Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meowtroid
Jul 5, 2016

The Meowtroid Prime

Hello everyone! Welcome to this massive undertaking, a Let's Play of Pathologic Classic HD. Hoo boy, where to even start with the history on this one?

Pathologic is a first person psychological and survival horror game released in 2005 in Russia, with an English version released in 2006, by Russian game developers Ice-Pick Lodge. Ice-Pick Lodge has since also been responsible for creating The Void (2009), Cargo! The Quest for Gravity (2011), and Knock-Knock (2013).

Pathologic is incredibly lore rich with a rather gruesome story about trying not only to survive, but to stop an outbreak of a ruthless plague that has infected a nameless town in the Russian steppe. The player plays as one of three protagonists (The Bachelor, The Haruspex, or The Changeling (previously known as the Devotress/Impostress)) through a roughly 20 to 30 hour campaign that involves micromanaging your own health as well as working with the other characters in town to try and save it.

In fall of 2014, Ice-Pick Lodge launched a Kickstarter campaign (their second one, after having successfully kickstarted and released Knock-Knock) to re-make the cult classic Pathologic. As their favorite and most famous project, but ultimately their first project, Ice-Pick Lodge wanted to take a second shot at developing the game from the ground up. The original was riddled with problems: outdated graphics, poor mechanics, numerous stability issues, and worst of all, an incredibly low quality English translation that made the narratively driven game nearly impossible to play.

The new Pathologic is slated to be released November of 2016, but will likely be delayed as they have met several of their stretch goals, which includes expanding the size and scope of the game world as well as adding new experimental gameplay elements. In the meantime, in the fall of 2015, Ice-Pick Lodge released Pathologic Classic HD on Steam. The game has been completely re-translated not only in English, but in Polish and Italian as well. Stability issues and numerous bugs have also been fixed, altogether making the game a bit more accessible to newcomers.

art by polymental

This will be a Let's Play of the Haruspex's campaign. Why the Haruspex specifically? Artemy Burakh, the Haruspex, is my favorite character in the game, and I'm most confident in portraying his narrative as one of my first endeavors. I'm hoping that this LP will provide a unique take on the character and the LP format. There will be gameplay commentary sparsely interspersed with the narrative to give an idea of what is being done by the player as well, a stylistic choice that woodenchicken and HellishWhiskers refrained from in their Pathologic LPs. This will also be the Classic HD's translation, the more 'official' translation that Ice-Pick Lodge themselves felt more confident was closer to their vision of what the narrative should sound like.

**Please note that in spite of this, the new translation isn't perfect; I may occasionally amend some phrases given what I know from the original translation to provide either better wording or context to give its more full meaning, though for the most part this will be all transcription. Don't expect heavy editing of the original text to be done, but also don't expect a word-for-word perfect transcription of everything said.

Also note that if you are familiar with the game in its previous incarnations, many names of characters and places, and spellings of many names or certain words, have changed significantly. (For instance, the graveyard caretaker's name has changed from Laska to Grace.) Upon meeting a character whose name has changed significantly, I will make a note of the original name so that old fans will know precisely who is being introduced.

So how will this LP be conducted?

⦁ The game is split up across 12 days. One day is one chapter; each day will consist of multiple parts, and the amount of parts per day will depend on the length of the day. Also, at the end of each part there will be a list of characters who appeared in that part (a Dramatis Personae, if you will); if you ever get lost and need to refer back to who a character was, just scroll to the end and you'll find a handy list!

⦁ There will be probably zero interactivity with this LP. If you're familiar with the other two Pathologic LPs, you'll know that the story doesn't really branch and that while your choices are significant towards your survival, they hold little relevance towards the actual story.

⦁ Dialogue choices and the order of events will be conducted in a way I feel is most in-character for Artemy, while simultaneously showing off as much interesting lore and dialogue as I can.

⦁ This is a very text heavy game. Everything the characters say - with portraits beside their dialogue - is directly from conversations in game. Notes, letters, quests, etc. that are from in-game will be in block quotes. Following the tradition started by woodenchicken, any narrative I add myself to connect conversations and actions will be bolded; it will all be told in first person present tense.

⦁ Unlike the previous threads, I will be including some gameplay commentary interspersed with the narrative. While stylistically it made perfect sense for it to previously be left out in other threads, I feel like giving some idea as to the player's literal actions might give a more complete idea of what playing the game is like. I will be cutting out significant chunks of more repetitive gameplay, but it's important to me to show how the game is actually played since it's ruthlessly difficult and, in my opinion, somewhat narratively significant. Anything that is in Italics like this will be out of character gameplay commentary from myself.

⦁ This game is old, and several of you probably know quite a bit about it already! If you want to have discussions about the current chapter of the LP that involves spoilers from future chapters, :siren:PLEASE MARK YOUR SPOILERS!!:siren: Try to use your best judgment and refrain from having spoiler-heavy conversations - you can save those discussions for when that part of the LP actually comes up!

----

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

0. PROLOGUE
1. DAY ONE - part 1
2. DAY ONE - part 2
3. DAY ONE - part 3

meowtroid fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowtroid
Jul 5, 2016

The Meowtroid Prime
PROLOGUE

***CLIP 1: A LETTER AND A FUNERAL***

The game begins with an interesting spiel, a letter or note by a mysterious man commenting on the nature of the world we're about to enter. We are then subject to a strange cutscene involving four children ritualistically burying a patchwork doll, giving it some sort of funeral.

Once we choose a new game, we are greeted to a pantomime put on by our three protagonists: The Bachelor, The Haruspex, and The Changeling. They appear to be arguing about what is to be done with the town, making their own cases on how to save it. While our viewpoint is supposed to be restricted to this upper level, we can obviously get a better view with cheating magic.

: So, it's all about trickery to you? Wherever have you come from?

: No, no, I detest trickery, but if we ourselves are to suffer deception, our hands are no longer tied. ... Where are we?

: Well, the muscular contraction is there, means we're already inside of him. This must be one of the ventricles, right here.

: What a silly place. It's stuffed like a piece of taxidermy! So everything isn't real yet? That must mean it hasn't started.

: Does it matter what it's made of? It's definitely struggling. We need to perform sectio transversales - cut the wall. There's no other way out! What else is there to do?

: I know what needs to be done! Those who favor hard logic and direct action are bound to be misguided. Only a miracle can set us free without having to destroy something, and I can do miracles! Just let me.

: Will you please be quiet? You're a liar and a thief. Who's going to believe you when you keep lying even to yourself? The truth is my shepherd. Whatever happens, I will find answers and justice will be restored. I will perform the operation. Medicum morbo adhibere!

: Don't you go all bossy on me, clever cloaks! You will act justly, but your justice will blind you and become his demise. This calls for the gentle hand of a surgeon. Step aside, both of you!

: Your 'gentle hands' are more used to killing than giving life. You will inevitably do harm. As for brainy, he has no regard for casualties at all. Neither of you knows compassion!

: Yes... it seems unlikely that we'll get along well, but there's only one truth.

: Will is able to make any decision the right one, that's the truth of the matter.

: Only the heart will show you the right choice. Stop thinking about yourselves, think of the sick! He's in pain. I can't see it yet but I can feel it.

: It's not even a trap, it's a grave. Sub ipsum fumus sumus. Can't say I hold a soft spot for it.

: I can see that. You're full of hate. Stuffed or not, it's breathing. It can be healed, rather than killed.

: You mean you won't become a killer? But you will! Mark my words, that's exactly what will happen. But I can avoid it.

: No, we won't ever get along. I suggest we part ways - the sooner, the better.

: Off we go, then?

: Let's go. The clock is ticking.

We are greeted with a character select screen showing us three options. Well, actually two.

The game must be completed at least once before you unlock Clara, The Changeling's, campaign. Maybe some other time, Clara.

On the far left is The Bachelor, Daniil Dankovsky (pronounced Dan-EEL Dan-KOFF-skee - he's Polish). Note that in this case, Bachelor refers to his schooling, not his marital status - he is a Bachelor of Medicine. He's the one most often picked and suggested for a first playthrough, for several reasons. First of all, he's a handsome fellow and he's the first one listed. Secondly, his campaign is much easier to play than the Haruspex's. Thirdly, his perspective is that of an outsider coming to a foreign place and learning about it from the ground up - much like the player would be themselves. However, we'll leave young Daniil for another day.

This is our character of choice: The Haruspex, Artemy Burakh (pronounced arr-TEM-ee BOO-rock, with a rolled R in Burakh). He's the trickiest character to play. Not only is he a native to the town, and therefore his dialogue shows that he's more well aware of what's going on than the player might be, but his campaign is combat heavy, and he must make most of his own medicine to combat disease. His description reads as thus:

quote:

How do they call upon the menkhu, the faithful of a Warden Kin? Known by their hands, for they are butchers; known by their eyes, for they are surgeons; they who follow the lines; they who are leaders of the Kin; they who speak to udurghs; they who know the secret art of haruspicy. What is a haruspex? Reading the future of the entrails, he knows that a body bears semblance to the Universe. His scalpel follows the lines of the body; his steps follow the lines of his kin's fortune. A haruspex that can tell a true line from a false one is entrusted with power. A haruspex who is confused by his path gets buried into the deep black flesh of the Earth.

This is the story of a person who has avoided the contradiction eager to rip a doomed life apart, masterfully fulfilling his true purpose in the process.

What precisely does all this mean? It will become clear with time. For now, let us begin.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You are a loving madman for doing this. Pathologic breaks people when you play it normally, I can't even imagine the drudgery that an SSLP would conjure up.

quote:

The new Pathologic is slated to be released November of 2016, but will likely be delayed as they have met several of their stretch goals, which includes expanding the size and scope of the game world as well as adding new experimental gameplay elements.

Oh this bodes well.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Oh man oh man oh man I love Pathologic lp's!

I think "Changeling" is much better than "Devotress" and I am puzzled as to why they ever called her "Devotress". Her storyline is a real trip, even by the standards of this game.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 16, 2016

meowtroid
Jul 5, 2016

The Meowtroid Prime

SSNeoman posted:

You are a loving madman for doing this. Pathologic breaks people when you play it normally, I can't even imagine the drudgery that an SSLP would conjure up.

I said when I started working on this LP that this was going to kill me. I'm still positive it will!

SSNeoman posted:

Oh this bodes well.

