Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

I single blink my hazards to say "thank you" to the person behind me.
Is this not common?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Following the 3 second rule is important.

What do you all think of this guys strategy for traffic? I think he is a saint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHPXUokcblU

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Let's all take a deep breath.
Close your eyes.
Imagine you're driving down a nice highway.
Slowly in the distance you see something.
Is that a star? No. It can't be.
It's a set of 8000k HID headlamps installed in stock halogen housing with no adjustment to the projector!.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Meta Ridley posted:

Normally I'll stick to going speed limit in the slow lane but if slow lane is going 15 miles under speed limit then I'll go 5 over in the fast lane and laugh at idiots who get mad that I'm not going 20+ over the speed limit. If I am going fast enough to regularly pass people I will stay in the passing lane.

Speeding is for morons anyway.

Let's say you have a 30 minute commute, assuming you go average speed limit of 65mph. You decide to go an average +10mph over the speed limit
This is a 16.6% increase over the speed limit, meaning the length of time you will get there is (1/1.166 )*30, or 25.86.

Congrats, you saved 4 minutes and 8 seconds at risk of getting pulled over for +20-30 minutes and a $200 fine. Plus about 20% less efficient fuel mileage. And if you are tailgating in order to speed, you are putting lives at risk because most people highly overrate their driving due to Dunning-Kruger effect.

Well, let's say you work 5 days a week and commute that back and forth. We will also round that 4:08 down. So (4*2)*5 = 40.
Okay, well that means that you add 40 minutes to your week for driving 10mph over the speed limit during your commute.

Any statistics we could look up on the probability of being pulled over would have so many factors it would be best to just make a reasonable assumption. I think it's reasonable to say that someone driving 10mph over the speed limit would have a good shot at not be pulled over more than once every two months.

So let's multiply that 40minutes by 8weeks. That's 5:20. That means for every hour you saved, you MAY get fined $40.

If you make about $100,000+ per year, that's $48.08/hr. So why not speed?

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Here's the thing. I don't drive with my windows down, so I'm not going to roll them down and put my hand out to wave, then roll them back up to say thank you. My rear windows are also tinted, so they won't see inside my SUV at me waving.

I'm going to just pulse my hazards to say thanks when someone lets me in.

If someone confuses a pulse of hazards as my car being stopped or I'm in distress they can sincerely get hosed.

• Locked thread