Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Other than a couple home movies, a few TV specials I can't find anywhere else and old NFL games - my entire giant VHS collection is worthless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hrist posted:

I have an old Kool-Aid VHS tape I got from a KB Toy Store when I was really young that my parents got for me with Kool-Aid points.

Anytime I describe the video to people, they swear it sounds like someone on acid made it or something. My dream is to one day convert it to digital format and upload it online. In case someone already did, I think the title was something like, "Wacky Wild Kool-Aid Style" and featured a segment of a man blowing up a building with a cross walk button, which was pre-terrorism, so it was okay. Also it had the Kool-Aid Rap, and that might be cool still.

It's online - because of course it is

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x424w0j

A goon even used it to make a music video years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61YyOHYKTRk

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm on a Facebook VHS group because occasionally some cool old stuff gets posted, but man those people get beyond pissed when people like me throw all our old, worthless tapes into the trash in their hundreds. Weird, angry bunch are VHS collectors.

The best place to find stuff used to be Goodwill, but about 10 years ago they changed their policy and now they only sell commercial VHS tapes that were donated in their original box.

You used to be able to find tons of home-recorded VHS tapes that were obviously donated from dead-grandma's house. Everything from 8-hour long MTV recordings from the 1980's, to NFL games, to 6-hours of movies recorded from HBO, to home movies people took at DIsney World,

Best thing I ever found was some tape where the person recorded Family Ties as it aired in like 1987, but they just let the tape run all night until it ran out of space. So I had like 6 hours of infomercials - I should find those and put them on YouTube.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Number_6 posted:

Because it's a pain in the rear end, thats why. And unless I'm mistaken, lots of TV programs are not really available for free, legal downloads from the internet.

"Why even own a TV?"? Well, I dont want to use a 50"" viewing device to surf the web, and I don't want to use a 23" device to watch movies. And I dont have whaterver magical streaming/casting poo poo that is needed to send poo poo from my computer to my TV,

Cheap laptop, wireless keyboard and an HDMI cable.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MiracleFlare posted:

I've got recorded marathons of shows, but the real treasure is probably whatever commercials they had running back then.

I used to upload old commercials to Youtube, but in the past few years there's tons of people doing that and there's nothing I can think of that's not already on there

• Locked thread