Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Murphy Brownback posted:

If I am driving on the interstate through a hurricane I have somewhere important to be, it could take hours for it to pass by. I know from experience the people who don't turn them on are harder to see. Yes they have a purpose, but it's fine to use them for a non-traditional purpose if the situation calls for it. I don't care if it makes some dude on the internet quake in rage, but I'll do it anyway because I don't want to die and it's the expected thing to do (at least based on my driving experience in florida). I've even seen cops do it, so like I said if they want to pull me over and ticket me, go for it, but most people just want to get out of that situation as soon as possible.

e: also if you're on the interstate, where are you going to be turning? For an exit, sure, but it takes 5 seconds to turn off the hazards and put on your turn signal. Otherwise you absolutely should not be turning/changing lanes unless you want to kill somebody.

Yeah as someone who has to go over mountain passes every time he wants to visit his family I feel like it's pretty common for people to use their hazard lights during particularly bad weather conditions, I don't think it's super necessary and don't really do it myself but I've seen it regularly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Also I dunno how common this is everywhere else but on wa highways/freeways I see a lot of truckers use their hazards to indicate they're going notably slower than the average flow of traffic. Not like ones in the city or anything like that but long stretches out in the middle of nowhere. It seems like a commonly understood thing when you see them doing it they're basically saying 'hey be careful I'm a rolling obstacle on the road'

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

It's bad and wrong. I grew up going over some of the worst passes in the country, ones that regularly get closed during the winter, and have gone over them many times in awful weather. Never would hazards have been a benefit and not being able to turn them on if I saw an accident ahead (because I already had them on) or to lose the ability to use my turn signal would have been so much worse.
*shrug* I dunno what to tell you as I said it's never something I've done myself I've just noticed it's moderately common when I get stuck on the pass in bad weather.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

poisonpill posted:

i'm either a bad driver or its the girl in the car with me but apparently this is only happening to me

also whats the deal with cars loaded with people in horrible traffic that aren't in the hov lanes

whats the deal with roadstop peanuts

Sometimes if someone is going ridiculously slower than they should be I'll take a look over when I pass just to see if they're doing something dumb but most of the time it's just some geezer who probably shouldn't have a license anymore. Occasionally you see some ridiculous poo poo tho, like I straight up saw a lady doing makeup with one hand and on her phone with the other.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

rgocs posted:

I'm confused. You get mad with people using their hazards incorrectly because it's dangerous and illegal. But you want people to disregard speed limits which could be dangerous and is illegal?

More it's not your job to play traffic cop. Even if you are slowly passing people if there is someone behind you that wants to go faster you are legally supposed to move right and let them pass when you have the opportunity.

• Locked thread