Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Glad it's the weekend, i've had no time to play this due to work. :( Will try to get in a lot of playtime today and tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I've got 2 hours and 15 minutes to kill at work before I can get back to saving Shibuya while my friend Barry Goodman watches anime. :(

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I like how Touma uses the same sticker over and over again.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I was playing smoothly until I accidentally hit on one of those blue mirages and got my rear end handed to me. To make matters worse, I lost an hour of gameplay because I didn't save.

Don't be like me. Save your games often.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

There's no way to get subtitles for all the random battle chatter is there? Do I just need to watch more anime?

Lord Ephraim posted:

Finished chapter 2. Great game but some of the minor side missions are just npc hunting with no marker. If the rewards are like Persona 4's bland request missions I'm just going to skip them.

My biggest gripe is forced gamepad usage. There's plenty of unused buttons that can bring up a map or twitter messages. If you're not going to have off TV play then I should be able to play the game with the gamepad off.

It's a shame sidequests in SMT games are almost universally barebones and lame.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rexroom posted:

I was playing smoothly until I accidentally hit on one of those blue mirages and got my rear end handed to me. To make matters worse, I lost an hour of gameplay because I didn't save.

That's the main reason I hate 'save anywhere' games with no auto-save. At least it warns you before bosses unlike some others I could mention.
That said I haven't died ever to the tough enemies yet but beating them at a lower level is almost entirely dependent on Tsubasa having her level 2 super move ready to go.

The Moon Monster posted:

It's a shame sidequests in SMT games are almost universally barebones and lame.

The main character sidequests are a bit more involved but even then can degenerate in to 'kill five of this enemy'.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I went into the second major boss fight unprepared (had only one revival item) and I had to reset after Tsubasa got wrecked. Fortunately I saved right before the boss, so now I can properly prepare for the fight.

Every time I worry about this game being too easy on Normal, I'm reminded that enemies can take advantage of Session too and can ruin your day if you're not careful. This game is sick.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

The Moon Monster posted:

There's no way to get subtitles for all the random battle chatter is there? Do I just need to watch more anime?

they're all basically variations of "let's do this!" "you got this buddy I'm here for you" "calm down tsubasa" "c-c-calm down??"

oh I guess the bosses have chatter too, just random threats

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

These boss fights don't gently caress around, wow.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
I'm eternally grateful that reinforcements can't attack the turn they arrive.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rexroom posted:

Oh poo poo, guess I'll start saving often, i figured it had an auto-save on top of saving everywhere.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Game is good. I like the tone and style of everything. I wrecked my first Savage encounter using Itsuki's special session ability. Barry not being playable borders on criminal.

Those are my thoughts so far.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I'm stuck on the first Tiki sidequest. Does anyone know where I can find the missing weeaboo in Shibuya 106?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

KonvexKonkav posted:

I'm stuck on the first Tiki sidequest. Does anyone know where I can find the missing weeaboo in Shibuya 106?

Fourth floor

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh poo poo, guess I'll start saving often, i figured it had an auto-save on top of saving everywhere.

Yeah I've lost like an hour twice because I kept forgetting to save.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Haven't started yet but I heard from another poster to play the dub cause there's a lot of relevant chatter during the fights that isn't subbed. C/D? I have a feeling it's just gonna be useless Japanese battle cry stuff. I could probably find out by just playing but GAMER PROBLEMS

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It isn't subbed, it's random unimportant chatter, and there is no dub.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Haven't started yet but I heard from another poster to play the dub cause there's a lot of relevant chatter during the fights that isn't subbed. C/D? I have a feeling it's just gonna be useless Japanese battle cry stuff. I could probably find out by just playing but GAMER PROBLEMS

There's no dub. If you don't speak Japanese you simply don't get to understand what they say during battle.

It's a little annoying at first but after a while it becomes clear they're really just repeating the same phrases so I don't really care

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, I have a feeling I'd actually be way more annoyed if I could understand any of it because when I actually pay attention to what they're saying I hear lines repeat constantly.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

whaley posted:

This is the best, everyone complained Nintendo was censoring the titties in this. I'd really like to know where those are among the millions of other big jiggly titties in this game
Yeah there really is no shortage of that, if this is the 'toned down' version then lol

Game is very silly and somewhat SMT, everything I expected really

Set it on Easy without any guilt despite the description. I know how SMT goes you cagey fucks

Cake Attack posted:

how much of the combat dialogue you understand without subs just from watching anime is the purest test of your character imo
hell, even if you don't you can get a feeling from the tone of their voice, everyone hams it up

I am guessing there's about zero chance but a later patch to add in subtitles there would be great though, at least for the bits that aren't just something like "yeah hit that guy"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I read somewhere that the harder difficulties give you the same amount of experience as the easier, and that Normal gives you the least overall, which is cool and way better I think than the usual dumb SMT thing of "everything's way harder to kill and also you level up really slow, gently caress you."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Normal so far feels about the same as a (PS2) Persona game, you're not in much danger from standard enemies but bosses and special encounters can still wreck you if you're not careful.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, Bosses on Normal in this game are giving me more trouble in an SMT not named Devil Survivor than I've had since like, the beginning of SMTIV or vanilla P4, which was my first SMT and back when I was still terrible at these games.

