Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

LordPants posted:

The Old Phish thread was fun to live post during new years, and then occasionally bitch about Phish until they'd do something great and then talk about how great Phish is.

What i'm saying is, Phish.

I haven't listened to a show since I dunno the 2014 tweezer show, any hot shows I've missed?

Halloween 2014 had an out of left field band costume set, and is all around a solid show.

Summer '15 brought some heat, for sure:
7/31/15
8/04/15 (Return of the Mike's "2nd Jam" and a sick heavy metal Weekapaug)
8/12/15 (5 song second set with a next level Twist)
8/15/15
Magnaball is top to bottom incredible, the first two nights especially so.

The New Year's Run was overall really great, too, 1/1/16 excepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Are those supposed to be 8s for the first three dates R3M? And I hope Mercury is on the new album because they haven't played the drat thing since Dick's!

Edit: To clarify, Magnaball was 8/21-23/2015, and I'm positive you're not suggesting that the early summer tour shows surpassed it.

Stato-Masochist fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 2, 2016

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

I think that the kind of fanbase that Phish has cultivated inevitably lends itself to borderline obsessive scrutiny. That has both it's good points and bad points (yeah, yeah, corny, I know), but it definitely fuels expectations - especially after a year like 2015. It seemed to me like a lot of what people disliked about the tour this year was part of an attempt to break from habits that proved successful for the heights of 3.0, but ultimately have become creatively stale for the band: namely Major key bliss jams that hit an identifiable 'peak'.

I didn't think this tour sucked, but I by no means think it reached the heights of last year. I just think there's a deliberate focus on avoiding falling into a default style that they've already explored, which means reluctance and pulling back because, well, habits are habits. I think this year was a labratory, and it will ultimately produce something new and awesome. But, I don't fault anyone for being disappointed, because frankly I was too. Let's hope the '96 comparisons are accurate on the .net.

All this over-analytical spew aside, I'm pretty on board with R3Ms take; I enjoy it all, really

Stato-Masochist fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 4, 2016

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Lock'n night one was pretty swell

Set One

Wilson >
Down With Disease
Free
Wolfman's Brother
Tube
555 >
It's Ice >
Wingsuit
Simple
Space Oddity

Set Two

Punch You In The Eye >
Blaze On^1 >
Fuego^2 ->
Ghost^3 >
Bathtub Gin^4 >
Backwards Down The Numberline
You Enjoy Myself^5

Encore

Character Zero

^1 What's The Use? tease
^2 Little Drummer Boy tease
^3 WOO segment
^4 Unfinished
^5 rear end Handed lyrics from Fish during vocal jam

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

That is some tasty guitaring. That whole show is gold (available on Spotify, btw).

Anybody hitting up some MSG shows? I'm hoping to, but I've got two bachelor parties and two weddings to attend that are likely to suck up most of my time off this year. But I'll squeeze in whatever I can, because they've been on a mostly upward trajectory since they hit the west coast this summer.

I can't believe that those 'baker's dozen' rumors were true! Will this be Island Tour-esque? I'm sure we all hope so.

• Locked thread