Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'm pretty sure my main reasons were that it's bad, dumb, and dangerous and that that's why it's illegal. That a mass of our nations dimmest bulbs have all stared copying their Idiot King in their habits isn't really a good reason to keep doing it.

we truly are in year 0 of the idiocracy timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
In cases of sudden extreme weather conditions that causes a quick and drastic slow down in traffic speed (which could also be caused by an accident somewhere), I'll turn my hazards lights on up until there's a car behind me that has seen my hazards lights, has slowed down and matched my speed. Usually it is now them that have the hazards on, signaling to anyone coming in fast "hey dude, we're all slowed down to poo poo here, take it down a notch". Once everyone is nice and tight and slow as gently caress in traffic, there's no need for hazard lights.

rgocs fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 28, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Anyway I think the people we really should be focusing on instead of hazard light users are people who misuse their brights. I used to take a very poorly-lit rural highway through a forest with a bunch of deer and that kind of thing so driving with your brights on is helpful, if nobody else is coming the other way. Unfortunately a lot of people never seemed to grasp that as soon as you see a car coming toward you, you should turn them off, not keep them on until you're about 10 feet from me. You've already blinded me, might as well just keep them on (which some people do choose to do).

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mariana Horchata posted:

get out of the left lane or i will pass u on the right at 100mph because gently caress u thats why

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Murphy Brownback posted:

Anyway I think the people we really should be focusing on instead of hazard light users are people who misuse their brights. I used to take a very poorly-lit rural highway through a forest with a bunch of deer and that kind of thing so driving with your brights on is helpful, if nobody else is coming the other way. Unfortunately a lot of people never seemed to grasp that as soon as you see a car coming toward you, you should turn them off, not keep them on until you're about 10 feet from me. You've already blinded me, might as well just keep them on (which some people do choose to do).

This drives me into a screaming rage sometimes when it happens a few times in a row.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
People handle their brights so poorly that I basically don't think they should be allowed to have them on cars, despite them being nice for the four people using them appropriately at any given time on the face of the earth. I would gladly give up use of my brights forever if it meant no one else could ever use them either. It would also be nice if there were some maximum height light could be mounted from the road so that if you drive some hick lifted shitpile truck you also had to install some kind of eyestalk to mount your lights on so that you don't just blind everyone coming at you every night (while spraying everyone behind you with gravel).

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Let's all take a deep breath.
Close your eyes.
Imagine you're driving down a nice highway.
Slowly in the distance you see something.
Is that a star? No. It can't be.
It's a set of 8000k HID headlamps installed in stock halogen housing with no adjustment to the projector!.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Normally I'll stick to going speed limit in the slow lane but if slow lane is going 15 miles under speed limit then I'll go 5 over in the fast lane and laugh at idiots who get mad that I'm not going 20+ over the speed limit. If I am going fast enough to regularly pass people I will stay in the passing lane.

Speeding is for morons anyway.

Let's say you have a 30 minute commute, assuming you go average speed limit of 65mph. You decide to go an average +10mph over the speed limit
This is a 16.6% increase over the speed limit, meaning the length of time you will get there is (1/1.166 )*30, or 25.86.

Congrats, you saved 4 minutes and 8 seconds at risk of getting pulled over for +20-30 minutes and a $200 fine. Plus about 20% less efficient fuel mileage. And if you are tailgating in order to speed, you are putting lives at risk because most people highly overrate their driving due to Dunning-Kruger effect.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Bluetint baybeeeee

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Sheep-Goats posted:

People handle their brights so poorly that I basically don't think they should be allowed to have them on cars, despite them being nice for the four people using them appropriately at any given time on the face of the earth. I would gladly give up use of my brights forever if it meant no one else could ever use them either. It would also be nice if there were some maximum height light could be mounted from the road so that if you drive some hick lifted shitpile truck you also had to install some kind of eyestalk to mount your lights on so that you don't just blind everyone coming at you every night (while spraying everyone behind you with gravel).

