Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories came out in 1999 in Japan and released overseas to the US in 2002. Licensed by Konami and developed for the PlayStation, the game is an obvious advertisement for the Trading Card Game: Yu-Gi-Oh!, not to mention the consecutively running anime and manga at the time. Having come out when the TCG was in its infancy, the rules of Yu-Gi-Oh! are changed heavily for this video game. The rules are much simpler to understand, allowing anyone to pick up and play for their first time.

Note that I specified "first time". Though it's easy to follow, the game quickly becomes nigh-unplayable after a couple of hours of playtime, due to several abhorrently poor game design choices. This game isn't very good, and has far, far too much forced grinding and padding than it has any right to. Sadly, that's probably the only reason I don't find this game enjoyable.

The game is set in Ancient Egypt -- if the box art didn't give it away -- and it's our job to challenge poor saps to a children's card game, summon a diverse range of monsters, and eviscerate our opponents mercilessly. And of course, stop the bad guys. Ra only knows why we don't just beat them to a pulp with our fists, but whatever.

1. So I don't need to play the card game/watch the anime to understand this?

No, and that's perhaps the biggest compliment for this game, aside from the music being generally pretty good. If it were better designed, I'd say it's a decent gateway into the franchise. Even veteran Yu-Gi-Oh! players will find something new to experience here. Whether the new experience is good in of itself is up to you...but the answer is no.

2. Spoiler policy?

There isn't much to spoil in this game, but I'm sure some people would still like to see the game unfold naturally. As such, please do not spoil any plot points or future boss fights. When it comes to the playing cards, it's a somewhat different story. If you're gonna talk about certain Monster cards or strategies, you can do so freely. Just please refrain from making any connections between those cards and the boss fights.

3. Format?

Screenshot for the majority, then videos for the card battles. At times I may show card battles in screenshots, but those would be the exception.

4. Staff?

GeneralYeti is here serving as my co-commentator and he will speak in bold text.

5. I own some Yu-Gi-Oh cards. Does that factor in?

Actually, yes! Read the end of the first update for more details. I will be accepting cards from the goons until the end of the LP, or until otherwise specified.

Updates:

1. Baby's First TCG

2. A Bigger Shitposter Than I

3. Soul-Crushing

4. Stop Talking to Yourself

5. Yeti Was Right; This Game Needs to be Burned

6. Solumin Giveth and Konami Taketh Away

7. no

8/ It Wouldn't Be a Finale Without a Rapid-Fire String of "gently caress You"'s

giver336 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Reserved just in case. Who knows.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #1: Baby's First TCG

Ah, Konami. Welcome to an older era of gaming where these guys were actually pretty relevant for something other than pachinko machines.

I'm holding out hope that they'll suddenly produce good games again and then boy will there be egg on your face.

It's actually a pretty snazzy game intro.

This game's soundtrack is actually quite good! If you read the OP, then you can probably figure that it's the best part of the game. Though, I do think most Yu-Gi-Oh! games have great soundtracks so this shouldn't be a surprise.

Come for the card games, stay for the musical accompaniment. Because hosed if you'll be staying for the travesty that is this card game's ruleset.

Anyways, we're gonna be going slightly out-of-order to start with. I want to jump right in and explain how this game's card rules work and how it differs from the real-life game. There are, of course, some differences given that this game came out when the official card game was still in its infancy.

Whoop! Time for some tutorializing courtesy of Giver. (and me, I suppose, but I doubt I'll be very helpful as I've never played this game before.)

So the objective of the game is to reduce your opponent's Life Points to 0 before yours. Each player starts with 8,000 and you can see it the upper right corner. Both decks can only have 40 cards, no more, no less. The player always goes first.

Our five cards with creepy/cute monster art is what's known as our Hand. Our Hand must have 5 cards in it, no more, no less, as well. If your Hand cannot have 5 cards (meaning we ran out of cards to draw), then that means you lose the game.

Our monsters have Attack and Defense points, which determine how strong it is. Monsters with higher attack will always win in a fight. Pretty self-explanatory. That weird symbol next to a monster's stats is their race. More on that in a bit.

Let's go to the field for one moment. You can clearly see 10 squares where we can put down cards, yeah?

I would, but I'm too busy staring at that thing grinning out of a jar. Seriously, it looks like it wants to eat me.

The top 5 squares is what's known as a Monster Zone. Monsters, and only Monsters go here.