They're including segments of "Lucid Dreaming" for each time you take a sleepy sleep, so that'll be fun to see what kind of hosed up The Voidy stuff they do with that c:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I think we had one LP finish of this once, so it can't be that bad.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

You had me at 'better translation'. I really had no idea what was going on in the last LP I read. Keeping an eye on this one.

meowtroid
Jul 5, 2016

The Meowtroid Prime

GeminiSun posted:

You had me at 'better translation'. I really had no idea what was going on in the last LP I read. Keeping an eye on this one.

The game's a little scary to follow even with a good translation, so I'm probably going to make a comprehensive Lore Post once we get a bit of the ways in that will hopefully help! In the meantime, hope this will be a bit easier for you to parse. C:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well... This should be interesting... :allears:

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Oh, I'm really excited! Artemiy was my favorite as well, but I've never played the new translation. Best of luck, you wonderful madman.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Cathode Raymond posted:

I think "Changeling" is much better than "Devotress" and I am puzzled as to why they ever called her "Devotress". Her storyline is a real trip, even by the standards of this game.

The Devotress was called the Impostress half the time too, which fit better, I guess?

Also I can't wait to see how the new translation shakes a small bit more coherency into this mad world :allears:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hooray! Gothic Russian aesthetic-themed games are always interesting!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cathode Raymond posted:

It was probably a literal or mostly literal translation. There's a post on the Kickstarter about developing the new English translation for the game, discussing the difficulties of translating a language while also keeping intact any puns or meanings that would be impossible to convey literally in English.

One example they gave was Ospina, known in the original translation as Poxmark. "Ospina" literally translates to "Poxmark", as in the mark left on a body by pox. In Russian her name makes sense, as many traditional Russian names end with "-ina" and so a Russian speaker would both understand the meaning of her name and understand that Ospina is a woman before ever meeting her. Literally translating her name, however, gives her a somewhat nonsensical name that loses all its feminine qualities. So the new translation renames her Aspity, as it sounds feminine and has connections to the English words "asp" and "spite" to reflect her poor temperament.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Godspeed, you mad person, you. :allears:

Brass Monkey
Sep 27, 2005

This Compsognathus model at the Oxford University Museum of Natural History shows the animal's narrow skull and long, tapered snout.

Gamerofthegame posted:

I think we had one LP finish of this once, so it can't be that bad.

Yes, I did technically survive my LP. I only did one character and it took ages but I'll count that as a finish. On the other hand, while doing the LP I managed to break both my harddrive and my image host. So the LP images are pretty much deleted from the internet completely. The game still demanded a sacrifice of sorts.

Since the old english translation was so odd, I had to do a lot of interpretation of the story on my own. It will be nice to see how closely all that matched the original intent.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hoping to see one of these LPs by a Brecht fan. Or at least thread contributions on the subject by a theater major - mystical and psychological imagery aside, theatrical motives are (obviously, given the introduction) among the most major influences on the game's imagery and meta-plot both.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Meowtroid, you are positively insane. Godspeed!

meowtroid posted:

The game's a little scary to follow even with a good translation, so I'm probably going to make a comprehensive Lore Post once we get a bit of the ways in that will hopefully help! In the meantime, hope this will be a bit easier for you to parse. C:

I've already posted in the Sandcastle, but it bears repeating. The game is extremely hard to get into even if it's the Russian version played by a native speaker. I know from experience, since I never managed to beat it.

Also, If you don't mind, I'll be talking about how to properly pronounce things, because Burakh does not have a [kh] at the end. This is the sound. and there is no way to properly romanize the words that have it. I can even post voiceclouds, if anyone's interested :v:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Alexeythegreat posted:

I can even post voiceclouds, if anyone's interested :v:

Please do.

meowtroid
Jul 5, 2016

The Meowtroid Prime

Alexeythegreat posted:

Also, If you don't mind, I'll be talking about how to properly pronounce things, because Burakh does not have a [kh] at the end. This is the sound. and there is no way to properly romanize the words that have it. I can even post voiceclouds, if anyone's interested :v:

Feel free, though my pronunciations are going to be what the voice actors in Classic HD say! You'll hear it in the first part, which I'll be posting shortly, and I'm ASSUMING it's correct hahaha. But yes go ahead and offer your knowledge of the pronunciations all you'd like. Despite having a buttload of native Ukrainian speakers in my family, I can barely read Cyrillic much less pronounce it.

meowtroid
Jul 5, 2016

The Meowtroid Prime
DAY ONE - part 1

***CLIP 2: THE HARUSPEX'S INTRODUCTION***

The campaign begins after this cutscene, starting us off with a journal entry Artemy wrote on his train ride over about his ultimate mission here in the town.

quote:

From this point forward, I am the eldest member of the Burakh family. A menkhu. I am the heir to my father, Isidor Burakh; a Warden of the Kin; the supreme menkhu of many years.

The inheritance of my father will nourish my mind and my body alike. It is a question of life and death for me to claim it, for it will imbue my dissolute existence with reason.

I am one of the menkhu; those who know the lines; those who open up the body; those who link the earthly to the under-earth. The duty of the menkhu is to serve the children of Boddho; to interpret coincidence; to point out decisions informed by wisdom. The very reason of my existence is to carry out this duty.

Who will I become if I will fail to bind my destiny with my father's calling?

We also have with us the letter that Isidor sent to Artemy, warning his son of his imminent death.

quote:

The Letter Concerning the Inheritance

Artemy, my son.

I am at my deathbed. Before I die, I need to speak to you with regard to your future, and to pass to you whatever meager property I have.

I must warn you that I had to participate in some mysterious and, as my experience suggests, unfortunate events.
I took an enormous responsibility upon myself. I am no longer my own master.
Therefore, if you choose to reject my inheritance with what obligations it entails - I will understand your choice and not begrudge you that.
I don't have much time left. Please make haste. I want to see you one last time.

What a pity I did not spend more time with you while I still could.

Your loving father,
Isidor Burakh

P.S. If you don't make it while I am still alive, go straight to Vlad Olgimsky. He will accomodate you and inform you of my latest affairs in as much detail as he is able to.

Of course, there's more pressing matters to worry about for the time being.

I don't know why, but I was attacked the moment I stepped off the train. It certainly wasn't the sort of welcoming party that I'd been expecting. Even as a surgeon, I don't take pleasure in getting my hands dirty, but I had no choice. I'm lucky to have a doctor's knowledge, to patch myself with what little I have to keep from bleeding out. I'm lucky to be alive.

Two fellows stand over there. Perhaps they know what's going on? I have to be careful that they're not with this gang that tried to attack me. I hold in my hand one of the knives that had been used to cut me, picked from the corpse of a dead man.

The one on the left addresses me first.

: So Burakh, you're almost dead. Got a few more minutes left to live. I'm here to solemnly announce that.

: Are you with that... crowd?

: No. Of course not. They were but peaceful townspeople. Craftsmen, factory workers, kind sons and good fathers... I'm far more dangerous. I'm the Mask of Fate.

: Some peaceful townspeople... Why did they try to kill me?

: My friend will explain that.

: So what did you want to tell me?

: You've been hit on the head several times, and the locals have heavy fists. Not sure you've noticed already, but you've got four stab wounds, one of them seemingly rather grievous. Massive blood loss too, and the local climate doesn't allow for too much strain. Any heart conditions?

: Aren't you a funny guy.

: Well, your health is in a sorry state. Am I wrong to suspect you haven't eaten for a couple of days and had no sleep last night? Your expression betrays you; your hunger and exhaustion are also critical. I wonder which of these unfortunate afflictions will become the end of you first... So, what's your plan?

: What would you recommend?

: You'll need a first aid kit to restore your health. Or at least some bandages and tourniquets - they'd stop the bleeding. Painkillers would help you make it even further.

: Where do I get them?

: You can mug the passers-by or barter with them. Children will gladly trade most valuable things in exchange for what others consider junk. Moreover, our drunkards usually have bandages on them; when you're a drunk, it makes sense to always be prepared for a fight. When they're hungover, however, they'd sell their own sister for a bottle of water. Water is scarce here.

: Is that enough to make it to the evening?

: You're also hungry, aren't you?

: Very hungry.

: You don't have to mug people to sate your hunger. Food can be found in shops... Although your reputation would preclude you from enjoying their hospitality. On the other hand, a whole warehouse of meat was robbed yesterday, when it was unlocked for the shipping procedures...

: What's hurt my reputation so much?

: An unfortunate misunderstanding. I wouldn't be so rash as to call it slander... but it looks very much like it.

: Tell me about it.

: My friend will do it better, that's his part. My job is explaining to you how to keep your body in working condition.

: All right, go on.

: If any of the noble townspeople trusts you enough, you can always sleep at their place. Just remember that you're an outlaw for now; the only person who believes you is Vlad Olgimsky. I'll show you where he lives. You can get some sleep at his mansion. Don't forget to apply bandages before that - unless dying in your sleep is the career opportunity of your choice, that is.

: I'm an outlaw?

: Be careful. Dodge strangers. They're afraid of you now and will attack you in a heartbeat. Don't trust anyone. Speak to my fellow Executor. He wanted to have a word with you too.

: Fine.

Despite this "Mask of Fate's" strange and cryptic knowledge about me and my circumstances, his advice was helpful. Perhaps his friend on the right will be able to tell me why I'm even in this mess to begin with.

: Welcome to your hometown, warden. It's been a long time since you've been here. You probably don't even remember the spicy odor of twyre in the air... Yeah... Do you know why were attacked?

: No.

: You've been mistaken for another person. They're looking for a murderer. A very important and well-respected man was killed last night; the townsfolk loved the deceased more fervently than some children love their fathers. Don't be too hard on them for their outburst.

: Should I also feel sorry for them? Apologize, perhaps?

: They are naive. In towns like this, reputation is everything. Books are judged by their covers here - even after the last page is turned... No one is going to examine you in detail. A minor rumour here, a gossip there - and you're a public enemy already. You've got zero reputation. The only option available to you is living with the consequences of this.

: What should I do?

: Restore your reputation. Do that now, and at any other time it becomes too low. People are foolish and weak. One day you're beaten to a pulp and laughed at, the next you're worshiped. As for the third day... well, I think you caught my drift. What I'm saying is, any misdeed can be atoned for, and you'll be loved just as fervently as you were hated.

: How do I restore my reputation?