I'm on board if we can ban those blue lights or whatever bullshit that is. gently caress your need to be special

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Meta Ridley posted:

Normally I'll stick to going speed limit in the slow lane but if slow lane is going 15 miles under speed limit then I'll go 5 over in the fast lane and laugh at idiots who get mad that I'm not going 20+ over the speed limit. If I am going fast enough to regularly pass people I will stay in the passing lane.

Let's say you have a 30 minute commute, assuming you go average speed limit of 65mph. You decide to go an average +10mph over the speed limit
This is a 16.6% increase over the speed limit, meaning the length of time you will get there is (1/1.166 )*30, or 25.86.

Congrats, you saved 4 minutes and 8 seconds at risk of getting pulled over for +20-30 minutes and a $200 fine. Plus about 20% less efficient fuel mileage. And if you are tailgating in order to speed, you are putting lives at risk because most people highly overrate their driving due to Dunning-Kruger effect.

Get out of the fast lane you autistic hump

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Meta Ridley posted:

-a guy driving 5 miles over the speed limit in a prius

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Meta Ridley posted:

Well, let's say you work 5 days a week and commute that back and forth. We will also round that 4:08 down. So (4*2)*5 = 40.
Okay, well that means that you add 40 minutes to your week for driving 10mph over the speed limit during your commute.

Any statistics we could look up on the probability of being pulled over would have so many factors it would be best to just make a reasonable assumption. I think it's reasonable to say that someone driving 10mph over the speed limit would have a good shot at not be pulled over more than once every two months.

So let's multiply that 40minutes by 8weeks. That's 5:20. That means for every hour you saved, you MAY get fined $40.

If you make about $100,000+ per year, that's $48.08/hr. So why not speed?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

Get out of the fast lane you autistic hump

I'm confused. You get mad with people using their hazards incorrectly because it's dangerous and illegal. But you want people to disregard speed limits which could be dangerous and is illegal?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

rgocs posted:

I'm confused. You get mad with people using their hazards incorrectly because it's dangerous and illegal. But you want people to disregard speed limits which could be dangerous and is illegal?

More it's not your job to play traffic cop. Even if you are slowly passing people if there is someone behind you that wants to go faster you are legally supposed to move right and let them pass when you have the opportunity.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I'm the guy on the one-lane highway with six cars riding my back because I'm going fifteen under the speed limit.

Hey, now that I'm in a passing area and they're all trying to pass me, I'm going to speed up to 95mph!

Okay, okay, that was fun and I nearly hedged someone into oncoming traffic keeping this line of cars behind me, but now that we're back to one lane, it's time to set my cruise control back to a nice steady 45.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Gotta go fast.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
if you ever needed proof that the human race is a bunch of stupid idiot retards all you need to do is watch the roads

and also post on these forums becasue god drat goons are lol

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

I drove with my emergency lights on when a pipe broke off the bottom of my car and I had to go like 15mph because it was dragging to alert people there was an issue.

It was okay in WIsconsin though!

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Hurr durr I drive with my hazards on to improve visibility"

Have you people never heard of rear foglights?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
People in my town are weird as gently caress about hazard lights. About twice a week I'll see someone driving with them on. As in just straight up driving. Speeding, passing cars, etc. This, in clear visibility daytime conditions.

I have no idea why, I've never seen it anywhere else.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
I can't wait until it's necessary to drive self-driving cars for the lower insurance fees/taxes/stigma until it becomes just straight up mandatory

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Beef Turret posted:

I can't wait until it's necessary to drive self-driving cars for the lower insurance fees/taxes/stigma until it becomes just straight up mandatory

The cars automatically activate the hazards in traffic and then slide you into the right hand lane, going a perfect 55 in the 55 lane.

