Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

EorayMel posted:

From the article for those too lazy to read it

You can make certain appendages grow in the place of others depending on the genes you play with. More legs for all!

Bonus spider embryo:

You know a lot about spiders.

For a "human"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Zorodius posted:

every person eats 7 spiders each year, mostly during sleep. I find it easier to just get them out of the way all at once, and eat my seven on New Year's, and wash 'em down with a big glass of Tang (I don't drink).

this is a pro strat

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

BeefThief posted:

pound for pound, spider silk is the strongest material there is. however it cant be farmed because the spiders always eat each other.

Bullshit, just drop a few plane loads of these fuckers on Detroit and we'll have all the silk we can eat

An Immense Concentration of Orb-Weaving Spiders With Communal Webbing in a Man-Made Structural Habitat

quote:

“We were unprepared for the sheer scale of the spider population and the extraordinary masses of both three dimensional and sheet-like webbing that blanketed much of the facility’s cavernous interior. Far greater in magnitude than any previously recorded aggregation of orb-weavers, the visual impact of the spectacle was was nothing less than astonishing.

In places where the plant workers had swept aside the webbing to access equipment, the silk lay piled on the floor in rope-like clumps as thick as a fire hose.”

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
GET RID OF

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
my apartment is going to be filled with poison gas for the next two days so this doesnt concern me

and yes, taco bell haha :grin:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Spiders rule and if you're scared of them you're a serious babby. We had new cabinets put in and somehow got wood mites in our kitchen, we battled them for awhile but they didn't disappear completely until a lil jumping spider moved in above the cabinets. He's lived there like 2 months and likes to watch me cook :3:

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

spiders are cool and good and i like most spiders.

i saw a brown recluse earlier though, next to the front door. those are not nice spiders. most of the time i catch spiders and put them outside but i killed that one :ohdear:

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
bigass wolf spiders all over my work like crazy all year round. theres one less than two feet from me on the floor right now. yay being right next to a forest preserve. id much rather have these lovely ladies running around than slapping mosquitoes constantly tbh though. spiders are cool and good

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I live in the city and there's no spiders anywhere thank god

except for one time a spider made a web outside my apartment

I called him Charlie

He died randomly one day

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I think we should genetically engineer spiders who can live in large colonies and work together and learn and adapt and are also as big as cats.
I'm pretty sure the physics of their skeletal and muscular structure would mean they'd just be slow and miserable at that size.

Kenzie posted:

spiders are cool and good and i like most spiders.

i saw a brown recluse earlier though, next to the front door. those are not nice spiders. most of the time i catch spiders and put them outside but i killed that one :ohdear:
yeah gently caress brown recluses. I hope every brown recluse dies of a jumping spider sinking its fangs into its cranium.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah if you got brown recluse problems you gots to get a jumping spider, the spider ninja assassin operators of the spider world.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, start a spider arms race in your house; what could go wrong?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

literally nothing, it's actually pretty great :shrug:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

jumping spiders are darling and you can't have too many of them.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

the first brown recluse i ever saw was in my upstairs bathtub a couple months ago, after moving to a new apartment. i had to shine a light on it to figure out what it was, saw the violin marking and went :aaa:

i've only seen a couple out in the open, but there must be a lot more than that. i hope the cute jumping spiders around here rip and tear their guts out

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Hey, there's a spider on your back!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Spiders can do drugs too

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

i thought everyone knew that spiders love drugs

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

What a garbage thread. Spiders are cool, one lived in my car behind the side-view mirror. He survived both machine and hand car washes, but then winter came and he left. I hope he was able to migrate south without me. :(

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Y-Hat posted:

don't go to australia. humans never should have settled in a place with such horrible awful spiders

This episode of UK kids show "Peppa Pig" was banned in Australia for teaching kids that spiders are our friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4V8T109HkA&t=89s

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Spiders rule and if you're scared of them you're a serious babby. We had new cabinets put in and somehow got wood mites in our kitchen, we battled them for awhile but they didn't disappear completely until a lil jumping spider moved in above the cabinets. He's lived there like 2 months and likes to watch me cook :3:

you've still got wood mites or some other sort of insects in those cabinets or else your little buddy would have starved to death or left to find a place with more food

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Y-Hat posted:

don't go to australia. humans never should have settled in a place with such horrible awful spiders

Wtf. There are literally like two dangerous spiders in australia. Don't be a puss

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
redbacks like wet nooks and crannies (always wear protection) and the sydney funnel-web is only dangerous if you're dumb enough to live in sydney.

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

:kimchi:

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Im a big fan of spiders because im a big hater of mosquitos and flies

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
I do wish they were retarded enough to stay the hell out of my shower stall so I dont gotta fish em out every morning

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

A Stupid Baby posted:

Im a big fan of spiders because im a big hater of mosquitos and flies

same reason dragonflies own

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Spiders are our allies in the war against insects I say let them do their bloody work.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I used to have a brown recluse problem in my house. Then the Carolina wolf spiders moved in and ate the recluses. I let them stay.

Outside, they keep the bugs away from my tomato plants. Spiders are wonderful.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Junkfist posted:

Spiders are our allies in the war against insects I say let them do their bloody work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I live in a cold peace with my 200 spider roommates, although the only bug they don't eat are the ants those are what is actually pissing me off.

• Locked thread