Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I like to go with a four-element theme:
Half-Giant Water Ranger
Thri-kreen Fighter/Earth Druid/Psionicist
Half-Elf Fighter/Air Druid/Preserver
Mul Fighter/Fire Druid/Thief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
You mentioned NPCs walking too fast for you to keep up with. What are you using to play the game? Because you will need some way to slow it down or you won't be able to pass a later section.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Now that you're in the volcano, you're coming close to the point where you absolutely need to slow the game down. There's a timed section later on that's tied to processor speed. Unless you switch to DOSBox and set the cycles low or whatever other method, you'll never finish the game.

Going back a little, I think what caused Antwoman to do so much damage was Mind Blast, a psionic skill which causes I think 75% of the target's total HP in damage. Those annoying spells used by the intellect devourers and illithids are also psionics. Ego Whip prevents attacking, Id Insinuation paralyzes. Keep in mind you have access to these, they can be helpful in big fights.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I think the engine isn't sophisticated enough to handle the fake damage, so Mind Blast is just straight up a huge damage spell. The manuals have several bits of information that's aren't accurate to how things really work in the games. Another one I remember off the top of my head is that gladiators don't actually need to wear armor to get their AC bonus.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
You have a psionicist and anybody with telepathy also gets mind blast, so I figured you'd have been using it before now. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
You have indeed reached the timed section that you've been warned about. If you're having trouble getting past it even after getting the game to run at less than light speed, a couple things in the options menu might help. Turning animations off will save a lot of time on character movement, the main thing you'll be doing here. There is also combat in this part, so turning the difficulty down to minimum can make that go by faster.

• Locked thread