: Do good deeds. The town is small - rumours spread like fire, growing hundredfold in the process. And they're spread by children, too, so... Your reputation will be restored. Just don't be wasteful with it, it's fragile.

: What makes it low?

: The decrease of your reputation depends first and foremost on the number of living beings that you've made less than living. It also depends on how you influence the people whose fates are bound to yours. You'll meet those... special people. They're called the Bound sometimes. A silly custom, but a useful one.

: Special people?

: Thirty or so - each of them possessing their own unique traits. All of them hate one another, all of them are habitual liars... all of them deserve to live. Yet some of them are incompatible - someone has to die so that another may live. And you know what that means.

: How will I recognize these people?

: That's not hard. They're striking personalities, locally famous, even though not all of them are of noble descent. Beggars, outcasts, little children even. Bound... to be a bit closer to perfection than the common crowd.

: I see. Thanks for the advice.

It seems that my only option is to seek audience with the Olgimskys, whom my father mentioned in his letter. I will have to be careful not to run into any townspeople hunting me down in the streets.

Of course, that's easier said than done.

***CLIP 3: THE HARUSPEX'S GREAT ESCAPE***

I've barely escaped those bastards who were lying in wait for me outside of town. But where have I ended up? This warehouse seems to be full of children.

Who is this brash looking teen?

: A new face in our small society! A fighter?

: A doctor.

: A doctor? Gee, we've got a doctor already. Quite unexpectedly, too...

: You haven't had one like me.

He introduces himself as Notkin, the leader of this small gang of children.

: You're not one of Bad Grief's Men, are you?

: Who is this Grief?

: Bad Grief is the kingpin of the criminal world. He has a lair in the northern Warehouses, where he trades in weapons, twyrine, and other nastiness. Every murderer and criminal has a connection to him one way or another; that's the way it goes here. And that's why I'm asking you again: were you on your way to him or not?

: Do I look like a criminal to you?!

: Hm... Some people came running through the Warehouses a few minutes ago. They told everyone that a horrible killer - the whole town's apparently out to get him - had tried to escape by train, got ambushed, killed everyone, and was now going back here. And so now I'm thinking: were they perhaps talking about you?

: It's a misunderstanding. I came from far away and got attacked.

: Okay then. You do look like you've been through a lot... We'd like to help you, but we've been robbed too. And, as bad luck would have it, it's medicine that's been snatched! Lika, the bastard! He's a traitor, a thief, a thug, and a prick!

: Who are you talking about?

: Lika. The name fits; the prick's a natural-born boot-licker. I can't even figure out who he's sold out to, the thieves or the Dogheads. He's stolen the most precious thing from us, from his mates! The bastard! And on top of that, he's done it right when a war's about to start!

: A war?

: A war with the Dogheads. That stinking bastard, that heartless, souless little rat! Stole the most precious thing we owned, murdered a friend, and ran over to the enemy's side! We used to think he was one of us! Was he pretending all along? He deserves to die, to be killed...

It seems like Notkin is incredibly preoccupied with this traitor of his - far too busy to help me out. However, if I listen and help with his little problem, maybe he can return the favor? I'll let him continue his rant.

: What precious thing?

: A very important medicine. A shmowder. They're very rare since they're handmade. The recipe is unknown. There are different ones; some will cure you, others will kill you. We had the last one to use as a sample, to learn to tell which ones help by their taste. They all look the same.

: What does it cure?

: There used to be a horrible disease here. Came from nowhere, disappeared later. It gives me the creeps when I remember it. It was horrible, spreading like wildfire... It's a miracle we stopped it. Well... we kept the shmowder afterwards because we remembered what it was like. And he stole it! Leaving us to die... The stinking prick!

: So where's this guy now?

: He's probably with his thieving buddies. At first he hid in the Steppe, and then he just vanished. Probably took a roundabout to evade us. We lost him near the barrow, then we had to run away 'cause the thieves appeared all of a sudden... If you find this bastard, do cut him into pieces, please!

: You mean kill him?

: Yes! The bastard doesn't deserve to live anymore. I'll give you my revolver as a gift then! One thing though... if he's with a dog, don't touch it. One must never hurt dogs.

: All right. I'll have a chat with him if I find him.

Of course I'm not planning to kill the kid if I find him. Killing children is bad enough without my reputation being as sullied as it is. If I can speak to him, though, perhaps I can teach him a lesson, and calm Notkin's nerves. Notkin may be able to spread good word of me, then.

Before that, however, I am curious about this Bad Grief that Notkin mentioned. While it may not help my reputation visiting an outlaw, he may be one of the only men willing to ignore my alleged crimes and offer me some help. It's less risky than heading into the heart of town right away.

Is this the building?

It certainly seems like a fitting place for a band of thieves.

This is Bad Grief. If you're familiar with the original translation, he is formerly known as Gryph. The translators chose to get a little more punny with his new name. Grief will sell contraband items to us, things such as lockpicks, weapons, ammunition, and bootleg spirits known as twyrine.

: You look like a man not to be picked on, dontcha? Heh he! We'll do some rookin' and swindlin' here n' there, we will, but let's not be enemies... Thievin' is more honorable than killin' anyway, if you ask me. You must hold a different opinion though, eh?

I choose to ignore his rather presumptuous question.

: Who are you?

: Heh, ain't they been tellin' you about good old Bad Grief? The kingpin and king of thieves, the stockman-in-chief, the smugglin' master... well, the robberings are there too.

: So that's how it is...

: Well, that's me. Welcome to our lair. We're up to some smugglin', we are, so everythin' that's prohibited you can find here in great supply. You be careful though, big man! Buyin' stuff off of us harms you in a way. If anyone finds out, they won't trust you anymore.

drat. Best not to risk it until my reputation is in better standing, then.

: Thanks for the warning.

: Wait, you, I know who you are. It's not like I have a choice! A line of trade like this, man doesn't have no right to miss out on anythin' fundamental. Some turmoil that was, eh? Those who got away from you ran past us, y'see. Asked me if you were one of our lot. Nope, I said. So they warned me you'd come. They'll warn those who greet 'em at their next pit stop too...

: A drat mess! They mistook me for someone else!

: Oh don't you fuss, you got yourself into the town from the right side. Scum and villains here, villains and scum. Shady folk livin' by the Warehouses since the world began... Us lot, we are used to them murderings, robberings, muggerings, killerings, and the likes.

: So your gang is not the only one here?

: Bah! If only! One heart-balm there is, one and only, is we're the strongest. Officially we ain't no thieves, but rather humble storekeepers. But there is new blood, too... Someone's hired them doggies to guard their stuff, and no way they ain't got sticky fingers. Well, that's their business, not mine. But the boys, them little punks, those are on the rise! How could a man have guessed?

: What boys are you talking about?

: Some whippersnappers used to play around here. We didn't touch the lot, why would we? They're small fish, tiny fish. A cuff on the nape and a kick in the butt to shoo 'em away from here were enough. But they went on gangin'! Got 'emselves a real fighting unit and real dogs, snappish too. Gettin' on our nerves quite a bit. I was patient with 'em for a while... But now they're tryin' to get their hands on my goods! That I won't stand, not for a moment. 'Nough!

I have a bad feeling I know exactly which boys he means.

: Are you going to declare war on them?

: I'll start with one of them, the cockiest one, take care of him first. They had this traitor of theirs, ratted 'em out to us... The lil' punk was afraid for his life. But now the prick's turned on everyone! Both 'em lot 'n us. Poisoned one of my thieves, took the stash 'n ran off into the Steppe, that son of a bitch. We went lookin' for him, couldn't find him in the dark...

: And so...?

: Would you help us with 'im, eh? If you meet 'im somehow, could you just end 'im...? We'll do you good back, do you favors and the like!

It's an offer that's too tempting to refuse, even if I don't plan on killing the guy. Though I have my suspicions which kid he's talking about.

: Where did you lose him?

: Look, I'll show you where we went. He must've slipped away further, to the Abattoir...

: Ok, I'll look for him if I pass that area by.

My hunch was right. Looks like this kid's caused a lot of trouble in the Warehouses. Not only has he got Notkin on a warpath, but he may have just started a feud between Bad Grief's dangerous men and Notkin's gang. I better go find him to calm down both gangs to quell any bloodshed and hopefully gain their favor in the process.

First though, I have a few more pressing questions to ask Grief. He seems to know a lot about my situation and what's been going on around town.

: What's the news in the town?

: There're a lot of things goin' on left and right, there are. I've got this feelin' we're gonna have a heavy day today, lotsa stuff happenin'. Depends on whatcha lookin' for. What's your deal?

: Well, I could use some weapons...

: Oh. Well I've got word there's an ambush at the station again. But it ain't no common folks this time, there's some stronger meat there... brigands and thugs. Armed, by the way. Wanna meet 'em? May end good for you, may put you six feet under.

: Really? That's interesting. And how long will they be there?

: I dunno. I didn't send 'em there. Tried to talk 'em out of it, even. So it ain't my trouble if they come 'round complainin'. You catch my drift?

: I see what you're getting at... Thank you.

Apparently some bad men are lurking around here. Perhaps I can pick off some weapons from them, or find some way to stop their ambush? Anything to yield me some help in getting into town, even if it's risky. Though Bad Grief might have another alternative to help me restore my good name.

: So I am unwelcome here. How do I explain that I had nothing to do with it?

: Hey old boy, you've stirred the town, you have... Heavens know how many folks you've offed, they say, heh! But 'em blockheads weren't after you in the first place... So you only have to drop a word or two, and they'll go 'round believin' it all. They got 'emselves a new target already, they're after some bitch now, a shapeshifter dire and grim. So everythin' that's wrong is her doin' now. Even the wrongs you've done for real.

: But I'm still a target, aren't I?

: They'll leave you alone soon, they will. Our lot says there's just one of 'em folks from the Station that ain't dead yet, just one guy to describe your features. He'll die soon enough too - crawled to the cemetery already. And there he lies now, all a-bleedin'. Ain't you a tough guy... If he were to die, there'd be no one left to call you murderer, that I can tell you for sure.

Bad Grief has a point. If I finish the bastard off that nearly killed me, there'd be no one left to spread all the rumors about the showdown at the Train Station. Perhaps I should track him down.

: Where is the cemetery?

: Heh heh! All around us, a cemetery is, go wherever you will, heh!

: ...

: Alright, I'll show you. There's a lodge there, a keeper's lodge. Ask for a blessed girl, the daughter of the caretaker, may he rest in peace... She'll tell you the whos and wheres, a kind soul that she is.

