Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

same but also with the early morning farm escape.

Sons Of Anarchy should have ended with Charlie Humnan getting door checked by Clive Owen in a passing car.

Out of Band II posted:

Both movies are very good and with the Olympics coming up City of Men or City of God would be great films to get you into the "everything is terrible here in the favela" mindset.

What's also good for that is Elite Squad movies. Jose Padilha got some poo poo about the film endorsing supposedly fascism and police brutality, because you see one guy lose his idealism and become a brutal police thug who almost about to sodomize a boy with a broomstick and blows off a crippled perp's face off with a shotgun, but the second film where they take Captain Nasciemento's character further and make him question the system he's apart of and they even make the liberal politician who married his ex-wife, who you think he's going to poo poo on Nasciemento threw out the film, actually a good guy that both he and Nasciemento help each other redeems everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zarin posted:

I watched this movie once several years ago. I recall it hitting the end credits and I was like, "Welp. Probably should just go kill myself."

I think if the baby and/or Kee died or the movie ended without the Tomorrow showing up, I'd would probably feel the same way. While it's plenty ambiguous, it's a lot more hopeful than people are letting on. I'm guessing it's like a Rorschach test, depending on your mood and point of view you can read the ending as hopeful or downbeat.

Zarin posted:

One thing that I keep going back to is the whole premise of the movie: what if it's all a lie? What if the whole world HASN'T gone to poo poo, but only Britain/that corner of Europe, and the government is making all that up?

I'm not sure if that is what I'm SUPPOSED to take away from it, or what. I suppose I could rewatch it but man, it was heavy enough the first time.

That's kind of hard to pull off considering that Julianne Moore's character is an American and she and Owen talk about her parents getting killed in the New York explosion that's featured in that "Only Britain Soldiers On" advert. You get the impression she went to the U.S. after their child died and came back when everything went to poo poo in America. Also, his brother Danny Huston seems to be in a high position in the the government that he'd know those things, especially since it sounds like he witnessed the recovery of David personally.

The Protagonist posted:

gotta shoutout to the police footage from different angles of the same chase from different points of view with very convincing overlays, just really solid production value

If you haven't already, the Foreign Office, who did those overlay work, put out a reel of most of the advertisements. They also tell their own story, with the sterile England treating their pets as children by buying them fancy clothes, ads for plastic surgery to make people younger, organ markets, explicit commercials for sex drugs and prostitutes, anti-depressants and, of course, Quietus,etc. They tell a story of a society that is trying to ignore, bargain with and anesthetize itself from the prospect of coming extinction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VnIrXmdYhY (maybe :nws: for a bit)

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 4, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

dundun posted:

The movie is probably my top 10 best films. One thing I didn't get was when Clive Owen's character goes to the super rich people land and the weird guy at the table with the cyborg implants who kept typing into his computer and not taking his vitamins? What was his deal.

He's one of those last generation kids, supposedly Danny Huston's. He's got nothing to live for or strive to achieve, so of course he's going to play video games all day long.

Also, I don't think those were vitamins, I pretty sure they're some sort of euphoric or anti-depressant like what his father is taking.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Necc0 posted:

How old are you / have any of your friends settled down and had kids yet?

That scene will make a shitload more sense when that happens.

I just realized that kid would probably the same age as all those kids you see now playing mobile games on their parent's or own tablet or phone.

Also, I realized that movie turns 10 years old this year.

gently caress, I feel old.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

unpacked robinhood posted:

Best car battery skull bashing moment too

Goddamn right. That scene's loving brutal.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I watched the movie for a class and no one was sure about the all the dead/burning cows. we assumed it was symbolism or something.

I always assumed it was from a cull because of BSE.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MorgaineDax posted:

Doesn't the book have Julianne Moore's character the pregnant one, and the black refugee girl doesn't even exist?

Yes. Also, I think it's believed that it's men who are sterile.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kaedric posted:

Correct. This also makes the book super depressing because the (unknown at the time) father of the baby is brutally murdered by young punks halfway through the book. Sooooo there goes hope for mankind?

Not really, I believe the baby is a boy in the book as well.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lonos Oboe posted:

The decision to make the cause of the sterility a mystery is a huge plus for the film. I never read the book. But I think by the tone of the film that the feeling of the world being lost in a way that is beyond our power is very effective. It's been a while since I have seen it. But was there a mention of miscarriages when it happened? It is literally the loss of hope. And the fact that at the end we don't even know if there is a "cure" for what's happened or if this baby was a fluke. It fits the theme perfectly. You get a sense that the people who rescue them on the ship represent the best part of humanity and no matter what the mother and child will be cared for. Or not, if you are a cynical oval office.

