Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
IT HAS BEGUN... BUT WHEN WILL IT END?!?

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/...aign_type=Email

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:firstpost:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
skynet knew

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm sure it will somehow be the truck's fault somehow

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It was the drivers fault

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I guess he'll never be the head of a major corporation

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

gently caress the ROW posted:

I guess he'll never be the head of a major corporation

Neither will Elon I hope

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i bet he was texting when it happened

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I hope they put that murderous brute down!

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

ofc Florida

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Hahaha this is even dumber than the "the car saw a sandbag on the side of the road, saw a car in the opposite lane and flipped a coin to decide which way to crash" thing in San Fransisco. The car crashed literally because the truck was too white and it couldn't tell it was a truck. Elon Musk is the perfect example of babby's first engineer thinking he can fix everything with sufficiently fancy if statements. I hope he's sued into bankruptcy over this.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Wouldn't have happened if it was an aligator driving the car.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Colossus is taking over, drat you Forbin what have you created!!!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Hahahaha here's a video of the guy nearly getting himself killed while not driving his car earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I5rraWJq6E

Dude was basically hoping to die every time he got in that car, glad he got his wish.

He named his car Tessy. This is a net gain for humanity.

quote:

[I] actually wasn't watching that direction and Tessy (the name of my car) was on duty with autopilot engaged. I became aware of the danger when Tessy alerted me with the "immediately take over" warning chime and the car swerving to the right to avoid the side collision.

I guess Tessy was a little too slow on the uptake this time. Good God.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 1, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I'm sure it will somehow be the truck's fault somehow

All ready getting there.

quote:

Tesla said on its website neither the driver nor the autopilot sensors noticed the white side of the trailer, which was perpendicular to the Model S, against the brightly lit sky, and neither applied the brakes.

"The high ride height of the trailer combined with its positioning across the road and the extremely rare circumstances of the impact caused the Model S to pass under the trailer," the company said. The windshield of the Model S collided with the bottom of the trailer.

So, apparently the front-mounted camera confused the side of a truck with the sky, making the truck invisible. Of course, the Tesla Model S has 12 ultrasonic sensors, which have a range of 5 meters or so and probably wouldn't have done mattered given the short range, but has a radar for longer range sighting of obstacles and other vehicles.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Hahahaha here's a video of the guy nearly getting himself killed while not driving his car earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I5rraWJq6E

TBF, if there was a collision, that maintenance truck would be at fault. That guy was definitely not checking his lanes and tried to cut across two lanes before realizing that Tesla was there.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 1, 2016

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

everuone who champions robot cars deserve death

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

im gaye posted:

Robot cars are the future and in 15 years you will have one too.

Some day, I will die.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Hahaha this is even dumber than the "the car saw a sandbag on the side of the road, saw a car in the opposite lane and flipped a coin to decide which way to crash" thing in San Fransisco. The car crashed literally because the truck was too white and it couldn't tell it was a truck. Elon Musk is the perfect example of babby's first engineer thinking he can fix everything with sufficiently fancy if statements. I hope he's sued into bankruptcy over this.

You're a moron. There are millions of hours driven with autopilot and this is the first fatal accident versus the human rate of error which is way higher than that. Musk is not programming anything himself and I'm pretty sure Tesla is not liable if you're not paying attention while driving.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
And we have our first two fish on.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

imagine dying b/c youre too much of a lazy poo poo to drive

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

im gaye posted:

imagine dying b/c youre too much of a lazy poo poo to drive

Im imaging it a lot right now :D

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Some day, I will die.

In 15 years, self-driving cars will be legal on highways, but will require human interaction on city streets specifically because of morons like this. Of course, maybe not even highway driving is safe if a car can't see a loving big rig at a distance of less than 15 feet.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

yeah the rate of accidents (non fatal) within tesla model s is like 50% reduced with autopilot enabled

people who are bad at math and good at being enraged are gonna spin this into being tesla' fault somehow lol

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

im gaye posted:

insh'allah

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Calling it 'Autopilot' is a really bad idea on Tesla's part and leads to people doing stupid stuff like this...

