Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I've slowed down to 25-30 and put my hazards on on the interstate many times. Everyone else was doing it so why not. If a cop wants to pull me over while we're driving through a hurricane/tropical storm where I can barely see 5 feet in front of me, fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

You're a dumb oval office turn off your hazards. Your brake lights turn on as running lights when your headlights are on, their brightness level is regulated to provide for the situation you're describing.

Obviously you have your lights on when it's raining. Like he said, the hazards are just extra visibility. Most people only use them in severe weather where everybody is a hazard because you can't see poo poo beyond a few feet in front of you. I've driven where I see the person's hazards in front of me before I see their lit tail-lights, so they are helpful. Plus everyone does it in those rare situations, so following the "rules" is probably more dangerous since everyone's expecting your hazards to be on.

That said, you're pretty much only going to experience those conditions during bad tropical storms or hurricanes, and the times when you'll be on the interstate during those situations is hopefully few and far between, so for most parts of the country and most storms you're right, but there are situations where I think it's fine to be a "dumb oval office" like that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If I am driving on the interstate through a hurricane I have somewhere important to be, it could take hours for it to pass by. I know from experience the people who don't turn them on are harder to see. Yes they have a purpose, but it's fine to use them for a non-traditional purpose if the situation calls for it. I don't care if it makes some dude on the internet quake in rage, but I'll do it anyway because I don't want to die and it's the expected thing to do (at least based on my driving experience in florida). I've even seen cops do it, so like I said if they want to pull me over and ticket me, go for it, but most people just want to get out of that situation as soon as possible.

e: also if you're on the interstate, where are you going to be turning? For an exit, sure, but it takes 5 seconds to turn off the hazards and put on your turn signal. Otherwise you absolutely should not be turning/changing lanes unless you want to kill somebody.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

What? Bad weather doesn't mean you can just take a vacation from work, and they often make unexpected turns so it's not like you wake up thinking "yeah I'm going to drive through that today". It just happens sometimes.

e: obviously I'm not talking about like a category 5 here, most of the time by the time they're inland they are just weak category 1s or tropical storms which are usually fine to be out during as long as you're not going right through the center of it.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 28, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

Stop using your hazards you fucken goof.

I will whenever everyone else on the road decides not to. Post all the laws you want I don't care, it's not hurting anybody - it's not like when I do it I have people trying to come "assist" me. They know why I'm doing it and they are doing it too so who cares.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I just don't think "b-b-but it's illegal" is a good reason to abandon what is an incredibly common practice that many people find helpful, whether it actually is or isn't. I acknowledge it's against the law, but when you see cops regularly doing it, it's pretty safe to assume it's not something they enforce/take seriously.

I also already acknowledged the situations where most people would agree it's justified are rare. Over the past 15+ years of driving I've only seen it happen maybe ~8 times. Settle down.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Anyway I think the people we really should be focusing on instead of hazard light users are people who misuse their brights. I used to take a very poorly-lit rural highway through a forest with a bunch of deer and that kind of thing so driving with your brights on is helpful, if nobody else is coming the other way. Unfortunately a lot of people never seemed to grasp that as soon as you see a car coming toward you, you should turn them off, not keep them on until you're about 10 feet from me. You've already blinded me, might as well just keep them on (which some people do choose to do).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think it's funny how vitriolic some goons get about driving stuff that most people don't really care about (cruising along in the fast lane, hazard lights...) considering a lot of them probably don't even drive because of anxiety or whatever. The way some of you are talking one would think hazard lights killed your mother or something.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

revmoo posted:

Driving with them on in Florida rain makes sense. Have you guys never driven in a Florida rainshower? You can barely make out anything at all, but the flashing hazards (in addition to your taillights that should also be on) help.

We already had this discussion, it's apparently still "dangerous", because the law says so.

It annoys me when people say to "just pull over" because this can be dangerous too - sometimes it's even hard to make out the lane lines so you basically just stay behind the lights in front of you and hope you're getting it right. If someone is on the shoulder with their lights on there's a risk someone might drift over there and go off the road. Also who has time for that, as long as you do what everyone else is doing you'll be fine.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

Someone should take your license away, you're like an eighty year old woman in a goons body.

Alright overly-sensitive-about-hazard-lights guy. I haven't gotten a ticket since I was 16 or been pulled over for anything other than a burned out taillight a few years ago.

Have you stopped to consider that maybe you're the weird one

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

If your car isn't damaged somehow or you don't need to make something known to other drivers that only you're aware of you shouldn't have your hazards on. If it's just bad weather and everyone has their hazards on because of it then you're all a bunch of morons. That's what the head/tail lights and fog lights are for.

We loving get it, the by-the-books usage indication for hazard lights is what you and the sheep goat guy have been saying over and over, but if you'd ever been in the situation you'd know that sometimes, they can serve a non-traditional/strictly-legal purpose.

Also floridians are much better drivers than the lunatics I had to deal with in california.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

looooooool

"I like the way these octogenarians, hillbilly rapists and uninsured island people do things."

Try driving from San Jose to Santa Cruz on the main highway and not the coastal highway during rush hour and try and tell me californians are good drivers.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

How come you keep trying to challenge me with stupid anecdotes about poo poo I've already done and had no trouble with?

Californians are dumb hicks for the most part (but vegetarian) but they do drive better on average than almost any other state.

Well I just thought I'd join in on pulling things out of my rear end to justify my arguments. If you'd driven in Florida regularly you'd know the real problem on the roads isn't the olds or the uninsured or the rednecks it's the soccer moms in minivans and college kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

XMNN posted:

otoh on a country road if youre doing 40 in a 60 i literally want to kill you* especially if you carry on doing 40 when we hit a 30 because then its obvious youre not just a bit of a pussy, youre not actually paying any attention at all

*if theres no safe opportunity to overtake you aggressively

Yeah, I mean if it's a farm tractor I'll give them a pass because they're clearly just doing something work-related (usually), and will usually give you ample opportunity to pass, but cars doing that poo poo is annoying. You don't have to speed but just go the speed limit and stop loving braking every time you pass a cow field to yell "moo" out the window at them.

• Locked thread