Road rage will go up astronomically.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
itt people with too much anxiety to drive a car pretend they drive

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wicker Man posted:

Gotta go fast.

it's important to go fast

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
im the idiot driver who drives normally in wet environment

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I just want every one of you idiots who drive with your hazards on in bad weather to realize that it's taking every fiber of my being not to hit you with a PIT maneuver and send your dumb rear end spinning into a ditch where you'll at last have your hazard lights on appropriately.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

So I had a flat tire and was driving on the donut. It says max of 50mph and I had a 50 mile commute so I didn't want to push it. I ended up in an area where the limit was 55 and traffic was 60-65. So I ended up putting my hazards on so I didn't piss people off who ended up behind me and could pass.

Acceptable use of hazards or no?

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

wuffles posted:

I just want every one of you idiots who drive with your hazards on in bad weather to realize that it's taking every fiber of my being not to hit you with a PIT maneuver and send your dumb rear end spinning into a ditch where you'll at last have your hazard lights on appropriately.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

wuffles posted:

GET hosed, madam

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
OP why do you drive like a piece of poo poo?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think it's funny how vitriolic some goons get about driving stuff that most people don't really care about (cruising along in the fast lane, hazard lights...) considering a lot of them probably don't even drive because of anxiety or whatever. The way some of you are talking one would think hazard lights killed your mother or something.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Murphy Brownback posted:

I think it's funny how vitriolic some goons get about driving stuff that most people don't really care about (cruising along in the fast lane, hazard lights...) considering a lot of them probably don't even drive because of anxiety or whatever. The way some of you are talking one would think hazard lights killed your mother or something.

Maybe instead of expressing themselves through honking or shouting out the car window like normal people they just bottle up all that rage all week for their weekend posting sessions..? Not that hard to imagine

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Murphy Brownback posted:

I just don't think "b-b-but it's illegal" is a good reason to abandon what is an incredibly common practice that many people find helpful, whether it actually is or isn't. I acknowledge it's against the law, but when you see cops regularly doing it, it's pretty safe to assume it's not something they enforce/take seriously.
Hazard lights: It's ILLEGAL and UNSAFE

Speeding: who gives a gently caress about those laws everyone does it anyway

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idc about hazards. just stop weaving in and out of the lanes thinking you are getting somewhere faster while creating poo poo tons more traffic and work for everyone else around you. just stop. yeah you, shooting past me when I'm already going 80mph and swerving in and out of traffic. STOP.

idc if you want to kill yourself but stop making my daily commute more dangerous because 2fast2furiousbro

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Meta Ridley posted:

Plus about 20% less efficient fuel mileage.

55 was most efficient for older cars. These days that's not the case. The best mileage I ever got (6mpg over epa estimate and my usual best) was driving 90 for 400 miles to visit my dad.

Also I drive an hour to work everyday through more than 20 lights. Every light costs me at least 30 seconds and getting stuck behind slow people usually gets me stuck at lights. That's a significant amount of time for me, so no thanks, I'll stick to speeding and knowing where the cops hide and being observant enough to not get caught.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
People complaining about using hazards are like the people who complain when people use slang. Like yeah it's not in the dictionary but everyone knows what you mean.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i like to honk my horn a lot to let people know im comin

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I Own Soulz posted:

55 was most efficient for older cars. These days that's not the case. The best mileage I ever got (6mpg over epa estimate and my usual best) was driving 90 for 400 miles to visit my dad.

Also I drive an hour to work everyday through more than 20 lights. Every light costs me at least 30 seconds and getting stuck behind slow people usually gets me stuck at lights. That's a significant amount of time for me, so no thanks, I'll stick to speeding and knowing where the cops hide and being observant enough to not get caught.

so if you get stuck behind every single light, that's an extra 10 minutes. you said more than so alright, 12.

so instead of just leaving 5-10 minutes earlier, you choose instead to speed and swerve through morning traffic when people are groggy and unalert

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

I Own Soulz posted:

So I had a flat tire and was driving on the donut. It says max of 50mph and I had a 50 mile commute so I didn't want to push it. I ended up in an area where the limit was 55 and traffic was 60-65. So I ended up putting my hazards on so I didn't piss people off who ended up behind me and could pass.

Acceptable use of hazards or no?

what

take that donut off and drive with three wheels like a loving man

• Locked thread