Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
Summer 2015 was obscenely good, and Summer 2016 was obscenely mediocre. That's kinda how Phish goes nowadays, though. Win some, lose a lot more, but when they win it's *oh so loving good.*

Out of the 2016 tour, the real keeper set (IMO) is BGCA N2 S2. That set was absolutely glorious, with one of the most fantastic Ghost peaks I've ever heard (and I'll be grumpy that it isn't highlighted noteworth on .net forever) that flawlessly drops into Scents and Subtle Sounds.... Not to mention the Disease, the Fuego, the No Quarter, and then capping the whole loving thing off with Fluffhead. Sweet jesus.

Other than that I thought 2016 was (unfortunately) pretty forgettable. Lots of ripchords, aborted jams, and although Trey was playing very cleanly, he didn't seem confident. I thought Mr Miner covered it all pretty well: http://phishthoughts.com/

Wish I could make any of the Fall dates, though. I still love this band, but I'm not against calling them out when they lay out a mediocre tour. After 2015, 2016 was a bit painful. Seriously... What the gently caress is The Line > Tide Turns > Backwards Down the Number Line > Dem Bones in the 4th quarter of the second set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
Who else caught that sit-in from Bob Weir the other day? That was an incredible set.

When they started up Miss You, I laughed because of course they'd stick this loving song in set 2 after doing a great jam in Twist. But then Bobby sang it, and holy poo poo the performance he gave was bone-chilling. I still don't like the song when Trey sings it, but the Bobby version... wow. Trey just doesn't have the right voice to deliver certain songs, that being one of them, but Bobby delivered. Anyway, the set is absolutely worth checking out, even if you aren't a fan of the Dead. Bobby melts into Twist perfectly and makes it seem like his part was always there.

Speaking of Miss You and the new album, I actually really dig most of this album. I think Miss You is really the only iffy track, but I think it's because I get that "oh god no not again" feeling when I hear it because it seems to get played at the worst time. But, poo poo, I think this is a pretty cool album with a very apocalyptic end-of-the-world vibe. I love some of the lyrics - "We're on a big boat, like the one's that our forefathers sailed" especially, and some of these songs just have an eerie end-of-the-world thing going on. I really dig Breath & Burning and I hope they figure out how to stretch it out a bit. Petrichor is also awesome, but I really hope the fans don't eat them alive and deem it TTE v2. I actually really like TTE and wouldn't mind hearing it busted out once in awhile

• Locked thread