Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

This is probably the most consistent package Netflix has put out yet, never really any big lull episodes and every ep is exactly as long as it needs to be, so is the season. It hit every one of my buttons in just the exact way I hoped and the ending was perfect in terms of wrapping up what i wanted wrapped up and bread crumbs left for s2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Zaggitz posted:

This is probably the most consistent package Netflix has put out yet, never really any big lull episodes and every ep is exactly as long as it needs to be, so is the season. It hit every one of my buttons in just the exact way I hoped and the ending was perfect in terms of wrapping up what i wanted wrapped up and bread crumbs left for s2.

With Netflix's auto-skip end credits, and the fact that each episode has a 4-5 minute cold opening (followed by a wonderful intro), it's hard to even know when an episode ends and the next begins.

Also I have to say the police chief is the best character, solving the mystery one heavy punch at a time.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
This show is exactly like if Stephen King wrote Silent Hill and then Steven Spielberg directed the mini-series adaptation. Exactly.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Phylodox posted:

This show is exactly like if Stephen King wrote Silent Hill and then Steven Spielberg directed the mini-series adaptation. Exactly.

and then they got John Carpenter to do the soundtrack.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

hemophilia posted:

This is the best thing Netflix has ever produced, I think. That's a fairly low bar but It's ridiculously good.

Lady Dynamite and WHAS First Day of Camp are the only two above it and that bar is high as gently caress :colbert:

i generally resent 80s nostalgia-based media for being overly forgiving and downright theme-party-festishistic. This show is as authentic as it gets, and is also compelling and ridiculously-well-photographed. I'm not sure if I'm going to sleep tonight or watch the whole season.

For reference I'm partway through E02.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

This kind of reminds me of The Gate from 1987, although it doesn't get as crazy as that film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOX6-Rw5PWc

Episode 8
While I largely enjoyed the series, the bad guys were a bit too cartoonish for my taste. The violence was also pretty horrific for something that takes so many cues from E.T. Especially the death of Nancy's friend and the way they made a point of showing her corpse a second time in the finale was rather disturbing. Other than that, I didn't really like that everyone did their best to return back to status quo by the end. It leaves me feeling like the whole thing is going in circles. If there was a second season, I'd not want to see the same love triangle and the same bad guys again.

And More fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 16, 2016

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Just finished it. On the whole, it was really good stuff!

There's only a couple sour notes I can think of. The first is Barbara; it felt a little off-tone for the show to give a casually cruel death to a basically decent/innocent character, and then on top of that they kept pulling these jerkaround teases about whether she might live. The other is that i think Jonathan got too much of a pass for being an absolute creepazoid with his camera.

Other than that, the stylistic mimicry was spot-on without feeling hollow, the non-teen characters were extremely endearing, and the supernatural elements were played perfectly. The first time you see the portal to the upside-down is a fantastic early moment that signals how confident the show is about diving deep into eldritch weirdness.

I think I'd prefer a second season to take an anthology approach and tell a new story. The final stinger doesn't really need a follow-up; it looks like Will's going to become an upside-down monster himself, and that's a story better left in the viewer's imagination than told in a sequel.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Lady Dynamite and WHAS First Day of Camp are the only two above it and that bar is high as gently caress :colbert:

i generally resent 80s nostalgia-based media for being overly forgiving and downright theme-party-festishistic. This show is as authentic as it gets, and is also compelling and ridiculously-well-photographed. I'm not sure if I'm going to sleep tonight or watch the whole season.

For reference I'm partway through E02.

i guess i shouldn't have spoken in absolutes when we're talking about netflix, and differing tastes and all, but to me those shows are way below the bar this sets. bojack is the only one near it to me.

Otherwise i agree with your assessment (except when it comes to music, serenade me with the nostalgic falsely remembered sounds of the 80s all day please), like I didn't know what Fuller House was for or who it was for, I couldn't find a man or lady who liked the show that wasn't older than gen x.

Supercar Gautier posted:

There's only a couple sour notes I can think of. The first is Barbara; it felt a little off-tone for the show to give a casually cruel death to a basically decent/innocent character, and then on top of that they kept pulling these jerkaround teases about whether she might live. The other is that i think Jonathan got too much of a pass for being an absolute creepazoid with his camera.

