Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hail, and welcome to The Sims Medieval! Released in 2011, this is a game built on The Sims 3's engine. That having been said, I would recommend you forget everything you know about The Sims. Unlike its predecessors, Medieval is less about micromanaging bars and ignoring floorbabies and more about questing for glory whilst peeking into a charming little middle-agey kingdom. The end result manages to be something of a bastard child of CYOAs, Sims games and RPGs all at once. It's not particularly deep, but it's fun enough.

We'll also be playing with the Pirates and Nobles expansion. No points for guessing what that's about.

The Sims Medieval Soundtrack - Mirthful Steps

Right away the game dumps us onto the ambition screen, and with some very pretty music. Seriously, let me impress upon you that this game's music is cool and good. Ambitions are essentially long-term goals for your kingdom.

Do well at them, and receive shiny, shiny medals...

...which will unlock yet more ambitions! It's a bit more complicated than that, but you get the idea. We only have the one right now, anyway.

Moving on, the game gives us the option of taking a fully furnished throne room or an empty one. Furnished will save us the trouble of decorating and let our ruler start with a meager §1,000 of pocket money, while the blank slate option will leave us §12,500 with which to renovate.

Additionally, our kingdom will need a name. A real one, that is.

And there, in glorious sepiatone, is our domain. We could do some things here if we had any Resources, or RP, but we do not.

But we have more pressing matters! We don't even have a King! Or Queen, as the case may be - we're an equal-opportunity kingdom.

We could of course pick one of the pre-made monarchs, but that would be BORING.

The Sims Medieval Soundtrack - The Dashing Young Falconer

Instead we're going to be using Create-a-Sim, which is used for exactly what you think. Our Monarch could be any number of shapes and sizes, and I'll be expecting you lot in the thread to help me narrow it down a bit.

Of particular note is the fact that we can customize the color of our Sim's hair and/or clothing so as to warn others that he or she is poisonous.

Perhaps the most crucial thing, however, is that our Sim must have two Traits and a Fatal Flaw. These define our Sim's personality. Traits are generally beneficial, while Fatal Flaws are...not. A list of both follows.

Traits

Adventurous: Adventurous Sims are thrill-seekers and love to go out on expeditions. The more dangerous, the better!

Call of the Sea: Sims with this trait have a deep love of the high seas. Stay on land too long and your Sim will feel like a fish out of water.

Chivalrous: Chivalrous Sims are kind, courteous, and loyally adhere to the noble idea of courtly love.

Creative Cook: Spice is the variety of life, and your Sim's got plenty of it! Meals made by Sims with the Creative Cook trait taste better and take less time to prepare.

Dedicated: Dedicated Sims love their jobs, but often take on a heavier workload than they can really handle. Getting more stuff done has its rewards, though, if they're up to the challenge!

Eloquent: Eloquent Sims have the gift of gab. Just a few words from an Eloquent Sim are enough to convince, inspire, or comfort anyone.

Entitled: Entitled Sims feel they are above the rest and don't waste their time with the mundane things in life.

Evil: Evil Sims take great delight in the misfortune of others, and prefer to lead a life as far away from goodness as possible.

Excitable: Excitable Sims get excited about... pretty much everything. They enjoy an extra dose of self-satisfaction when good things happen for them in life.

Friendly: Friendly Sims love being around friends, and are great at making and keeping friendships.

Fun-Loving: Fun-loving Sims enjoy life and new experiences. Although some might call them immature, that doesn't stop them from having fun!

Good: Good Sims go out of their way to help friends and family in need, are charitable with their money, and frequently comfort those around them.

Greedy: Greedy Sims desire money with every fiber of their being. It drives them throughout life and at every turn, and they get great joy out of making money.

Haggler: Store clerks will fear the sight of you and throw discounts at your feet to expedite your passing.

Hopeful Orphan: Hopeful Orphans are Sims on a quest to find their long-lost parents. They're out there somewhere!

Jokester: Sims that are Jokesters see the lighter side of life, and are always ready with a quick one-liner or funny story.

Loves Family: Sims with the Loves Family Trait have a close connection with their families, and enjoy talking about and being with their loved ones.

Scholarly: Scholarly Sims have a strong desire to learn everything they can about the world around them. They are fascinated by even the most mundane objects, and always enjoy a good book.

