Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah The Road is insanely depressing.

everyone assumes I am against having children because I have read or watched The Road

I have not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The Road is trite.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What I liked about the Road is that it has a fairly novel cause for its apocalypse. It's not really explicitly stated, but it appears that the world was put to poo poo because of a super volcano eruption

Nah it's probably a meteor strike or nuclear winter.

Also with Children of Men, one of my favorite litle details is how all the animals in the movie absolutely adore Theo.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I thought it was an asteroid strike?

Either one would super-gently caress the world, although super volcano probably less so. I remember those Niburu videos.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Noah's Island, a cartoon series for children, featuring a polar bear, some mammoths, and a Russian desmon named Sacha who says "Oisky Poisky" a lot (among other animals), had the same dark ending as The Road about eight years before it was penned.

Coincidence?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I haven't read the book because I enjoy life but when I watched the movie, the narrator said something about a bright orange glow and then no electrical power.

naem
May 29, 2011

jBrereton posted:

The Road is trite.

The book is fantastic

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

The book is also depressing as gently caress.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
The road is one of the few books of fiction I've ever read. I saw the film one night at about 1am and it was the most horrifically depressing thing ever.

Children of Men is an incredible film.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I usually read Blood Meridian, No Country For Old Men, and The Road each every two years

They're very good, but very depressing

I'm not a huge fan of his other stuff

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Blood Meridian, No Country For Old Men, and The Road
I'm not a huge fan of his other stuff

lol

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the horrifying thing about the road is that the collapse of the biosphere kills every single vertebrate before humans

the only food are humans

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

when I read the road it made me realize that in a true apocalypse no one would really know the cause. that seems impressively subtle and well thought out to me, but I'm a dumbass so maybe it's not.

children of men is also good.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Blood Meridian and The Road are depressing because they show what horrible poo poo people can repeatedly get away with outside the reach of society. They're probably a libertarian's wet dream.

Also this thread makes me want to rewatch Children of Men since it's been about a decade.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I read somewhere that cormac mccarthy's early work is good but his writing over the last few decades has devolved into needlessly obtuse and redundant postmodernisms... excerpts of his writing that I've seen have not convinced me otherwise. no country for old men the movie is fantastic though

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Blood Meridian and The Road are depressing because they show what horrible poo poo people can repeatedly get away with outside the reach of society. They're probably a libertarian's wet dream.

It's very telling how all some people can think about is an apocalyptic scenario.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Where are you guys watching Children of Men, i can't find it on prime and i don't trust win10 with torrenting.

ANyway, what's you guys think of These Final Hours? I thought it was like Spun meets the first Mad Max movie.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Phobophilia posted:

the horrifying thing about the road is that the collapse of the biosphere kills every single vertebrate before humans

the only food are humans

Which is dumb because you can survive on potatoes and soybeans forever, but if you use humans for caloric input you have to slaughter 1% of humanity every week so the humans would run out before canned food would.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i liked children of men.

i thought the fate of miriam is one of the most terrifying parts of the film. you see all the abhorrent stuff on the way into the refugee camp and its mysterious and terrifying. then miriam gets pulled out of the bus and dumped into that. you never see anything specific, but that just adds to how awful that fate was.

i also really liked the son of the art guy. my pet theory is that he used to be into some really bad poo poo. he has the neck tattoo and what appears to be a gunshot scar in his cheek. i always assumed he used to be wild but after "the incident" is kept on a short leash, imprisoned within his home, and forced to take meds that make him more docile.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

blood meridian is a really good book

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SciFiDownBeat posted:

It's very telling how all some people can think about is an apocalyptic scenario.

Jack Vance found a really good way to make a Fantasy/Post-Apocalypse Sci-Fi hybrid series that manages to capture the bugfuck lunacy of a ludicrously overdeveloped Earth in its final years. Science and Magic are completely indistinguishable, there's extremely weird lethal remnants of millions of years of dead civilizations everywhere, and the people just kind-of roll it off with an almost blase sense of fatalism. Fun trivia-- a lot of it ended up influencing Dungeons and Dragons.

Plus the covers are ace in that "I'll never get laid" aesthetic that mid-20th Century geek poo poo had on lock.

It's a nice dorky-as-gently caress counterweight to the rampant toxic machismo that permeates all the Children of Men/Blood Meridian perspective.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i loving love jack vance! well the dying earth poo poo, havent read the lyonesse stuff altho i have them at my cabin, waiting for the right moment. don't read much fantasy no more.

on topic, children of men is a ham fisted and heavy handed, boring shitstopia movie with some nice cinematography and action scenes. if only they'd decided to film a p.k. dick novel instead of a boring p.d. james novel.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 19, 2016

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I really like the scene in this movie where they are trying to scam the coke dealer and he's playing Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield in the background really loud all the while this Chinese kid keeps lighting off fireworks.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
the road is infinitely better because it actually has a plot that makes sense, but they hosed up the movie b/c in the book the kid is like, 6 years old but in the movie he's like 12 which makes him seem retarded. also in the book the father is like this stoic figure, but in the movie viggo can't loving stop weeping for 5 minutes. the novel is gritty, the movie is sappy. completely missed the mark.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Road (the movie) was a letdown because the director also made The Proposition, which is probably the best Western since Unforgiven. Been a few years since I read the book so maybe I should give it another go.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the road movie was bad
the book was great

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

children of men is good

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Road (the movie) was a letdown because the director also made The Proposition, which is probably the best Western since Unforgiven. Been a few years since I read the book so maybe I should give it another go.