Other than that, the stylistic mimicry was spot-on without feeling hollow, the non-teen characters were extremely endearing, and the supernatural elements were played perfectly. The first time you see the portal to the upside-down is a fantastic early moment that signals how confident the show is about diving deep into eldritch weirdness.

I think I'd prefer a second season to take an anthology approach and tell a new story. The final stinger doesn't really need a follow-up; it looks like Will's going to become an upside-down monster himself, and that's a story better left in the viewer's imagination than told in a sequel.

Barbchat: I think Barb's fate was cruel like you say, but I don't think there were any real teases about her survival. The second she ends up on the other side, she is pursued, and caught.

by the time you saw the monsters eating the flesh of things it should've been all but certain, nancy was tortured about her fate, and everyone else was hopeful due to will, but the audience should've been party to the truth from the beginning.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 16, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Watched the first episode. So far I like the soundtrack. Even though I wasn't alive in at that time, I'm a total sucker for 80s music.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Really enjoyed this short series. Totally agree with Poor Barb getting killed.

So is Will full of devil snakes or is turning into a monster? I thought that because he spent so long in the underworld, (which they said was toxic) he was basically going to die soon.

The 80s synth was also amazing. If they get a season 2, I want more Goonies action.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
Just finished the last episode. I thought for a second season it'd be cool if it was set in the present day with the kids grown up, like in IT.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't think Will is becoming an Upside-Downizen. The one we saw only seemed to be able to tunnel through dimensions via physical objects, while Will seems to be able to flip by himself. I think he's becoming some sort of hybrid, maybe. Either way, I'm not sure how I felt about that ending. I was hoping they'd be able to end the season without a twist like that. Just, y'know, let it be a relatively happy ending. That probably speaks positively towards the show's writing, that it made me care enough about all the characters that I wanted them all to be happy.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
There were cell phone antennas on the water tank in the opening shot of the school this series is really bad and unrealistic accordingly

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Loving the music in this. It does quite a good job of capturing 80's suburbia.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Really enjoyed the series, and I hope they continue to do standalone stories of this nature. I don't particularly want them to revisit these characters in any meaningful way - everyone received a solid wrap-up, and the mysteries left hanging are more thought-provoking than frustrating.

All of the child actors were very genuine, and Dustin/Toothless definitely stood out as a favorite. Also, place me firmly into Team Steve.

Some assorted thoughts:
- Barb was maybe a bit cruel, but I don't felt the show was misleading about her fate. The amount of grief shown towards her was maybe a bit light though, but I'm not sure what it would've added to the storytelling.
- El had a lot left open to interpretation. Did the monster exist because of her, as her reflection in the upside-down? Or did she simply stumble upon some demons in her dimensional jaunt?
- Will initially seemed like he had some PTSD, but after rewatching the scene, it implies he has newfound powers. The lights flicker the same as they do for the monster/011.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Finished ep 6. Loving the gently caress out of this show.

Nice to read it ends strong.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Just watched the first two episodes, I'm really liking the series. Why do I have to go out today :negative: I'll finish this tomorrow

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Aww man what an amazing series. I could watch that intro for days, and there is nothing to it, just some outlines and amazing music. The entire series had amazing music choices, whether it was a song or the score itself. Whoever these Duffer Brothers are they did a great job.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
Just finished it. It was very good. The atmosphere, music and pacing really was the key for me. If they have a 2nd season great, if they don't I'd be cool with that too.

Only one thing threw me out of the show for a bit and it entirely wasn't the shows fault. The song during Will's funeral kept making me think about this https://youtu.be/GJVxPAiB7as. "11? A WEAPON TO SURPASS METAL GEAR?!?!?!"

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Hallebarrysoetoro hot takes after finishing the series:

Did Steve grow up to be Jean Ralphio?

Totally diving into the 80s unrelentingly with a Carpenter vibe works so well

Finally putting some of the aspects of the whole Montauk Project conspiracy theories to film/TV was pretty drat awesome

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
^ Steve is very much a tiny Jean Ralphio doppelganger, glad it wasn't just me.

