Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
coz I work with drugs and human lives and not computers my mistakes are generally limited to only killing like one person at a time and maybe a collateral of family mourning

so the other day I gave someone the wrong strength statin. a bogus death for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
at my last job i actually told my boss what he needed to hear

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress mate we're meant to build up to that kind of poo poo

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
i was just telling a friend about this today actually

years ago i was trying to debug an obscure issue on a client website involving incorrect data getting sent to a payment processor. i couldn't track it down or reproduce it myself, so i decided to dump some limited information in an email to myself whenever it occurred.

now i was stupid then, but not so stupid that i didn't think emailing unencrypted payment info to myself was a good idea. so i filtered out the sensitive stuff before the email sent and figured everything was cool. or so i thought

turns out I found the problem rather quickly and didn't need the emails after all, but forgot to disable them. i also never realized i was indeed dumping out full credit card info into the emails (since i never checked them, i never noticed and never thought to look).

to make matters worse, the emails were sent to an address i customized to automatically skip the inbox and go to a separate folder. so for about 6 months i was unknowingly receiving unencrypted credit card info from every customer to my email. big loving woops.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I once shorted the exposed JTAG Vref and GND pins that the board design guy decided needed to be hooked directly up to the main 50A voltage regulator for the whole experiment which melted the pin (luckily since it broke the connection and kept the backplanes from burning) and required us to do a really careful replacement of the board with the "spare" that had 5 broken exotic physics detector channels on it.

Whoops. We weren't going to see that particle anyway.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
accidentally hosed echis wife

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
I priced several large packages of plastic cutlery as 2.99, when I was in fact supposed to open each package and price the 20 or so individual packets of plastic cutlery as 2.99

It cost the store approximately $100 dollars and I got fired after the Christmas holidays

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I was shooting the poo poo with some coworkers, complaining about some broken stuff, and the director of our division came down the hall and joined our conversation. so we were talking and he was like "you should write these down and send them to me". being an idiot, I did just that, sending him a long list of complains about what's bad and which groups are loving it up.

so apparently he shared my email with all of the managers that report to him and they discussed it at their staff meeting. he did not bother to remove my name. luckily my manager didn't care but I had a few other managers that were pretty unhappy and that was an awkward time.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I had my first blowjob at work. It tasted a little weird, but I guess it was okay.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i yospost instead of designing systems critical to our civilization b/c the colors are better on my monitor (greenpos)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i yospost instead of designing systems critical to our civilization b/c the colors are better on my monitor (greenpos)

This is an acceptable trade

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

a past job involved cataloging, indexing and destroying large amounts of client data in a physical storehouse. i excommunicated someone because they stole prescription drugs from me, so they tried to burn the building down

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Back in 2006 I was messing around with VMWare Workstation for the first time and telling my bosses at a Fortune 50 company that they should maybe look into this "virtualization" thing

I installed a copy of XP and forgot to suspend it when I left for the evening.

The next day I came into work to find that the network in the building down. Turns out someone else had compromised the network and was using it a a relay to pivot and access a whole bunch of poo poo.

It's okay because later that summer the division got a serious budget cut and I was let go for "not taking business seriously" so I got to spend the rest of the summer loving around doing nothing before going back to college.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jimmy Carter posted:

Back in 2006 I was messing around with VMWare Workstation for the first time and telling my bosses at a Fortune 50 company that they should maybe look into this "virtualization" thing

The next day I came into work to find that the network in the building down. Turns out someone else had compromised the network and was using it a a relay to pivot and access a whole bunch of poo poo.

It's okay because later that summer the division got a serious budget cut and I was let go for "not taking business seriously" so I got to spend the rest of the summer loving around doing nothing before going back to college.
wow

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

people like you are the reason my pc is slow as fuckin poo poo from mcafee scanning every goddamn intermediate file that devenv.exe touches

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

me, i've never hosed up. perfect track record. hard to believe, but - it's true.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

GameCube posted:

me, i've never hosed up. perfect track record. hard to believe, but - it's true.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
back when i worked at the dialup ISP we had problems in one podunk rear end city one night and i rebooted the router there and my boss dragged me up into his office and suspended me for a day without pay

Never did that again, jfc

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mods since all the stories here involve computer touching can we please add quotes around the word "work" in the thread title tia

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
rebooted the wrong slave in a customer's HA cluster

luckily nobody noticed because, y'know, HA :v:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol whoops touched a nerve, thank you to whomever spent actual money to show me what's what

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I once did "drop table" when logged into the production oracle database, thinking I was on the dev machine. the cache saved my rear end and most of the millions of users didn't notice while out admins restored from backup.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I hosed up the labeling/ordering of some statistics for a printed report that was dispatched to a bunch of departments at the university; we had to go ask for them all back, re-print that page, and re-bind it all

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Stymie posted:

lol whoops touched a nerve, thank you to whomever spent actual money to show me what's what
lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol@your jobs

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol@stymie rager

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol@you

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
at my old job i had a build for a client-managed survey system project that ran into 2 years for a number of reasons and only took threats of firing to actually get pushed live. 3 years on and i'm in a similar situation with a similar project (but that's due to the client being a dick)

i also once wrote a janky as gently caress text message gateway that gave away all the prizes for a competition in about 2 hours (the competition was supposed to run for 2 months) due to a calculation error and that end up costing me about $1000 v:shobon:v

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
first couple jobs I made myself valuable by giving 110 percent doing the mindless repetitive work everyone else avoided

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
one time I mislabeled a report with May instead of April and then the next month when I sent out May's report, let me tell you, people were losing their loving minds. my phone and email didn't stop blowing up for a week

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Last night I backstepped into fire and lose my last goddamn sliver of health before I could recover my 9000 souls (early game).

Apr 7, 2003

Flat Daddy posted:

Last night I backstepped into fire and lose my last goddamn sliver of health before I could recover my 9000 souls (early game).

That's not quite over 9000. Haha.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
actually it was a little over, so the meme still applies

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

luckily no one is dumb enough to give me actual responsibilities that could affect anything important

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Jimmy Carter posted:

this is both hilarious and awesome

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
somehow I hosed up my works inventory database and bumped the prices of everything up 1000%. was an easy fix the next day

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

working late one night to play catch-up, i once spilled a bunch of tritium (tritiated amino acid) everywhere and had to spend the whole rest of the night decontaminating and running swabs to the scintillation detector (tritium being invisible to Geiger counters) to avoid a radiological incident.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Jimmy Carter posted:

lolllllllllll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

I hosed my computer and came in it.

• Locked thread