Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
You know, given how many different supernatural entities we're wooing, I'd kinda like to know if they all get along, or if any of them are jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

We're actually pretty light on answering to gods as yet, even for this early in a Something Awful CYOA.

EDIT: Note that this isn't a complaint; obviously there's going to be some supernatural elements because farming game CYOA, but there's other CYOAs if we want to spark multi-pantheon royal rumbles for fun and profit.

EDIT: v v v Noted. Amending my vote to DGT.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 29, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

A reminder for everyone to change upgrade their vote to:

Nyaa posted:

D. Elevated Stone Chicken Castle with mini Nymph Shrine

LLSix posted:

Sure. If it's the winning vote.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nyaa posted:

D. Elevated Stone Chicken Castle with mini Nymph Shrine

Vote upgraded

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

tie between c & plan Nyaa for what kind of chicken coop.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

You spend the morning milking your goats and making a flower wand for the large nymph shrine in your house. When you place the wand before the shrine you experience a slight sense of satisfaction.

The carpenter's workshop is easy to identify. It is also notably shorter than the other buildings around it, although it has the same number of stories (2). You have to duck your head to get through the door as it is only one and half meters tall.

When you open the door and step into the shop a bell rings just over your heard. Closing the door behind you, you are immersed in the scent of seasoned wood. It smells a lot like a fire just before it's lit. The rich scents of many kinds of wood fill the space and a thick haze of sawdust turns the light a golden brown as it spills in the windows. When the owner trundles into sight; his head is bent over a piece of black walnut wood. He's murmuring to it and stroking it with his free hand, as if it were a treasured family pet. He is so focused on the wood that he nearly bumps into you.

"Hey there!" He speaks with an almost incomprehensible accent that you can't place. As you strain to understand what he's saying you realize you're staring down at him. Not an experience you're used to. He is just barely over a meter tall and if he were not so wide and heavily muscled you might mistake him for a child. "What can I do for you? Here for a new chest or shelf or perhaps a barn?"

When you explain that you want to purchase shutters for your house he tells you it will cost "5 crowns. No, wait, blasted fool coinage, 30 drachma. Actually 25 because I like your face. Call it a new customer discount. I'll even hang 'em for you if you want. I'm powerfully curious about what Theios was hiding so its a fair deal." You remember that you just read a letter from your uncle urging you to protect the privacy of your house, and not even Arianna has seen the inside of the tower and Theios' study yet. Then again, you need to start working in the fields soon and hanging the shutters properly will not be a quick chore, nor one you are experienced with.
The price is fair.

1) Do you buy new shutters?
A. Yes
B. No
write in

2) Do you let Kargosi hang them for you?
E. Yes
F. No, I will hang them myself.
write in

3) Is there anything else you want to ask or purchase?
write in

You still have a little time today, what would you like to do with it? You noticed a sign indicating a bath house while you looked for the carpenter's shop. The center of the village is close to the sea shore so you still have time to explore that if you want but you probably do not have time to investigate the forest.
4) What do you next?
N. I want to meet my neighbor to the West, a farmer named Hermachus according to Arianna.
O. I want to explore the sea shore on the North side of the village.
P. I want to decide what crops to plant for the coming year. This option will unlock the option to timeskip forward a year
Q. I want to take Discortius up on his offer and learn more about my uncle
R. I want to visit the blacksmith
S. I want to visit the bath house
write in

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
EAQ and I will upgrade to plan Nyaa. Mostly I feel elevation is important for discouraging predators.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

1A
2F
3. Bag of holding II.
4.O

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Voting AEN

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
A

E
but since the windows are limited in scope we should ask him not to get into the rest of the house yet. We can make some excuse about the rest of the house being a wreck.

O because if Stardew Valley has taught me anything, it's the importance of fishing.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

AFQ

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

elise the great posted:

A

E
but since the windows are limited in scope we should ask him not to get into the rest of the house yet. We can make some excuse about the rest of the house being a wreck.

O because if Stardew Valley has taught me anything, it's the importance of fishing.

