Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-24/global-recession-risk-above-50-on-brexit-t-rowe-price-warns

this is kinda bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Hey Britain what's the typical amount of USD pocket change I'll have to throw to get you guys to dance on the spot when I'm there on vacation in 5 years?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
From UKMT: T. Rowe Price estimates that we are now more likely to enter a recession than not.

e;fb

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Somebody explain to me real quick why they are qutting if they got their way? Wasnt the vote camerons idea?

Cameron's party was split, he was the half of his party that didn't want to leave. He promised the brexit group that if they gave him another term as prime minister that he would totally give them a brexit vote, pinky swear.

And then it turned out that he couldn't weasel out of it, and even worse it actually passed.

Typical deal-with-the-devil stuff. Always read the fine print.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Junior G-man posted:

120 billion pounds wiped off already.

SynthOrange posted:

Here in the southern colony the share market imploded to the tune of 50 billion aussiebucks today

links for these hard numbers please

Morbus
May 18, 2004

vanbags posted:

The more I read about this the more confused I get. I was reading an article that Britain could still negotiate a deal with the EU in the same vein as Norway, to maintain unfettered access to the European markets, but it pointed out that Norway has to adopt 3/4 of the EU rules and legislation. Assuming Britain can't get a better deal than Norway, this seems like a lot of trouble to still end up in the same boat, only this time you're losing the ability to actually vote on EU laws. Is that not a worse deal? What does Norway get out of not being part of the EU that Britain could also enjoy?

Honestly despite being "not part of the EU" Norway is in practice as integrated or more integrated with the EU than the UK is (was). And of course Norway is a Schengen member, despite not being part of the EU (same with Switzerland), which you would think is the most relevant part to the dinguses whining about borders.

But that wasn't the point. A lot of people voting to leave are not making what you or I would consider to be an informed or rational decision.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

pillsburysoldier posted:

links for these hard numbers please

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-24/brexit-sees-british-pound-slump-aussie-dollar-follow/7540150

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Meanwhile Finland's stock market is closed due to midsummer boozings celebrations. Maybe things have calmed down before it opens.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
FTSE recovering from 8% to about 4.5%?

Europe still crashing though?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://markets.wsj.com/europe : It's a bloodbath, Ireland is down 16%, Spain down 14%, France down 11%

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
the dying breath of the British Empire is not a noble and dignified peaceful death in bed

it's a particularly wet and raunchy fart directed at immigrants and refugees

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
you thought it was just a little gas, but then you poo poo your loving pants

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What a bunch of loving imbeciles.

The markets will probably recover a bit soon [edit: I loving hope so, my portfolio is down 6%, thanks Cameron :mad:] but in the long run I still have no idea how somebody could think this was a good idea. Also why the hell was such an huge change contingent on a 50%+1 vote :wtc: what if next month 51% want to go back to EU?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 24, 2016

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

What a bunch of loving imbeciles.

The markets will probably recover a bit soon but in the long run I still have no idea how somebody could think this was a good idea. Also why the hell was such an huge change contingent on a 50%+1 vote :wtc: what if next month 51% want to go back to EU?

Next month? I'd wager more than that want to go back to it right now.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

gradenko_2000 posted:

http://markets.wsj.com/europe : It's a bloodbath, Ireland is down 16%, Spain down 14%, France down 11%

Weirdly, the Nordic countries seem fine...

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Carney sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Does he?

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

SynthOrange posted:

Here in the southern colony the share market imploded to the tune of 50 billion aussiebucks today

Soon.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

NewMars posted:

Next month? I'd wager more than that want to go back to it right now.

Unlikely. I would be surprised if they weren't rationalizing this away as "bankers trying to punish us for leaving" or "everything will go back to normal, this is a great time to buy buy buy!"