Solitary: Solitary Sims are self-sufficient and prefer to do things alone. They are shy around people they don't know well, and become uneasy if a lot of Sims are nearby.

Unkempt: Unkempt Sims couldn't care less about keeping up appearances. In fact, the dirtier, smellier, and grungier they get, the better mood they are in!

Vain: Sims with the Vain Trait are the most beautiful Sims in the world, at least in their own eyes. Now why can't other Sims appreciate how gorgeous they are?

Whale Ate My Parents: Carnivorous, Sim-eating whales were a constant threat back in Medieval times. Indeed, legend has it that the ocean was formed from the tears of orphaned children whose parents were devoured by these underwater menaces.

Fatal Flaws

Bloodthirsty: Watch out! Bloodthirsty Sims are always looking for a fight, and will never back down from a challenge.

Compulsive Gambler: Compulsive Gamblers are obsessed with games of chance, especially when money is on the line. They will frequently get the itch to make bets and gamble, often for higher stakes.

Cowardly: Cowardly Sims live in constant fear for their lives. The world is a scary place to them, and they often become afraid of even innocuous things, sometimes to the point of fainting or running away in terror.

Cruel: Cruel Sims have a lot of pent-up anger and disdain towards the world, and they often feel the need to vent their rage on other Sims.

Cursed: The fates are unkind to Sims afflicted with the Cursed trait. Things just never seem to go their way.

Drunkard: Drunkards have a love-hate relationship with various intoxicating beverages; they love to drink, drink often and in large amounts, but really hate life when they wake up the next morning.

Fool: Sims with the Fool Fatal Flaw are somewhat scatter-brained and lacking in common sense. They are easily distracted and often forget what they were doing entirely.

Glutton: Gluttonous Sims are always hungry and can never get enough food.

Guild Enemy: Shopping has never been so unpleasant. Guild Enemy Sims will literally pay a price for not choosing their enemies wisely.

Hubris: Sims with Hubris get so full of themselves when they successfully do things that they become blinded by their own hubris.

Insecure: Insecure Sims do not have a lot of confidence in themselves, especially in regards to socializing. They are often nervous and get depressed easily if their social life is not going well.

Insomniac: Sims with the Insomniac Fatal Flaw have difficulty falling asleep when they want to. Unfortunately, this means that they are so tired during the day that they will sometimes fall asleep when they decidedly do NOT want to.

Licentious: Licentious Sims are romantically inclined, but not exactly in a wholesome way. They're always looking to get some action, regardless or propriety and consequences.

Misanthrope: Misanthropic Sims have nothing but disdain and contempt towards their fellow Sims, and won't hesitate to show it. They really don't get along well with others, so keep your distance!

Morose: Morose Sims are rarely in a good mood. It's quite difficult to make them happy, because they simply don't want to be happy.

Puny: Puny Sims are physically weak and feeble. They rarely can hold their own in a fight, and strenuous activity quickly leaves them tired and sore.

Uncouth: Uncouth Sims have a complete disregard for politeness and propriety. Nothing is sacred to them, and indeed they revel in ribaldry, bandiness and the profane.

Weak Constitution: Sims with a Weak Constitution are fragile and have trouble withstanding sickness. Their delicate stomachs will often give them trouble after eating or drinking.

Phew! Now, with that out of the way, we can move on to the time-honored tradition of letting goons decide things. To recap, we need...

• ...a name for our kingdom.
  • ...to decide whether we want our throne room to come pre-decorated, and if not, what sort of theme we might like to shoot for.
  • ...a gender for our Monarch.
  • ...traits and a flaw for our Monarch.
  • ...a name for our Monarch.
  • ...some idea of what our Monarch should look like.

If you want to write a flowery little backstory for our Monarch or MSPaint a picture of him or her, that would be more than welcome. However, I WILL NOT ACCEPT POP CULTURE REFERENCES FOR THIS OR ANY FUTURE SIM. Furthermore, I'll take care of dressing whatever Sims we make.

Now, there's decisions to be made. Chop chop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Remember the stupid TV ads for this game? The ones starring Donald Faison desperately trying to pay off his Escalade? Good times.

