Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

William Stoner posted:

Following the 3 second rule is important.

What do you all think of this guys strategy for traffic? I think he is a saint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHPXUokcblU

He's just propagating the delay behind him which makes it worse because he refuses to do his part in taking up slack in the train. If you go a quarter mile or so back his lane will be stopped because of what he's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Rules for highway driving:

-Go fast. If someone behind you is going faster than you go right step by step until you hit the right hand lane.
-If you don't like the right hand lane because traffic merges there then too loving bad, deal with it, you're too slow to be loving everyone else up in the other lanes you like to go in. Peace of mind is only for people who aren't pieces of poo poo. Stay in the right lane if you're slow.
-Pass at a differential. If you're in cruise just press on the gas until you pass if you are barely moving relative to the car next to you. You should never creep past someone to your right. No, you're not already going fast enough. No, it's not unsafe to add literally two more miles an hour to your cruising speed.
-If you are creeping up one someone and your piece of poo poo car can't go any faster at the current time because of a hill or because it's a piece of poo poo don't pass. Your cruise control has an incrementer on it, press the - sign twice and you will lose 2mph and sync up with your lane.
-Don't drive in the far left lane unless you're the fastest car in that lane. If there are roads making lefts onto the highway do not stay in the left hand lane at all unless forced to by congestion as people need that lane to make a left into.
-If you drive a hick truck put mudflaps on the loving thing
-If you're in line for the exit and someone tries zoom past and cut into the lane it's your duty to block them out. If they're too stupid or inattentive to notice the exit line gently caress 'em. If they're from out of town gently caress 'em. They can go catch the next exit and loop back around.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 28, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Bananana posted:

:chloe:

The lights aren't to prevent me from hydroplaning, idiot.

theyre to increase my visibility to drivers behind me who may still be travelling too fast, and might not otherwise have seen me in the heavy rain, which has reduced visibility.

You're a dumb oval office turn off your hazards. Your brake lights turn on as running lights when your headlights are on, their brightness level is regulated to provide for the situation you're describing.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

Obviously you have your lights on when it's raining. Like he said, the hazards are just extra visibility. Most people only use them in severe weather where everybody is a hazard because you can't see poo poo beyond a few feet in front of you. I've driven where I see the person's hazards in front of me before I see their lit tail-lights, so they are helpful. Plus everyone does it in those rare situations, so following the "rules" is probably more dangerous since everyone's expecting your hazards to be on.

That said, you're pretty much only going to experience those conditions during bad tropical storms or hurricanes, and the times when you'll be on the interstate during those situations is hopefully few and far between, so for most parts of the country and most storms you're right, but there are situations where I think it's fine to be a "dumb oval office" like that.

No, it's bad and wrong to have your hazards on while on the highway ever, unless you see an accident ahead or are stopped at the side of the road. If the weather is so bad that you can't see brake lights ahead of you (and therefore if your lights are inadequate behind) you should exit and stop, or if far from an exit pull on to the shoulder and stop.

Hazards aren't "extra visibility." They mean something. You can't just turn them on and drive around like that.

If you live in some place where everyone does this you live in a region of morons. It's illegal in some states.

If your hazards are on you can no longer use your turn signal. This is going to cause more problems than having your hazards on fixes (which is none).

raton fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 28, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

This is actually how I drive if there is traffic. People constantly move in front of me and I just adjust and continue on with the same stopping distance.

You drive like a paralytic mong.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

driving on the interstate through a hurricane

get hosed

e: lol you're in Florida where it's expressly illegal to do what you do http://www.nbc-2.com/story/29645388/using-hazard-lights-in-the-rain-is-it-legal

You think you're the only person here who's ever been in a hurricane like downpour? If you can't see brakelights adequately you stop driving, you don't just turn on your hazards.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 28, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

What? Bad weather doesn't mean you can just take a vacation from work, and they often make unexpected turns so it's not like you wake up thinking "yeah I'm going to drive through that today". It just happens sometimes.

"Hey boss I can't get in to work on time today."

"What? Why?"

"There's a literal hurricane and I can't see the cars in front of me so I can't drive in."

====

If it's not the above situation then brake lights are adequate.

Stop using your hazards you fucken goof.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ruggan posted:

so wait, who is legally at fault in that video?

like I know the trucker sped up like a shithead, and I know the vw merged like a shithead, but in a court who gets shafted?

In cases like that fault is almost always on the person changing lanes, not the person who is in a lane. It's not expressly illegal to speed up but it is expressly illegal to change lanes unsafely. Of course the video in this case shows that both are at fault and if adjudicated fairly in court or if both drivers have the same insurance company what sometimes happens is they do split on fault -- like "you're 70% liable, you're 30% liable, total damages are $XXXX for A and XXX for B, so on balance A pays B XXX" with the most common split by far being 50/50. In some states you're not allowed to split liability and if it's winner take all or if the video didn't exist the woman in the car would be 100% liable 100% of the time here.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

I will whenever everyone else on the road decides not to. Post all the laws you want I don't care, it's not hurting anybody - it's not like when I do it I have people trying to come "assist" me. They know why I'm doing it and they are doing it too so who cares.

You aren't hurting anybody yet but statistically your aberrant behavior is a net negative and does hurt people. Hence it being illegal in your state and many others. I'm not going to be able to convince you you're wrong since A) you're obviously impaired to have come to the "hazards in a hurricane" conclusion you have, B) you're probably operating from a poor baseline due to Florida residency to begin with and C) your wandering and inconsistent justifications for what it obviously the kind of behavior we'd expect from a drunk fourteen year old at a roller rink rather than an adult person.

