Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Phoneposting so this may not be perfect.

Problem description:
I left my computer (just under 2 months old) on last night and when I came home from work today it was off. When I tried to start it up, nothing happened. I looked in the case while it was on and the "ez-debug" LED for the cpu was lit up red. The other two LEDs (dram and gpu) were off. When I power on the machine the fans spin, and the LED comes on but that's it.

Attempted fixes:
After some googling I tried moving the RAM around just to see if that was it, no. I removed the CMOS battery, gave it a minute, popped it back in, nothing. I've verified the connections are good, made sure there wasn't a freak lightning storm.

Recent changes:

Nothing in the past week, no drivers, no new games, no poking around inside.

--

Operating system:

64-bit Windows ten

System specs:
mobo: MSI H170A PC Mate
CPU: i5 6600
RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair
GFX card: MSI GTX 960
SSD - Samsung (500GB?)
Power: Corsair 550X

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes to both

My best guess is the mobo is bad at this point, but I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions before I go re-build a computer and lose another evening to this. Any help is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
First step is to try on integrated graphics, if you haven't already - take the MSI card out. After that, my guess would be motherboard or PSU, so if you have a spare PSU, try that first.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah I took out the graphics card. I had to because I couldn't get the battery out without doing so, sorry I forgot to mention. I figured it wasn't the PSU because the fans were coming on, but that is testable. I'll do that and report back.

e: it's not the PSU. I'm going to see if I can't get a new mobo before the weekend. Fingers crossed.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 21, 2016

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
After work I went and bought a new motherboard and put it in, now everything works just fine. If I could go a week or two without a computer at home I'd have sent the old one in, but because it's tied to my work I bit the bullet and bought a new one in town.

Thanks for the help, though.

• Locked thread