Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

JT Jag posted:

I like games that kinda examine people and relationships within the context of an odd setting, so I'll give this a chance. I don't think the game means for you to sympathize with the weirdos you serve booze to, or endorse the poo poo that comes out of their mouths, I think it's just a recognition that everyone is flawed and this is the sort of poo poo bartenders deal with even in the dark cyberpunk future.

I can probably tolerate a minimalistic game like this more because I'm a VN fan. This isn't Papers Please, it's a visual novel where you pick your dialogue tree based on what booze you serve.

Which is fair.

But if theres that much focus on dialogue, then a better job needed to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Anoia posted:

That does sound better.

I tend to eat up anything that says cyberpunk on the tin, but goddamn the offerings have been disappointing. Mostly because they tend to wedge in a fourteen year old's idea of edgy depictions of drugs, prostitution, and corporate corruption without any nuance or subtlety.

Valhalla isn't any different.

Cyberpunk is best when it takes those as the basic nature of the world and doesn't try to explore them at all.
That's how it is, nothing can change it (except cataclysmic paradigm shifts). Rather than exploring the setting it's best to explore the characters in it.

It's the descriptive vs inferential approach.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Anoia posted:

Real or fake Ice-T SVU quote is a fun game to play.

Yeah

This game

I want it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Really Pants posted:

What will goons compare this game to next?

A) The Shawshank Redemption
B) The Holy Bible
C) Humans' first use of fire

You're getting too salty about this Anime VN for nerds.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

IMO if you're going to tackle uncomfortable subjects head on, dont let the uncomfortableness level dip until you've finished addressing it. If you do relent you'd risk muddling your message about it. Which this game quite utterly fails at. It tries to be parody yet wants you to take it seriously enough to connect, then nosedives right back down into parodic scenes and shallow characters, it doesn't fully commit. Parody can be a tool for the exploration of certain subjects, but that's it, a tool. Not the key. And The message doesn't even have to be anything deep or profound, just consistently delivered.

[e] Though christ dorothy is most definitely not the way to address that sorta thing.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 24, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Y-Hat posted:

Et tu, Donovan? I hope he talks more about the newspaper business next episode instead of about robot nipples.

Also, gently caress Dorothy. Again.

It looks like she exists just to have a catgirl in this game. They really didn't think through the explanation of how becoming one is an antidote to a nanomachine allergy at birth, but I don't think they wanted to either.

Phrasing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

On the other side of the pacific:
The Booth at the End.: Exclusively character driven series. Mysterious man offers the people who find him anything they want, in exchange for a certain task. Episodes are almost entirely conversations between the Man and the people who sought him out.

Not exactly Bartender and his clients, but sets a standard for it's style of narrative and storytelling that should be aspired to.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 29, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

If only the white knights existed then I'd completely overlook anything by instinct because this is cyberpunk and corrupt police forces are an absolute pillar of the setting.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Skippy Granola posted:

Oh I get it, it's just meant to be edgy and off-putting to make you think, maaaaan.

Kinda like that neo nazi cum trekkie Shadowrun prison gang I invented called the Fourth Rikers.

Phrasing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

EponymousMrYar posted:

handles an uncomfortable idea (pre-emancipation racism and segregation) better than this game handles it's uncomfortable idea.

B:I doesn't handle much of it's anything very well. At best I thought it was inoffensive and straightforward.
Which isn't damning of B:I, it's that this game is worse than an unadventurous, milquetoast AAA game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

EponymousMrYar posted:

Inoffensive, straightforward, and portrayed with negative implications. It doesn't attempt to dress it up as something it wasn't.

That's about as good as you can get with unpleasant ideas short of writing another 'Old Tom's Cabin.'

It suffers from what I've posted about before: Lack of commitment. It wants to tackle racism, and segregation, but then uses it as a hammer to further vilify the already visibly evil antagonists. And the rebels fighting for equal rights? They're just as bloodthirsty and bad as the original villains! There was no nuance in how they handled any of their topics.

Which brings me to another point:
Theme and subject are no substitute for good writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm afraid I don't know what that one is.

M4-K MU2!KA GR8 AG1N

• Locked thread