Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Like the first cases of DR1 and DR2, this first murder here was a stabbing. DR2 copied DR1's pattern of killings, so if DR3 continues the tread, we should next see a bludgeoning, a double murder, and a suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Poor Bandai. If only his gimmick was saying things like "Hello, my restricted action is..." instead of "horses can't play sudoku" or whatever he could've made it. :negative:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't think Great Gozu is likely to die too soon because if he does there will literally be no one to protect Naegi from Ashitty no Joe and Evil Narukami Yu

Which also makes him a convenient suspect, but eh

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It just occurred to me that the theory where a killer is randomly selected each round isn't likely. The win condition for the game is to go a round with no one dying. A good handful of the people there I can imagine would just let themselves die if that were the case meaning that someone dies and the game continues. This makes it more likely that either A) the killer is a person who is on the side of despair, or B) the killer is on the side of hope, and it was someone chosen by despair who they can easily manipulate, be it the fear of death or the ransom of a loved one.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
With a Hope Foundation like this, who needs Despair? These idiots are going to self-destruct from the inside out, Junko wouldn't have needed to lift a finger! :stare:

I love Junichi Suwabe but my god they got him to voice the shittiest person in the whole group.

So any bets on Great Gozu turning out to be a woman because dangit Ron Paul? :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

orenronen posted:

Yeah - Monobear said if you do whatever the bracelet says, you're dead. Naegi's says "run", it doesn't say "you're not allowed to run".

Ah, good point. I didn't notice that distinction.

CryingAthena posted:

So any bets on Great Gozu turning out to be a woman because dangit Ron Paul? :allears:

I half expect him to be a a tiny guy piloting a Great Gozu suit.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

The best thing about the FF being a bunch of shitheads is that the entire world is watching them act less mature than the high schoolers they watched last time.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's not like zealotry is a new thing, and they've made it pretty clear these guys have been dipping in the poo poo for so long they care more about eliminating the bad than nurturing the good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

These guys are so crazy that Komaeda is looking at these guys in his rear-view mirror and shaking his head.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

By Komeda's logic, the greatest hope will survive even greater.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Hmm, the "our" there seems pretty deliberate. Alright, I'll accept she's an AI of the original. But now I'm worried about what happened to the original...

I'm pretty sure that "our" was Monomi and Chiaki, in that they were both made by Alter Ego/Chihiro.

On the other hand both of the other AIs in the series were based off dead people, so who knows.

Butt Ghost posted:

I guess there could always be some twist, but they've said that they chose V3 to be unrelated to the previous games.

Kodaka basically said that this was all he felt a need to do with the Hope's Peak Academy arc, and anything he does with the series in the future will be unrelated. So anything else will probably be terrible as he won't be working on it, considering past trends. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 19, 2016

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Anatharon posted:

I'm pretty sure that "our" was Monomi and Chiaki, in that they were both made by Alter Ego/Chihiro.

On the other hand both of the other AIs in the series were based off dead people, so who knows.

Monomi is Alter Ego's creation, that much is clear from DR2. But if that's the case, then why is it wheelchair girl's avatar? If so, where does that put AI Chiaki, and potentially real Chiaki?

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

But if that's the case, then why is it wheelchair girl's avatar? If so, where does that put AI Chiaki, and potentially real Chiaki?

Wheelchair girl is Chiaki, calling it.
Despair Chiaki is the killer.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

ViggyNash posted:

Monomi is Alter Ego's creation, that much is clear from DR2. But if that's the case, then why is it wheelchair girl's avatar? If so, where does that put AI Chiaki, and potentially real Chiaki?
I thought Alter Ego only modified Monomi and Chiaki?

Either way a complex system like the Neo World Program is obviously not the work of a single person, and the wiki lists Yasuke (Neurologist), Chihiro (Programmer), and Miaya (Therapist) (that's wheelchair girl) as collaborating on it, so it makes sense Miaya has access to a copy of Monomi. Particularly since Monomi's behavioral programming would fall within her role in such a collaboration.
(Or she already had Usami and adapted it to use in the NWP. Either works)

Maybe Chiaki helped in making the NWP too, considering the thing is fairly gamey, and then she got killed and the others put her AI inside.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 20, 2016

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

The wheelchair girl is Former SHSL Therapist, and they said in the episode she was a member of the team that developed the original VR simulation in SDR2. She was probably responsible for fleshing out the psychological components of Usami's teacher-role character.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

I like Monobears new voice, needs to work on her Upupu a bit though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

orenronen posted:

The wheelchair girl is Former SHSL Therapist, and they said in the episode she was a member of the team that developed the original VR simulation in SDR2. She was probably responsible for fleshing out the psychological components of Usami's teacher-role character.

Ah, I missed that.

Still, that brings up another interesting set of questions: Was wheelchair girl willing to talk before Monomi's creation? Was she willing to talk in the time between creating Monomi for the DR2 sim and now, or did she use Monomi to communicate as she does now? If that's true, then she likely stopped talking because she is no longer allowed to and needed an avatar to communicate, but if so then one of the other characters should have mentioned that by now. If it's not true, then that brings up a whole slew of other questions.

I'm really curious to see what they do with wheelchair girl now, because that's a lot of questions to answer.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

I'm really curious to see what they do with wheelchair girl now, because that's a lot of questions to answer.

They're up to something with her, that's for sure.

The official site for the series lists which class each of the characters were in on their page. Munakata, Chisa and Suwabe were class 74, which makes sense if Chisa started teaching class 77 shortly after she graduated. Kimura, Minase and Eguchi are from class 76. Class 75 isn't represented, which makes me think something happened to them. Bandai was in class 66 and Gozu in 69, making them much older than the rest. Mitarai, curiously, is listed as originally from class 77.