Below that is something called the Magic and Trap Zone. Magic and Traps don't have attack or defense points, but they instead can be used to augment your monster's power, or defend from opposing attacks. Other types of magic can be used to raise or subtract Life Points. Our Hand does not currently have Magic or Traps, so that's all for now.

The first turn is always ours, so let's place a monster. A monster can be placed facedown or faceup. The only difference between the two is whether or not you want to hide it from your opponent (which you should always do).

You can only ever play one card per turn. One Magic/Trap, or one Monster.

Hm... I don't think that was quite in-your-face enough.

:siren::siren:You can only play ONE card a turn. That means you can't play two monsters, two Magic/Traps, or one of each, or any other number. ONE. Singular. Uno.:siren::siren:

There we go.

When you confirm the monster you want to place, you will be asked to pick one of two Guardian Stars. Each monster has their own two Guardian Stars. These Starts follow a Rock-Paper-Scissor type system whereby having a superior Guardian Star nets you an extra 500 Atk/Def boost.

This picture is pretty succint.

As you can see, there are two classes of Guardian Stars, and a monster will have one Star in each category. So our Kuriboh has the option of Mercury or Saturn. And, going by the picture, I need to watch out for Venus or Jupiter monsters. That monster will gain a 500 ATK advantage and since my monster only has 300 ATK/200 DEF, well...

You'll usually get one Star from each of the two cycles - one of the Magic alignments (the top cycle, Sun/Moon/Venus/Mercury) and one of the Elemental alignments (the bottom cycle, Mars/Jupiter/Saturn/Uranus/Pluto/Neptune). There are a few that don't follow the general rule, but exceptions prove the rule as they say.

There's no real good mnemonics to remember these trumps, but they're fairly straightforward. The top cycle is only four elements, so c'mon now. The bottom cycle, for what it's worth, goes in order from closest to Earth -> furthest from Earth, with Pluto and Neptune swapped for whatever reason.

This horizontal placement is what's known as Facedown Defense Position. You typically do this if you wanted to stall, or conserve your Life points. You see, cards that are in defense position don't subtract Life Points if they are destroyed by something stronger.

If my Kuriboh was in Attack position (vertical), any monster that kills him will subtract Life Points from me automatically. If a monster with 800 ATK kills my 300 ATK Kuriboh, I take 500 Life Points worth of damage, leaving me with 7,500.

This, so far, is how the real game works, so that's pretty nice. Giver hasn't mentioned it, but you get two choices - facedown or faceup, and Attack or Defense. Yes, Yugioh veterans, you can play your monster in facedown Attack mode. Yes, it's bizarre as hell and no, I have no loving clue how it works.

Not too bad, right? A couple of turns go by and the computer does something...

What the computer did is what's known as Fusion. You see, when certain monsters are paired with certain monsters, they make another certain monster! Does this sound vague? It should, because the game expects you to try and fuse every possible combination of cards together to see what it creates. Many of the fusions you try will be useless. In such a case, only the second card will remain. The computer, however, knows every fusion there is in its deck so it will never waste cards.

This is easily the worst part of the game. You are not hinted at what monsters can be fused to make other monsters. The only reasonable way that doesn't involve straight-up looking online is take 1 card, fuse it against the other 39 cards in your deck, see what happens. Then, take the second card, fuse it against the other 38 cards in your deck, see what happens. Then, take the 3rd card, fuse it against the other 37 cards in your deck, see what happens, repeat ad nauseum.

...Words fail me. This... This is... This is terrible. Just... I don't know what to say.

Monsters that are born thru Fusion like the computer's Mystical Elf can still be fused to potentially make stronger (or sometimes weaker, depending on the combination!) creatures, so keep fusing! I sincerly hope you have a high threshold for tedium.

I just so happen to fuse random monsters and got a result! Not pictured: savestating a bunch of times to try every possible combination I had in my mind.

There are, of course, many monster cards that can be made via multiple fusions. And some of them even have very general requirements such as (Dragon with <1600 ATK + Thunder = Result). But that was only found out through extensive testing spanning hundreds of hours.

Remember, horizontal cards are in Defense position and the AI will not incur any Life Point loss even if it's destroyed.

Not that it matters since the fused warrior I just made doesn't have sufficient attack to break the defense. In fact, if I attacked with my Minomushi Warrior, I would lose 700 Life Points (2000 Defense - 1300 Attack). My monster would not be destroyed, however.