Study in the tower has 2 windows. Do you just want the other windows hung and you do the two in the study?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Oh shoot. I didn't see those. Ummmm... Let's just let him hang the drat things, if he unearths anything then we can learn about it and if he doesn't he can tell the locals we aren't a huge weirdo.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

elise the great posted:

Oh shoot. I didn't see those. Ummmm... Let's just let him hang the drat things, if he unearths anything then we can learn about it and if he doesn't he can tell the locals we aren't a huge weirdo.
Or we could end up burning on a cross for being a witch.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Uhhhh. Are we in a pre- or post-Christian society? Are there crosses? Are there witches? Wouldn't a witch-burning society have broiled our dear departed uncle for being a weird shut-in already? IS THAT HOW HE DIED

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I think that it's safe to assume people would find certain portions of the home deeply weird or disturbing, or at least a huge departure from cultural norms, based on Arianna's reaction to just some of the house. We probably won't get lynched but it's clear that something abnormal is happening and it's probably good for our public image if we don't let word of it spread too much.

1 A
2 F
None at this time, we might need something more later if we find out a tool we need is missing or broken.
4 Q let's see what the old man was like.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

elise the great posted:

Uhhhh. Are we in a pre- or post-Christian society? Are there crosses? Are there witches? Wouldn't a witch-burning society have broiled our dear departed uncle for being a weird shut-in already? IS THAT HOW HE DIED

Ellinean culture is not traditionally religious. It does not worship any gods. Instead it roots its ethics in philosophical systems aimed at allowing their followers to achieve happiness. The principle virtues of your society are moderation, wisdom, courage, and generosity. Your parents especially stressed the need for generosity and moderation so as to have a buffer when the rain or the sun or the soil didn't co-operate, which happened several times as you were growing up.

Burning someone alive is a punishment used in Ellinean culture, but you've never seen it done. It is virtually unheard of outside the big cities and reserved for serious crimes. You are not likely be burned alive but having a giant Nymph shrine like the one in your house would be seen as unwise (wisdom is one of the cornerstone virtues). You also have several times as many scrolls as your parents who were fairly prosperous. This is noteworthy and will get talked about if people learn about it.

Olothreutes posted:

I think that it's safe to assume people would find certain portions of the home deeply weird or disturbing, or at least a huge departure from cultural norms, based on Arianna's reaction to just some of the house. We probably won't get lynched but it's clear that something abnormal is happening and it's probably good for our public image if we don't let word of it spread too much.
Yep.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

AFQ

LLSix: You said our farming equipment could use repairs. Are they likely to fail if they aren't repaired? We've still got quite some money left but we need something to plant and a steady supply of goat chow.

Larien
Jan 13, 2014
AFQ

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

AFQ

LLSix: You said our farming equipment could use repairs. Are they likely to fail if they aren't repaired? We've still got quite some money left but we need something to plant and a steady supply of goat chow.

You can work your farm without repairing them. Tools are pretty crude. Your plow (or ard if you prefer) for example looks like this:

You can repair and even make crude versions of any tool you need, but investing in good tools or even getting the current ones repaired will let you spend more time on other activities that aren't farming and/or clear more acres and/or handle more labor intensive crops.

So basically just like any Harvest Moon game. You can get by with your starter tools but better tools will save you time and open up more options. The blacksmith provides better tools.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 30, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Upgrade watercan. Watering is the most time consuming thing.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

You have an elevated chicken coop. It looks like this but sits a good meter up off on the ground on stone pillars. Chiseled into the NE corner is a tiny shrine to an earth nymph. There is a wooden ramp leading up to the door. The ramp is shallow enough for chickens to be able to climb it easily and sturdy enough to not flex when you stand on it. When you notice the shrine you make another flower offering. Wild flowers are getting harder to find, and you remind yourself to start growing some of your own soon.

You pay Kargosi Tackletrunk to make you shutters for your windows but tell him you will install the shutters yourself. He seems to approve of your choice and replies: "So you are going to follow in Theios' footsteps then? It is good to stick to your family traditions. Should they seem ever so strange to others. Traditions are how your ancestors have survived and they'll mean survival for you. More of you Ellineans could stand to remember that. You remind me of my daughter that way. You are welcome to visit anytime if you want to learn more about the golden heart of wood. I am still curious about what he is hiding. Let me know if you need any other work done."

The shutters will be done in a week. You can pick them up then and not before." (-25 drachma.)