I loved this show so so much, binge watched the entire thing last night. The first episode's introductory D&D scene gave a great glimpse at who the kids would be throughout the show. Mike was the DM controlling the action, so we know he's going to be in the thick of things especially with corralling Eleven. Dustin (the best character) was the defensive/worrying one, wanting Will to protect the D&D party in the face of danger, and did his best to keep the group from splitting up throughout the season. Lucas is the assertive one who wanted to blast the D&D monsters with fire, and went out to take action as his badass lone wolf self later in the series before reuniting with the group. Will is faced with impending D&D monsters, and is caught in indecisive limbo as a clear foreshadowing of being caught in the Upside-Down. Have I said I loving love this show?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

bring back old gbs posted:

Aww man what an amazing series. I could watch that intro for days, and there is nothing to it, just some outlines and amazing music. The entire series had amazing music choices, whether it was a song or the score itself. Whoever these Duffer Brothers are they did a great job.

This show now challenges True Detective for best intro, and I think this wins because 80s synth sounds are the best.

hxcorpse posted:

^ Steve is very much a tiny Jean Ralphio doppelganger, glad it wasn't just me.

Me as well. I was so worried he was just going to get eaten since he was all bloody, kinda liked his redemption at the end as cliché as it felt.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I also just finished the last episode. The show is definitely good, but there are a couple of things, most already mentioned in this thread, that take it more to a B or B- in my eyes.
One thing where I think they dropped the ball:
I think the monster design was poo poo, and the CGI for it was very, very bad. So bad that it really took me out of it, and in the last episode it even kinda destroyed the 80s vibe of the whole show for me. Considering the monster's barely seen until the last episode, and doesn't do THAT much in a physical sense, I kinda think a practical approach would have made more sense here. And would have been more in line with the show's influences as well.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Just finished episode 2 and really loving it so far. Then again, I love light horror and 80s nostalgia and synth so this is basically a show pandering directly to me.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Anybody else's jaw drop during (episode 8) the slow overhead pan of the bloody bodies, after Will realizes that El's head-squeezing party just led the monster right to them?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Just finished the show. Netflix has another hit in my opinion. Such a perfect emulation of tone, genre, and setting. The use of 80s music, paraphernalia, clothes, etc. creates an excellent sense of place and time. The music was fantastic and the monster was creepy as hell. I can't help but feel like these guys owe Stephen King and Spielberg some money.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Serf posted:

Just finished the show. Netflix has another hit in my opinion. Such a perfect emulation of tone, genre, and setting. The use of 80s music, paraphernalia, clothes, etc. creates an excellent sense of place and time. The music was fantastic and the monster was creepy as hell. I can't help but feel like these guys owe Stephen King and Spielberg some money.

I'd pay money to be in a theater with Stephen King marathoning all eight hours of this. Even though it kind of put me off, I think he'd give the opening of episode 3 a standing ovation.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

I'd pay money to be in a theater with Stephen King marathoning all eight hours of this. Even though it kind of put me off, I think he'd give the opening of episode 3 a standing ovation.

I'm legit curious to see his reaction to this show as a whole. All I found was this tweet which seems to indicate approval: https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/752644182251044864

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

After finishing the entire thing, I liked it on the whole but I had some problems with it.

The series walked the line between annoying "hey, remember the 1980's?" nudging the viewer in the ribs and utilizing its influences well. For example, every character seemed to be a movie buff with film posters on their wall. And the pop culture references were generally eyerolling. OTOH, there was a lot of stuff that was worked in smoothly and faded into the background.

I think the show turned out to be a bit too meandering for its own good, padded for the length of the series. It would have been a better two hour movie that focused on one plotline.

Some really loose spoilers here: I think the show would have been improved with a bit more of a threat from the monster and less of a threat from the human enemies. I was kind of wishing that they were were just trying to contain a bad situation rather than be Yet Another Evil Secret Government Agency (or YAESGA as they're known in congressional appropriations bills). A couple more monster attacks spread through the series to emphasize how bad things were getting would have been nice for the mood of the show.