If this looks like a stalemate to you, then you already are well on your way to understanding the game.

Ah, I drew our first Magic Card. Magic Cards can be Equipped, or just used depending on the card.

This description is a bit non-specific, but this card boosts Dragon-types by 500 ATK/500 Def. Some boost by 1,000, but of course you'll have to try it out. You use Equip Magic Cards just like how you would fuse two monsters together, so don't waste these.

By which he means that the Equip Magic Card disappears after you use it.

Going back to my field, we can see that the computer set down another monster in Facedown Defense Position in-between the screenshots. The red text means that the monster being attacked will gain 500 Defense if I decide to pick a fight. The reason its Defense is obviously because the monster is defending.

Even with the 500 Def. boost, my monster easily clears it out. Still, until I can somehow beat that Mystical Elf, I won't win like this.

Those of you who played the official card game might be scratching your head right now. You see, guys, in this game, there are no Monster Effects. For those of you who never played Yu-Gi-Oh!, much like magic and traps, monsters, too, can have their very own special effects that change the dynamic of a match. Nope, none of that here! Either your monster's attack is high enough or its absolute garbage! No strategic diversity here!

What's that you say? You played a monster with 2,900 ATK but your opponent played one with 3,000? Do you have a way to boost your monster's attack, or otherwise use a trap to neutralize the threat? No? YOU LOSE, rear end in a top hat!

Since you can only play 1 card per turn and because your hand maxes at 5 cards, the moment your opponent starts getting an edge with a high power monster is the moment where everything goes to poo poo. You can't fight back unless you pull a Fusion out of your rear end! It makes for very barebones, very thin gameplay.

Even this early on in the TCG's infancy, there were ways to get around high powered monsters. Not very many, but at least it was there. That's far more counterplay than what exists here. I get that they wanted to be simple, but the simplicity really hurt it here. Most of the cards in this game may as well not exist. Once you find that one really strong attack card, everything else falls by the wayside.

If I'm recalling my Yugioh lore correctly (oh god is that a sentence I really just typed?) this game was designed to mimic how the original design for the card game worked. You can kinda see it in how Fusion worked, and the whole trump system - it's vaguely similar to how things worked the first season or so of the show.

That being said, loving hell this frustrates the crap out of me. Yugioh wasn't exactly the most balanced game in the first place, but this just completely removes any and all challenge to it. Do you know a good fusion? Did you draw it turn one? Well good job, you've basically won. There's no Sacrificing monsters, there's no real way to implement tactics with your Trap cards (because oh yeah, THEY activate as soon as something fits the requirements. No waiting on your Trap Hole in case they're baiting it with a weak monster to put down a 3000 ATK monster next turn.)... It's Yugioh in name only, basically.

Let's fuse these two monsters and see what we get. Did you guys know that Yu-Gi-Oh! is a box of chocolates? You'll never know what you're gonna get unless you open it up!

Oh, I made a monster with 1,400 ATK. Boo.

I'm gonna put my weak Kuriboh into Attack position to coax the AI into attacking it. Maybe do SOMETHING to break this stalemate.

The problem with stalemates in this game is that you always draw first - so you almost always run out of cards first.

The computer summoned a Tomozaurus and took out my Kuroboh, leaving me with 7,800 Life Points. But, since the computer is very stupid this early in the game, I can now have my Lord of the Lamp kill the new monster. That should deal 900 Life Points worth of damage to the oppoent.

But if I press the square button when declaring an attack...

...we get taken to a 3D arena. No, I'm not kidding.

Which is pretty neat, though. You have to admit that at least.

There's our monster. This little cutscene thing will work for every monster in the game. There are actually about 650 monster cards and the developers made attack animations and models for all of them.

...I mean, I'll commend them for the effort, but I'd much rather that effort going into the core gameplay. All in due time, but we'll be dissecting more problems over the course of the LP.

It looks okay (if aged) but is functionally useless and is largely a waste of time.

So basically Giver in a nutshell :v:

Rekt.

Quite a number of turns go by, and all of the cards in our deck are weaksauce, so I'm no closer to breaking this stalemate.

Oh, our first Dragon monster! That will work with our Dragon Treasure Magic card (which you can see has been placed on the lower row on the field).

I must have savestatted over 100 times trying to find the right combinations. This game.

Cripes. This is terrible.

Nice. But drat, only 1,600 attack huh?

Now if you remember the chart, Mercury beats Sun, which is Mystical Elf's alignment, so, that means we'll get a 500 ATK boost when we decide to fight her.

