Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I'm a huge nerd, I need a the ability to self host a chat server for a roleplaying chat.
I have tried rocket.chat and had nothing but issues because mongodb loves to poo poo the bed. Mattermost does not offer the permissions granularity that i require for new users, elevated users, and differant types of gms/admins. I do not think Let's chat offers the permissions that i requires, and I can't afford hipchat because of its 2 dollars per use fee. I am looking to have around 30-60 active users in chat. What are some options I can look at? Also I could have sworn I posted this thread on my way out of the house but i think I may have hit preview twice if I didn't and some how am double posting the thread then I deserve the probation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
When you say self-hosted does it have to be something you want on-prem? Discord is a hot thing for game chat.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
I've used rocketchat in the docker setup and never had a problem. Discord is geared for gaming but I don't believe is self-hosted. Could always do an IRC or XMPP server.

poxin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 11, 2016

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Super Slash posted:

When you say self-hosted does it have to be something you want on-prem? Discord is a hot thing for game chat.

except this is for super nerdy table top stuff with a bunch of people, but I figured out what I needed to do, don't allow rocket to store usernames or password in mongodb just use wordpress oauth off the main site.

• Locked thread