: Thank you, I'll consider it.

It seems like I've got a long day ahead of me.

---

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

Our actors, in the order that they appear. Give them a round of applause!

The Haruspex: Artemy Burakh
Our protagonist, a surgeon and a holy man who's come home after ten years of absence to claim his inheritance.

The Executors
???

Notkin
The young teen leader of the gang known as the Soul-and-a-Halves.

Bad Grief (Formerly known as Gryph)
The leader of the gang of thieves in the Warehouses.

meowtroid fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 19, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm never not going to find "If you go and kill the last survivor, he won't be able to tell everyone that you committed a murder!" terribly ironic.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

A lot of the game flows much better in Russian. Like that crack about "got a history of heart conditions?" and hell even its title.

The big one is the Devotress/Impostress/Changeling. In Russian she's known as Samozvanka, which can indeed mean a female imposter, but the word can be literally taken to mean as "she who names herself" which I'm sure has no importance or significance at all. Changeling is the pragmatic translation, and I suppose it fits best.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 17, 2016

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So would that be "The Self-Proclaimed" for a literal translation?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Okay then, I'll post some voiceclouds with proper pronunciations of the character names when my throat isn't filled with barbed wire (I'm sick atm).

SSNeoman posted:

A lot of the game flows much better in Russian. Like that crack about "got a history of heart conditions?" and hell even its title.

The big one is the Devotress/Impostress/Changeling. In Russian she's known as Samozvanka, which can indeed mean a female imposter, but the word can be literally taken to mean as "she who names herself" which I'm sure has no importance or significance at all. Changeling is the pragmatic translation, and I suppose it fits best.

Archenteron posted:

So would that be "The Self-Proclaimed" for a literal translation?

Eeeehhh... it doesn't really mean that, unless Ice-Pick Lodge were artsy with the word like that. This word always has a negative connotation in Russian, and always means "someone who claims to be someone or something one is not". I.e. impostress. It's not a word that you can translate piece by piece.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

meowtroid posted:

***CLIP 2: THE HARUSPEX'S INTRODUCTION***

Fancy meeting you here, Wilhelm. :haw:

I have to thank this game for one thing: I never would have thought to look up what a "haruspex" was without it. A bit odd that they'd be referencing an act last historically recorded in Ancient Roman times, though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Holy poo poo the translation makes sense. The "tutorial" guys in the older version were a thing of beauty horrible misleading.

KataraniSword posted:

I have to thank this game for one thing: I never would have thought to look up what a "haruspex" was without it. A bit odd that they'd be referencing an act last historically recorded in Ancient Roman times, though.
I'll leave explaining to mewtroid, because it's both history and gameplay related, but the name makes perfect sense.

meowtroid
Jul 5, 2016

The Meowtroid Prime

KataraniSword posted:

Fancy meeting you here, Wilhelm. :haw:

Well hi there Sword.

I actually did explain the word once before, a long while back. What I said then: "They state that he and his father can read the fates of people by inspecting their bodies, which is similar to the practice of haruspicy. It's not a completely literal definition of what he does, but it's a close approximation. Personally I think it's just a word that was used by the writers to convey the archaic nature of his 'occupation.'"

That still holds true now, of course. They chose the word for a million different reasons, but the most obvious one is for its AGE and its relationship as a mix of SCIENCE and MAGIC. If I had to guess, Nikolay Dybowski (the lead writer and the head of the studio) found the word while doing research for the story and built Artemy's story around it.

Fun fact, Nikolay Dybowski's photo is the portrait used for the Haruspex!

(of course he's 12 years older now.)

meowtroid
Jul 5, 2016

The Meowtroid Prime
DAY ONE - part 2

It seems my safest bet right now would be to head to the graveyard and find this caretaker and the man who ran away from me. Notkin and Grief's traitor appears to be hiding out in that area, too, so I can kill two birds with one stone.

Even on the outskirts, men are still chasing after me and calling me a murderer.

I was chased all the way here. These townsfolk never give up, do they? Luckily I was able to lose them once I slipped into the gravekeeper's hut.

This must be the last man that tried to kill me.

Is this the graveyard keeper? I was expecting a grown woman, not a child. She addresses me as I approach.

: You look like a person whose heart is burdened with the weight of a great, sorrowful loss. What's your name?

: ... My name is Artemy Burakh.

: My name is Grace. I look after the dead.

: Aren't you a bit too young for such a job?

Grace is formerly known as Laska. Her new name, however, is very apt for her character.

: Why have you come?

: This man here, is this the man that tried to kill me?

: Don't finish him off, please! This is the man that tried to kill you, yes. One of those who assaulted you at the Station. He says it was you who crippled him. He will die soon enough anyway, he's got so little blood left... Will you let him be?

: Really? Should I maybe tend to his wounds and sing him a lullaby?

My sarcasm is completely lost on her.

: Would you want to? Oh, that's wonderful! He's lost a lot of blood, see? He needs more. I'd share mine with him, but it's poisoned... and I've got too little of it, too. So I can't give mine away.

The girl has tears in her eyes, and she's giving me the biggest smile. It's impossible for me to refuse her. Perhaps if I heal this man, he and she will both be able to spread good word of me...

: Is there anyone around here that can offer blood for a transfusion?

: I've heard of a terrible man trading in blood in the Stone Yard. He is a usurer, but he takes blood too. He should have the blood for you. Want me to show you where he lives?

: Yes, but how can you possibly transfuse the blood to him?

I'm certainly not equipped for it at the moment.

: Don't worry about this. There are a lot of people who know how to handle blood. Fewer of those willing to share it...

I suppose I simply won't question why a young girl who's a gravekeeper has the skills or equipment to transfuse blood. Whatever helps me, I'll take it.

: Okay... I'll speak to that usurer of yours.

Damnit! The man lives all the way across town! I'd have to pass through several neighborhoods full of people to get to him, and I'm still not well equipped to get much further than the outskirts. Looks like Grace is going to have to wait a while. I just hope the man lasts that long.

Before anything else, I'll see if I can find the troublesome kid hiding out here in the Steppe.

There, that must be him. He's wearing some kind of bizarre dog mask.

: Who are ya? What's your business here? Gatherin' twyre, are ya?

: I've come for you, little doggy.

: Oh really! You're in cahoots with them then too? No way... So, who sent ya?

: Someone who's very unhappy with you. They want your blood.

: Are they nuts? Why are they bullyin' me? So I did some snoopin' here and there, so what... So I did do some double agentin'... Ugh, I'm done! Don't wanna rat out the Soul-and-a-Halves to the thieves, don't wanna rat out the thieves to the Soul-and-a-Halves, I'm the only sensible person around here!

: Why do they want you dead? This is your last chance. I don't like traitors.

: Hey, calm down, calm down! So I took somethin'. It's common property right? So it's mine, too. They'd have slangwhanged over the shmowder anyway, heh. Ya could say I did them a favor! And so I hurt a doggy, true, but in self-defense, nothin' more! One's right to defend himself is sacred, right?

: That was rather unconvincing...

: Oh, have mercy on me, good man! He who saves a life with be rewarded! I just can't tell ya what they want me dead for... It would make me feel real bad. But I won't do it anymore.

This kid's a rotten apple, that's for sure, but I'm not the kind of person who goes around killing children. Nor am I his father, so it wouldn't feel right to give him a good wallop. And I think he's scared enough of me as it is; the odds of him pulling stunts like this again are pretty low.

I'll take pity on him and turn him loose.

: Alright, get outta here.

Hopefully Grief and Notkin will understand my decision.

I tell Grief about it first.

: I've found the runt.

: And...?

: I let him go. He isn't worth the trouble.

: That ain't good! Got too soft a heart or something? Soft, eh...

: Got too hard of a bone structure? You watch it, I'll break them in no time.

Grief sends me off with a bitter look. Even if he isn't too happy with me, if he goes spreading rumors that I'm 'soft' it'll definitely be an improvement over telling everyone I'm bloodthirsty.

I break the news to Notkin next.

: I've met your traitor.

: So, what did you think of him?

: A coward.

: Exactly! So what did you do to him?

: I let him go.

: Pah... What kind of a Ripper does that?

: Hey, where did you get the idea of calling me a Ripper?

: Well... Never mind then. Perhaps you did the right thing. I feel better now. I was so angry before I couldn't breathe! But you were right not to kill him. Did you at least give him a good thrashing through?

: You told me not to hurt dogs. He partially fit the description.

Notkin actually laughs at that, and I can't help but smile back. He's not a bad lad, just a little hotheaded. Hopefully he'll be able to tell others now that I'm not so bad either.

There's only one other thing I wanted to check out before heading into town. Grief had mentioned an ambush lying in wait by the trains, a group of men poised to attack incoming shipments. If Grief and Notkin's good word isn't enough to get me out of poor standing, then stopping this ambush certainly should be. At the very least, it could yield me some weapons and change for food - I can no longer rely on getting my inheritance quickly enough for that.

This sidequest is a bit more optional than the others. It provides no extra story, isn't actually marked down in your journal or on your map, and yields only Reputation and looted items as your immediate reward.

The combat here can get really tricky, as Pathologic's combat isn't the finest, but backstabs trivialize the fight if you can sneak up on them without being spotted.

Ultimately, the loot dropped is worth it. Harvesting organs will yield thorough rewards throughout the playthrough (no wonder they started calling Artemy "The Ripper"). The guns and weapons can make further combat easier or, more importantly, can be turned in for great amounts of cash at any shop. Being strapped for cash is usually the quickest way to die in this game. We will also be returning here later today, so it's nice to not have to deal with enemies blocking our way anymore.

Anyway, now that our Reputation is at a reasonable level, people will stop attacking us. It's safe to go into town.

This is the Lump, the house of the Olgimsky family. I remember the name of the family from when I was a child; they're a powerful group, and they've been here for a very long time.

Out front is a strange masked man. He catches me before my hand can reach the front door.

: Excuse me, are you Big Vlad, the owner of this house?

: Do I look like him?

: In all honesty, absolutely not. I just thought you may represent him.

: Tough luck once again.

: I'm but a poor postman, you see... Tasked with delivering a letter of utter importance. Yet I was told he would not be home until eleven.

An odd looking fellow for a postman...

: Does this letter by any chance refer to one Burakh?

: I haven't read it!