Overall this is actually decently challenging, I think.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hard hasn't been that tough so far, although I'm still in the first big boy dungeon

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, I have a feeling I'd actually be way more annoyed if I could understand any of it because when I actually pay attention to what they're saying I hear lines repeat constantly.

Yeah, it's a little unfortunate because they're not just battle grunts, but there aren't a huge variety, so you get the same sentence over and over

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cake Attack posted:

Hard hasn't been that tough so far, although I'm still in the first big boy dungeon

The boss at the end of that dungeon could one-shot my party members, have fun

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
On the note of hard bosses, -kaja spells don't stack here ?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CrashCat posted:

Yeah there really is no shortage of that, if this is the 'toned down' version then lol

I tried searching for something that listed the differences, but all I could find was youtube videos. They all start with poo poo like VIDEOGAMES:siren:CENSORED:siren: and then I cringe so hard I pass out and when I wake up the video is over.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't have a wiiu so I'm gonna use this thread as a proxy.

so how much is BARRY GOODMAN in this game out of 100%?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

being able to save everywhere/no auto save/being booted to the title screen if you die is a pretty awful design combination

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

i'm in the third post-prologue dungeon and he hasn't had a lot of screentime yet.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

There's an entire chapter devoted to Barry.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Moon Monster posted:

I tried searching for something that listed the differences, but all I could find was youtube videos. They all start with poo poo like VIDEOGAMES:siren:CENSORED:siren: and then I cringe so hard I pass out and when I wake up the video is over.

All characters are aged up to 18+

If a costume shows any skin they painted over it with chrome paint (look up the wedding dress)

Some scenes have random black clouds covering girls chests

There's a subplot of a demonic photographer that got altered somewhat and now all his photos are more tasteful, the character he kidnaps is also no longer in distress and is just sitting in the background bored

Swimsuit outfits are gone entirely and any scenes with them are also gone (instead the characters now have trendy clothes or in Maiko's case overalls??)

Some DLC is just straight up not getting sold here or bothered with (Typical Hot Springs anime scene or Beach scene or something like that)

Something about pelvis bones being gone or something I don't loving know

That's about all I've heard so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If a costume shows any skin they painted over it with chrome paint (look up the wedding dress)

This is hilariously untrue if you've actually played the game. They changed a few costumes but not remotely all.

Edit: Like, hell, Maiko and her giant-rear end improbably-wobbling boobs alone should disprove that.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's a subplot of a demonic photographer that got altered somewhat and now all his photos are more tasteful, the character he kidnaps is also no longer in distress and is just sitting in the background bored

This is also untrue. The character is being forced into a 'stylish' pose and looks distinctly uncomfortable when they snap out of it.

I can't speak for the others but those two in particular are just straight-up huge exaggerations at best.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 25, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

being able to save everywhere/no auto save/being booted to the title screen if you die is a pretty awful design combination

This is probably my only real complaint about the game. It's just unnecessarily sloppy design in an otherwise really solid game.

e: censored: those poor ladies' vagina bones

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That's about all I've heard so far.

Maybe next time someone that actually played the game can confirm this because this is how non-fanatics get roped into their side.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll be honest and say that, based off what I heard about the Japanese version vs what I've played of the localization, the photographer plot honestly makes a lot more sense and comes across better in the US version. It goes from being embarrassed about bikini photos to being more about general photography, which in turn makes the sympathetic elements come across better. The change to focus on 'communicating intent through photos' and from bikinis to stylish (or 'stylish') clothing helps sell what the scene is going for better than bikini photos would to an English-speaking audience i suspect.

To be honest before it came out people talked a lot about how 'inexplicable' the change is but in context the bikini photo thing isn't really relevant. It isn't a plotline about being embarrassed, it's a plotline about communicating meaning through body language and the embarrassment is kinda secondary to the character just having trouble doing that until she realizes how important it is. (And while I know they changed the dialogue I'm pretty comfortable saying that this was the intent of the Japanese plotline too, though I may have to go look it up.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 25, 2016

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

End of Chapter 2 spoilers.

The moment where the question "Are you biracial?" was asked was really funny to me with it just seeming to come out of nowhere.

Also the photography thing seemed way better with the trendy clothes than if it was full of creepily starring at girls in bikinis.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

This is hilariously untrue if you've actually played the game. They changed a few costumes but not remotely all.

Edit: Like, hell, Maiko and her giant-rear end improbably-wobbling boobs alone should disprove that.

This is also untrue. The character is being forced into a 'stylish' pose and looks distinctly uncomfortable when they snap out of it.

I can't speak for the others but those two in particular are just straight-up huge exaggerations at best.

I'm just going off the pictures I've seen off the videos he mentioned :v:v

Tae posted:

Maybe next time someone that actually played the game can confirm this because this is how non-fanatics get roped into their side.

I can confirm the cloud covering girls thing is still in (for a single scene which is funny as hell), and there's photos of everything else ontop of what ImpAtom clarified. They also confirmed we won't be getting the DLC at E3 (I believe? It was some press event).

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 25, 2016

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Nintendo's official DLC schedule doesn't have the hot springs, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
can they only give us the male beach costumes tho

• Locked thread