic system, based on rolling percentile and cross-checking the result on a color-coded chart against your character's rank in an attribute or power.

The Basic Set was extremely streamlined and easy to pick up. The Advanced Set added more complexity, but remarkably for a time when simulationist and crunch reigned supreme, still managed to be pretty straightforward and fast-paced (and was definitely less work/math than Champions/Hero System games).

That said, the earlier modules were maybe not always that thoughtfully written. You can get a sense of the sort of quality by reading this classic WTF D&D playthrough. I usually did my own scenarios, or heavily modified premade ones, but you know what, I spent way too much money buying some of these the first time around and dammit, I mean to run them. I'm hoping at least some of you are into exploring a pre-Marvel cinema juggernaught/old school RPG world of superheroic action.

Two quick notes:
1) This is babby's first CYOA, so don't be surprised if I'm not super smooth running this the first few posts.
2) I will be making rolls behind the scenes, as well as avoiding posting crunchier stuff (like statlines or roll results) for now at least.

Our first choice! Which module should we start with? Here are your options for now:

A: CAT'S PAW

A team of Canadian super-dudes and super-chicks take on ghosts, hydroelectric bay shenanigans, and a Canuck kaiju, all without government sanction. Largely because they probably have more interesting stuff to worry about.

B: LAST RESORT

Iron Man is defeated and captured at the hands of a Boy Scout Troop. The second lamest iteration of the Avengers---the West Coast Avengers, featuring Tigra and Wonder Man---have to crash the Jamboree to sort his poo poo out.

C: LONE WOLVES

Future stars of their own Netflix series become the subject of the Most Dangerous game (well, really more like the 80s supervillain version of Punk'd) in the concrete jungle of New York City.

:siren:Voting is open till midnight PST Thursday (technically Friday, but you know what I mean, right?) :siren:

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
The Complicated Voting System

Shamelessly copied and pasted from the [CYOA] Master Post.

quote:

Complicated answer for advanced players:
  • The entire vote should be Bold text (select the whole thing, press ctrl- or cmd-b)
  • Preceded by ##vote
  • In all cases, individual votes should be preceded by the question number (1, 2, etc)
  • Primary choice goes first. This must be a letter (A, B, C, D, etc)
  • Secondary choices should be separated by either a semicolon (;) for rank preference, or a comma (,) for indifference.

Thus, if voting for B primarily, with A and C as secondary options, and D as a tertiary option, you would type:
code:
[b]
##vote
1 b;a,c;d
[/b]
And if you a better idea than any of the listed options, you can do a write in as follows!

Plan [yourname]: Something else - Write in. If you have a write in vote, please vote for Plan [yourname] and then write in the plan under your vote
Finally, anything NOT in bold will not be counted, so keep that in mind when voting.

quote:

This is how it works:

Votes inside a post look like this:

##vote
1 A; B, C; D
2 Plan Tran
Bonus C

Votes must be in bold, must contain no blank lines, may not lie inside quotes, and must not be followed by bold text without a blank line or non-bold text in between them. Options omitted from a question are treated as if ranked below the options that are included. Questions that are omitted from a vote indicate that the voter has no preferences for that question.

For question 1, the example voter:

Prefers A over both B and C
Is indifferent between B and C
Prefers A, B, and C over D
Prefers all of the above over anything else
For question 2, the voter prefers "Plan Tran" over anything else

For question "Bonus", the voter prefers C over anything else

If a post contains multiple votes, only the last is considered. If a voter makes multiple votes in different posts, only the most recently given preferences for each question are considered.

Although the format supports voting for multiple options with the same level of preference, this should not be confused with voting for a combination as a single option that might win monolithically. In other words, a vote for "A, B" is not a vote to do both A and B, it is a vote to do either A or B. To vote for a combination, voters should create write-ins, or use singular option names like "A+B", which have no special meaning.

Voters favoring an option that is similar to other options should consider taking advantage of the format to vote for the similar options in addition to but at a lower preference rank than their favored option. This increases the chance that something like their desired option will win, without weakening their vote for their desired option.

Question names

"1", "2", and "Bonus" are question names
Question names are arbitrary text that does not contain white space
A "." or a ":" at the end of a question name is ignored
Question names are case-insensitive

Option names

"A", "B", "C", "D" and "Plan Tran" are option names.
Option names are arbitrary text that does not contain line breaks, "," or ";"
White space surrounding option names is ignored
Option names are case-insensitive

Although option names may be arbitrarily long, the following conventions are recommended:

Avoid long option names. The longer they are, the more likely someone will make typos while entering them, requiring manual cleanup if their vote is to be properly counted.

Write-ins of more than a few words should not be written as options directly. Instead, the author of a write-in should describe their plan in prose of whatever length, and give it a short, unique option name such as "Plan Tran". The write-in author and any other voters so inclined may then vote for the write-in with the short name.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 24, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
B.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
A. Welcome to Canada

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

C - Lone Wolves (The earliest)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

C and welcome to CYOAs :D

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

C !!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

C

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
C

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
A

:canada:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
B

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Alpha Flight, motherfuckers!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

C

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

ibntumart posted:

The second lamest iteration of the Avengers---the West Coast Avengers

I will fight you.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
B

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
A

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe
B

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Quote vote

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
C Kraven the hunter!