To that end, I think we should immortalize that flawless acting talent by handing over the kingdom of Aluminium to King "Donny" B Goode

A Jovial-looking if tragically hunchbacked regent, owing to his thin blood and extremely close family, he was known for his excitable personality and fondness for jokes, but some said these were merely a mask for a deeply-held insecurity.

His throne room, naturally, should be Rococo

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 28, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

An Unkempt and Excitable sort, the Queen of Goonestia, Somantha Pyle struggles with her Misanthropy

Perhaps that is why she is heavier than average. And dyes her hair green.

Do SA references count as pop culture?

Oh, and Predecorated throne room.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Veloxyll posted:

Do SA references count as pop culture?

I'm gonna say yes.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Let the good queen, Cirilla the Orphan of Druksmald take the stage. With her Dedication and Insomnia, she will remake this land in her own image, even if it kills her!

Cirilla grows her hair long and golden, a fan of makeup, taller than the usual woman, and dresses like a peacock.

A Throne is fine enough for her, she'll figure out what she'll want later.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Let the good queen, Cirilla the Orphan of Druksmald take the stage. With her Dedication and Insomnia, she will remake this land in her own image, even if it kills her!

Cirilla grows her hair long and golden, a fan of makeup, taller than the usual woman, and dresses like a peacock.

A Throne is fine enough for her, she'll figure out what she'll want later.

We can customize many things about our Sims. Height is not one of them.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
It begins. :unsmigghh:

Kingdom: Lotheriven
Decoration: Make your own. Get any obvious essentials first.
Traits/Flaw: Eloquent, Haggler, Licentious
Name: Cedric Colby
Appearance: A fit and decent-looking man with wild brown hair. For clothing, favours functional garments over anything too ostentatious.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Life hasn't gone Pip's way. He isn't completely sure who his parents are, but he's pretty sure a whale ate them.

Peg leg if available, nautical themed throne room

Hopeful Orphan
Whale Ate My Parents
Cursed

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Submissions for monarch will close in approximately twelve hours, twenty minutes. Which is to say noon central time tomorrow. Those of you without any concrete ideas for a monarch can throw your support behind an existing one, though democracy will not necesssarily dictate the result, barring an overwhelming amount of support for one poster's submission.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Eustace Muddlestone was never supposed to be the King of Poncealot, and for the life of him he cannot understand why. After all, he's magnificent, isn't he? With his mop of sandy blond curls, his skinny beak-nosed face like an axe blade, his crimson velvets and lace? Who could possibly be more suited for this job? After all, he is Vain and Entitled--and a Fool.

His throne room would ideally be decorated entirely in pictures of his own face; lacking that, in pictures of him (or someone who looks much like him) riding to the hunt and doing all kinds of other fabulous things; lacking that, something pleasantly crimson and gold to match his favorite colors.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
The Kingdom of Anost is ruled by King Sam Perry, a greedy man who's parents were eaten by whales. Through he has a Weak Constitution, he will lead his kingdom to glory, ensuring that the kingdom will be mighty and all the whales dead. After he get furnishing for the throne room, he sold them off to ensure that he obtained the kingdom, leaving just the throne. After all, he didn't inherit the kingdom, and while that means the land is short of many things, he can shape the kingdom in his image this way.

Perry favors blues and greens, inspite of the fact that his hair is a pale purple. A mustache is over his thick lips.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
King Chomley Ramsbottom, of Basilstone. Chivalrous, Entitled, and Dumb as a brick. First of his name.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Duncan McSaddlebritches, Lord of Uze Deshep was not ready for his position, as it was thrust upon him after A Whale Ate My Parents. His Hubris was also unkind towards him, of which their is a long and storied relationship with it.

His closest advisors describe him as a slightly round man, with a punchable face. His decorations all seem to revolve around booze and food.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

gonna be tough to build a kingdom with all the yelling at the sea we're going to be doing

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lots of good submissions so far. I think I'm going to individually make them one by one and see which one I like best come tomorrow. :kimchi:

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Our ruler should be Lord Gregory Pinchpennies, a vain haggler who suffers from severe hubris. He's an emaciated chap with a penchant for absurdly ostentatious clothes that are inevitably horribly mismatched on account of his color-blindness. He rules over The Land Arsewise. To the great misfortune of all those who visit him, he fancies himself an interior designer, and his decor tends to be as eye-searing as his clothes.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Foxfire_ posted:

Life hasn't gone Pip's way. He isn't completely sure who his parents are, but he's pretty sure a whale ate them.

