Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Hey Guys,
I was wondering if there's some kind of open source type SDK of sorts where I could use the laser in a DVD drive to burn into a DVD/CD without actually writing data, or needing real data. (windows always tries to verify that it can write/read)

I've been using Lightscribe discs on an old work PC, but I can't get lightscribe to work on any new PC what so ever and that old PC is dying slowly. I was hoping there was some kind of software or method where I could essentially force a lightscribe type operation without dealing with the lightscribe software (which doesn't work on any new PC). Basically the same function as scribing an entire disc label in solid black is what I need.

I do believe that even a regular DVD laser would suffice for my project, but it must be a burning IR laser (I've bought a few laser diodes and they're just not strong enough it seems)

Basically I need to force this laser to do work for me without taking it out and soldering it to a breadboard laser driver... Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Some quick Googling says the Lightscribe software still works in Windows 10 with some minor installation hiccups, so as long as it's a SATA (vs IDE) burner you should be good to go. I am curious why you want to use LightScribe for this though, if all you need is a solid black label you can just buy black discs, and if you need more than that buying inkjet printable discs seems to be a long-term solution.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Delayed response, sorry, however I've tried all of the windows 10 solutions I could find on google. Compatibility mode, everything. None of it worked.

I wanted to use it to reduce Graphene Oxide into Graphene circuits for some electronics experiments. I ended up buying a cheap chinese laser engraver that has enough power to perform the operation, the only problem is that it isn't terribly accurate, but it's good enough for my experiments.

I think lightscribe is truly dead, probably to help with HP's ink sales... (HP bought lightscribe and killed it, coincidentally (conspiracy theory incoming) around the same time that people figured out you could make graphene with them...)

Maybe I needed to learn linux or some programming and write my own utility, but I can't believe a utility doesn't exist that allows you to use the laser as you wish. It's just binary/electrons, so surely you could provide the right amount of power to the laser diode and, similar to lightscribe, control pulses of power to create designs etc... Either way, the laser engraver, while exponentially more expensive than a DVD drive, does the job.

Thanks anyway though!

• Locked thread