Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
:siren: THE GEE I HOPE SOMEONE ELSE HERE LIKES PHISH THREAD :siren:

Phish is a rock-oriented jam band, formed in Burlington, VT in 1983. They have been active from 1983-2000, from 2003-2004, and from 2009 to the present. They're one of the biggest touring acts in the United States and are probably the biggest cult band ever. They're known for their musicality, and have been sloganed as "The Greatful Dead 2.0", though their musical stylings are quite different, incorporating elements from a plethora of genres, including jazz, blues, Latin, reggae, and bluegrass. Their following is apt to study them closely and pick out patterns wherever they can be found, in sets, in songs, in jams. Each band member has 15 nicknames.

They are:
Ernest Joseph "Trey" Anastasio III, guitarist and vocalist,
Jon Fishman, drummer and vocalist,
Mike Gordon, bassist and vocalist, and
Page Samuel McConnell, keyboardist and vocalist.

:bravo2: I haven't heard of their exploits since 1997, what's changed? :bravo2:
After a bit of a meltdown following their iconic 12/31/1999 show at the Big Cypress Seminole Reservation coupled with the band's (mostly Trey's) drug problems, they took a hiatus from mid-2000 to New Year's Eve 2002. Because the premises were that it wasn't permanent, no one's drug problem got any better, so they announced a "permanent" breakup, to take place after their last festival in Coventry, which was a mess. Trey eventually got clean (admittedly, after hitting rock bottom after a DWI) and the band reunited in 2009, and have been doing great since, releasing three new albums, currently working on a fourth. People continue to complain, don't worry.

:kingsley: Actually, I'm new and would like to begin devoting my entire waking life to this band now, where do I start? :kingsley:

A Live One. It's where many phans started, and for good reason.

Then, the festivals and NYE shows are a good place to get a feel of shows, songs, and their respective structures and patterns, and the shows are usually top-notch. They've had a few festivals over the years, which are sort of like prolonged musical orgasms that take place over two or three days. The last one was called Magnaball, and you can listen to the first show here.

:siren: USEFUL LINKS AND RESOURCES :siren:
http://phish.com ***OFFICIAL***
http://phish.net
http://reddit.com/r/phish
http://phish.in (Stream 99.9% of Phish shows!)

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Reserving.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Riosan posted:

New Phish thread? New Phish thread.

Riosan posted:

New Phish thread? New Phish thread. I haven't seen them in a couple years, but I'm looking forward to more dates in the southeast.

On occasion, LivePhish has free live samplers available on their website.

On occasion, LivePhish has free live samplers available on their website.

the south seems to be getting the shaft as of late. also, i can't say i vastly prefer board recordings over audience ones, most of the time! the cheering is like half the fun!

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

LordPants posted:

The Old Phish thread was fun to live post during new years, and then occasionally bitch about Phish until they'd do something great and then talk about how great Phish is.

What i'm saying is, Phish.

I haven't listened to a show since I dunno the 2014 tweezer show, any hot shows I've missed?

8/21/15
8/22/15
8/23/15
9/6/15
1/2/16

Are pretty much required.

Edit: One off! Oops.

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 3, 2016

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

studio chat: their new album is done, it's probably got Mercury, Blaze On etc. on it. I really dug the way Feugo sounded, this one'll be just as silky, methinks.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Big Swifty posted:

Are those supposed to be 8s for the first three dates R3M? And I hope Mercury is on the new album because they haven't played the drat thing since Dick's!

Edit: To clarify, Magnaball was 8/21-23/2015, and I'm positive you're not suggesting that the early summer tour shows surpassed it.

my bad! fixed

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

CURRENT TOUR CHAT: I actually went to my :siren: first :siren: shows on 7/2 and 7/3! They were really, really great, 7/2 specifically where you had to be there! I had been hooked for the 12 months prior. Still hoping for a f r a c t a l j a m.

Edit: gently caress yeah, fall tour! the rumors were right!

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 3, 2016

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

it might just be me but going too indepth into the "objective" quality of sets/shows/tours sort of ruins the good and the bad for me, i just like it all

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

coventry2's second set is a bit like phish from hell

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

i think my uncle actually just got back from coventry

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Big Swifty posted:

I just think there's a deliberate focus on avoiding falling into a default style that they've already explored, which means reluctance and pulling back because, well, habits are habits.

this is an important point, why do you think they have one harpua every two years etc. not because they hate playing it, not for blueballing fans, it's because the magic that exists there would dry up if they started milking it for all it was worth. it's the same in general, and it's a rollercoaster, and thousands of people have signed up for the ride, and it'll be fun any way it pans out, imo
:science:

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Archenteron posted:

Speaking of holding out for the magic, do you think Phish could sell out any venue they chose if they announced, well in advance, that the show for that time and place would be the complete Gamehenge cycle? Last performance of it was in 94. At this point, I'd settle for an official album release of TMWSIY

I could see that happening with literally any venue. It's a shame Trey's abandoned Gamehendge as a universe, though, so we may never get a full one ever again. :eng99:
In the US/GWN/EU/JA I could see it happening instantly. When you start thinking like :china: or :belarus: that's when the probability drops from 100%. Not like the band has left North America since 2000, so to make it interesting they could choose like, Hawaii.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

I watched LOCKN'! Yeah, it was fun, I bonded with my mom who is sort on the periphery of being a Deadhead, and saw them on 7/18/99 herself with my dad. Also, I have to admit that social fans.com thing they were pushing seems cool and good. Much more likely to consider buying the live webcasts, now.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Well, that was a fun summer tour! My hopes of a Gamehendge occurring before me were once again summarily crushed, but it's amazing how I can feel that way, given how stellar the show was all around. :science: The Lizards, they have died. :eng99:

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

I definitely appreciated the return of Mercury on Friday, just a rock solid Dicks run.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

They have two parts for each band member, and Fish's first part is basically just him hanging out with the cameraman, talking about funk and reggae. It's great.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

I'm reading Phish: The Biography, and I just placed my order for the new The Phish Companion. Hype, it's good to get a relatively rich story like this told in a physical thing I'm holding. Makes me feel we're important.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

This is what you get when a bunch of people collectively decide to miss a Phish show.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

I love Fuego and Rift, the other albums? Yeah, Phish is mostly a live band. Big Boat bummed me out a bit too, I enjoy Blaze On and Breath and Burning though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Bombtrack posted:

Billy Breathes, Lawn Boy, Rift, and Picture of Nectar I feel are all pretty strong start to finish. Big Boat is ok, I think eventually though we're going to notice a strong live presence with a decent number of the tracks (Blaze On, NMNML, Home, Waking Up Dead, More, Always Wanted It This Way...apparently Mercury was recorded and got cut by Bob Ezrin).

I scored two nights of the NYE run through the lottery, and got shutout for 12/31 on Ticketmaster in like zero seconds. Last year's run was pretty drat good and I seriously regret not going.

Llama is about the only song where the studio version is undoubtedly better than most (all?) live versions. no NYE for me, unfortunately, at least i got $200 to burn now

• Locked thread