Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Cnut the Great posted:

The other day he accidentally took a bite out of something with gluten in it, and upon realizing this he immediately rushed to the bathroom to induce vomiting. I'm not a doctor but I think that kind of behavior is probably more detrimental to his health than consuming a single molecule of gluten.

Why are people so crazy when it comes to gluten?

have you ever noticed your username is an anagram of "oval office Rag Teeth"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I AM GLUTE

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zzulu posted:

Bread is delicious and full of carbs and calories which is excellent when you're bulking

it is the devils food if you're cutting though

It's a vicious cycle.

Just buy a food scale and snag the catering menu from whole foods.

You're welcome. :colbert:

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Special Snowflake Syndrome

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

wanna eat that

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I hate when people say they're gluten intolerant and kick up a big fuss in restaurants and if they come round for dinner. But then if they want a cupcake or whatever they'll be like 'I'll just treat myself'. gently caress you.

Sorry. I'm gluten shaming. Gonna read this column to punish myself: http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/gluten-free-alcohol

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

celiac disease is a real thing that's miserable to live with

there is no such thing as "gluten intolerance" and your friend is diminishing the importance of people with the aforementioned real disease

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I know someone who stopped eating gluten, and now they got fibromyalgia and a bunch of other made-up ailments!

So tell ur friend to be safe, OP! Sometimes the cure is worse than the other thing that's not actually a disease??

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Does gluten or bread or etc effect IBS ? Have someone who swears theirs got better going after gluten free stuff

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

LethalGeek posted:

Does gluten or bread or etc effect IBS ? Have someone who swears theirs got better going after gluten free stuff

I know someone with legit diagnosed Celiac and if they eat gluten by accident their IBS gives them hell for days.

So probably yes

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Y-Hat posted:

celiac disease is a real thing that's miserable to live with

there is no such thing as "gluten intolerance" and your friend is diminishing the importance of people with the aforementioned real disease

Also this X1000

However my poor Celiac friend is actually thankful for the gluten "intolerant" whiners because them making gluten-free a fad has caused a whole bunch of new gluten free foods to hit the market. Silver lining :shrug:

sketch_nimrod
Apr 1, 2010
shortly after I stopped eating sandwiches and pizza every day my nose stopped always running. i don't know if there's a connection. well, cya.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Cuckoo posted:

However my poor Celiac friend is actually thankful for the gluten "intolerant" whiners because them making gluten-free a fad has caused a whole bunch of new gluten free foods to hit the market. Silver lining :shrug:

have you tried any of it? it's really bad. i mean, better than nothing, sure. but it's still awful.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Dogmeat posted:

have you tried any of it? it's really bad. i mean, better than nothing, sure. but it's still awful.

its probably not as awful as making GBS threads your pants every day for weeks because of a diagnosed condition you have

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
Work in a bakery in a city of millionaires.

I was surprised gluten free is still a trend, but white rich women will always need somewhere to point their blame finger to for their wine guts.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
don't gluten shame, you'll make Greg sad

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

The best part about having celiac disease is definitely hearing people ramble on to you about how what you're dealing with is real and all those gluten intolerant mofos are just faking it.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Macnult posted:

The best part about having celiac disease is definitely hearing people ramble on to you about how what you're dealing with is real and all those gluten intolerant mofos are just faking it.

Yeah I'm like a fag hag except instead of gays I latch onto celiacs. I'm a celiac philiac.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Gluten is rad. I want a shirt that says that with a bowl of spaghetti or a slice of pizza on a skateboard wearing sunglasses looking all cool and poo poo.

cloven hoof
Mar 17, 2009

diabeetz posted:

Work in a bakery in a city of millionaires.

I was surprised gluten free is still a trend, but white rich women will always need somewhere to point their blame finger to for their wine guts.

What's up bakery buddy?
I get asked about gluten all day and I try to tell them that our naturally leavened breads made from organic flours might be easier to digest, but they want cookies.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cuckoo posted:

This. I'm a dirty celiac person. It blows. You can't pick up a cupcake and be bad... it's outright avoidance or be in toilet pain with cramps for a night hoping your intestines don't fall out. I'll pass on the details. The worst is hidden fodmaps like soy fillers in gluten free products. Night of pain.