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=324

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Adventure, EH?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Let's get ready to shirl!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A TRUE NORTH STRONG!

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
C and replace unknown redhead character with Jessica Jones.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
That redhead is the Black Widow! That was her early 80s look (it's kind of hard to see the boob-spider on the module cover):

:siren: Also, we have a tie between A and C! :siren: Next vote for either takes it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Change my vote from B to A

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Canada's premier superhero team it is! :siren: Voting is now closed. :siren:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Cat's Paw it is!

That's right, move over impolite and flashy superhero neighbors to the south, it's time to combat evil with Canada's premier superhero team! Alpha Flight was the top tier of Departhment H, the Canadian Ministry of Defence's superhero training and superhuman threat response program. Their first appearance was in a 1979 issue of The Uncanny X-Men, where they showed up to kidnap Wolverine on behalf of the Canadian government and got trounced by Logan's X-Buddies. Their failure was all the more bitter since the government decided to shut down Alpha Flight while the team was getting their butts kicked by Wolvie, Cyclops, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Banshee (RIP, you magnificent ginger bastard).

Alpha Flight's leader, James Hudson AKA Guardian, was allowed to keep his security clearance and run around with his Alpha Flight teammates on an unofficial basis. Also, he's dead now and his grieving wife Heather MacNeil Hudson is one of your unofficial contacts. Also, Wolverine tried to put the moves on while she and her husband were on their honeymoon, but I guess she was no Jean Grey because Wolvie bolted before sealing the deal.

So where does that leave Alpha Flight at the beginning of this adventure? They're basically like a typical US superhero group: no official support, but they fight super-crime anyway and generally have the respect---and sometimes unofficial support---of the police and government. A couple of the members also have a mystical/spiritual duty to protect Canada from evil, and the others are just patriots and do-gooders. Except for Puck, he's just looking for adventure while he whiles away his immortality.

:siren: Vote on the team's current members! :siren: Voting ends Saturday at 9 PM PST

You hosers get to pick five heroes from the list below. I'm experimenting with the complicated voting system, so that means follow the voting format (second post of this thread) and pick five heroes in order of preference. And if that turns out to be too much work, I'll just tally up the votes manually and go with the five highest results.

Your choices:

A. AURORA

Who is this: Jeanne-Marie Beaubier, twin sister of Northstar, is a schoolteacher. She also suffers from Multiple Personality Disorder and can switch from a polite, mild-mannered persona to a superconfident, aggressive one if she gets hurt. Originally she had the same powers as Northstar, but Sasquatch decided to play God again perform some tests on her and now she can do slightly different poo poo.
Superpowers: She can fly extremely fast and has a moderate protective field around her when she does. Her signature power is generating a blinding pulse of light. Additionally, she registers as a normal human and not mutant to anything or anyone that detects mutants.

B. MARRINA

Who is this: Marrina Smallwood is actually a Plodex, i.e., an alien monster, but she was raised in Newfoundland as a normal human and she's pretty chill.
Superpowers: Fully amphibious and crazy fast swimmer. She's so fast she can create a giant waterspout several miles across when in a sufficiently large body of water. She can secrete a blinding oil from her pores. Also, sometimes she transforms into a psycho alien killer, growing wickedly sharp claws and eager to make people-kebabs with them.

C. NORTHSTAR

Who is this: Jean-Paul Beaubier is an Olympic-level skier, mostly due to his shameless use of his superhuman quickness and kinetic control. Kind of a dick and only doing this superhero thing to keep an eye out on his sister (who really should be in therapy rather than fighting bad guys, but meh, even Canada's healthcare system has a gap here and there).
Superpowers: He can fly at ridiculously fast speeds, and like his sister, has a protective field around him when flying. Specializes in superhumanly quick flurries of punches. He can generate light like Aurora, but only if he's in close proximity (and she can do it on her own anyway).

D. PUCK

Who is this: Born in 1914, Eugene Milton Judd was both a giant of a man and an incredible athlete. He became a mercenary seeking the Black Blade of Baghdad. Upon claiming it, he was attacked by the being known as Black Raazar that possessed the blade. The spirit of Black Raazer lengthened Judd's lifespan, but also caused him great pain and to become much shorter.
Superpowers: None. He has a signature fighting move based on the movement of hockey pucks, though, where he cartwheels around and smacks into people. It's surprisingly effective. Also he's an expert bullfighter.

E. SASQUATCH

Who is this: Walter Langowski is the Canadian answer to the Hulk. Seriously, Langowski subjected himself to massive gamma radiation so he could be like the Hulk. Instead, he became a giant orange-furred manbeast. Obviously he's a gifted scientist. Obviously his methods are... questionable.
Superpowers: Ridiculously strong and tough. He can leap pretty far. Normally he's in full control of his faculties when he transforms, but if he gets angry or hurt, sometimes he flies into a murderous berserker rage.

