Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
He's not actually a hobo; that just made for a better title. I think he lives in one of the not-terribly-nice buildings near where he approached me.

I heard somebody yelling behind me, so I turned around. There was a thin, older (than me, but not old) black guy waving at me. He walked up, making placating gestures with his hands, and smiling and bobbing his head. I didn't know what he wanted, until he held out some pieces of paper, and said he suffers from dementia, and he tries to earn money selling his artwork on the street. He showed me the three pieces he had, and repeated he was trying to get a little money for him. I asked how much "a little" was. He waffled a bit, then I asked how much for all three. He looked stunned, and a little nervous. He took two steps back, and pulled the drawings in close to himself. "Are you serious?" He looked like he thought I was loving with him, or like he thought I was going to attack him.

The man though about my question for a while, looking up, and blinking. He hesitantly said, "Twelve. Three dollars each." Note that this is wrong. Maybe he thought there were four pieces, or maybe he meant to say four dollars each. Maybe I misheard him. He looked like he thought he was asking for the moon. Anyway, I offered him $20, and he was thrilled. His breath might have smelled a tiny bit of alcohol.

I got two Alis, and a Jesus. I think I did alright.

The writing says, "If Muhammad Ali had to box Superman, no one would have liked it."

This one is especially apropos, since I chased a drunk driver who slammed into an oncoming vehicle, last night.

The condition of the drawings is apparently from his home flooding during the rain we recently had.

After I paid him, he said he was going to go straight to the library, and "draw them, again." I told him not to draw them again, but to draw new ones, and to come find me if he draws any more Muhammad Alis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

jackyl posted:

he told u $12 and u offered $20?

congrats on your financial acumen op

I was pretty sure the street art sketch artist with dementia hustling pictures for nickels didn't have change.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

jeff smisek posted:

Thought u were poor or something??? Anyways, sick art op

I was poor. I am no longer poor, although I am not swimming in money. I can afford a one-time $20 expenditure. If he had wanted $30, I would have had to pass.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

scribblings that some drug addict sold you do not count as outsider art

It explicitly does.

Luvcow posted:

frame them

I may very well do that.

captainoblivious posted:

The superman one is pretty great.

It is. I also like the Jesus one. The other want I bought just to keep the collection intact.

extra stout posted:

i sort of feel like you're a better person than i am and then i sort of wonder if he'll commit his greatest crime ever while hosed up out of his mind using your 20 dollars very efficiently

I suspect his greatest crimes may be against his liver.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

JakeP posted:

grats on buying some crack or heroin for a homeless person OP

If he's a heroin addict, it's still a new habit. He didn't have the signs. Anyway, the crack isn't going to buy itself.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

no, its hobo scriblling. Outsider art has to have an audience.

First of all, no, it doesn't. Art produced and hidden in some nobody's attic for fifty years is still outsider art. Have a quote from the ultimate authority on everything:

quote:

a label created by French artist Jean Dubuffet to describe art created outside the boundaries of official culture; Dubuffet focused particularly on art by those on the outside of the established art scene, such as psychiatric hospital patients and children

Second of all, it has an audience. I bought it. I posted it, here, and other people viewed and commented on it. It is now more successful and widely seen that 99.9% of all art ever produced.

Edit:

nomadologique posted:

did you draw these op and try to pass tehem off as the work of a demetia sufferer?

Nope. The story is 100% true.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

satanic splash-back posted:

ask him to get some color in those things!

I was actually thinking about buying some colored pencils to give to him next time I see him. True story. That occurred to me as I was creating this thread.

jackyl posted:

I dunno what outsider art even means, apparently it means a mentally ill dude writes some poo poo in a napkin under a bridge and tries to sell it for $12 but another mentally ill dude gives him $20 for it while they are both outside

This is essentially correct.

Iron Prince posted:

WHATS HIS FUCKIN NAME OP

He signed the pictures.

Sunswipe posted:

Buy him some coloured pencils so he can do this.

Apparently we're all on the same page with this.

criscodisco posted:

Why does Superman have Tawny Kitain hair?

I'm not sure, but I am almost certain that particular Superman is black, and not just black, but modeled after a particular black actor whose name I can't quite dig up.

Edit: Or it could just be coincidence, and some superficial resemblance to someone making my facial* recognition go haywire.

* Let it go, criscodisco.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

im gaye posted:

heres some for free op

with narration

god bless

[video type="youtube"]/watch?list=PL8A41A56776361B87&v=zBqrr_BiUAY[/video]

You pasted poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

AugmentedVision posted:

how do you "buy" something from yourself? Is this some kind of tax dodging scheme?

I didn't, though. I bought it from someone else, although everyone pretends they didn't see him and I was talking to myself, but that's just a funny joke ha ha.

That dude's "about' page makes me sad. "Please stop loving with me, I'm just trying not to lapse back into life-destroying addiction."

• Locked thread