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's because our exchanges are closed due to midsummer holiday.

e: Both denmark and norway down ~4%

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Unlikely. I would be surprised if they weren't rationalizing this away as "bankers trying to punish us for leaving" or "everything will go back to normal, this is a great time to buy buy buy!"
Even if it were a case of everyone waking up tomorrow with a giant hangover of regret, didn't the EU make it clear that they'd be out forever? Or maybe that was just an idle threat.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gradenko_2000 posted:

Germany up 19% :lol:

e: nvm VDAX is a volatility index, DAX is down 7% too.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

vanbags posted:

Even if it were a case of everyone waking up tomorrow with a giant hangover of regret, didn't the EU make it clear that they'd be out forever? Or maybe that was just an idle threat.

In theory, they aren't even on a course for "out" until they actually invoke Article 50. It'd be pretty hard to not do so with this mandate though.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pretty sure that's a volatility index, not a price index.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
Merkel orchestrated the whole thing obviously

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Well my sister's boyfriend is already being made redundant as a direct result of this. I'm so glad I'm getting my Swedish citizenship back. This is all hosed .

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Congratulations on ruining millions of lives in a single night Brits, I hope it was worth it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

looks like Hillary and Angela gonna be best friends, while whomever replaces Cameron as PM of the shitwreck that is the UK will be very sad and lonely

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Morbus posted:

Honestly despite being "not part of the EU" Norway is in practice as integrated or more integrated with the EU than the UK is (was). And of course Norway is a Schengen member, despite not being part of the EU (same with Switzerland), which you would think is the most relevant part to the dinguses whining about borders.

But that wasn't the point. A lot of people voting to leave are not making what you or I would consider to be an informed or rational decision.

This. Leave voters think leaving the EU will mean all immigrants stop coming here forever, which will magically make everything better, and also will in no way affect our economy for the worse. They haven't thought anywhere near as far ahead as "what actually happens once we leave?"

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

A Pale Horse posted:

Congratulations on ruining millions of lives in a single night Brits, I hope it was worth it.

Given the UK's history, it actually sounds pretty par for the course.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
This is like proving you're a crack shot by blowing your brains out

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Midsummer eve bitches, national holiday. The bloodbath won't start until Monday.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Corrode posted:

This. Leave voters think leaving the EU will mean all immigrants stop coming here forever, which will magically make everything better, and also will in no way affect our economy for the worse. They haven't thought anywhere near as far ahead as "what actually happens once we leave?"

We're going to see a storm of articles about the difficulties and costs of all this in the coming weeks which, of course, comes rather late. We're already seeing articles like 'well your holidays will be poo poo and expensive, also your taxes and mortgage rates will go up'

Real great, thanks guys. What a shitshow the remain campaign was. Also lol at the remain dudes going 'voters voted with their emotions and didn't listen to expert advice' you're politicians for gently caress's sake. You should know this

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So how many offshore British accounts just became worthless?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzk48wgZj5g

Here's Carney doing his "all is well" dance.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

NLJP posted:

We're going to see a storm of articles about the difficulties and costs of all this in the coming weeks which, of course, comes rather late. We're already seeing articles like 'well your holidays will be poo poo and expensive, also your taxes and mortgage rates will go up'

Real great, thanks guys. What a shitshow the remain campaign was. Also lol at the remain dudes going 'voters voted with their emotions and didn't listen to expert advice' you're politicians for gently caress's sake. You should know this
Looking at the charts, it seems the low social economic areas voted to leave. Is this a class thing?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazak_Hstan posted:

How likely is this to hit the sweet spot where it makes a Scotland vacation cheap in January, but doesn't actually ripple out enough to crater the U.S. economy?

I'm hoping for this to go visit my friend getting her masters in Edinburgh around the Sept-Nov timeframe.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

NLJP posted:

Those articles have already been out for a few months and it all got done off as scaremongering.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Junior G-man posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzk48wgZj5g

Here's Carney doing his "all is well" dance.

This is the most American sounding British Irish-Canadian???? man I've ever heard.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Domattee posted:

Those articles have already been out for a few months and it all got done off as scaremongering.

Turns out fear politics loses effectiveness if you keep it on full blast nonstop

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Mg6Gfh9Co

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

Don't get me wrong, I am not really saying this was a good idea. I just don't see a UK apocalypse or anything.
Quoting for posterity because I do see a UK apocalypse. -20% on the FTSE.

• Locked thread