F. SHAMAN

Who is this: An ersatz Canadian version of Dr. Strange. Michael Twoyoungmen was a noted surgeon, but medical science couldn't save his wife, so he had his grandfather teach him his people's ways. He is a member of the Sarcee tribe and is the only First Nations member of the team, by the way (and no, Snowbird doesn't really count). Oh yeah, he also met Snowbird's mom and delivered the infant Snowbird into the world. He uses that fact to get away with lecturing her now and then.
Superpowers: A mystical pouch that can pull out whatever crazy poo poo the writer can justify. That has included healing potions, teleportation dust, entangling vines, and so on. Whatever he wants has to fit the pouch's opening, but he can also make miniature items that magically grow to normal size after he pulls them out, so never mind the opening restriction actually.

G. SNOWBIRD

Who is this: You really should click the link. In a nutshell, she's the daughter of an Inuit goddess and some guy, and is a guardian of the Great White North.The incarnation of Canada itself really. Her divine mission is to fight against evil mystical beasts, but when she's not doing that, she's fighting other weirdos with Alpha Flight. Despite being an Inuit demigoddess, she is always presented as a tall, pale blonde woman.
Superpowers: She can turn into any animal found in the Canadian Arctic. She can also fly and has the postcognitive powers. Oh, and she also has the power of rapidly withering away and dying if she leaves Canada or its coastal waters.

H. SOMEONE ELSE CAPTAIN CANUCK

Who is this:

Brazenly lifted from Comic Vine posted:

When Canada becomes "the most important country in the world...in the 1980's," new precautions have to be taken to protect its resources. The Canadian International Security Organization locates two men "of unequaled physical and mental prowess" to be trained as "special 'super' agents." One, Blue-fox, turns out to be a double agent, leaving only Tom Evans, as Captain Canuck, to keep the peace.
So let's say he was part of another Canadian government superhero program that got shut down, and so he hooked up with Alpha Flight.
Superpowers: Alien tech in his suit gives him moderate super-strength, protective energy barrier, and flight. The suit also filters out airborne toxic gases. Also he has stun batons. I gave him the Leadership Talent since he's the Captain of this team, after all.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 27, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Screw this list! We need more patriotic heroes and less american copy!

##vote
H: Captain Canuck. Canada flag as his costume.

H: The Polka Dot Pirate. She is nuts!

H. Red ketchup. He look like arnold schwarzenegger.

H. Northguard. Goddamn I don't think that someone can top Captain Canuck in patriotic costume.

H. Captain Newfoundland. "A cross between Superman, Dr. Who, and awesome disco beat."

Source

Edit: fixed source link.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 24, 2016

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I meant Marvel characters, but I was admittedly a bit vague in writing up H.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

##vote
1) G; F; E; A; H

H = Loki pretending to be a good guy for some reason

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 24, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nyaa posted:

##vote

H. Northguard. Goddamn I don't think that someone can top Captain Canuck in patriotic costume.

H. Captain Newfoundland. "A cross between Superman, Dr. Who, and awesome disco beat."

Source

I was gonna be all serious about my answer, but drat, this is my choice now. :allears:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

ibntumart posted:

I meant Marvel characters, but I was admittedly a bit vague in writing up H.
I don't know who is marvel characters, but i know they are true Canadian heroes! :canada:

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Nyaa posted:

##vote

Source

This looks right.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

##vote
1. A, D, E, F, G

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Nyaa posted:

I don't know who is marvel characters, but i know they are true Canadian heroes! :canada:

Fair enough! For sake of my sanity and limited free time, though, I'm only going to be able to stat up a couple of new heroes...modifying voting options accordingly.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
All of you not voting for Puck are huge disappointments.

##vote
1. D; E; H; C; A

##vote
1. D; E; G; F; H

My H is Patch, who is definitely not Wolverine.

See? Definitely not Wolverine. Would Wolverine wear a suit? And why would Wolverine need an eyepatch?

Edit: Vote changed to reflect my realization that Snowbird and Shaman would be way more fun to cartoonishly roleplay.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 24, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
1. B
2. D
3. E
4. G
5. A

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

RandallODim posted:

My H is Patch, who is definitely not Wolverine.

See? Definitely not Wolverine. Would Wolverine wear a suit? And why would Wolverine need an eyepatch?

Don't forget his associate.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yesssssssssssssss I will try not to use the fact that I owned several of these modules influence my decisions. It's been decades since I had 'em anyways.

##vote
1. H;D;C;A;F

My H option is a character I've always loved for no appreciable reason at all:

Madison Jeffries as Box

A guy with the mutant ability to reshape inorganic material by touching it who's also molecularly bonded to a suit of Iron Man-esque power armor. Which is made of inorganic material. Which means he can turn his armor into a spaceship. Or a howitzer. Or a 20-story-tall kaiju-fighting robot. Or even any other drat thing we can think up; those are just examples I recall from Alpha Flight comics.

He's like if Mister Fantastic and a Transformer had a baby, how do you not love this guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

D and then four other guys I guess

• Locked thread