Hopeful Orphan
Whale Ate My Parents
Cursed

I'm voting for this king.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I'd like to put in a vote for Louis Cypher, an Entitled and Evil ruler with a Cruel streak. His kingdom of New Jersey shall be glorious and terrible, although he'll have to decorate it himself. The last ruler apparently took all the furniture when he left.

His attire, appearance and eventual throne room decor should all, of course, be that of a man of wealth and taste.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Skippy Granola posted:

gonna be tough to build a kingdom with all the yelling at the sea we're going to be doing

The sea will know how angry we are and know not to send any pirates to us.

This is a great plan and cannot end badly. :downs:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Submissions for Monarch are CLOSED!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Foxfire_ posted:

Hopeful Orphan
Whale Ate My Parents
Cursed

Whoops! I spaced out on this, but "Hopeful Orphan" and "Whale Ate My Parents" are mutually exclusive. Sorrry, Foxfire!

That having been said, honorable mention to Pip "Sadboy" Whalebane.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I hate him already. Hope someone poisons SadJoffrey :jerky:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Skippy Granola posted:

He ain't king, genius. In fact, he's not even possible.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Skippy Granola posted:

Poisoned him so hard that he was never even born!

(I suspect since hopeful orphan has at least the possibility of finding their parents in their quest line. Whale ate my parents, not so much)

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
oh oh! I have an idea! but it is too loving late. following thread

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

This really is a great game and I loved not having to micro manage a Sim's every need quite as much. Excited to see who our first ruler is!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Herr Tog posted:

oh oh! I have an idea! but it is too loving late. following thread

Dont worry. There are always more sims.

I think a town has like 10 playable characters fully built

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I've played a fair bit of the base Sims Medieval and it was fun and silly, if a little samey after a while. (Largely because I found it difficult to care about anyone but, of course, the wizard.) I'll be happy to see if pirates shake things up.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
What did you pick for Pip's traits, then?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

theshim posted:

What did you pick for Pip's traits, then?

That screenshot was from midway through the Create-A-Sim process. I never completed him, due to the trait conflict.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 29, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
In that case I say just give him Unkempt instead of Hopeful Orphan.

I want this guy to suffer.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

theshim posted:

In that case I say just give him Unkempt instead of Hopeful Orphan.

I want this guy to suffer.

He's not our king. I said honorable mention, not honorable coronation.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Lizard Wizard posted:

He's not our king. I said honorable mention, not honorable coronation.

Okay but when does he take the throne

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Pyroi posted:

Okay but when does he take the throne

As soon as he exists.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Good to see this game again! I did a Let's Play of my own for this game 3-4 years ago, but to my shame let it peter out after getting the urge to participate in the Star Wars: The Old Republic Let's Play. Hopefully Lizard Wizard will see this game through where I failed as it's quite charming and fertile ground for this sort of thread-participation.

If there's future heroes to be proposing, I look forward to suggesting Guinaire Larkston, the perpetual runner-up for character creation votes in the old thread. Just proposing, though, not being chosen was part of the tradition.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

First Steps

Picayune posted:

Eustace Muddlestone was never supposed to be the King of Poncealot, and for the life of him he cannot understand why. After all, he's magnificent, isn't he? With his mop of sandy blond curls, his skinny beak-nosed face like an axe blade, his crimson velvets and lace? Who could possibly be more suited for this job? After all, he is Vain and Entitled--and a Fool.

There were some strong contenders, but in the end, I simply had to go with this guy. I mean, look at him. Truth be told, we lucked out a bit: unlike most of the other flaws, being a Fool doesn't really hinder us a whole lot. It just stunts our XP gain a bit. But enough about traits - now that we've got a character, let's get into the meat of the update - explaining typeface.

Narration, being a cornerstone of any grand adventure, will be in normal typeface absent any portraiture, and may or may not break your immersion by referring to game mechanics.

Spoken words dreamt up by this "Lizard Wizard" shall be in normal typeface with a nifty little portrait.

Additionally, remember this mnemonic: the people of Poncealot ponder parenthetically! (Probably.)

Text in italics is dialog from the game itself. For the sake of continuity, please pretend that last sentence was written by a guild which, if I recall correctly, is known as "Electronical Arthurs".