Anyway, I don't care if gluten people fake it. I'd rather say thank you to all you insane gluten whiners because my local store carries gluten free beer that doesn't make me poo poo! I feel almost human again!

/crawls back into a hole

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Gluten is the Great Seitan

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

a hole-y ghost posted:

Gluten is the Great Seitan

Nice...

Gluten intolerance is almost bad as msg allergies, which don't exist at all. If you were allergic to glutamates you couldn't eat tomatoes or parmesan cheese you chump hypochondriacs.

But yeah sorry legit celiac havers, I will dedicate my beer and pizzas to your quiet suffering

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

LethalGeek posted:

That's probably because your friend replaced all their terrible white bread and fried battered crap with fruits and vegetables with actual fiber in it. It's kinda like how when some people become vegetarians (but not vegans) they get healthier, mainly because they pay a lot more attention to what they eat and cut out all the crap they used to consume.

Anyway, I live with someone with an actual diagnosed food intolerance, and that's just inability to absorb or metabolise a certain thing, like when someone is lactose intolerant. Coeliac is an honest autoimmune thing, like an allergy. And it's bad enough when my friend has stuff he isn't supposed to, so an actual Coeliac attack's gotta be worse. So normally I'd a little pissed off at these whiny self-diagnosed gluten intolerant idiots, but then I remember that food producers, supermarkets and restaurants happily give gluten-free stuff a huge markup, and so things work out in the end.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

i got gluten free beer on accident once and it was really good

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
just kill yourself if you can't enjoy a baguette or pizza.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kaluza-Klein posted:

just kill yourself if you can't enjoy a baguette or pizza.

Why can't I just eat gluten free pizza? :( I want to live!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

IronClaymore posted:

That's probably because your friend replaced all their terrible white bread and fried battered crap with fruits and vegetables with actual fiber in it. It's kinda like how when some people become vegetarians (but not vegans) they get healthier, mainly because they pay a lot more attention to what they eat and cut out all the crap they used to consume.
Their diet didn't really change but I've heard less about it so :shrug:. Plus they cut Chinese take out from their life for the same reason so something is going on but they never go to a doc about anything because of some childhood stuff.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

An Ounce of Gold posted:

gluten is what makes it good

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Living without gluten ain't living at all.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Tuxedo Gin posted:

test him by giving him a cookie and claiming it is gluten free when actually it is full of gluten. after he doesn't get sick, tell him he'a a dumb little bitch

My mom did this with mushrooms. I still got sick. Then she reversed it and told me there was mushrooms in something that I ate but there wasn't. I still got sick.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

dog buttz posted:

My mom did this with mushrooms. I still got sick. Then she reversed it and told me there was mushrooms in something that I ate but there wasn't. I still got sick.

Maybe it's just that your mom is a bad cook?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Pththya-lyi posted:

Maybe it's just that your mom is a bad cook?

Or trying to kill him? Makes you wonder

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i loving love gluten i always order extra

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
people dont like gluten because it sounds like the word glutton

same as we use the word "fat" to mean dietary fat which isnt necessarily bad

that is the end of the mysteries

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

reallivedinosaur posted:

i loving love gluten i always order extra

I'm a BYOG kinda guy. Life of the party.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

King of Bees posted:

Or trying to kill him? Makes you wonder

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
your friend is not wrong

there is a medical term for what your friend has: "being a complete pussy princess with a cute dress living in a big pink castle for pussies"

there's no treatment yet I'm sorry

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

List of food restrictions for a cottage weekend I'm going to next month where we all prepare one meal for everyone:

quote:

Food intolerances include wheat, eggs, corn, sesame, milk, all legume beans, oats, flax, oyster, garlic, almonds, kiwi, wakame seaweed. Please add any others that I've missed. It's ok if these are in small amounts in a recipe, but we'll bring our own alternatives ie. rice bread, soy milk, etc.

Vegetarian options would also be appreciated

Told them I'd make ice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

flashy_mcflash posted:

List of food restrictions for a cottage weekend I'm going to next month where we all prepare one meal for everyone:

Told them I'd make ice

I just wouldn't go. Like, what the gently caress's the point?

Plus the "it's ok if there are small amounts" usually means nobody has an actual allergy, they just get off on making people jump through hoops.

• Locked thread