: Yes you have. You're such a lousy liar even a mask can't conceal that.

: Okay, alright... No, the letter refers to one... Bachelor Dankovsky, who has come to the town for personal reasons, but will soon take on the responsibility of dealing with Simon Kain's mysterious murder!

: As if my life wasn't fun enough...

Great. Now I have to worry about some city boy bachelor running around town. Hopefully he doesn't have me pegged for a murderer like all the rest.

It isn't quite eleven yet, and the front door is locked. In the meantime I'll try next door, in the East Wing of the manor, to see if anyone is there.

There's a young girl in this wing. She looks incredibly frightened of me when I step inside.

: Who are you? Why are you covered in blood?

I try to calm her down.

: That's just my professional expenses as a surgeon, please don't worry. I am Artemy Burakh.

: So it's you, Artemy Burakh? The Haruspex? We have long been waiting for you... I am Victoria. My father is Vladislav Olgimsky. My friends call me Capella.

: Will we be friends?

: Of course we will! Well... at least I hope so. Do you believe in premonitions? What about precognition?

I recall stories from my childhood of Mistresses who could tell the future. I recall even my father supposedly having such an ability, to tell a person's fate. Though I've long forgotten the details, and I'm not nearly as superstitious as I once was, I still believe in these things to a degree.

: I do.

: I have a feeling that in less than two weeks, our world will collapse and be reborn in a new form. I will have to create new life and sacrifice myself for the future's sake. Will you help me with that?

: I... hope that you will not have to sacrifice anything, for now.

: Speak with my father first. He lives next door.

: Thank you, Victoria.

She's the kindest soul I've met so far. I certainly hope that her precognitions about having to sacrifice herself won't have to come true.

For the time being, I need to stay sharp and familiarize myself with town. I have about an hour to find some food and gather some more information before Big Vlad will be home.

: What's going on around town?

: I hear the Soul-and-a-Halves got an opportunity to catch their breath. This is good, now everyone will have the time to prepare. Otherwise we'd have to mourn our boys... and the Halves would be orphaned.

: What halves, what in the world are you talking about?

: It's just a catchy name. Notkin says it's because each of them has a familiar - a cat, a dog, a crow, or a grass-snake. Half-a-soul more than a normal person. Or a normal animal.

Ah, right, that's Notkin's gang.

: What do they do, those Soul-and-a-Halves of yours?

: It's a lifestyle that's larger than life! If you join the Soul-and-a-Halves, you have to adopt a pet. As you raise it, you change. Then, when it's grown, it gets the other way round: your Half begins to take care of you. And so you are always together, bound forever.

: And what if the animal dies?

: I don't know... No Half has ever died before. What kind of Soul-and-a-Half are you if your familiar can die? They wouldn't take you in in the first place.

: Ah. Naturally.

It seems like the local children have wildly imaginative games that they play.

Wandering through town, you can scavenge through rubbish bins to find things like empty glass bottles and little trinkets like fish hooks, needles, rings, flowers - all things you can use to trade with the locals in town. If you recall, drunks like water for their hangovers, children like bits and bobbles.

With our Reputation at a reasonable standing, we can also buy things from local shops.

While I'm on this side of town, I may as well visit the usurer that Grace mentioned since it's still rather early.

: Your face looks familiar...

: Ah, I resemble my father, is all.

: You don't look too good. Got smacked around a bit, eh?

: I need blood, hunchback.

: Spent too much of your personal reserves? He heh... Ain't no blood here! Go ahead and find some morons to give you theirs!

: I'm not asking for myself.

: I told you! Ain't no blood! Could take some from you, but you're not gonna survive that. You oughtta get up to some healing or bring me someone fresher...

My own blood? He's not wrong, I feel like I've lost a lot already. Still, I don't think I have much of a choice. But if he has a few tourniquets around, I might be able to minimize the loss. I can live with being anemic for a while.

: You're right, I don't feel too good... Do you have any medicine?

: Who were you fighting, you unlucky creature? Got ambushed or something?

: Yes. I was attacked, by five men.

: Go and dig your nose into them drawers. Oughtta find something. What the hump are them folk doing attacking people? No mercy in them for anyone anymore. Go 'bout breaking people like sticks. Ready to slash anyone on the spur of the moment. Those rabid demons...

: Thank you.

This medkit will do. I can finally suture the deeper cuts and put some proper bandages on my wounds. Hopefully that will be enough to let me be a donor.

He takes some of my blood and packs it away so I can bring it to Grace.

On my way back to the Lump, I come across this sight. This bizarre piece of architecture looks almost like it's a dilapidated building, but I know this wasn't here ten years ago. What an odd landmark.

Big Vlad should be home by now.

: I guess I know who stands before me... I know of your tragedy, my boy. I am Vladislav Olgimsky, boös... you probably don't remember me. I am wholly at your disposal. Somehow I didn't expect you to be so young.

: I'm not all that young. Were you expecting to see a senior person or something?

: No, no... But your father was so old... I couldn't shake away the feeling that I was to see his copy.

: So you've been expecting me?

: I was- for a while. A lady whose intuition can be trusted has told me you were to come any day now. But we'll talk of that later. Well met... Artemy Burakh.

: Yes, that is my name.

: Artemy Burakh... Yes, Isidor's death is a terrible loss... terrible. Just like your looks... please forgive this old man his poor manners. It's hard for me to tell you that the death of your beloved father is most likely just the beginning of your misfortunes... master Burakh.

So I'm too late. My father has passed away, then, before I could arrive. My feelings about this are... complicated. But I have no time to focus on them or mourn. I'm still a wanted man, and Vlad is the only one whose protection I can rely on for now.

: Yes, some bastards attacked me as soon as I got off the train.

: Yes, I've heard already. Those bastards, however, weren't looking for the person who got off the train, but rather for someone planning to board it. They were after a murderer, you see... the one who's caused a lot of problems already... a lot. They say your father's death is the murderer's doing too.

: What? My father has been murdered?!

From the way his letter sounded in his letter, I'd assumed he'd been sick! What the hell is going on?

: There is a theory... A weird death... he was ready for it though, wasn't he? He did let you know beforehand. And then he died precisely that night. Well, the fear's greater than the reason for it, you know. Pray tell... why would anyone examine the evidence now? It's so much easier to just tear apart the troublemaker... you, that is.

: What do I have to do with any murder?! I've only just arrived!

: The men at the station mistook you for the murderer. Problem is, now they're broadcasting your features to anyone who would listen. You do stand out, you know. And mass hysteria is an excellent environment for rash accusations. Coupled with the questionable visions of a certain influential lady.

: What lady?

: A well-respected one. Do you remember the Saburovs? I doubt you do... Katerina isn't that much older than you. Katerina, Alexander Saburov's wife. She has extraordinary talents. Precognitive, dare I say. No one questions them, that much is certain.

: Did she foresee me coming?

: Not only that. She foresaw many horrors related to you. But it's all very vague. And, you know, compared to my deceased wife, Katerina's talents are... to put it mildly, controversial. But they're enough for the commoners to identify you and...

: So what, am I a suspect for the whole town?

: A suspect? No, I wish... It's not suspicion, there's not a shade of doubt. They're positive it was you, my dear master Burakh. You are being hunted, and until panic settles down, please do consider their proof irrefutable. Those who have been left lying by the station are self-explanatory too...

: Urgh. What exactly am I even being accused of?

: First of all, the deaths that you are actually to blame for. It was self-defense, perhaps, but you can't prove that right now; but that's a minor problem anyway. Secondly, the murder of this town's leader, Simon Kain. Now that is more serious... A tangled mess of interests and parties... And thirdly, you've been accused of killing your father, Isidor.

: Patricide? Killing my father?! This is horseshit!

: It's all one big mess, one big knot, you have to see that. It's not like the mob is looking for two separate murderers, really... the patterns feel similar, the circumstances, and by the way, Isidor and Simon had met just the day before. What can I say? One thing leads to another... it's not like they've got the time to reflect upon the situation thoughtfully, they're simply in a hurry to catch the bad guy! While the bad guy's still here.

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record at this point, but I insist once again.

: But I've only just arrived - on a switch engine.

: Pray tell, and who was the engine driver, hm? Don't rack your brains, you won't remember... but I will. The station, after all, is my domain. He won't testify to your alibi, a half-human that he is... deaf and dumb, too. And nobody knows how long you had been hiding in the town, having secretly arrived. The seer had spoken of it beforehand.

: I wouldn't wish all this on my worst enemy...

: The leader's death has stirred the townsfolk up, and the Kains are willing to take drastic measures now... And you don't want to make those hawks angry. Patricide is also a blasphemous crime, and you're yet to clear those accusations up. As for now, you're an outlaw.

: Hopefully you believe I'm innocent.

: I do, and so do the members of my family... perhaps a few others. We do believe you are innocent, yes. But going out there... pray forgive me... it would be better to march straight to the wheel to be broken on. The mob will tear you into pieces. Do you have a weapon.

: Yes, I can defend myself.

: Those poor creatures in the streets are really not to blame... Don't be too harsh on them. For the first time in many years they've got an opportunity to witness absolute evil. They will come to their senses... in due time. Meanwhile, you need to come into your inheritance, don't you? And that means you need to free yourself from accusations first.

: My word won't be enough. Everyone's squabbling... they'll probably see foul play in this. Here's what I think. The Kains have commissioned a peculiar man to handle Simon Kain's case. A bachelor of medicine. He'd come a long way here, and just in time, too... As though it was meant to be like this. He's the one searching for the murderer for them.

: So you suggest I meet him?

: He's quite quick on the draw, they say... If only you could find him before he finds you, he won't shoot you straight away then, perhaps. Meanwhile, I'll be doing everything I can to aid you. It would have been so much better if you could just lay low for a while... But they'll come for you here soon, I'm afraid.

: Alright. I'll speak to this bachelor...

: Just wait til the evening, please. Right now he is also confused, so he'll shoot first and ask questions later. And just... please do your best not to break more bones. Do not attack random people in the street. Just go easy on them and work on gradually restoring your good name... And also go see my daughter right now. She's a good girl, and she's got something to tell you.

: I'll take any well-minded advice. Are there any other members of your family that believe I'm innocent?

: Of course. My son, Vladislav Jr., is currently staying in a building on the outskirts of town... he's got some shady business there. I'll give you the address. Perhaps he'll help you in word and deed.

: I hope so.

