Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

So I just read this article about whether a self driving car should save the largest number of people in an accident even if the passenger would die.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a21492/the-self-driving-dilemma/

It got me thinking about self driving cars in general, because I've also read ideas that once they become popular (in an 'internet-of-things' world) people may not technically need to purchase/own cars anymore, but rather subscribe to a service which makes driverless cars available at request. So imagine, now that people won't have an owners obligation of maintaining their vehicle, what kind of situations might occur:
- everyone can now have sex in the driverless car between destinations.
- people can get super high/drunk (way mroe than they probably already do when driving).
- what happens if you leave something behind in the car? (probably what ever already happens in a regular taxi)
- can you be a racist to the car? What happens if you decide to insult it profusely, or decide to damage/steal parts of it? Can a computer sue you?
- assuming that all trips might need to be recorded because of points above, do you automatically give up your privacy during the trip?
- the one I would find weirdest would be the idea of sharing a driverless car with a stranger going to the same destination (I have never met anyone who has shared a regular taxi).

Other future things I've wondered about :
- Will Boston Dynamic release a pet version of one of their dog robots with a synthetic skin (a dog you dont have to feed or get neutered, and doesnt technically require emotional attention!)
- Will stuff like VR technology change the way homes and cities are designed? e.g Can you go and visit your doctor at their virtual office and get a real prescription certified and printed out at home.

What mostly tech related stuff are you looking forward to in the future, and what retarded poo poo do you think people will do with it?

http://jalopnik.com/5611114/syd-meads-futuristic-playboy-land-yacht

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Nobody will do the shared car thing unless it's super exclusive because they will turn into the public toilet/hotel room that all other public transportation turns into except worse because there's more privacy

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I wish Boston dynamics would release a robot dog. You know, for those times when you really need to abuse a pet but don't want to feel bad about it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Zombie Boat posted:

I wish Boston dynamics would release a robot dog. You know, for those times when you really need to abuse a pet but don't want to feel bad about it.

That's what servants are for

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
The world of tomorrow will feature edible butt plugs.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i am going to make a lot of money in the future jailbreaking cars to remove the mandatory "suicideware" :twisted:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Mange Mite posted:

That's what servants are for

I guess but I'm trying to piss off skynet

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The future is a bright, bright place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WX58CZwyiU

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE
Land Yacht is my nickname because I am fat&fancy :(

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I mean, it's kind of inevitable. Sure, some people will own their own self-driving car, and that may even be the norm for a while but eventually, it will be cheaper and more sensible to share a car, or do it like a service. Yeah, you're gonna get some cumstains on your pants, but what can you really do about that? It's just gonna be accepted in the future.

"Oh, you've got a white stain on your pants. You must have taken a GUber(c)(tm) here, welcome to the job interview!"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CloFan posted:

I mean, it's kind of inevitable. Sure, some people will own their own self-driving car, and that may even be the norm for a while but eventually, it will be cheaper and more sensible to share a car, or do it like a service. Yeah, you're gonna get some cumstains on your pants, but what can you really do about that? It's just gonna be accepted in the future.

"Oh, you've got a white stain on your pants. You must have taken a GUber(c)(tm) here, welcome to the job interview!"

Unrealistic because it implies there will be jobs for poors in the future

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

im so sick of that bullshit autocar morality question

an autocar - or a human - that is driving morally will drive to ensure their total stopping time remains shorter than the distance to any unknowable obstacle. hitting anything is impossible, thats the entire point of these things.

also utilitarianism is fundamentally flawed

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
teledildonics will change the world

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Serious Frolicking posted:

teledildonics will change the world

I can't wait for self-loving dildoes

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

There's only one solution for the mean streets of the future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGi6j2VrL0o

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

chaosbreather posted:

im so sick of that bullshit autocar morality question

an autocar - or a human - that is driving morally will drive to ensure their total stopping time remains shorter than the distance to any unknowable obstacle. hitting anything is impossible, thats the entire point of these things.

also utilitarianism is fundamentally flawed

Good we can go back to the good old days of riding skiddish panicky animals that are unnerved by bad lighting or plastic bags

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

WIll we be able to install VCRs in these cars so we can watch our favorite movies?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
In the future roaming gangs of assholes will jump out of front of self driving cars to make them run off the road and murder the passengers.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

notZaar posted:

In the future roaming gangs of assholes will jump out of front of self driving cars to make them run off the road and murder the passengers.

Or they'll just stand in front and demand money to move out of the way

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

autocars have lidar and millimeter wave radar and thermal cameras and poo poo. they can see people hiding behind things and they can identify plastic bags real good

bad lighting, at dawn and dusk, is still an issue however

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mange Mite posted:

Or they'll just stand in front and demand money to move out of the way

Why demand money when you can be sated by the sweet act of homicide?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

notZaar posted:

Why demand money when you can be sated by the sweet act of homicide?

This is for the lazier highwaymen

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

OctoberBlues posted:

WIll we be able to install VCRs in these cars so we can watch our favorite movies?

That'll do pig. That'll do.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a DVD player in my car

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I think it'd be neat if they invented a way to roll the window down without having to use that crank. And bigger cupholders that fit my big gulps would be convenient. I have to downsize to 44oz instead of 64oz which is ABSOLUTELY ABSURD

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
a video of the OP sucking my drat balls in 4k

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Cars that come with fuzzy dice pre-installed

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
No daughter of mine is marryin any car.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Police detectives of the future will be partnered with self driving cars whose databases will come programmed with wisecracks for over two million scenarios.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Tires of the future will be spherical and the auto repair industry will be invigorated by the necessity of a new periodic service: popping out the wheels and cleaning the gunk off the rollers inside.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Upon encountering an obstacle, the car of the future will deploy a scanning laser fan that will sweep the object and then the car will announce its analysis of the obstacle.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Applewhite posted:

Police detectives of the future will be partnered with self driving cars whose databases will come programmed with wisecracks for over two million scenarios.

The default voice pack is Jerry Orbach as Detective Lenny Briscoe.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
To prevent drunk driving, cars of the future will flood the cabin with a gas that is poisonous only to people with a BAC of .04 or higher.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Self driving tanks will terrorize the battlefields of the middle East and within five years of their introduction the Arab and Persian races will be extinct except for a handful living on wildlife preserves.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.

They want me to go to the Met Gala
I want a Percocet and a gallon

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Within our lifetimes we will see the introduction of self driving cars small enough to be injected into a human circulatory system for the purposes of artificially inducing strokes in condemned prisoners.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Yes, the day when the human race will be put on trial by its futa superiors is coming, and sooner than we expect.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.

Put some cough syrup in a Mountain Dew
You would never see what I'm going through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Some self driving cars will run on legs instead of wheels, and be small enough to enter private homes undetected and eliminate enemies of the state.

• Locked thread