You make your way over to Discortius' inn. It looks like he just finished sweeping and is in the process of taking the chairs off the tables and putting them back in order when you arrive. Looking up to greet you he manages to put the chair down right on top of his foot. Cursing he jerks his foot out from under the chair, which topples the chair over and makes him curse louder.

Just then a young man about your age walks in the back door with two large buckets of water hanging from a pole slung across his shoulders. He has an open, honest face, although just now it is creased with concern. A smile flickers across Discortius' face almost too quickly to notice. "Good timing Garric. Take care of this while I serve our guest." Garric looks at you curiously but doesn't interrupt as Discortius leads you to the bar. "Here for a meal and that word of your uncle that I promised?" He ladels out equal portions of water and wine into a pair of cups but pointedly doesn't hand you a cup until you put down a drachma on the bar to pay for it. "Garric, when you finish with the chairs, fix our guest a plate and bring it out. I'll be busy here for a bit."

"Where to start then. Theios was as wise and learned a man as I have ever met. He could plan for the future in a way few men can. He always seemed to have the right tool for the job and was always on hand for any trouble. Not that we have trouble here often, but he was the one who found the Iliopoulos boy when he got lost. That was the year before the wildling moved in and it was a strange business. Theios came into village to get his hoe repaired by the blacksmith and the Iliopoulos parents were shouting about if anyone had seen the boy. Your uncle didn't say a word, just turned right back around and headed towards the woods. In hardly any longer than it would have taken him to walk there and back he returned with the boy. Cursed if I know how he did it. Iliopouloses were so happy to have their son back they threw a feast that night; your uncle attended as guest of honor but insisted he'd just gotten lucky."

"There was one other incident that I'll not forget as long as I live. One bright summer day, as hot as any I can recall, with not a cloud in the sky; Theios came down and warned all of us that live close by the sea. Said there was a big storm coming the next day. Said we should close our shutters and prepare as best we could for waves waist high cresting over our homes though no one remembers waves coming half that far inland before or since. I spent that day and night moving everything upstairs. Even closed the inn. Those of us who listened to him and prepared came through okay. I was cleaning sea mud and crabs out of here for a week but that was nothing compared to those who ignored his warning."

"That's the kind of man your uncle was. Theios was always ready and able to help someone if they were in trouble, but rarely spoke and even more rarely offered his advice but only fools failed to listen when he spoke. Last few years he'd come into the inn a couple of times a moon to drink a cup of mead or two. He once told me he liked to listen to Ellinean's talk, but he rarely said a thing himself. The whole village turned out to bury him. He'll be sorely missed."

"You look like him you know. Especially your hands. He had the same long dexterous fingers as you. Flexible and capable, a rare combination."

Looking around you realize it has gotten late. It seems like half the village is here having dinner, although there is a bit of clear space around the bar to give you some privacy. Garric and a young woman about the same age, probably Discortius' daughter, are kept busy bringing out food and drink.

1) Is there anything else you'd like to ask Discortius?
write in

You estimate that you can probably spare one more day familiarizing yourself with the village before spending any more time away from your field will start reducing your crop yields.
2) What do you want to do tomorrow
A. I want to meet my neighbor to the West, a farmer named Hermachus according to Arianna.
B. I want to explore the sea shore on the North side of the village.
C. I want to decide what crops to plant for the coming year. This choice will unlock the option to timeskip forward a year.
D. I want to explore the forest to the East.
E. I want to visit the blacksmith. The blacksmith can repair your tools, and sell you better ones but you don't have much money to spare this year.
F. I want to visit the bath house.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

1. Tell me about Hermachus, sea shore on the North side of the village, forest to the East, The blacksmith, and the bath house.
2D

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
2: f, for maximum anime

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Nyaa is playing to win guys

What they said, except I still wanna see the ocean.

When we start croppin', is all our time basically consumed from that point on, or will we be able to reserve some time and energy to keep exploring?

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Not going to ask this aloud, but is this guy single?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

elise the great posted:

Nyaa is playing to win guys
WE MUST PREPARE! BEFORE THE BLACKSMITH COME AT NIGHT TO STRANGLE US! BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE! :burger:

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

What did my Uncle grow? I might have missed this.

2.A we really should see our neighbor soon.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nyaa posted:

1. Tell me about Hermachus, sea shore on the North side of the village, forest to the East, The blacksmith, and the bath house.
2D

"Hermachus is a wise man and a keen philosopher. Theios and him would have had much in common."