Sounds like a pretty gory scene though, the car kept going for a bit. Dashcam will be nice for the NHTSA to have.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

im gaye posted:

robots, liquidate this meat sack

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

wyoak posted:

Calling it 'Autopilot' is a really bad idea on Tesla's part and leads to people doing stupid stuff like this...

Sounds like a pretty gory scene though, the car kept going for a bit. Dashcam will be nice for the NHTSA to have.

Now that might actually be true. People are idiots.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I wonder how many man-hours Tesla spent pre-planning how they were going to react when the first guy inevitably died

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Roylicious posted:

Now that might actually be true. I saw an insurance claim where a woman put her RV on 'cruise' and then walked into the back to make herself coffee. She said she didn't realize 'cruise' meant she had to still drive the thing. You can probably imagine how that turned out for her.

She's the head of a major corporation?

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Some day, I will die.

Roylicious posted:

You're a moron. There are millions of hours driven with autopilot and this is the first fatal accident versus the human rate of error which is way higher than that. Musk is not programming anything himself and I'm pretty sure Tesla is not liable if you're not paying attention while driving.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
lol if you don't travel by opening wormholes to your destination

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

smoobles posted:

yeah the rate of accidents (non fatal) within tesla model s is like 50% reduced with autopilot enabled

people who are bad at math and good at being enraged are gonna spin this into being tesla' fault somehow lol

130 million miles (the total miles travelled by Tesla's autopilot cars so far) gets covered by all the non-self-driver cars in the US about every half hour. In other words, Tesla autopilot doesn't have enough time on the road to be a usable data point yet, so maybe you're the one who's bad at math.

My lawyer-sense is tingling. I think I could get Tesla about... 75% responsible for this. More if I get a sufficiently luddite judge.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Some day, I will die.

hopefully in a robot car accident insh'allah

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

My lawyer-sense is tingling. I think I could get Tesla about... 75% responsible for this. More if I get a sufficiently luddite judge.
Tessy probably kept about 75% of him so it seems about right

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
he deserved it

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

remember when that cyborg guy got his poo poo stuffed at a mickey d's?

that was funny like how this is funny

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
expected story about a car diving into the ocean or something, i'm a bit let down tbh.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

130 million miles (the total miles travelled by Tesla's autopilot cars so far) gets covered by all the non-self-driver cars in the US about every half hour. In other words, Tesla autopilot doesn't have enough time on the road to be a usable data point yet, so maybe you're the one who's bad at math.

This is going to cost them a lot and anyone who thinks otherwise is not actually a British woman but rather a fat nerd in Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
I'm an automotive technician who has worked a lot with Teslas and I've read a couple articles about this incident. As best as I can tell what happened was that the driver of the truck made the turn at an inopportune time not giving a large enough window for the Tesla to slow down whether there was a human driver at the wheel or not. The Tesla Autopilot uses a combination of three types of sensors to determine the position of obstacles and other cars on the road. First it uses a forward facing camera. This is the system that they say was thrown off by the white face of the side of the trailer against the back lit sky. Next there are ultrasound sensors that detect objects 360 degrees around the car at a distance of about 5 meters. This is used mainly to keep track of the other cars in surrounding lanes. Last there is a forward facing long range radar sensor for braking in case of a traffic jam or stalled car on the highway. I'm not sure of the range but this system should be able to stop the car at a speed of 85mph before hitting the obstacle. My read of the situation is that the truck passed in front of the Tesla a just the right time that the radar sensor's beam passed under the trailer making the system think that the car had a clear path. By the time that either of the redundant systems caught on to what was happening it was too late and the accident occurred. This situation was obviously the truck drivers fault but future refinement of the camera and radar sensors may be able to prevent this type of thing from happening in the future. I'd love to be able to see the vehicle's telemetry data but I doubt that will ever see the light of day outside of a courtroom.

• Locked thread