Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sir Tonk posted:

I don't get the Lewandowsky hiring, is CNN going to get half a million worth of new viewers because he's on the air, or is there something I'm missing?

CNN is run by Jeff Zucker these days. Zucker used to run NBC, where he commissioned and oversaw the show The Apprentice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Sir Tonk posted:

I don't get the Lewandowsky hiring, is CNN going to get half a million worth of new viewers because he's on the air, or is there something I'm missing?

I get the whole wingnut welfare thing, but his hiring seems odd.

he is a trump expert and has first hand knowledge that is insightful.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

They are fair and balanced too!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Joementum posted:

CNN is run by Jeff Zucker these days. Zucker used to run NBC, where he commissioned and oversaw the show The Apprentice.

Also remember that when Zucker took over CNN, he said their biggest problem was that they show too much news and that was what he was going to change to make it successful.

Marlows
Nov 4, 2009

Joementum posted:

No, we don't agree. I don't read his quote as patting himself on the back, though the follow-up quote from a book critic goes there, that's not his problem. More to the point, while I'm sure this dude's schlocky sci-fi novel ain't Huckleberry Finn, I don't see the point of haranguing someone for attempting to write earnestly about a problem they see in society, even if they're not the one directly affected by it.

Yup. The same discussion happens in history and the humanities constantly. It's a sensitive issue, and rightfully so, but the arguments against non directly-affected authors always fall flat. And not that it should necessarily matter, but enormous and insightful contributions are made by those looking from the outside in in all kinds of arenas. It's not the late 60's or early 70's on campuses anymore and the worst a historian will face might be some rudeness by a questioner at a conference. Nothing a reasonably thick skin can't handle. You got to be conscious of the controversy though.

Not that this doesn't make the proposed book not obnoxious. Even so, I bet it's a more nuanced take than the unbelievable Max Landis screenplay in the works that basically replaces "black" with "orc" and considers itself insightful social commentary.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

duz posted:

Also remember that when Zucker took over CNN, he said their biggest problem was that they show too much news and that was what he was going to change to make it successful.

Was he the reason CNN got Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sir Tonk posted:

It's CNN. They also employed Erick, Son of Erick for a time.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jeff Zucker replaced Larry King with Piers Morgan. Just in case you were having trouble understanding the Lewandowski thing.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
celebrate white fearlessness

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Also Jeff Zucker was the principal character behind all that Conan/Leno shitshow several years back. Like there are basically not many aspects of media and entertainment that Jeff Zucker has not actively moved his bowels upon.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Jeff Zucker replaced Larry King with Piers Morgan. Just in case you were having trouble understanding the Lewandowski thing.

Ok that's all I needed to know.

I love how easy it is to fail upward in the US.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i'd rather white dudes write about race than either get defensive or run skittering from the room like cockroaches when it gets brought up.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Town fireworks entertainment for the night:

I took my young daughter and wife to watch the town fireworks display. We met up with some of my coworkers and watched from the parking lot of my school. This is what I was able to witness tonight:

Right before we got there I missed one lady recite the pledge of allegiance to the confederate flag.
This woman along with another drunk lady yelling USA! USA! at each other from across the street.
A family shooting fireworks off in the middle of a street while cars tried to drive by.
Lady came over and offered money to the young kids of our group if they could recite the pledge. 4 boys took her up on this offer and probably received boob or crotch sweat money.
Lady started crying while singing the national anthem at the fireworks.
The other lady started yelling "Hallelujah amen!!!!!!" At the fireworks.
"I will praise that there is no Isis tonight. No Isis tonight. " was said because the fireworks would scare them off.
One of the ladies kept her hand raised in a black power salute through the entire fireworks.
Stood up when Toby Keith Stars and Stripes came on a radio
Said Toby Keith sang God bless the USA.
When we went to leave after the fireworks were done, one of the ladies started yelling to us that this was not over and that we needed to be more patriotic.

Happy 'Merica Day

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm a not entirely unpatriotic dude and I consider the pledge to be extremely unsettling and ominous, along with literal worship of the flag and constitution as immutable (the immutability generally mentioned at the same time as the amendments)

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Town fireworks entertainment for the night:

I took my young daughter and wife to watch the town fireworks display. We met up with some of my coworkers and watched from the parking lot of my school. This is what I was able to witness tonight:

Right before we got there I missed one lady recite the pledge of allegiance to the confederate flag.
This woman along with another drunk lady yelling USA! USA! at each other from across the street.
A family shooting fireworks off in the middle of a street while cars tried to drive by.
Lady came over and offered money to the young kids of our group if they could recite the pledge. 4 boys took her up on this offer and probably received boob or crotch sweat money.
Lady started crying while singing the national anthem at the fireworks.
The other lady started yelling "Hallelujah amen!!!!!!" At the fireworks.
"I will praise that there is no Isis tonight. No Isis tonight. " was said because the fireworks would scare them off.
One of the ladies kept her hand raised in a black power salute through the entire fireworks.
Stood up when Toby Keith Stars and Stripes came on a radio
Said Toby Keith sang God bless the USA.
When we went to leave after the fireworks were done, one of the ladies started yelling to us that this was not over and that we needed to be more patriotic.