Rather convenient.

DIE BITCH :fuckoff:

With this, I'm easily able to destroy all of the AI's remaining monsters and eventually...

...I was able to attack my opponent's Life Points directly. After the first turn by the player, if there are no monsters for your opponent on the field, you're free to attack him/her directly, dealing significant damage. You can see my opponent's Life Points went down to 3,400 since the last turn.

Because while you can only play one card a turn, you can attack with every monster every turn. Hooray for small mercies, I suppose.

See this Mechanical Spider? Let's fuse him to our Spiked Seadra.

Bam, something a little stronger. Fuse monsters to make fused monsters that can be fused to make stronger fused monsters. But make sure you fuse the right monsters, or you'll probably lose the game! :v:

What's that? You didn't know that you could randomly fuse those two cards? Well 'HAHAHA gently caress you,' the game says.

I don't like this game already.

Now, we use our Dragon Treasure to boost our new monster's Attack and defense.

Most of the cards I've been putting down have had around 800 or less attack. That's pretty much our entire card deck this early. The only way to see anything resembling respectable damage is -- you guessed it -- random-rear end fusions!

:toot:

Hooray we won :woop:

We got something called C-POW. We'll be talking about that when it's time. Two shiny stars are now added to our inventory as well as something called "Monster Eye." It's a weak card, nothing to explain. The stars actually involve something that you folks in the thread can participate in!

We saw Monster Eye in the duel, actually! It looks dumb.

The highest rank is S, and there is an exploitable formula that we can use to get it. S-ranks mean far better Monster and Magic/Trap drops as well as more Star points.

Of course, we don't have the cards to consistently get an S-rank at this point in time.

Oh god, another game with S-ranks. Gonna pull bullshit command codes out here too?

This is a Card shop where we can edit our deck. There are actually some other stuff we can do on the Title Screen now that we have a save file. More on that later.

I don't know what it is, but that dude's face throws me. Maybe it's the eyes? Or maybe it's the way his mustache looks like he's frowning.

Our trunk. Right now, we only have the Monster Eye we picked up. You can naturally sort this.

And our deck. As you can see, our deck is pretty scrub-tier. GeneralYeti should feel right at home with it.

Bite me, jackass.

When you start the game, your deck will randomly have a few different magic cards.

This is probably our most powerful card right now. It will destroy EVERY card including Magic and Traps. I suppose it's good if you're feeling overwhelmed.

In the original game, it's only Monsters. Still, I'm not saying no to MORE POWER

And this is a field magic spell. Pretty self-explanatory, but the monsters that are affected by this card get about a 20% boost to their attack and defense.

And now, thread, I will leave you guys with this screen. This sums up what I felt the moment I revisited this game after about 12 years.

Have you ever had that strange nostalgia for a game, then start playing it again and go 'Oh, right, that's why I stopped playing, it's poo poo.'? That's this game.

:siren: Do you have any old Yu-Gi-Oh! cards? I need them. Your LPer needs them. Write down the serial number of the card and the name of it in a reply and I will be inputting that information into the game. Once I do, I can put those into my deck to make it far less lovely than what I have now.

Gimme your 5 best cards. It must be a really old card. I'm talking Season 1 of Yu-Gi-Oh old. I'm talking Dark Magician Era-old. Blue-Eyes White Dragon. Harpie's Lady. That old. First come, first serve, guys. So if someone else in the thread enters Blue-Eyes White Dragon, you can't enter yours. If you make a post with card numbers, and have to edit it later, please specify what you edited so I can track who put in what.

We'll be keeping a running list, so if you accidentally post a repeat off with your head don't worry about it too much.

As for me, I used to collect a while back, and I still have some of my old cards, so I'll start us off with 15025844.

It's Mystical Elf :v:

The more cards, the better, as I'll probably switch cards in and out a lot. I don't care if it has 400 ATK. Gimme.

Also, if you want, you can name our protagonist. :shobon: I personally don't care what names you guys give.

General rules apply for names - character limit of 6, no overly ridiculous stuff like Dongs or Balls. That being said, this game deserves no dignity.

Welcome to the trainwreck in slow motion that is this game, I guess. Next time we get to actual plot. I think.

giver336 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 14, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Forbidden Memories! I had this game as a kid. I learned a lot of cool fusions. I still lost, repeatedly, because this game is a massive pile of poo poo with insane difficulty spikes that it does absolutely nothing to prepare you for, and I'm not giving any card because I feel giver will just use that to skip said spikes.