"The sea shore is much like any sea shore I imagine." Discortius sounds puzzled that you'd ask and frowns fiercely. "The fishermen leave before sunup and return late."

"The forest is a dangerous place. Once people gathered nuts and berries from it but now there is a wild man living in it. Stick to the edges of the forest and he will not bother you but you should not wander far inside."

"The blacksmith? You haven't seen him about farming tools yet?" Discortius frowns. "Don't let his looks bother you, he's reliable. Made every candle holder in the place and most tools in the village besides."

"The bath house is a luxury for a small town like this. It is good to be able to direct guests to it, but I do wish the owner was quieter. That's the truth."

elise the great posted:

When we start croppin', is all our time basically consumed from that point on, or will we be able to reserve some time and energy to keep exploring?
You'll have some free time. There'll be a vote when we get to it to decide what you want to do with it.

Toughy posted:

What did my Uncle grow? I might have missed this.
You're going to get to vote on that as part of the crop post. Good show noticing that though. I've been careful not to say yet so that whatever you vote in will be consist with the earlier posts.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 31, 2016

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

and I agree with Elise. We've been busy since we got here. TO THE BEACH

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Discortius has a son and a daughter about your age. He does not have a wife. So... yes, he's single and probably in his 30s at least. Sorry I missed this question earlier.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

that's good too, but I was wondering also about his son because holy cats he's hot

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Oh man I love both Harvest Moon and Stardew, and the Harvest Moon LP on SA was pretty hilarious reading. I'm definitely getting in on this. 2. E What the hell kind of farmer am I supposed to be if I don't have any goddamn working tools. Get on it ASAP and plant/hoe while you've got the weather.

Wait also ask him if he knows anyone we can buy a laying hen or two from/what happened to Theios' chickens. We have a coop but I haven't heard anything about any chickens. The feathery little bastards don't tend to wander far from home so if we haven't found them yet they're either eaten or taken by someone else.

RIP Cumfartz, you were always the best chicken.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

cat_herder posted:

that's good too, but I was wondering also about his son because holy cats he's hot

Yes.

Puppies are dicks posted:

Oh man I love both Harvest Moon and Stardew, and the Harvest Moon LP on SA was pretty hilarious reading. I'm definitely getting in on this. 2. E What the hell kind of farmer am I supposed to be if I don't have any goddamn working tools. Get on it ASAP and plant/hoe while you've got the weather.

Wait also ask him if he knows anyone we can buy a laying hen or two from/what happened to Theios' chickens. We have a coop but I haven't heard anything about any chickens. The feathery little bastards don't tend to wander far from home so if we haven't found them yet they're either eaten or taken by someone else.

RIP Cumfartz, you were always the best chicken.

"You should ask your neighbors what happened to your chickens, I'm just a humble innkeeper. The wildling in the forest might have eaten them.

If you want to buy new chickens most people have a few. Goliath will know who to get the best chickens from."

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

We have to remember that goats are lower class food and shouldn't be eaten, because we love their little hoofsie-woofsies.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Olothreutes posted:

We have to remember that goats are lower class food and shouldn't be eaten, because we love their little hoofsie-woofsies.

If we have any problem with pork let's try eating a rock or a flute

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Any further references to a five thousand page CYOA will drive Sir Unimaginative from reason.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Any further references to a five thousand page CYOA will drive Sir Unimaginative from reason.

Good thing it's only about three thousand pages :v:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Olothreutes posted:

Good thing it's only about three thousand pages :v:

[gif-dr.tyson-badass]

Anyway, A. We can get to town again a few times during the growing season, but we're going to be busy on the farm with what Uncle was working on even when we're not doing much growing, and talking to Theios' old discourse sparring partner might give us a head start. Although I have no idea what we'd use as a visiting gift at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Yeah, we're starting to run low on presents. Might want to change that somehow. Net a hella nice fish and bring it, maybe?

I agree we should probably start cultivating/maintaining what's already growing. How are we for irrigation? I don't suppose acequias are in use on a Mediterranean island, but if there's a similar system, we should also bring presents to the mayordomo. I saw that there's a spring not too far away, but has the weather/overuse affected the wells in the area? This is crucial in deciding what we can actually grow.

• Locked thread