It seems like I'm going to have to track this bachelor down and convince him that I'm in no way responsible for the murders in town. I've done a fair bit to help clear my name as it is, but finishing this task for Grace and doing some more investigation myself can only help my case.

Before I get started, Victoria had something she apparently wanted to tell me.

: Victoria, your father said you had something to tell me?

: Yes, you are a victim of a terrible mistake. Yet there is something I want to reveal to you; it will help you re-establish your good reputation. I'll give you a few names. All of them belong to children, but don't judge them by their age. Some of them may be invaluable to you.

: Is that so?

: It is. All of them have been seeing Isidor quite often lately. Maybe some of them can even surmise who the real killer is. And the rest know for a fact that you are innocent! They are Bound, and so accusing a person of patricide would be unnatural to them... even if the evidence is obvious.

Bound? Where have I heard that term before?

: Well I'm happy to hear that.

: They can help you find out how your father spent his last evening. I only know that he went off into the Steppe for a very long time and came back very late at night. That is when the children went to see the old man in secret.

: What for?

: Do you know why their relationship with your father had grown tighter recently?

: I have no idea.

: The reason is quite sad. These children, my friends and faithful aids, are going to die soon.

: Why? Are they terminally ill?

: No, but you must believe me. Your father has done so without hesitation - and you know that he was a clever and suspicious man. He kept checking if anything was wrong with the kids every day. That is just how their line of fortune goes. They are more likely to die than to live.

: Did my father know beforehand he would die... for the same reason?

: I don't know.

: How are you so sure of this then?

: Precognition. Not only mine though. All of us agree on this. So does... did, your father... and Simon... it's still so hard for me to speak about them in the past tense... Maria agreed too, and even Katerina. Everyone agrees. Please, take care of them like your father did. They must live! Simon and Isidor died, so they too must be on the brink!

: What can I do for them?

: Just... keep them in mind. And if you ever hold their lines of fortune in your hand, please do not let them go. You are also not a common man, you know. You are your father's son.

: Is that so...

quote:

Whatever happens, these people must live. Their fates are bound to mine; they may well hold the keys to my victory in their hands.

Murky

Notkin

Grace

Capella

Taya Tycheek

Khan

Victoria - no, Capella - hands me a list of these children she mentioned, these Bound ones. Morbidly enough, her name also appears on this list, along with Notkin's and Grace's. I don't recognize the rest. So my father swore to protect these children from their imminent deaths?

I'm starting to see what he meant in his letter by taking on an enormous responsibility... Just what exactly is going on in this town?

---

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

Our protagonist, a surgeon and a holy man who's coming home after ten years of absence to claim his inheritance.

Grace (Formerly known as Laska)
The young caretaker of the graveyard.

Lika
A traitor to both Notkin and Bad Grief.

Bad Grief (Formerly known as Gryph)
The leader of the gang of thieves in the Warehouses.

Notkin
The young teen leader of the gang known as the Soul-and-a-Halves.

The Tragedian (Postman?)
???

Victoria "Capella" Olgimsky Jr.
The daughter of Big Vlad Olgimsky, she has bleak visions of the future.

The Hunchback
A usurer in town whom Grace mentioned had stored blood.

Vladislav "Big Vlad" Olgimsky
A rich man in town who own much of the meat industry here; he and his family support Artemy.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Oh man, what a rabbit hole. This takes courage; I still don't get everything about Pathologic.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

meowtroid posted:

Gently caress Laska.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I do appreciate the novel way of getting resources; literally ripping them out of your enemies.

meowtroid
Jul 5, 2016

The Meowtroid Prime

wiegieman posted:

Oh man, what a rabbit hole. This takes courage; I still don't get everything about Pathologic.

One of the nice things about doing a forum-based LP is the room for discussion! If there's anything that ever confuses you, do ask questions - myself or others can respond c:

I'm definitely going to be putting together a big comprehensive Lore Post too when we get further in!

meowtroid
Jul 5, 2016

The Meowtroid Prime

Xander77 posted:

Gently caress Laska.

Capella (or Kapella as it was spelled in the original) is my favorite. <3 I have a Diamond Dove I named after her. The dove is, hilariously, much more of a meanie than the character (but only when she's laid eggs).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really like the multiple "health meters" this game has going for it. It's been a long time but I still don't think anything has modeled things like this.

...well, maybe Dwarf Fortress is there but that doesn't really count.

meowtroid
Jul 5, 2016

The Meowtroid Prime
DAY ONE - part 3

I hold up the list to Capella.

: Can you tell me some more about the children? Where can I find them?

: Khan won't be of any help; however, Sticky is probably hanging around the backstreets. I haven't heard from Taya for quite a while... Oh, have you by any chance met Grace already, the sweet girl?

: I have.

: What about a boy called Notkin then?

: I've met him too.

: He is so very brave, and a faithful friend too! He won't ever care for gossip and slander if he comes to love and respect you. Notkin would always come to your aid and be willing to die by your side even if the whole world was against you. He would never betray a friend!

: I would love to be spoken about like this too.

: Well, he has his ups and downs as well... He is kind to his friends, but he knows no mercy for his foes. And he is overdoing it sometimes. He does have a thirst for blood, just like... well. He'll probably grow up to be a combat General, like Block or Shoin.

Notkin, bloodthirsty? No kidding. But he has compassion in him, even if he has a sour temper.

: We'll just wait and see.

With so much information to keep track of, it's hard to know where to start with all of it. I'll try and get my thoughts straight before moving on.

I've been accused of the murder of Simon Kain, the leader of the town. I've also been accused of murdering my own father. Simon Kain's murder is being looked into by some bachelor of medicine from the city - Bachelor Dankovsky. I'll worry about him later tonight. If he's a smart man he'll realize there could absolutely be no evidence linking me to Simon's death.

The more troublesome accusation is the one regarding my father. The very thought of it makes me sick - even moreso knowing that while everyone goes on accusing me, his real killer is still at large. The children he was looking after, those Bound to me now, were apparently the last ones to see him alive, so if there are any witnesses, it would be one or more of them. Sticky, it sounds like, is my best lead. I can also talk to Grace about it, since I need to deliver this blood to her anyway.

Hopefully I'll find evidence enough to clear my name of patricide, and perhaps even find the real person responsible.

For now, I need to lay down and rest for an hour or two. Capella is grateful enough to let me rest my head here. While I'd rather not take a child's bed, I feel as though I'm going to collapse any minute. She leaves the room to let me sleep.

When I wake up, there's a letter on the bedside table. Capella must have left it for me. I open it and scan the contents.

quote:

On Stakh Rubin

Stakh Rubin, your childhood friend and the most faithful student of your father, has sworn to kill you as he learned that you murdered your father (his master) over an inheritance dispute.

Beware of this man. He is blinded by fury, despair, desire of vengeance, and self-righteousness. He is very dangerous.

Always at your service,
Benefactors

Oh for the love of--!!

No. No, I'm not dealing with this right now. It's just another name to avoid for the time being. This nonsense has got to stop - the sooner, the better.

When I head out again, I notice a strange sight. Some men are chasing after a woman, seemingly defenseless. They cry "shabnak-adyr!" at her while they chase her. My first instinct is to step in and stop them, but I remember Big Vlad's warning to stop getting tangled up with townsfolk on the street.

I turn away my gaze and continue walking on as if I hadn't seen anything.

Before I make the long trek back to Grace, I want to try and find Sticky. Capella said Sticky usually hangs out on the back streets, so I decide to ask the local children what they know about the area. It's been so long since I've been home that I forgot the layout of my own neighborhood.

: Could you point me the way to the Crude Sprawl?

: Ooh... it's on the outskirts of the town, by the cemetery and the Abattoir. If you keep going past it - kinda diagonally, you know? - you'll get to the Rotten Field.

: And... what's the Rotten Field?

: It's where they bury the bulls' bones. The place is covered with fur instead of grass, and it's all bones, bones, bones underground. Bones and horns! Yeah.

: I see. What do you know about the Theatre?

: Oh, it's our peas duh restaurants!

I think he meant to say 'piece de resistance'.

: They have all sorts of cool stuff! The shows they do... puppet plays about a shade, an orphan that came out on top, a little thief girl, and a scientist who made the world ends! Lots of stuff!

: So it's a puppet show, huh.

: Not only that! They also have the Masks perform every evening, but I'm not allowed to those shows.

: Why?

: I'm too little a boy.

: Ah, I see. One last question, can you tell me about that strange looming Tower in the Stone Yard?

I've seen it marked here, though I didn't get a good glimpse of it while I was over there. I know for a fact it absolutely was not here ten years ago, whatever it's supposed to be.

: The Tower? You don't need that.

: What? Why not?

: Because they won't let you in anyway.

: Who is "they"?

: The little ones.

: Oh, do you play there?

: Oh yes! We very much do! We also live there. And go on adventures sometimes.

: Hmm, I see.

: At first, no one knew there was going to be the Tower - the plan was to create a square that would be on top of a very large bridge, like that wide! They would make a fun-fair there.

: A pity the plan fell through!

: No it's not! The Polyhedron is obviously better! What would they sell at a fun-fair? The stuff the train delivers? You can get that in any store already, it's boring!

It seems like this Tower - the "Polyhedron"? - is loved among the children. I get the feeling the children in my care are no exception. I'll have to visit this location sometime in the future.

: Hey, lad, can you tell me about the Crude Sprawl?

: Bah! The most rottenest place ever! The soil breathes as though it could swallow you whole. A real bog! What could you possibly need in that place?

: Just tell me how to get there.

: It's simple! When they tell you to go to hell, just choose any direction; when you've found the worst place in the world, you'll be there! Ha ha ha!

I give him a stern look.

: Try to answer me once again, but this time be serious.

: Oh... Your eyes look scary. I'm sorry! It's in Earth. It's the southeastern-most district that borders the Abattoir. Its other end is connected to the cemetery.

: What about the Tanners district?

: A menacing place! It's the northwest cape of Earth, the backside of town. That's where The Rod, the Saburov's mansion, is. We don't play there. Alexander is not to be trifled with. You never know when his strict gaze turns on you...

: What's so bad about it?

: No one ever messes with the Saburovs! The wife - Katerina - is not only a witch, but a Mistress. I was too young to see any of the old Mistresses, Katerina is the last one...

: Shush, why are you shaking? I'm not make you go there. I just need to know about one more place. Tell me about the Skinners district.

