Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Took an awesome cross country motorcycle trip for most of June on my K1600 GTL with my wife. Half camping / half hotels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xxhNhOOFac

Saw some amazing scenery, and learned a lot about living off the motorcycle for a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I jumped around the video alot, but it looks like you saw some great stuff. Pretty jealous. I am less jealous of having to edit 28 days of footage.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Professor Wayne posted:

I jumped around the video alot, but it looks like you saw some great stuff. Pretty jealous. I am less jealous of having to edit 28 days of footage.

Luckily it wasn't one huge thing of video from a go pro or something like that. My wife was mostly just taking random videos with her phone from the back of the bike.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Tips?
Tricks?
What did you take that you didn't need?
What did you not have that you did need?
Places to avoid?
Had you done smaller trips previously to prepare or jump all in?
Any idea what the overall cost was?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Skreemer posted:

Tips?
Tricks?
What did you take that you didn't need?
What did you not have that you did need?
Places to avoid?
Had you done smaller trips previously to prepare or jump all in?
Any idea what the overall cost was?

Tips / Tricks:
- make your bike as comfortable as possible. Something that annoys you after an hour ride is going to be driving you crazy after 7 hours of riding.
- furkot.com is great for trip planning, takes a while to get good at learning all the features but it's pretty powerful.
- google maps app rocks while on the road. Easy to search for gas / food that is along your route.
- external battery to charge whenever you can, so you can keep your phones / gadgets charged.
- find gear that packs down really small / light (especially if you are camping) stuff designed for backpacking works well
- for hot weather, have a mesh jacket and soak your shirt at stops. Got through 117 degree heat without a problem.
- pack beers in your regular shoes (hence the shoe beer)
- take a handkerchief to use as a towel / napkin / anything

Took that we didn't need:
- mailed back a few cold weather clothing items after getting through the cold bits of the trip

Needed that we didn't take:
- small pair of binoculars
- sandals / river shoes
- touchscreen motorcycle gloves
- windscreen extender to reduce highway buffering for passenger
- extra plug adapter so we could charge more gadgets at once at hotels / stops

Places to avoid:
- Kansas. Nobody will ever make me go back to Kansas.

Other trips:
- we have done a decent amount of 1 and 2 night trips, and we did a longer 8 night trip up California before this. So we had a pretty good idea of what to take.

Cost:
- We figure about 6K, including hotels for half the trip, food, bike service + tires + dog/house sitter. Would have been cheaper with a cheaper bike to service + less hotels or motels instead.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

marshmonkey posted:

Good stuff.

Thanks for the info.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

marshmonkey posted:

Places to avoid:
- Kansas. Nobody will ever make me go back to Kansas.

Holy poo poo, you even went the long way. My condolences.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The Flint Hills area isn't too bad, but in no way does it make up for the rest of the state.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Retarded Pimp posted:

The Flint Hills area isn't too bad, but in no way does it make up for the rest of the state.

Michigan and the DC area were tied for most garbage crumbling potholed freeways.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I gotta say i was less than happy with all the grooved surface interstates in Michigan. Like WTF.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

I gotta say i was less than happy with all the grooved surface interstates in Michigan. Like WTF.

Travel parallel to the direction of the road? They're all over Wisconsin now too.

Keeps trying to steal control of the bike from me. Best guess for their existence is maybe they're supposed to help with snow?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'll take grooved pavement if I can trade all of our tar snake for it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

TheNothingNew posted:

Travel parallel to the direction of the road? They're all over Wisconsin now too.

Keeps trying to steal control of the bike from me. Best guess for their existence is maybe they're supposed to help with snow?

The grooves (it's called "tining") are for channeling water (or melting snow) so that tires are less likely to hydroplane. It sucks and makes bikes tramline, but is it good for cars? I think the jury is still out. I would be happy if we could just build concrete roads that last more than 5 years. The Romans built concrete with no reinforcement and that poo poo is still standing 2000 years later. We should be ashamed of ourselves.

Personally I avoid freeways and prefer to take backroads even if it takes me twice as long. And yeah as bad as the grooved roads are, tar snake is worse. It's like riding on warm gummy bears.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Gorson posted:

tining
tramline

I learned two new words today, thank you.

And yeah, side roads and back roads all the way, if I have time. More curves too.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I feel that learning to ride on MI freeways makes me basically impervious to all the road imperfections that everyone else bitches about. Some of 94 and 75 has perpendicular ridges that are basically speed bumps. If youre not catching air standing on the pegs you arent doing it right :clint:

Cool ride!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

marshmonkey posted:

Michigan and the DC area were tied for most garbage crumbling potholed freeways.

Can confirm, DC potholes are pretty serious. Hit one a few years ago in my old s10 that caused my muffler to fall off lol

• Locked thread