In any case, we're back to the kingdom overview screen. Were the tutorials working, they would have pointed us at this scroll icon marked "Quests".

Clicking on it brings up a list of available quests, funnily enough. Now, take note of two things: the Available QP and the "1 QP", "2 QP", and so on next to each quest. Simply put, quests are how we play the game, and we need to spend QP, or "Quest Points", to do so.

Remember this screen from earlier about the New Beginnings ambition? The sharper among you may have guessed, but our 50 QP came from selecting that ambition. We can do 50 QP worth of quests, and then we'll be judged and receive the appropriate medal.

I'm not sure if there are any consequences to outright failing an ambition, but spending our QP well is something to keep in mind.

In any case, we're going to forego the other options, tantalizing as they may be, in favor of the clearly labeled tutorial quest. And on that note, forgive me if the first few updates are a bit cut-and-dry. We've got to do our learning before we can have our fun, after all.

I'm always having fun!

Most quests will let us select an approach and a hero, and the long and short of the matter is that your choice of approach and hero makes quests pan out somewhat differently. In this case, though, we're locked into a single approach with our Monarch.

On second thought...

..."complete" is a strong word.

As an Entitled sim, Eustace is negatively impacted by locales lacking in decor.

So let's fix that.

The Sims Medieval Soundtrack - The Master Chef of Gastrobury

I've never been able to make much sense of what music the game decides to play when, but I'll still be posting it so people can listen along. It's quite good. :kimchi:

"Fix" may also be a strong word. But as I recall, the game told us to go gussy up in the mirror!

We do so.

Perfect, now I'm a little more focused. Staying focused will make it easier for me to complete any journeys in which I may find myself. Speaking of which, I should seek out Build Master Dean of the Builders Guild, a powerful pillar of the community, and discuss the future of Poncealot.

If you've ever played Sims 2, 3 or 4, Focus is essentially our Mood bar - a measure of how happy or unhappy a Sim is feeling. Those little icons are Buffs, similar to Moodlets from The Sims 3. Basically, they're circumstantial little things that entirely dictate the state of our Focus. I'm just gonna be calling them Mood and Moodlets, since this particular parlance is...well, I don't like it. There.

As you can see, Eustace is benefitting from our recent foray into Furnish Mode, among other things.

In any case, we've got stuff to do. Thankfully, we've got a reminder of our current objective next to our portrait on the left-hand side of the screen at all times...

...and if we're feeling particularly lazy, we can just click on the medallion indicating our current objective and make our Sim go interact with it.

The Throne Room's all done, m'lord. We'll need more resources to begin the next building in the kingdom. Wood, Stone and Supplies will cover it.
(I do enjoy getting my hands dirty once in a while for the betterment of my kingdom. I should make my way to the forest and collect the necessary wood.)

Father always did call me a lumbering oaf.

On our way, we encounter some bubbly water.

I spy, with my royal eye...

...some fish!

Do note the success odds. Where the RNG is concerned, our Mood affects our luck. Being good and happy is unilaterally good, and being in a bad mood is, well, unilaterally bad. Think of it as a modifier. A moodifier!

I can only imagine this will cook up quite nicely.

Ah, the forest. Much adventure awaits me in these woods. the wildflowers here are especially beautiful. I should collect some - one never knows when wildflowers will come in handy.

I don't really recall whether or not wildflowers end up being useful, but I'm sure I'll be proven wrong.

Yup! They're wildflowers.

You have to do this for every new gathering node you come across. Thankfully they stay identified when they respawn.

There are all kinds of plants one can pick across the kingdom. I believe Wizards, Physicians, and Spies use plants to make medicines and potions. But then, I believe a great many things.

brb gathering

Be right with you, villainous scum~!

Augh!

Sharpening your sword makes it just a little better for a while, so take advantage of it!

Did I mention that this is the only Sims game where murder is a thing you can do? A Monarch, Knight or Spy can challenge another Sim to a duel provided they have a sword, and as long as they're not a quest NPC, you can do it TO THE DEATH. :black101:

Nice touch. :v:

holy poo poo not now game

Good old Sims clothing change.

Combat is a rather simple, automated affair. You can click on your opponent to do special moves from time to time, but mostly you just sit back and watch until either party wins.