You get the impression from Miriam's conversation with Theo in the abandoned school that there was some sort of rash of miscarriages and premature births, with the miscarriages happening earlier and earlier until there were no pregnancies.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I thought it was an asteroid strike?

Either one would super-gently caress the world, although super volcano probably less so. I remember those Niburu videos.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tumble posted:

Some people think The Road had a happy-ish ending, but you gotta ask yourselves... what was the family feeding that dog of all the animals were dead and food was incredibly scarce?

Supposedly the stockpile of canned food that the Father and the Boy run into earlier in the book may have been from the Survivalist and his family. I think the big hint is the reloaded shotgun shells he finds there.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

RaySmuckles posted:

i liked children of men.

i thought the fate of miriam is one of the most terrifying parts of the film. you see all the abhorrent stuff on the way into the refugee camp and its mysterious and terrifying. then miriam gets pulled out of the bus and dumped into that. you never see anything specific, but that just adds to how awful that fate was.

i also really liked the son of the art guy. my pet theory is that he used to be into some really bad poo poo. he has the neck tattoo and what appears to be a gunshot scar in his cheek. i always assumed he used to be wild but after "the incident" is kept on a short leash, imprisoned within his home, and forced to take meds that make him more docile.

You maybe right, he probably is. The book goes more into the Omegas, whom the name applies more to the extreme form of anarchic nihilists that vandalize trains and stage ambushes in the film. In the book, the name Omega stands for "Omega generation" and applies to those youngsters who were born last. They're heavily entitled by being doted upon by their elders because of their status. However, because they have also no future, the Omegas are also unstable, violent, and contemptible, but are treated with kid gloves by society, so they can get away with most crimes without punishment.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

drat, i always pictured the kind in the book as 12 or maybe 10. its not like he would get real education anyway.

The Boy is supposedly born just after the disaster strikes, so everything he's learned would be from the Father or his mother.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats wrong with michael caine wife? I assume she was catatonic because she lost a kid or something. also gently caress the fishs for killing him, it wasn't even necessary. i am glad they all die in some poo poo hole tenant building for loving nothing.

It's hinted at in the introductory shot of Jasper's home, with all the photos, Steve Bell cartoons, and magazine cutouts, that his wife was tortured by the government into catatonia for exposing some sort of injustice.

BTW, it's interesting that Americans are considered second-class citizens in this world, despite sharing many traits with the English. Julian herself mentions American parents who are killed in New York nuclear explosion and there's a one-legged man in Bexhill who tries to talk up Theo and Kee (who also works as an inside man for the Fishes). It also explains some of the adverts about illegal immigration, because it's no longer just black and brown people, it's this hidden population that speaks the same language and looks just like you.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah, there's hosed up poo poo like a parade of catamites in chains that the movie never touches. I'd love to see Blood Meridian get a movie or miniseries treatment, but holy hell it would be brutal if it was faithful to the book.

You would need a master's touch for that. One of the things that got me when reading Blood Meridian was Cormac McCarthy doing the "artist break the rules" thing with run-on sentences, because one of the key scenes the filibuster ambush by the Comanches is essentially a one page run-on sentence. It shouldn't work, but it does and it slams that whole chaotic brutality right into you because you start it off looking at painted cows then suddenly it's an Indian ambush and people are going apeshit and fumbling for the guns and dying then the Comanches begin raping the dying. You're supposed to be taking that whole scene all at once, no breaks, no blinks, no cutaways. The closest I can think how to even do that cinematically would be as a single shot scene.

ghlbtsk posted:

when you were in the operating room during that procedure, had you eaten in the last three weeks?

Let me tell you, vomit can smell like cheese pizza if you're not visual aware of it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FuhrerHat posted:

did you see the revenant? the first shot was neat

I have not but now I've got to see it.

Professor Shark posted:

There is a lot if terrible stuff that happens in BM, however the part at the end with the bear has always stuck with me

That poor bear :(

Somewhat related, when I made this, I had not realized that Vin Diesel was near 50. It's very possible that we could actually see this casting happen...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mr. Unlucky posted:

are you suggesting vin diesal as the judge wtf

:thejoke:

I didn't mean it seriously but I was rather surprised at how old Diesel is that I'm certain some exec would try and do that.

Professor Shark posted:

James Franco went thrpugh a period where he fell in love with Cormac McCarthy and really wanted to direct Blood Meridian. James Franco.

TBF, Mark Pellegrino wasn't a bad Judge Holden and Scott Glenn as Toadvine was perfect casting. But yeah, that test footage wasn't that hot.

• Locked thread