Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smappdi
Oct 12, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl6U93ZG0FU
her name is megamanNina and there's also zeroAce

Capcom has pretty much decided to not make any more decent Mega Man games, and I'm not even going to go into the whole Mighty No. 9 thing
So there's kind of a niche to fill for Mega Man, and this game is it. Currently in early access (I know, but it's almost complete; as of this post it's version 0.956b) but there's constant updates adding new content, and even a countdown timer on the start screen letting you know when the updates are going live.

What's here is really fantastic and a must play for any fan of classic platforming. Procedurally generated levels means you'll notice similar chunks of levels but never play the same stage twice. Powerups that affect your stats will stack indefinitely, which leads to exciting gamebreaking syngergies which the developers encourage people to find. After defeating a boss, you have a choice of taking that boss' power, a stack of the game's currency, or a low level powerup before heading to the next stage. Beat the stage quickly enough, and there'll be an extra reward waiting for you. There's no story but who gives a poo poo, just run jump shoot motherfucker

The game features co-op too, and the local co-op is excellent but the internet multiplayer is still kinda wonky. It's one of the things being worked on in the next update however. Right now the game costs $12 while it's still in Early Access, and the full release will cost $15

instead of shamelessly copying someone's work detailing all of the boss strategies and items I'm going to go ahead and link these excellent guides gonna wrap this post up with some fan art

Smappdi fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smappdi
Oct 12, 2004

in before roguelike vs roguelite argument

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
This game is really good and feature complete and definitely worth your money if you at all like Mega Man or good platformers in general.

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt
This game is great for anyone who was a fan of Mega Man X, it really nails the controls of those games. Plus it offers the best local co-op experience I've had since Spelunky, although this goes in the opposite direction with regard to how it handles fitting both players on the screen. I'm not really crazy about the art style, in fact I'd say it's the weakest aspect of the game since while the rest of the game is continuing to advance I don't see a complete overhaul of the art style ever happening. Still that's a pretty small complaint for how much fun the game is.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
This game has a really very good control-feel. It's going for Megaman X 1-4, and nails it.

The developer did some really ingenious stuff with the procedural level generation, a lot of the time it comes out better than the hand-made capcom megaman stuff ever did. It does something like generate a few possible 'intended paths,' and then spawn a bunch of floating/moving/disappearing platforms and wall lasers and poo poo around that path, where a tightly timed series of jumps is always possible and sometimes you can find risky shortcuts. Also things will shoot at you during it.

They have disappearing block jumping segments, but there's a phantom block and some visual cues to let you know when the next shift is going to happen.

Right now the difficulty progression is kind of frustrating. It starts out very easy, and rapidly gets very hard. When I die on a very hard spot, I would rather get right back in to something similar to try it again, and not have to take a long stroll through another run's first two levels of robot candy land before getting to the interesting part again.

I have a hard time getting over how bad the main characters look. Tie your stupid anime hair up in that helmet, ffs.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I would bet the hair is there to be a talking point for legal if they get sued for copying Mega Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smappdi
Oct 12, 2004

agree with you guys 100%: the game is great, the controls are incredibly tight, and the art style is wonky as hell
I chalk it up to being sorta kinda unfinished and still in early access but yeah, the art is not a big selling factor for this game; it's that the game is fun and even more fun with someone else in the room with you. the big face boss, for example, is pretty terrible looking model but an interesting fight, even more so on the later levels when there's even more crazy poo poo flying on the screen

StringOfLetters posted:

Right now the difficulty progression is kind of frustrating. It starts out very easy, and rapidly gets very hard. When I die on a very hard spot, I would rather get right back in to something similar to try it again, and not have to take a long stroll through another run's first two levels of robot candy land before getting to the interesting part again.

I think that having pits not instantly kill you is a nice enough trade off and it seems the devs kind of agree with you on this, since every other patch they make one level slightly longer and another slightly shorter to tweak with the difficulty

personally I don't mind that the eight bosses share four palette swapped stages, but I wish that each stage had at least a different remix of the music or something to differentiate the two stages

• Locked thread