Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Has anyone listened to modern Hanson??!?!?! Sooooooo good! gently caress the op. :rock: :rock: Rock out with Hanson! :rock: :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

EVIL Gibson posted:

Has anyone listened to modern Hanson??!?!?! Sooooooo good! gently caress the op. :rock: :rock: Rock out with Hanson! :rock: :rock:

they make a beer called mmmmmHOPS and I see it every time I go to Total Wine but i'm not gonna buy it

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Gatekeeper posted:

the story is totally fuckin retarded btw but afaik that makes it cool and gives it "cred"

this is true but their albums are still really good

the newest album is outside of the storyline and it's their best in years, also go see them live if you've ever wondered what a band that has practiced for like a billion hours sounds like, their poo poo is tiiiiight. Also the audience is all goony as gently caress

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
This is why I have Pitchfork media tell me what to like. Indie bands for 30-somethings and only the most generic rap

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

vols bitch posted:

i like metal

Me too \m/ \m/ yeah!

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Lol if your music isn't procedurally generated noises created by an AI. OP thinks he knows music

Squarepusher spotted

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

criscodisco posted:

With the exception of Feel Good Inc, it's basically a perfect album.
i don't think i've ever met someone before who didn't like Feel Good Inc.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I listened to this on the way to work today it's pretty good 2016 music https://gravesatsea.bandcamp.com/

sorry OP everything you posted sucks rear end

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
nothing in the last couple of decades has changed my opinion that there's no point in listening to music made outside of '68-'77

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The new Metallica album will totally be worth the wait, just like Chinese Democracy!

Mozi posted:

nothing in the last couple of decades has changed my opinion that there's no point in listening to music made outside of '68-'77

Kiss sucks

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
this is the first time in years I haven't just been like "ugggh this new trend in music is the worst"

finally something that sorta kinda vaguely sounds like the techno music I remember from the 90s is back and it is cool to like it again it's just blanket-termed EDM now

this rules actually

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

gently caress edm, bring on big beat revival

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Whorelord posted:

gently caress edm, bring on big beat revival

Now this something I can get behind, even tho big beat is cheesy as gently caress at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmB1BgqJ9Hw

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
top 40 is good because it's catchy and catchiness is really the only quality of music that matters to 99% of people (the remaining 1% are autistic)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My musical taste has been godawful since at least 6th grade and I have no intention of changing it.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I thought we were supposed to listen to New Retro Wave??? Or is that because I'm late 30s now? :cry: Am I too old for Tropical House?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

psychokitty posted:

I thought we were supposed to listen to New Retro Wave??? Or is that because I'm late 30s now? :cry: Am I too old for Tropical House?

nm Tropical House is super gay lol

Edit: ok so i though i'll try chillstep that sounds p cool. nope it's supergay too.

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 28, 2016

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

i don't disagree with this sentiment, long tongued as they may be

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
i like chvrches

thank you for your time friends

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
There always has to be breezy dance music you can listen to on the beach. Some of it is called "tribal house" and some of it is called "balearic house" etc etc

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Maoist Pussy posted:

There always has to be breezy dance music you can listen to on the beach. Some of it is called "tribal house" and some of it is called "balearic house" etc etc

no it's called jimmy buffett

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

jackyl posted:

no it's called jimmy buffett

you're disgusting

it's called New Retro Wave

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Gatekeeper posted:

i only listen to coheed and cambria these days

almost all their music is part of one giant story about outer space! and like a dune/Star Wars/dark tower amalgam story that takes place out amongst the stars! good for gettin HiGH op

I bought "The Color Before the Sun" expecting it would be part of the main story but it was just about the lead singers wife and living in Brooklyn and other gay stuff.

2/10 - No space Minotaurs.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lol OP is pushing 30 and recommending music from 2 years ago as at the bleeding edge.

"Hey have you guys heard of this 'Gorgon City' guy? I predict they're gonna make big waves!!!"

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

psychokitty posted:

you're disgusting

it's called New Retro Wave

it's synthwave you dork

also the best synthwave is created by metalheads and industrial fans. gost, dan terminus, dance with the dead, etc

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

a retard posted:

it's synthwave you dork

also the best synthwave is created by metalheads and industrial fans. gost, dan terminus, dance with the dead, etc

yes i am dork

dance with the dead is p good

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
Ritchie Brains

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
Does anyone make decent garage or 2 step anymore? Need to get away from jungle for a bit and i find house music boring as gently caress, but I could definitely mix it with some garage.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Ape Fist posted:

2012+ saw a huge revival in the EDM scene, not that it ever went away but previously it was dominated by bland R&B & Pop from the U.S. as rappers tried to cling to their dying music genre by attaching themselves to R&B. And don't argue for a fat minute that rap isn't dying. It is. Every time a someone like Pitbull tries to attach himself to David Guetta or Nicki Minaj, rap dies a little more. You can bring up poo poo like Run The Jewels all day long, it's going underground and rap will be better for it. No one loving cares about Rap anymore and thats a good thing for Rap as a whole.

