Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My folks are at the Cubs game today for my dad's birthday, and one of the gifts I got him was a big ol' W Flag, which he found quite amusing in light of our recent skid. He brought it with him to the game though, so please win so he can use it, Cubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
We're only 0.2 innings in and Baez already almost Schwarber'd himself making a play. :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Don't cut to Schwarber when Len and JD are discussing player trades :mad:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh hey, Maddon finally moved Heyward down in the lineup. Only took him 82 games.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I was going to make a joke about how Heyward being in the six spot hasn't stopped him from grounding out with RISP, but then the RBI double happened :toot:

So far so good Cubs, don't Cub it up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Retail Slave posted:

Been a while since I've seen a 1st inning IBB.

Even better that it was Candelario, who got IBB'd in his second ever major league game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Retail Slave posted:

We've got the Rangers coming up though.

I'm sure I'll regret having said this when we inevitably get swept, but that's after the all-star break, and I'm fine with taking on the Rangers after the Cubs have gotten some well-deserved rest and Fowler is back.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
How is it possible that one man can be so handsome and so good at baseball?

R.D. Mangles posted:

oh, fowler's going to be in the rotation?

Didn't you hear? Fowler and Miggy are going to get a chance in the rotation, and we're putting Arrieta and Lester in the bullpen because they're washed up bums.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Contreras is the truth

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Baez would have tagged Bruce out on his way to third :mad:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Well that's one way to grab two more runs :lol:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
STOP COLLIDING

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Retail Slave posted:

Don't OF'ers shout "I got it" anymore?

My understanding has always been that the CF is in charge of the OF and if they're calling for a ball, you back off even if you think you've got a better shot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Reds bullpen is so bad that Kyle Hendricks just blooped in a single.

His :smugdog: look on 1B was pretty great.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^^
My dad's at the game sitting down the 3B line, and he said Bryant looked pretty dazed coming off the field back into the dugout. I assume he's being pulled as a concussion precaution.

Retail Slave posted:

Are they still on pace to be historically terrible?

7th worst bullpen ERA in NL history, currently the worst since 1938. The Reds just fired their pitching coach this morning.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Retail Slave posted:

I've only been half paying attention the past few innings and am also slightly inebriated.... what happened to Bryant that we're afraid he may have a concussion?

Retail Slave posted:

STOP RUNNING INTO EACH OTHER, ASSHOLES!!!!

:v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
On the replay it looked like Bryant bonked his head on Almora's glove hand as they criss-crossed, which I assume was the worst of it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What absolute loving bullshit.

I mean, I don't even care about the potential runs scoring, I care about the fact that it robbed Kyle of finishing up the 6th and getting his QS :argh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also, the fact that the umps didn't allow time and let Votto run to 3B after the confusion on the botched DP is super dumb.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 4, 2016

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
ADDY :woop:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wood vs Wood matchup.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Retail Slave posted:

OK I'll give $50 to any Goon who goes and physically drag Jeff Garlin out of the booth. This is painful.

Now he's in Len & JD's booth and he's equally annoying, so don't worry we're all suffering.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DeepDickPizza posted:

I usually like Jeff Garlin, but now seeing him on TV he's going a little overboard. He has to be drunk or something.

It's 4th of July, who isn't drunk?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wood, our best bullpen pitcher by a mile this season who's well known for not giving up a lot of dongs, gives up 3 ER on back to back dongs.

That pretty much sums up the Cubs bullpen this season, yeah.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Rizzo just got absolutely clowned on that check swing call.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Strop is cool.

Also - and I feel weird saying this - but the strike zone has been remarkably good today. I can't think of a call to either team that I felt was terrible egregious.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs Win! :toot:

Thank God for the Reds.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I just noticed today that Contreras comes out to the cheezy original Godzilla theme, which is basically perfect.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Not sure what Urias did to annoy this ump but this is the most I've seen a pitcher get squeezed in a long time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You might as well just give Hamilton 2B as soon as he got on, we were never going to pick him off.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:shepface:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Lackey is bad and should feel bad.

Also :lol: at Contreras of all people saving Lackey's rear end.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Retail Slave posted:

Maybe someone should go out and, oh, maybe talk to Lackey? Settle him down a bit?

Contreras tried that once, the mound visit lasted all of three seconds as Lackey barked something at him and Contreras immediately turned around and walked back to the plate.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs just got 1-2-3'd by the Reds.

Welp, see you tomorrow everybody.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So can we get rid of Lackey now? Presumably the front office was willing to overlook him being a raging toxic dickhead because he was good at pitching, but now that he's not good at pitching he's just a raging toxic dickhead.

I'm sure the Cardinals would take him back. An rear end in a top hat who can't pitch would fit in with their staff perfectly.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Can't exactly blame Maddon for wanting to bail on this game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I really wish there was a pitcher on the Cubs who isn't currently infected by a terrifying bout of walk-itis. Even guys like Hendricks and Lackey who are pretty well known for not really walking a lot of guys seem to have caught the bug. Everybody in the bullpen outside of Rondon struggles with it to. It's like we have a whole roster of pitchers who are afraid to attack the zone and it's really frustrating.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Now if we could just get the Javy Baez Experience four more times, we'll be in business.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Bryant will take his MVP award on the way out, thanks. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wrigley Russell 2016 is the new Wrigley Bryant 2015. :woop:

• Locked thread