At least it's somewhat fun to watch.

Suffice to say the bandit gets fuckin' owned.

Triumph! Bandits could really become a problem in Poncealot...but a Knight or Spy could curb that! Now I can collect wood in peace.

The forest is just a rabbit hole, which you should be well familiar with it you've ever played Sims 3. Eustace goes in, we wait a bit, and hey presto we have wood now. Good job, Eustace. You did the thing.

This wood will be perfect for the kingdom's next building project. The builder will also need stone. I can mine some in the cave by the graveyard.

And that raises an interesting point. We COULD advance the quest...

...but it's actually better to return home for the time being and generally stack up some moodlets.

First, we use up that fish to feed ourselves by turning it into soup. We could've saved the fish and made basic gruel, but gruel is so bland that it gives you a NEGATIVE moodlet for eating it.

We also can and should avail ourselves of an afternoon drink or three.

And here's the reason we're doing all this. As long as we're in a good mood, this gauge will slowly increase. It can go up to Gold and even Platinum, and each rank will net us bigger and better rewards at the end of the quest.

If you decide to be too proactive about your quest progress, you're not getting the most out of your endeavors.. So as a general rule, it's best to do as Eustace would do and sit around with your thumb up your rear end, nursing a goblet of cheapest wine.

Baseless and foul rumors!

Now, I believe we have to go see a cave about some rocks.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeees? :bigtran:
Well, m'lord, I was just wondering if you would consider building a church here in the kingdom. It seems unceremonious to bury these people without a proper rite from a Jacoban or Peteran Priest. Thank you, m'lord.
I shall ponder this. Thank YOU, m'lady. :ocelot:

yes okay time to do the thing

A chance card! Expect to see plenty of these.

Ooh...treasure? Yes, please!

:toot:

That should be enough stone for the builder. I should stop b the Village Shoppe next, as I may need some supplies.

Off to Rabbit Hole #3! This one has a shop at the end. We don't have to buy anything at this juncture - the game is just teaching us that the Village Shoppe exists. I decide to pick up some fish for cooking and some barley for moderately fancy brewing, though.

Hmm...a good offense is the best defense, right? I suppose I'd kill two birds with one stone. Power!

We get a slightly better sword for our trouble.

What seems to be the trouble?
There's a man in the Town Square. He pushed me into the mud and called me names! This can't happen in Poncealot!
(A bully? In MY kingdom? I don't think so!) I'll deal with him straightaway!

Which is to say in the morning.

As a side note, apparently Entitled sims can collect a daily allowance at the messenger posts, which function as this game's equivalent of a mailbox.

We have other plans.

What say you pay your BULLY tax, BULLY?

*girlish shriek*

Yes, you can threaten other sims at swordpoint for cash. If your target armed, it results in a duel.

The town bully is easily dunked on, and we claim an ill-gotten §50.

Guards! Take this sorry ruffian to the stocks, sharpish. Chop chop!

We throw an egg at him while he's locked up, too, for good measure.

Well, hello good-lookin'! It would seem a few visitors have arrived while I was out. I do believe I see a visitor who catches my eye...

We have a choice to make here, as indicated by the question mark button in the lower-left.

I've never been able to resist a woman who knows her way around gold...and I presume she won't be able to resist this wildflower I picked earlier!

Why, hello! Say...

Do I detect something...

BEHIND

YOUR

EARRRRRRRR?

There are technically other social interactions, but let's face it, this one is clearly the best. Gotta butter her up before you can give her the flower, in any case.

I'm...not sure that's a wildflower.

Why, thank you! I have traded many flowers in my lifetime, but none as beautiful as this. You are a most kind - and most enticing - king.
(Ah, the early blossoms of love. I can't wait to see the other beautiful travelers that will come to Poncealot - perhaps I could even start a family with one of them. But for now, I should deliver the resources to Build Master Dean.f

Even the tutorial agrees with me. Slack off.

Here the game activates responsibilities. Each day, your Sim will get a couple of things that must be done. Let a day pass without completing them and you'll get hit with a rather nasty moodlet.

"It...is...hereby illegal...to be more handsome than the King."

One of today's responsibilities is to crank out a couple of laws. Trivial.

Next leg of the quest popped up while we were at the scribing table, so we go ahead and knock it out. The letter is written...