Wheelchair girl Gekkogahara's class is "unknown".

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mitarai is the Animator, right? There's also something up with him. He shows up late to the meeting, and back in Despair Arc SLSH Imposter is being him instead of Byakuya? Also he was in the former student housing?

Something is definitely up with him across both the Future and Despair arcs.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

FPzero posted:

Mitarai is the Animator, right? There's also something up with him. He shows up late to the meeting, and back in Despair Arc SLSH Imposter is being him instead of Byakuya? Also he was in the former student housing?

Something is definitely up with him across both the Future and Despair arcs.

Yeah. If Future Arc Mitarai's description says he was in class 77 (the SDR2 class), but he's clearly the imposter in Despair Arc (who should be in a coma back on the island at this point), then who is this guy?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I am glad to see my best friend Chiaki Nanami doing things again even if it's all very confusing for now.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

orenronen posted:

Yeah. If Future Arc Mitarai's description says he was in class 77 (the SDR2 class), but he's clearly the imposter in Despair Arc (who should be in a coma back on the island at this point), then who is this guy?

Even more confusing is that the imposter when Despaired is impersonating Byakuya like he did in the simulation. That means that at some point he changed who he was impersonating? I knew we hadn't heard his whole story at the end of DR2.

Edit: He not only changed who he was impersonating, but he also remained grouped with the 77th class? And where is Future Arc Mitarai through all of this? The questions just keep mounting up.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They could both be at school at the same time just in different homerooms. Some characters from DR0 are supposedly in the 77th class too so they have to be somewhere. The imposter could have changed his disguise from Togami to Mitarai at some point after enrollment.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
It's possible the Imposter switched to Togami after the events of the first game; the survivors are symbols of hope, so the Remnants might want to drag those symbols down by making it seem as if they've fallen to despair. Naegi or Asahina would probably have been a more effective choice than the guy who spent the game puppeting corpses around for his own amusement, though, and it doesn't explain why the Imposter would be Togami on the island.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ViggyNash posted:

Ah, I missed that.

Still, that brings up another interesting set of questions: Was wheelchair girl willing to talk before Monomi's creation? Was she willing to talk in the time between creating Monomi for the DR2 sim and now, or did she use Monomi to communicate as she does now? If that's true, then she likely stopped talking because she is no longer allowed to and needed an avatar to communicate, but if so then one of the other characters should have mentioned that by now. If it's not true, then that brings up a whole slew of other questions.

Keep in mind that Monomi wasn't necessarily created just for DR2. For all we know that's been her avatar all along, and she used it in DR2 simply because that's the avatar she was already used to using.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

orenronen posted:

Maybe Mitarai hired the Imposter to be him so he could meet those deadlines :razz:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

orenronen posted:

Byakuya was also a real person when the impostor was pretending to be him, so I see no reason to believe that the animator was a real person, but for him to be labeled as part of class 77 is strange. Also, why would the imposter swap from Byakuya before entering Hope's Peak to Mitarai after entering?

SO MANY QUESTIONS.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
I'm pleasantly surprised how much I'm enjoying this over what they attempted to do with the DR1 anime (though understandably, cramming all of that within 12-13 episodes was harsh). It feels great to find myself in speculation-mode again since Oren's DR1 and DR2 let's plays.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

HelloWinter posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised how much I'm enjoying this over what they attempted to do with the DR1 anime (though understandably, cramming all of that within 12-13 episodes was harsh). It feels great to find myself in speculation-mode again since Oren's DR1 and DR2 let's plays.

except this time there can't be people posting spoilers and half-heartedly hide it as speculation and turn the main twist into a meme so it's even better

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

a cartoon duck posted:

except this time there can't be people posting spoilers and half-heartedly hide it as speculation and turn the main twist into a meme so it's even better

It was actually Sayaka this whole time.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I am a dumb dumb head.

Could someone please tell me if this is going to be a all new story for Danganronpa 2 as things seem to be different from the game. Would be happy if they did mix the story up a bit as I love Danganropa 2 the vidya game

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Side: Despair is a prequel to Danganronpa 2. Side: Future takes place immediately after it.

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012

orenronen posted:

Class 75 isn't represented, which makes me think something happened to them.

Could be the class that bit the dust in the prototype Killing game from DR:Zero

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Isn't it only a 2 year school? According to the timeline the 77th graduated right before the whole world went sideways.

and i think in the first game it was said that the 78th got one normal year before barricading themselves in the old school building

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 21, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I would like side future to surprise me by, say, not killing Great Gozu

I'm sick of Danganronpa properties keeping the mostly crap characters alive :(

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
But if they kill the crap characters, then their deaths have no emotional impact. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

I just want Hagakure to die already. Every character remotely related to Chihiro dies while this guy sits around being a moron in every game. Even his mother survived Despair Girls. :argh:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

voltcatfish posted:

I would like side future to surprise me by, say, not killing Great Gozu

I'm sure somebody out there is a big fan of Soda Pop and is very glad he lived.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

e: ^^^ it's me, I like Kazuichi. He's a bro as long as he isn't trying to woo Sonia and failing.

I kinda want Yasuhiro to survive the whole way just because he's always been the least likely to survive everything yet always manages to do so. Maybe since he died in the original DR1 demo he got full immunity from death in this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I just want Hagakure to die already. Every character remotely related to Chihiro dies while this guy sits around being a moron in every game.
This is a bad thing?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Even his mother survived Despair Girls. :argh:

Butt Ghost posted:

This is a bad thing?

• Locked thread