And this is a card game anime game, so clearly we must name our character after the protagonist: Aichi :v:.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Thunder dragon - 31786629
Witch's Apprentice - 80741828
Blue Eyes White Dragon - 89631139
Mirror Force - 44095762
Raigeki - 12580477

Let's run this right into the ground. :getin:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
This game is grindy and terrible if tackled face-on, and your only hope is to game the system as hard as you possibly can. :eng101: It also has some characters that only ever really pop up again in side games like Falsebound Kingdom and that war of the roses game.

Sadly, I have no actual cards to offer.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
That RPS-style icons makes me think of the attribute system in The Sacred Cards, what's with the RPS love in the games? Thankfully the real game doesn't pull that crap, it's complicated enough as it is.

I do expect some sort of losing streak with this weird rule set. Aichi you are!

36304921 - Witty Phantom
32452818 - Beaver Warrior
97590747 - La Jinn the Mystical Genie of the Lamp
31122090 - Gyakutenno Megami
Why the gently caress does Suijin not have a code number 70781052 - Summoned Skull

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Its called forbidden memories because everyone who's ever owned this game doesnt want to reminded of it.

I got this game as a christmas gift one year. I think i made it a few matches in only to get stonewalled at one by a bullshit card. After several long grind sessions, and looking up stuff online i finally figured out how to stop it...only for the same exact card to be played the next turn. I blame this game for making me never want to play a yugioh video game ever again.

I'd be more then happy to offer my cards....If I had any memory of where the hell I put them. No wait found some cards:

Dragon Zombie: 66672569 ( recall this one being good for fusions)
Gaia the Firce Knight: 06368038
The Rock Spirit: 76305638
Labyrinth Wall: 67284908 (one of my copies of this had no number on it)
Curse of Dragon: 28279543

Man I forgot How great the card art for a lot of these are, monster reborn and change of heart are still two of my favorite cards.

Edit: Stupid same name cards. Well then, have this for maximum tanking.
Horn of Light: 38552107

Tengames fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 15, 2016

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Wow, this game looks like a mess. I'll be following this, I guess. Don't have too many old cards and people have already called La Jinn and Blue Eyes so...

Axe Raider - 48305365
Battle Ox - 05053103
Judge Man - 30113682
Rude Kaiser - 26378150
Peacock - 20624263

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Again, gently caress this game. but I can add to the codes

Harpy Lady: 76812113
Dark Magician:46986414
Monster Reborn: 83764718
Barrel Dragon: 81480460
Red Eyes Black Dragon:74677422

Cards I would have thrown up but have no numbers:
Black Skull Dragon
Thousand Dragon
Serpant Night Dragon

I have Blue-eyes ultimate dragon but I don't think the number would activate in this game.

EDIT: also fun fact: This was the only game to detect I had a modded PS1 and wouldn't play on it.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 14, 2016

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
Man. I had this game as a kid. I played the hell out of it, but even as a dumb child, I realized this game was not good. It's just so unfair. It'll be interesting to eventually actually see an ending.

I can still remember the fusion combo that carried me through as much of the game as I was able to finish.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost
I rooted around in my old Yu-Gi-Oh/Pokemon card cabinet just for you, Giver. So have my top five from my childhood:

Right Leg of the Forbidden One - 08124921
Left Leg of the Forbidden One - 44519536
Right Arm of the Forbidden One - 70903634
Left Arm of the Forbidden One - 07902349
Exodia the Forbidden One - 33396948

Provided those work, I vote we name our duelist Shibbo due to my contributions. :colbert: I even had an Obelisk the Tormentor and Destiny Board in this deck. And Tornado Wall. Just all sorts of chaotic fun from the mind of a 12-year-old. I'd love to say I've gotten better at deckbuilding since my youth but that's a godddamn lie.

This game looks awful, I loved how you two handled Megaman, I look forward to seeing y'all gradually break this game over your knee.

shibbotech fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 14, 2016

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Blue-Eyes works in this game, but the number of stars you need to spend to get it is absurd. If you have the patience, it's a great card because if you draw it, you can play it. Otherwise, that one fusion is pretty much the only thing worth playing in the early game, and then it stops being useful at all. That's as far as I ever got in this, and I'm surprised I bothered for that long. I kept hoping something would make the game worth the effort.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Ah, this game. The fusion mechanics were at least a neat idea. No need for that stinking Polymerization card. This game has a way more fun sequel on the PS2 called Duelist of the Roses, any plans to play that, Giver?