: What is there to tell? It's just a district in Earth. It's north of the Termitary. Ah! Actually, a good friend of mine, Sticky, lives there! Sticky the Nuthatch. Do you know what a nuthatch is? It's a very sly snake!

Wait, Sticky? I ignore the fact that a nuthatch is actually a kind of bird, and not a snake, and ask him where Sticky lives.

: In a house on the bank of the Gorkhon River. It's actually tricky to find... Here I'll show you on your map.

There he is. Hopefully this lead goes somewhere.

A child lives here? This place is falling apart! Does he live all by himself?

I've searched high and low, but the child isn't home. Drat. I'll have to think of something else...

Maybe I can check out my father's house. There's bound to be some kind of evidence there.

poo poo, there's someone out front! He catches me before I can turn away.

: Well, well... What are you looking for, mate?

: Ah, and who are you, mate?

: A guard, mate. Ours is an unkind job, y'know. Guard what you're in charge of. Beat those who look suspicious to a pulp. And we've got fistloads, y'know, mate...

: Oh, you wouldn't mind telling me what you're guarding, would you? Maybe let me have a peek inside?

: No can do. The lock's pretty strong, you see, and the guys that are standing guard blocking off the Termitary have taken the key away. So - not possible.

: Blocking off the Termitary?

: They tried to break out. A restless lot, y'know.

: Tried to break out? Who did?

: None of your business, mate.

: Well why are you here, then?

: We're hunting down the killer. He looked like a bull dressed in raw hide. They say it's the son of the poor victim... And I'm starting to suspect it might be you, mate.

: Whoa, it's not me!!

He doesn't buy it for a second! I know I promised Vlad not to get into any more fights but...

: You saw it, it was self defense!!

Well, it's not like I can make my reputation much worse. Better go check out these guards stationed at the Termitary and see if I can get the key off of one of them.

: Who goes there! Freeze!

These guys don't even give me a chance. The instant they spot me they're on me.

It's starting to occur to me that I've been killing people to clear my name of murder. Hm... That said, the townspeople around here didn't really bat an eye at these two guards going down. I wonder why.

Well it was a pain in the rear end to get here, but hopefully something inside will help to clear my name. It's not like anyone else is going to be investigating in my favor.

What the?!

Why is my father's house infested with rats?! These vicious monsters have mean bites, too!

What... what on Earth happened here...

There's a child hiding up on a table, presumably so he wouldn't be bit by the rats.

: Whoa! Haven't seen you around here before. Are you a Termitary dweller or something?

: No. My name is Artemy Burakh.

: My name is Sticky.

Ah. So that's where he's been hiding.

For old timers, Sticky is formerly known as Spichka!

: Sticky, you need to get out of here.

: Hey, hey! Keep your hands off me! Don't you think anything funny, I didn't come here to steal or anything!

: So what are you doing here, then?

: Eh... I've spent the night here! Seen so much stuff...

: What? What did you see?

: Well, nothing to write home about, really... I spent most of the time hiding inside that wardrobe... Old Isidor walked around a bit at first, then he had a bunch of visitors. I've seen little, heard even less.

: Tell me about that little.

: Well, he just sat there brooding for a while. Rattled and fiddled with some stuff, poured some water or something. Then someone really heavy came in. Isidor opened the door without asking, even though he used to always ask... The guy seemed like a Steppe man to me, had a harsh, low voice. A butcher, I'd say. Then it all went quiet.

: What do you mean?

: I was just sitting there for two hours or so... but I wasn't sleeping! I thought that he did fall asleep though. Then I started to get out - and there he was, lying on the floor, all dead! I wasn't scared, but then I saw something that made me crawl straight back in again... Didn't quite get what I saw though.

: Speak up!!

: It was dark in there, you know. The light died out - it was the guards who turned it on again later. But before that, there was someone else here. Looked very much like a woman, or rather I got a feeling that it was a woman, but the silhouette was so... shapeless... more like a spirit, not a human.

: What are you talking about? What spirit?

: I'm telling you! That thing had a woman's head, but the body was crude, a lump of a body... and she made no sound... as if she were gliding, not walking. Then those guys came in, started stomping around, looking around. They said a Steppe creature was once again in the town, searching for food! A shabnak-adyr!

: Who is that? I think I've heard the word somewhere...

: Well... it's an evil spirit from the Steppe tales. Or at least that's what people say. Shabnak can refer to anything evil or inexplicable though.

: Okay, I get it.

: Murky and I had decided to watch him all night, after we found out he was back from the Steppe. I spied after him all the way to his house and then got in here. Before that, Murky had lost him at the Station, near Vlad the Younger's, though... You go ask her, she's probably sleeping now in her van.

: ... Where did they take the body?

: To the cemetery, perhaps. Ask Grace... But most likely he's been fed to the Earth. The guards come mostly from the Steppe too, and you know what kind of rites they've got there. They won't have the Earth waiting too long... not for a Warden.

: I see...

I don't even know what to call the feeling I have in the pit of my stomach. I don't even get to say goodbye to my father's corpse...

I stuff the feeling down, and grab Sticky off the table, letting him know it's safe to come out now. The rats are dead, the guards are gone. He thanks me and runs off.

Whatever happened in that house, it's anything but a simple case. Some brute of a Steppe man? Some shabnak-adyr? It's just one small piece of some greater picture that I'm not seeing yet.

Anyway, I think it's time to finally pay Grace another visit. Let's hope that man is still alive.

: Here, I brought the blood, even though it cost me quite a lot...

: You've done a very good deed. I'll do my best to tell everyone about it!

: Will they listen, though...?

: That was a close one, mate... Why didn't you finish me off?

: I did it for myself, not for you.

: The words of an honest man! How can I repay you? Do you need anything of mine?

: Tell me who sent you.

: Eh... It sort of... happened all by itself. Someone said that one of the rulers promised a reward for the killer... Dunno who it was, Kain or Fat Vlad maybe... So they sent us to keep watch. "He's gonna wait for the train," they said, "And when it comes - bam! - and he's out."

: Why beat up someone who was getting off the train, then?

: It was stupid of us... didn't work out all that well... Sorry, mate.

: Yeah. It didn't work out at all.

: Well is there anything else I can do for you, mate? Anything you need?

: Could you go and tell everyone that the man with my features...

: ... Is not the killer?

: Yes. I'm not the killer, I'm... their victim. Got it?

: That ain't hard at all! We'll spread the word all together. The truth'll be restored in no time!

: That's all I'm asking.

And really, is it too much to bloody ask?

: Grace, did you see my father, Isidor Burakh, yesterday?

: Oh, I did! I saw him return from the Steppe.

: Did you talk to him?

: No, but I followed him. He entered his house, and then I felt that he was anxious... desperate, even. He smelled of smoke. I didn't dare knock on the door, but peeked through the window.

: What did you see?

: I saw him take off his warm clothes, take them outside, and burn them. Then he wiped his body with cloth, threw it on the floor, and burnt it as well. Then he got dressed and left. I followed him. I tried to call out for him quietly, but he didn't hear me. He arrived at the Stone Yard and knocked on Simon's door. They let him in.

: And then?

: Then I went back. I stopped by at Murky's on my way to tell her old Isidor was back.

: Who exactly is this Murky?

: A girl. An orphan, like me. She lives in a carriage and doesn't really like to talk. I'll show you where she lives.

: Thank you, Grace.

A little girl lives out there by the Station? It's a good thing I took care of those ambushers, they could have killed her!

Poor girl, she lives all by herself in here?

Murky is formerly known as Mishka. It's important to note that in the old translation, Mishka and Spichka rhymed, implying a close bond between the two orphans. They carried that association over with Murky and Sticky's new names, only now the names sound more like childish nicknames young kids might have.

: I saw you.

: You saw me?

Perhaps she means when I got off the switch engine. Oh I hope she didn't see all that violence.

: I live here. See this van?

: Yes it's quite... cozy.

: You're so big...

: Murky, my name is Artemy. Tell me, did you go to my father - to Isidor yesterday?

: I did. Grace invited me to.

: When was that?

: All last night.

: So you didn't sleep?

: I didn't. I rarely sleep at night.

: What did you see?

: I saw him return home. He sat down and was just sitting for the longest time. Didn't move. Fell asleep most likely. Then I came back here. Saw you arrive.

: Ah... you saw my get off the train?

: I saw you get into a fight too. Then I hid myself and fell asleep.

So much for her not witnessing all of that. At least she doesn't seem frightened of me. That's a good thing.

: So you came back from my father's, and then I arrived... Did a lot of time pass between those two events?

: Yes. I had enough time to repair the mousetrap.

Finally! An alibi! Someone who actually saw me get off the train a long time after my father's death! Even if she's just a child, she's the best I've got.

: Will you tell what you've just told me to anyone else if I bring them here?

: I will.

: Thank you, Murky.

That's three witnesses piecing together a story of my father's movements.

First, Grace saw him come back from a trip in the Steppe. She followed him back to his house and saw him burn his clothes and wash his body - it sounds like a procedure to prevent disease. He went back out and visited Simon Kain that night.

Second, Grace told Murky that my father was back in town. Murky waited by Simon Kain's house until my father exited, and then followed him back to his house. Along the way she told Sticky to join her, and brash Sticky snuck into my father's house and hid himself in the wardrobe.

Though oddly that conflicts with Sticky's story, that Murky lost him near the station and Sticky followed him home...

Despite my soft spot for these kids, I'd be foolish to rely on their testimony alone to get me out of trouble. There's one last person who I believe can testify to my innocence.

My father moved past Young Vlad's house that night. It's a long shot, but maybe he saw something? At the very least, I know I have his support as a member of the Olgimsky family. I should meet with him and gather his thoughts on this whole mess.

What an odd shack. Is that a well in the middle of it?

This image is of a bull's anatomy, I think. I'm not too surprised he would have this, given his father's position in the meat industry in town.

He speaks up as soon as he notices me.

: I know who stands before me. You're Artemy Burakh, aren't you? How lucky. We are hoping to gain your support.

: How do you know me?

: Victoria told me. I am Vlad Olgimsky. Don't confuse me for my father, though. You can call me Vlad the Younger - until I become the eldest, anyway... I hope that won't happen any time soon. If you respected your father just as I respect mine, then I am truly sorry about your loss. We've been expecting you.

: Thank you.