I agree, the proposition is very good

I've seen the road but remember almost nothing about it

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Guy Pearce cameo in The Road was great

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Some people think The Road had a happy-ish ending, but you gotta ask yourselves... what was the family feeding that dog of all the animals were dead and food was incredibly scarce?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tumble posted:

Some people think The Road had a happy-ish ending, but you gotta ask yourselves... what was the family feeding that dog of all the animals were dead and food was incredibly scarce?

Supposedly the stockpile of canned food that the Father and the Boy run into earlier in the book may have been from the Survivalist and his family. I think the big hint is the reloaded shotgun shells he finds there.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
IMO The Road isn't about the apocalypse at all really, it's just about the relationship between the father and the son, which could happen in any setting. Seems to me to be sort of an anti-"Life is Beautiful" where they are in an awful situation and the father only makes it worse. He put his sickness into the kid, shows him the absolute worst humanity has to offer (let's spend the night outside a house full of cannibals) and it results in the kid being so distrusting that the true ending to the story might as well be that the kid shoots the family who tries to help him. However, with that ending you would kill yourself after finishing the story; the whole thing is so depressing anyway that the "happy" ending is fair enough.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

imagine if children of men ended with them sticking the baby on a spit and eating it like in the road, spoiler alert btw

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

radiatinglines posted:

I agree, the proposition is very good

I've seen the road but remember almost nothing about it

Professor Shark posted:

Guy Pearce cameo in The Road was great

The Rover is also very good, post apocalyptic Guy Pearce, it's almost a spiritual successor to the original Mad Max.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Phobophilia posted:

the only food are humans

see. at that point, i would have killed myself. I read the book for a class (a really loving great class) I dont get why they go on. are they looking for the coast or some sort of better place south? or are they kinda just wandering day by day for survival. i mean they find a house full of people being slowly slaughtered for their meat piece by piece while they are alive and then they find a newborn on spit roasting. there is nothing left to live for. If i were the dad, i would kill then kid then my self as fast as possible once i knew everything was totally hosed.

Dyna Soar posted:

the road is infinitely better because it actually has a plot that makes sense, but they hosed up the movie b/c in the book the kid is like, 6 years old but in the movie he's like 12 which makes him seem retarded. also in the book the father is like this stoic figure, but in the movie viggo can't loving stop weeping for 5 minutes. the novel is gritty, the movie is sappy. completely missed the mark.

drat, i always pictured the kind in the book as 12 or maybe 10. its not like he would get real education anyway.

RaySmuckles posted:

i liked children of men.

i thought the fate of miriam is one of the most terrifying parts of the film. you see all the abhorrent stuff on the way into the refugee camp and its mysterious and terrifying. then miriam gets pulled out of the bus and dumped into that. you never see anything specific, but that just adds to how awful that fate was.

i also really liked the son of the art guy. my pet theory is that he used to be into some really bad poo poo. he has the neck tattoo and what appears to be a gunshot scar in his cheek. i always assumed he used to be wild but after "the incident" is kept on a short leash, imprisoned within his home, and forced to take meds that make him more docile.

whats wrong with michael caine wife? I assume she was catatonic because she lost a kid or something. also gently caress the fishs for killing him, it wasn't even necessary. i am glad they all die in some poo poo hole tenant building for loving nothing.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I think Miriam is the antsy midwife who got yanked off the fugee bus and black-bagged for the cause

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I thought it was good to see Miss Trunchbull get a taste of her own medicine. I bet the soldiers made her eat a whole chocolate cake

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

peak debt posted:

Which is dumb because you can survive on potatoes and soybeans forever, but if you use humans for caloric input you have to slaughter 1% of humanity every week so the humans would run out before canned food would.

not when there isn't even enough light to grow potatoes and soybeans

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

dads_work_files posted:

I thought it was good to see Miss Trunchbull get a taste of her own medicine. I bet the soldiers made her eat a whole chocolate cake

no they just put her in that hosed up closet full of broken glass and nails that she had. the pokey i think.

heh, didnt know it was the same actress. thats cool.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

RaySmuckles posted:

i liked children of men.

You maybe right, he probably is. The book goes more into the Omegas, whom the name applies more to the extreme form of anarchic nihilists that vandalize trains and stage ambushes in the film. In the book, the name Omega stands for "Omega generation" and applies to those youngsters who were born last. They're heavily entitled by being doted upon by their elders because of their status. However, because they have also no future, the Omegas are also unstable, violent, and contemptible, but are treated with kid gloves by society, so they can get away with most crimes without punishment.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

drat, i always pictured the kind in the book as 12 or maybe 10. its not like he would get real education anyway.

The Boy is supposedly born just after the disaster strikes, so everything he's learned would be from the Father or his mother.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats wrong with michael caine wife? I assume she was catatonic because she lost a kid or something. also gently caress the fishs for killing him, it wasn't even necessary. i am glad they all die in some poo poo hole tenant building for loving nothing.

It's hinted at in the introductory shot of Jasper's home, with all the photos, Steve Bell cartoons, and magazine cutouts, that his wife was tortured by the government into catatonia for exposing some sort of injustice.

BTW, it's interesting that Americans are considered second-class citizens in this world, despite sharing many traits with the English. Julian herself mentions American parents who are killed in New York nuclear explosion and there's a one-legged man in Bexhill who tries to talk up Theo and Kee (who also works as an inside man for the Fishes). It also explains some of the adverts about illegal immigration, because it's no longer just black and brown people, it's this hidden population that speaks the same language and looks just like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Young Freud posted:

BTW, it's interesting that Americans are considered second-class citizens in this world, despite sharing many traits with the English.
Britain yearns for the glory days of its empire

• Locked thread