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah as someone who has to go over mountain passes every time he wants to visit his family I feel like it's pretty common for people to use their hazard lights during particularly bad weather conditions, I don't think it's super necessary and don't really do it myself but I've seen it regularly enough.

It's bad and wrong. I grew up going over some of the worst passes in the country, ones that regularly get closed during the winter, and have gone over them many times in awful weather. Never would hazards have been a benefit and not being able to turn them on if I saw an accident ahead (because I already had them on) or to lose the ability to use my turn signal would have been so much worse.

e: on the interstate you use your turn signals for lane changes and exits, both times when it can be pretty meaningful to be able to use them

raton fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 28, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

I just don't think "b-b-but it's illegal" is a good reason to abandon what is an incredibly common practice that many people find helpful, whether it actually is or isn't.

I'm pretty sure my main reasons were that it's bad, dumb, and mildly dangerous and that that's why it's illegal. That a mass of our nations dimmest bulbs have all stared copying their Idiot King in their habits isn't really a good reason to keep doing it.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 28, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
People handle their brights so poorly that I basically don't think they should be allowed to have them on cars, despite them being nice for the four people using them appropriately at any given time on the face of the earth. I would gladly give up use of my brights forever if it meant no one else could ever use them either. It would also be nice if there were some maximum height light could be mounted from the road so that if you drive some hick lifted shitpile truck you also had to install some kind of eyestalk to mount your lights on so that you don't just blind everyone coming at you every night (while spraying everyone behind you with gravel).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Bluetint baybeeeee

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Meta Ridley posted:

Normally I'll stick to going speed limit in the slow lane but if slow lane is going 15 miles under speed limit then I'll go 5 over in the fast lane and laugh at idiots who get mad that I'm not going 20+ over the speed limit. If I am going fast enough to regularly pass people I will stay in the passing lane.

Speeding is for morons anyway.

Let's say you have a 30 minute commute, assuming you go average speed limit of 65mph. You decide to go an average +10mph over the speed limit
This is a 16.6% increase over the speed limit, meaning the length of time you will get there is (1/1.166 )*30, or 25.86.

Congrats, you saved 4 minutes and 8 seconds at risk of getting pulled over for +20-30 minutes and a $200 fine. Plus about 20% less efficient fuel mileage. And if you are tailgating in order to speed, you are putting lives at risk because most people highly overrate their driving due to Dunning-Kruger effect.

Get out of the fast lane you autistic hump

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

rgocs posted:

I'm confused. You get mad with people using their hazards incorrectly because it's dangerous and illegal. But you want people to disregard speed limits which could be dangerous and is illegal?

Benefit of turning on your hazards so you think you can now safely drive in a hurricane: none

Benefit of speeding: you take slack out of traffic and do your part in keeping everyone moving

Negatives of turning on hazards: can no longer use turn signal, removes your ability to signal actual hazards, dilutes meaning of hazards to others

Negatives of speeding: marginally increased chance of crashing if you are old or are driving a piece of poo poo or are stupid

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

We already had this discussion, it's apparently still "dangerous", because the law says so.

It annoys me when people say to "just pull over" because this can be dangerous too - sometimes it's even hard to make out the lane lines so you basically just stay behind the lights in front of you and hope you're getting it right. If someone is on the shoulder with their lights on there's a risk someone might drift over there and go off the road. Also who has time for that, as long as you do what everyone else is doing you'll be fine.

Someone should take your license away, you're like an eighty year old woman in a goons body.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

A Floridian posted:

Have you stopped to consider that maybe you're the weird one

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

rgocs posted:

Except, not really. In a 70mph two lane road, right lane going at 65mph, passing lane going at 75mph. You wanting to go at 85mph expect the "autists" passing at 75mph to get out of your way and cram into the lane going at 65mph. As you pass, everyone else has to deal with changing to their original positions. How is this helping traffic for everyone other than yourself?

Except you're making everyone else around you tense because you end up figuratively pushing people to the other lanes to make way for you. And most people that speed are not subtle about it, not everyone can handle the stress of having someone inches behind their car going at high speed.

Except nothing dweeb. The first point you're asking about is obvious and you know it, you're just being dense.

"Not everyone can handle the stress?" What's your point? A seizure disorder shouldn't be the only medical problem that keeps someone from being unable to hold a license.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 28, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

Also floridians are much better drivers than the lunatics I had to deal with in california.

looooooool

"I like the way these octogenarians, hillbilly rapists and uninsured island people do things."

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

Try driving from San Jose to Santa Cruz on the main highway and not the coastal highway during rush hour and try and tell me californians are good drivers.

How come you keep trying to challenge me with stupid anecdotes about poo poo I've already done and had no trouble with?

Californians are dumb hicks for the most part (but vegetarian) but they do drive better on average than almost any other state.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Bananana posted:

I used to think you were a cool dude, sheep man. I was wrong.

Easy pal

Easy

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nazzadan posted:

Yeah, I thought our drivers were bad until I went to Salt Lake. The whole drive there and every state between Cali and Utah was full of the worst drivers I've ever seen.

There were also people driving with their hazards on in the mountains and during light snowing in Utah.

IMO Oregon is the very worst. It's like a brain damage parade where everyone's got The Fear.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to pass all of the sadbrains itt and pull them out of their car menacingly

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

rgocs posted:

Regardless of the hazards debate. This statement is dumb. If it reduces your visibility, then others can't see you, so what's making other drivers think you're stopped or stalled?

Look at this retarded poo poo, just look at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

PromethiumX posted:

If you aren't moving to pass / the fastest person on the roadway you should stay your loving rear end out of the left lane.

seriously. gently caress you and your mother.

Passing means there is a car on your immediate right or there will be one in five seconds or less by the way. Not that in a few minutes you'll come up on that RV.

• Locked thread