But hey, the kid actors were generally good. The series captured the tone of eighties movies just right without becoming a boring knock off of them, and I liked where it ended. I don't know if I need another season, but I'm not going to complain if it comes around.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I love the soundtrack, it's very retro futuristic. It also really reminds me of Refn's Drive .

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

There are too many call-outs to King's work for there not to have been some communication between the producers of this show and him - I'm thinking in particular of a number of fairly explicit call-outs to It (including the rocks/slingshot - that was definitely a reference to the silver slugs and slingshot that the kids use against Pennywise. In addition, my memory is hazy but I think the kids in It called themselves the "Losers Club", and the kids here also refer to themselves as Losers on a couple of occasions). Hell, the font used for the episode titles and the audio stinger that accompanies it are straight out of the It and Stand mini-series.

Anyway, I'm guessing King is a fan. This show delights in playing in his garden.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

DarkLich posted:

- El had a lot left open to interpretation. Did the monster exist because of her, as her reflection in the upside-down? Or did she simply stumble upon some demons in her dimensional jaunt?

Theory on her: The Montauk Project conspiracy had people traveling in time or dimensions like that and one of the people ended up conjuring a monster out of thin air. The story borrows fairly heavily with Montauk conspiracies, especially Phoenix/Phoenix II. The theory even had telekinetic assassins and reading people's minds from afar just like was shown. That was always my favorite shithouse crazy sci-fi theory and I love that this show touched on it

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Three episodes to go, great show so far. Feels like IT, Firestarter, ET, and even a bit of the kids from Goonies, all thrown into a blender. And like a few people said, drat, Winona Ryder...

If they stick the landing it will easily be my favorite netflix original.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Four episodes in, myself. This show is absolutely amazing. Great acting out of David Harbour, El, and Winona Ryder.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Supercar Gautier posted:

There's only a couple sour notes I can think of. The first is Barbara; it felt a little off-tone for the show to give a casually cruel death to a basically decent/innocent character

Really? I think that tone had already been established by nice guy Benny getting casually popped in the head in the first episode. I was actually kind of surprised by the lack of protagonist deaths in the rest of the season after he and Barb both died early on.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hilario Baldness posted:

I love the soundtrack, it's very retro futuristic. It also really reminds me of Refn's Drive .

I had to look it up because I was so sure it was done by the guy who scored It Follows. Nope, but they're obviously both inspired by the same John Carpenter 80s horror synth sources.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Just finished episode 8, a fantastic series all around. I kinda hope they don't do a sequel, I really enjoyed the way the kids, the teens, and the adults had their own plots and goals that didn't really intersect until the end, I feel like aging up would mess with the dynamic a bit.

Phylodox posted:

I don't think Will is becoming an Upside-Downizen. The one we saw only seemed to be able to tunnel through dimensions via physical objects, while Will seems to be able to flip by himself. I think he's becoming some sort of hybrid, maybe. Either way, I'm not sure how I felt about that ending. I was hoping they'd be able to end the season without a twist like that. Just, y'know, let it be a relatively happy ending. That probably speaks positively towards the show's writing, that it made me care enough about all the characters that I wanted them all to be happy.

Same. As the ending approached, I was dreading that thing horror movies do now where the threat just can't be over, and it delivered. That poor family has been through so much, just let them be happy. :(

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."

DarkLich posted:

Really enjoyed the series, and I hope they continue to do standalone stories of this nature. I don't particularly want them to revisit these characters in any meaningful way - everyone received a solid wrap-up, and the mysteries left hanging are more thought-provoking than frustrating.

I didn't even think about that, but yeah I'd love it if they treated it like American Horror Story. Mix up the actors, add some new ones, cut some for a season, but new stories. That'd be awesome.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Phylodox posted:

This is true and this show is prob one of my favorite series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Reason posted:

This is true and this show is prob one of my favorite series

This is hands down the best thing I think Netflix has done. The pacing, tone, writing, acting, directing, all of it was pitch perfect. It hit a build and a rhythm that matches King's best work. I want them to do another series, but maybe only loosely tied to this one. Other Strange things.

• Locked thread