Anyhow, there is only one card you need in this game:

Kattapillar - 81179446

...But here's four more just in case:

Pumpking the King of Ghosts - 29155212
Dark Rabbit - 99261403
Parrot Dragon - 62762898
Bickuribox - 25655502

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Holy poo poo. I was literally about to let's play this but I gave up because it was too much. Good luck man.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

giver336 posted:

You'll usually get one Star from each of the two cycles - one of the Magic alignments (the top cycle, Sun/Moon/Venus/Mercury) and one of the Elemental alignments (the bottom cycle, Mars/Jupiter/Saturn/Uranus/Pluto/Neptune). There are a few that don't follow the general rule, but exceptions prove the rule as they say.

There's no real good mnemonics to remember these trumps, but they're fairly straightforward. The top cycle is only four elements, so c'mon now. The bottom cycle, for what it's worth, goes in order from closest to Earth -> furthest from Earth, with Pluto and Neptune swapped for whatever reason.

:eng101: That's because in 1999 Pluto was closer than Neptune!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Well this looks just poo poo. Would you believe the Fusion mechanic wasn't thrown into the nearest incinerator as soon as possible? There's a PS2 game, War of the Roses, that also had it. It did have deeper gameplay at least (turn based strategy of all things :psyduck:). It was actually kind of fun, at least looking back with the most rose-tinted of glasses.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gonna go with two of my faves:

DOKURORIDER - 99721536
HUNGRY BURGER - 30243636

Honorary mentions:
Giltia the D. Knight - 51828629
and his
Little D - 42625254

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 14, 2016

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Let's look through the one deck I have and the Shonen Jump cards I got, to see if anything would work.

The fifth card was elemental hero Wildheart. I have a bad feeling about this.

Oh wait, here's a card that has a password that might work:

Polymerization - 24094653

Would that even do anything in this game?

As for a name Giver. Make this game fear your name.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Skull Servant 32274490

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Most of my cards are not 1st edition old. I got stuff mostly from the future games. Hell, some of my cards aren't even in the DS games.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 14, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

This game deserves no dignity, you say? I vote for Koichi as our protagonist name, then! I'll see if I can dig up any old cards I had later.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

This will be interesting. I used to love/hate this game as a kid, and I never did see it through to the end because of those difficulty spikes. I've got a bunch of cards I could probably dig out to supply codes for later too.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

Well this looks just poo poo. Would you believe the Fusion mechanic wasn't thrown into the nearest incinerator as soon as possible? There's a PS2 game, War of the Roses, that also had it. It did have deeper gameplay at least (turn based strategy of all things :psyduck:). It was actually kind of fun, at least looking back with the most rose-tinted of glasses.

The greatest pun ever written.

But seriously Duelist of the Roses is an amazing game. Mostly due to there being actual effect monsters that you can even fuse into. It's kinda sad we have a modding community for FM (it's mostly balance patches) and not DOTR instead.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Goddamn it that wasn't even intentional. :cripes:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I still have a copy of this. I remember getting it, thinking it'd be just like the actual card game. I wound up putting far more playtime into it than is probably healthy. I will say though, that the training battle theme (you can fight already beaten opponents to test decks and grind star chips) is fantastic and probably the best thing about the game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

AlphaKretin posted:

Goddamn it that wasn't even intentional. :cripes:

DOTR was great, I actually used the very few bits of history it taught me in class when I was a kid. And I got top marks too.

It was also just really cool to have a whole battlefield.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
If I find a problem, just edit the offending ones out.. Then, you can add any/all replacements at the bottom. Mostly so when I do a final tally of the current submissions, I can easily post this up for final verification.

Tengames posted:

The Rock Spirit: 76305638

"The Rock Spirit" is not a card in this game, however, "Rock Spirit" is. It confuses me too.

mateo360 posted:

Monster Reborn: 83764718
Barrel Dragon: 81480460

These two aren't in the game. Nope. Not even Monster Reborn. :geno:

shibbotech posted:

Exodia pieces

What have you done!? No one spoil the plot twist, please. :negative:

I'm taking all four of these if you want :v:

BlazeEmblem posted:

Polymerization - 24094653

Would that even do anything in this game?