Happy 'Merica Day

i'm going to guess...arkansas?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

I'm a not entirely unpatriotic dude and I consider the pledge to be extremely unsettling and ominous, along with literal worship of the flag and constitution as immutable (the immutability generally mentioned at the same time as the amendments)

Yeah but loving deal with it today.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Abel Wingnut posted:

i'm going to guess...arkansas?

Southern/Central Illinois

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Bip Roberts posted:

settle down bip

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

Oh I'll deal with it

by attacking anybody who desecrates the flag!!!!

FLAG BIKINIS? BURNED! FLAG BUMPER STICKERS? CAR PUSHED INTO A LAKE! FLAG PINS? OKAY FOR NOW, I NEED TO THINK ABOUT THOSE

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Marlows posted:

Even so, I bet it's a more nuanced take than the unbelievable Max Landis screenplay in the works that basically replaces "black" with "orc" and considers itself insightful social commentary.

So Max Landis is rewriting Lord of the Rings?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Where's the fantasy novel that has chattel slavery but with the races reversed?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Freakazoid_ posted:

Farnham's Freehold, the black people are cannibals too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
John Cena delivers a message about love and patriotism and diversity in America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdK8hBkR3s

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I know Cena's talking but I can't stop staring at his roid veins. :stare:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Tonk posted:

They get access to Trump, which is worth money to them.

Ya gotta admit, Trump's strategy of going full Nixon with the press is pretty loving effective for the folk who don't go out and actively seek news.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

gradenko_2000 posted:

It seems to be a good message and the gay couple at the end is the icing.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

John Cena is a weird obsessive-compulsive wrestle-robot, and also a Super Cool Dude.

and yes nationalism is a disease, remember when there was significant public outcry at anyone who didn't wear a flag pin

why aren't they wearing flag pins, why do they hate america????

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

That is pretty nice. :unsmith:

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

This popped up as a trending story on facebook earlier today, so I clicked it expecting to find all manner of idiots and morons posting their dumb opinions for me to laugh at but surprisingly there were hundreds of positive posts by people agreeing with the message and I could only find a single asshat going on about how divisive John "FAKE MARINE" Cena's video was. :patriot:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

Are you talking about the movie White Man's Burden?

Edit Lion's Blood?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I drank several cans of today. Happy excuse for a cookout and federally mandated day off, everyone :banjo:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Epic High Five posted:

Oh I'll deal with it

by attacking anybody who desecrates the flag!!!!

FLAG BIKINIS? BURNED! FLAG BUMPER STICKERS? CAR PUSHED INTO A LAKE! FLAG PINS? OKAY FOR NOW, I NEED TO THINK ABOUT THOSE

Yeah! Get rid of that flag bikini. Awwww yeahhhhh.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is surprisingly great.

I watch WWE with my roommate sometimes and they also did a tribute for the Orlando victims that I was totally on edge for, expecting something lovely or tasteless to happen... but nope, they did a long solemn moment of silence with a big-rear end rainbow flag in the background and it was actually kind of moving, despite involving a bunch of oily dudes in superhero costumes. Wresting is pretty chill.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

showbiz_liz posted:

a bunch of oily dudes in superhero costumes

There's your answer right there. :v:

Seriously though, that's awesome.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Does John Cena abuse PEDs? He seems too cool to Chris Benoit himself. :smith:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Munkeymon posted:

I drank several cans of today. Happy excuse for a cookout and federally mandated day off, everyone :banjo:

Whenever I'm up in Minneapolis, their Coffee Bender is my poison of choice. So good.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Bip Roberts posted:

Don't forget the gauche cube thing.

Make the Kaaba tent again!

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/wikileaks-publishes-more-than-1000-hillary-clinton-war-emails-a7120011.html

quote:

Happy Independence Day.

WikiLeaks, the anti-secrecy website, has released more than 1,000 emails from Hillary Clinton’s private email server pertaining to the Iraq War.

The website tweeted a link to 1,258 emails on Monday that Clinton sent during her time as secretary of state. According to the release, the emails were obtained from the US State Department after they issued a Freedom of Information Act request. However, it’s unclear if any of the information is classified.

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange previously claimed that his website obtained enough proof for the FBI to indict the presumptive Democratic nominee for president.
Read more

“We could proceed to an indictment, but if Loretta Lynch is the head of the DOJ in the United States, she’s not going to indict Hillary Clinton,” Assange told ITV. “That’s not possible that could happen."

The newly released information will likely only serve as political fodder for the presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump, as Clinton met with FBI investigators over the weekend wrapping up the lengthy investigation. Sources close to the probe recently told CNN that the bureau will announce no charges against Clinton in the weeks to come.

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO EMAIL

ANY DAY NOW

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rapist goes flaccid years too late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

John Cena holds the record of most Make-A-Wish requests granted by a single person, currently at over 500. He's close to unimpeachable as far as character goes.

• Locked thread