I can't wait until this happens with EDM because the raves/parties between 06-10 or so were fun as hell and then it got popular and wow things like EDC are just lovely music festivals now - expensive as gently caress and packed with a bunch of very not PLUR people.

The EDC homepage has a person wearing candy but then if you actually go to EDC wearing candy they'll tell you to take it off because it encourages drug use lmao

Wankers.

e: oh and gently caress that stupid idiot who ODed in LA, bitch took like 8-10 different kinds of E pills then drank no water pfff

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dubplate Fire posted:

Does anyone make decent garage or 2 step anymore? Need to get away from jungle for a bit and i find house music boring as gently caress, but I could definitely mix it with some garage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7TvbHt5US8 see if this doesn't tickle your fancy.

e: also Takura is the current name for Spoony and he's never really got off the garage bus

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 28, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Roylicious posted:

I can't wait until this happens with EDM because the raves/parties between 06-10 or so were fun as hell and then it got popular
Where the gently caress in the world were you that dance music and especially drum and bass wasn't really really huge between 2006 and 2010 lol

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

jBrereton posted:

Where the gently caress in the world were you that dance music and especially drum and bass wasn't really really huge between 2006 and 2010 lol

It was huge but the capitalists hadn't caught on yet. Notice around 2010 is when the dubstep and EDM starts appearing in all the TV ads and movie trailers and poo poo. All the popstars started adding more house/trance style beats to their music. EDC turns into multi day affairs that cost hundreds of dollars filled with undercover narcs making sure you're drinking sponsor beer and not doing drugs. Etc.

So yeah things get popular, then they get run into the ground, then people lose interest and move on to something else. That getting popular period is usually when they are the 'best.'

Actually Merchants of Cool is a really interesting documentary I watched years ago that basically goes through this concept: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0279224/

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 28, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Roylicious posted:

It was huge but the capitalists hadn't caught on yet.
lol yeah okay bud big thumbs up

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

jBrereton posted:

lol yeah okay bud big thumbs up

You just read like 5 words and formed an opinion didn't you?

lol I'm not even liberal. It's just what happens. Popular things are monetized to death. Just look at the glut of horror/zombie movies before the current glut of superhero movies. Everyone wants to get in on the hot/profitable thing. It's just basic market functioning.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 28, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I didn't even say it was a bad thing, just a thing that happens and I can't wait until there are more underground parties again but it's like someone says 'capitalists' and suddenly that's a dirty word or something.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Roylicious posted:

Yes because I was at creamfields when it was already huge in the 2000s but thumbs up mate good opinions as ever from superlative GBS poster "Roylicious".

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

jBrereton posted:

Yes because I was at creamfields when it was already huge in the 2000s but thumbs up mate good opinions as ever from superlative GBS poster "Roylicious".

Oh snap Brits were into Trance in the late 90s and early 2000s! No poo poo but that isn't what I'm talking about why don't you read the words before you just decide things are either popular or not like it's a binary thing.

You're kind of a double moron here because obviously EDM was super popular in the late 90s before it faded away and had a resurgence again in the late 2000s so you're talking about 2 totally different time periods. And yes, by the way, it was getting 'mainstream' during then as well. Just look at TV shows like the X-files where they are in dance clubs and raves and talking to goth/club kids.

Again: obviously people listened to EDM, it's always been 'popular,' but 2010 is when the decent parties started drying up in favor of massive events and every Dick and Jane company had EDM drops in their advertising material and all the US Top 20 artists started working with trance artists.

All I'm saying is I can't wait until the next music fad really takes off so there are more small underground parties again.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
so apparently neurofunk is a thing again? i listened to a billain ep and quite liked it

i guess i'm one of the 'cool dads'

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Roylicious posted:

you said "capitalists got hold of it", and then when called out on it you said

quote:

lol I'm not even liberal.

so you're communist?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Liberal can just mean left leaning you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

this sounds so rad as poo poo it has to be made up

• Locked thread