Nope. Doesn't exist.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Man, y'all don't know anything about YGO games that have gently caress all to do with the real rules. At least this one resembles a card game for the most part. :colbert:

Otherwise this is gonna be good because this game is a hosed up mess and if I was home I would toss up a few of my old card.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Yeah OK but when do you fight BassBS, huh?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Artix posted:

Man, y'all don't know anything about YGO games that have gently caress all to do with the real rules. At least this one resembles a card game for the most part. :colbert:
I'd argue that we chose the less painful option though. :v:

But yes, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this one goes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Ooh, this is actually the exact same system used for Dark Duel Stories for the GBC. If I ever get around to LPing that, I wonder if the monster fusion lists are the same, or if they really went through with making two, separate, unique arbitrary monster fusion lists.

Neo The Magic Swordsman 50930991
Silver Fang 90357090
Celtic Guardian 91152256
Feral Imp 41392891
Flame Swordsman 45231177

Also one that I don't actually know if it will work, but DDS had a great card with the same name, at least, so :shrug:

Widespread Ruin 77754944

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 14, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Ooh, this is actually the exact same system used for Dark Duel Stories for the GBC. If I ever get around to LPing that, I wonder if the monster fusion lists are the same, or if they really went through with making two, separate, unique arbitrary monster fusion lists.

Silver Fang 90357090
Celtic Guardian 91152256
Feral Imp 41392891
Flame Swordsman 45231177

Also one that I don't actually know if it will work, but DDS had a great card with the same name, at least, so :shrug:

Widespread Ruin 77754944

It's not quite DDS's system, DDS had a simpler elemental system that didn't require you to pick a sign for your monster and also let loving Kuriboh destroy a Blue-Eyes White Dragon. There was also no Magic/Trap card zone in DDS, if I remember right. I do see where you're coming from though, when I saw the gameplay, the first thing I thought of was Sacred Cards/Reshef of Destruction, which were most likely built off DDS's systems. I wouldn't doubt this game was too.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Fun fact: This system was based off the PROTO rules to the YGO card game that we know today. The only reason it made it stateside was because Konazi wanted some more money from our unexpecting pockets since the card game (And anime) were new in the states. Also, here's a few cards for y'all. I know exactly how this game works and what those stars are for, and holy gently caress this was a source of pain, suffering and mutilation for EVERYONE who played the game back then and didn't have a cheating device. But I'll let Giver and Yetti explain it when they get to it...I had this game as a kid and couldn't beat anyone past the first part of the game :negative:

Dian Keito the Cure Master- 84257639
Swords of Revealing Light- 72302403
Black Skull Dragon- 11901678
Prevent Rat- 00549481
Millennium Shield- 32012841

NO MERCY FOR THIS GAME, FOR IT SHOWS NONE IN RETURN

Why yes I AM still bitter at this game, why do you ask? :colbert:

Kemix fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 14, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

giver336 posted:

I'm taking all four of these if you want :v:

Id have thrown in the Lord of D. But I had the initiative to check and hes not.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

...I see this is back in the era where the games didn't follow the rules, at all. One card a turn? Yeah, that'd take forever.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Labyrinth Wall 67284908
Trap Hole 04206964
7 Colored Fish 23771716 (I remember this guy was pretty good because he had high attack and you didn't need to sacrifice to summon him)
Giant Soldier of Stone 13039848
Pot of Greed 55144522

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 14, 2016

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

Poison Mushroom posted:

Neo the Magic Swordsman is not in this game, unfortunately. I'll just sub that with Widespread Ruin since it's actually in this game.

Kemix posted:

Blue Eyes White Dragon- 89631139 :getin:
Red Eyes Black Dragon- 74677422

Already been submitted. Sorry if I was unclear, but you can only enter in serials once in the game, so it'd just be a waste of an entry.

Here's a pastebin of what's been currently submitted. If all your cards aren't there, then I probably elaborated earlier as to why they aren't there. But you can probably assume it's just not in the game. If any of you want to make edits, just edit the post that contains your serials.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I bet Pot of Greed doesn't exist in this game, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

giver336 posted:

Already been submitted. Sorry if I was unclear, but you can only enter in serials once in the game, so it'd just be a waste of an entry.

Whoops. Thought it hadn't been submitted. Edited my post

EDIT

Tunicate posted:

I bet Pot of Greed doesn't exist in this game, right?

YGO wiki card list for the game points to "no"

Kemix fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 14, 2016

• Locked thread