: So Isidor has left you an inheritance. A questionable stroke of luck. He wasn't rich, I believe?

: Downright poor, I'd say. But it has nothing to do with my luck.

: I didn't mean the money. Knowing your esteemed father, I dare suggest that there's something else in his inheritance. It is a Burakh's legacy, after all. The family's ritualistic tradition implies mostly something of a less... material nature, doesn't it?

: How do you know that?

: It's a very small town. Get used to it. Except for those secrets that can cost someone their life, none remain secret for long. Something always seeps through. However, the traditions of the Steppe are kept under lock and key more firmly than others.

: I see...

: Speaking of tradition. I've always marveled at your Burakh's faithfulness to your duty. It seems to be sacred for all of you. Especially when it has to do with... debts. An oynon - a wise man - would never allow his dead to have outstanding debts.

: True. If that ever happens, the warden's kin is stripped of their right to possess secret knowledge. A haruspex whose conscience is guilty is no longer a haruspex. That's what I've been told.

: Exactly. You're not an expert on the local traditions though, are you? Even though you come from a native family? You were taken away when you were very young.

: You seem to know more than I do. How come?

: I'm just keen on the local lore.

: I mean my father's personal circumstances. How do you know what his inheritance contains?

: A simple analysis leads me to believe that you'll inherit something else - along with priceless knowledge, unique potions, and material possessions, of course. An obligation. A terrible one.

... Is he talking about taking care of the children?

: What kind of obligation?

: A risky obligation. A dangerous one... So, if I were you, I would think twice before accepting that inheritance - even though you're in a dire situation. You may find there's a venomous snake in that precious chest.

: No. I don't believe in avoiding obligations. And I won't ever leave my father beyond life's doorstep burdened with something I'm afraid to take on.

: So I thought... You are truly your father's son. And still... this weight could break your back.

: Do you know something that I don't, master Vlad?

: Only that this burden broke your father's back the day before. I don't believe in this maneater woman, I simply don't. And I've heard that he'd given an oath. An oath he swore on the honor of his family - and that means on your honor as well. That's why he had called upon you... not because he was about to die.

: Do you know that for sure?

: No. These are simply my fragmentary observations - I am quite observant, you know - and the following analysis that allows to wrap it all up into a single logical picture. This is my version of what had happened. I commend your principles and courage, but I also feel sorry for you. Think about it.

It is all rather messy and complicated, isn't it? My father's inheritance isn't one of fortune, but one of duty. I knew that much from the beginning. But part of me is cross with my father.

Ten years. I haven't seen his face, seen this town, in ten years, and I'm expected to take on his obligations that he failed to complete.

But I've known, since I was a child, that my blood ties me to this place. Running from it now would make me a coward and leave me without purpose.

: I thank you, but I have made up my mind already.

The information Vlad carried wasn't necessarily useful in clearing my name, but if people realize that perhaps I wouldn't even want the inheritance my father left me, they'll at least have to acknowledge that I had no reason to kill him. Despite what the children claimed to have seen, Vlad doesn't seem to believe in this shabnak-adyr. I'm not sure what to believe yet, but I have the feeling that this shabnak plays a key role in this story.

I've run all across town by now. It's starting to get late. I should try and find this bachelor, now that he's had time to investigate and hopefully cool his head. He was working for the Kains, right? They live in the Stone Yard, on the west side of town. Perhaps he's staying with them.

There it is, that looming tower where the children play - The Polyhedron. What a monstrosity...

I turn my attention away from it and ask around for directions to where Bachelor Dankovsky is staying.

I'm pointed in the direction of a mansion on the street.

: Don't you dare come near me, or I'll scream!

: Why? Are you scared of me?

: Very much so.

: I thought the Bachelor was staying here?

: Yes... He is...

: Then this is the place I was looking for.

She clearly wants me to get out, but I have business here. Uninvited or no, I'm seeing this Bachelor.

He speaks as soon as I poke my head in the room. He seems to recognize me, and what I've been through today.

: Far be it from me to call myself a person of mystical inclinations. However, when I look at you, I get the feeling that nature is playing jokes on us. It's as if the left and the right hand have clutched the head to realize for the first time that they are two parts of a single whole.

: I get that feeling too... Does this mean that we are alike?

: I don't know. We can become enemies so easily, Artemy Burakh, that it would be best for us to make every possible effort to stay friends until our points of view diverge irreparably. I am Bachelor Dankovsky. Do you agree with me?

: Better a bad peace than a good quarrel.

: So here you are... until recently, you've been thought to have murdered Simon Kain, fifteen other men whose names I'd be damned to remember, and Isidor Burakh, your own father. Is that correct?

: It seems that I'm still thought to have done all that.

: Not by everyone. I'm working on restoring your good name.

: That's a surprise...

A pleasant one, but a surprise nonetheless.

: I've been hunting you all day, and just as I was about to finally catch you, I've found out you're innocent of Simon's - and by extension, Isidor's - deaths.

: And how do you know that?

: Simon died of a contagious disease. It's been firmly established. A new strain of scarlet fever or pneumonic plague, most likely; or perhaps cholera. And that means you're clear of charges... for what it's worth. And it's not worth much.

: I don't know about you, but being clear of suspicion is worth quite a lot to me. I hope the townsfolk will gradually accept the fact that the face of the monster isn't mine.

: That monster has no face at all. But I really doubt the townsfolk will ever accept that.

: That's a shame.

: Let's wait until tomorrow to speak more of this, then. Go ahead and finish taking care of your affairs.

: An hour in the morning is worth two in the evening.

Every finished day - the clock striking midnight - clears out all of your quests whether you completed them or not. If I'm not mistaken, failing the quests on the first day results in a Game Over. Subsequent days, however, it does not - it just makes winning the game harder and harder and, in many cases, impossible. It's a curious gameplay mechanic that's more popular in Russian games; Ice-Pick Lodge carried over that sort of mechanic to Knock-Knock as well, where you can fail-state yourself if you're not careful. This is why it's a good idea to save very often.

On a happier note, we now have a new pantomime at the Theatre to check out! If you recall, one of the children mentioned they put on strange performances there at night involving the Masks. Let's go catch one now!

Oh, well doesn't this place look familiar?

I'll ask him when the show is going to start.

: Please, allow me to introduce myself! I am Mark Immortell, the impresario of the Theatre and master of puppets. Would the kind sir like to see the mime show?

: Yes, I would.

: Wait for the announcement! It will begin soon.

: How are you planning to impress me, impresario?

: Oh, you will also have a role there. A major one, kind sir.

: I'd rather just watch...

Sure enough, the play begins shortly after.

***CLIP 4: THE FIRST PANTOMIME***

What an... odd performance. I don't know if I quite understood it.

---

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

Our protagonist, a surgeon and a holy man who's coming home after ten years of absence to claim his inheritance. But what exactly does that inheritance entail?

Victoria "Capella" Olgimsky Jr.
The daughter of Big Vlad Olgimsky, she has bleak visions of the future.

Sticky (Formerly known as Spichka)
An orphan boy who lives all by himself. He was hiding in Artemy's father's house the night of his murder.

The young caretaker of the graveyard. She saw Artemy's father burn his clothes the night of his murder.

Murky (Formerly known as Mishka)
An orphan girl who lives in a boxcar. She, or Sticky, was the last person to see Artemy's father alive.

Vladislav "Vlad the Younger" Olgimsky Jr.
The son of Big Vlad Olgimsky, he seems to be very studious of the local lore and of Artemy's family.

Eva Yahn
A rich woman who lives in Stone Yard. The Bachelor is her guest.

The Bachelor: Daniil Dankovsky
A bachelor of medicine who comes from far away. He's in charge of investigating Simon Kain's death.

Mark Immortell
The owner of the town Theatre, he puts on bizarre shows every night.

meowtroid fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 26, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
This translation is way more comprehensible than the old one. I liked some lines from the old one though, even if they did sound really weird. I hope when the time comes they keep those the same.

How's the combat going? Is it really hard? Are backstabs new or were they in the original version as well?

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 25, 2016

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Do you ever actually run into the Changeling? I'm curious to see how that would go

meowtroid
Jul 5, 2016

The Meowtroid Prime

Cathode Raymond posted:

This translation is way more comprehensible than the old one. I liked some lines from the old one though, even if they did sound really weird. I hope when the time comes they keep those the same.

How's the combat going? Is it really hard? Are backstabs new or were they in the original version as well?

I feel the same way about some of the old lines so, where I can, I try to maintain those ones that I remember. For instance, in the opening pantomime with the 3 protags, I maintained Artemy's line "Will can make any choice the right one." The line had been re-translated to "Any choice is correct so long as it's willed" which I didn't like as much because it was less direct in tone (using a passive voice rather than an active voice) and it was also a bit less clear in its meaning.

The combat isn't hard so much as it is really clunky. Quicksaves trivialize fights, because whenever things aren't going your way (taking too much damage or using too much ammunition or whatnot) you can just reload to a moment earlier and retry. It's not like in a game like Rule of Rose where the combat is so difficult and so forced that it's actually extremely frustrating. As for backstabs, they were in the original too, yep! The combat hasn't been changed in the slightest as far as I can tell. You can only perform backstabs with knives, I think? You can also use scalpels as a weapon, and I believe they don't do backstabs, but they do more damage overall and don't dull as quickly. (Also yes, weapons have durability! It's something I might address later if I want to do a more comprehensive update about the many systems in Pathologic.)

Shirec posted:

Do you ever actually run into the Changeling? I'm curious to see how that would go

You do run into the Changeling! Just not nearly as much as the Bachelor. Artemy and Daniil working together is a big part of their stories - in Daniil's campaign you'll be making regular visits to Artemy instead of vice versa. The Changeling shows up in both campaigns here and there - and there's some interesting stuff going on with that that we'll get to later. But for the most part, she does her own thing.

This is because her goals are so tangential to Artemy and Daniil that she's off doing very different things, interacting with very different people; it almost seems like she's not doing ANYTHING worthwhile in the Haruspex and Bachelor campaign! But of course if you play her you find out she's getting quite a lot done in the background.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You know this cryptic "you know not what poo poo you're in" would normally annoy me, but it sort of works in Pathologic. Partly because I suppose everything in the game is about that unhelpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
You've got a typo: "He won't ever car for gossip and slander if he comes to love and respect you."

Also I am really enjoying this. I have heard a lot about this game and am happy to finally see it.

• Locked thread