...and sent off on the wings of a carrier pigeon.

Now, I believe I have an annoyance to take care of.

YOU, GOOD SIR, ARE ILLEGAL.

Fantabulous. Now to read this...what was it? Ah yes. "Docket of War Crimes".

(This particularly unsociable Guildsman was judged guilty of the heinous War Crimes of which they were accused. I take great pleasure in signing this arrest warrant!)

Some responsibilities have several steps, like this one.

Job done! :toot:

After that...well, apparently we jumped the gun on furnishing the castle.

The Sims Mediveal Soundtrack - Moldheart's Hornpipe

Just as well, since the dining room isn't quire fancy enough to satisfy Eustace's entitlement.

That's EXACTLY what we'd do if our Quest Performance meter wasn't so darn close to platinum. :eng101:

Instead, we'll wait for our daily responsibilities over terrible morning wine.

That's one down.

The other is just slightly more interesting.

The heart wants what it wants. Granted!

gently caress off.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Abso-tively!

:toot:

Ambassadors are hereby...LEGAL!

Moving that quest right along.

After that the game makes us look at our map, which doubles as a Warhammer table. No, really.

There are two other territories we can see at the moment. Tredony is to the west, and Crafthole to the south. We can't do much with them yet, though.

As Poncealot expands, so will the number of territories I can explore. Speaking of expanding, I wonder if Build Master Dean has finished taking inventory of the resources.

There are enough resources here, and the builders are all ready. Only one question remains, m'lord...

Quest completed! :toot: And for our trouble we get exactly what you'd expect: money and XP. We also got one point of the Knowledge aspect for our kingdom. We'll worry about aspects later.

Additionally, our dainty little boy-king is better at swordfighting now.

Crucially, however, we gained 10 Resource Points, enabling us to build one of these buildings. This will unlock a new profession, and with that, we get to make a whole nother Sim. Our choices are as follows:

quote:

BARRACKS

Unlocks Knight Profession

The Barracks houses the military arm of the kingdom, and together with the Training Yard -- which also comes with the Barracks -- provides a place for knights and other men-at-arms to train and hone their skills.

quote:

PETERAN MONASTERY

Unlocks Peteran Priest Profession

The Monastery reflects the Peteran view of faith and religion, that all Sims have an equal connection with The Watcher and that a simple, humble life in service and appreciation of The Watcher is a good life.

quote:

JACOBAN CATHEDRAL

Unlocks Jacoban Priest Profession

The Cathedral of Jacob is an imposing structure built to inspire awe and fear. Its hallowed halls often resonate with the sound of firebrand sermons and voices lifted up in praise of The Watcher.

quote:

WIZARD'S TOWER

Unlocks Wizard Profession

The Wizard's Tower is a mysterious structure dedicated to the arcane arts. No one is relaly sure what goes on in here, but the eerie sounds, colorful lights and occasional explosion could be a clue...

quote:

CLINIC

Unlocks Physician Profession

The Clinic is a building devoted to healing and the pursuit of worldly science. If you have a cold, a wound suffered on the field of battle, or the plague, this is the place to go. Just be mindful of the leeches; rather sensitive fellows, they are.

quote:

SMITHY

Unlocks Blacksmith Profession

The smithy is a workshop where all manner of tools, weapons and armour are manufactured.

quote:

MARKET

Unlocks Merchant Profession

The Market is the commercial center of the kingdom facilitating the exchange of goods and ideas...for the right price.

quote:

TAVERN

Unlocks Bard Profession

The Tavern plays host to the favorite adult recreation of the kingdom: drinking. Hard times call for hard drinks and rousing entertainmnet, whether it be melodious music from a lute or a clever comedy from the stage.

What shall we build?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Yaaaaaaay Eustace! :neckbeard:

I'm going to say that we should build a Clinic. After all, if Eustace should suffer a wound in combat, without the services of a physician, he might not be as pretty.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
On the other hand, while it is currently illegal to be more handsome than the king, what about neighbors or ambassadors who are more handsome than him? He needs an edge up on the handsomeness that only a wizard can provide. Thus:
WIZARD'S TOWER.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Tavern because it has to have better booze than we can make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Peteran Monastery so that we might end up with a sane person of the cloth this time.

• Locked thread