Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
I can't take someone seriously if their avatar is Carrot Top, especially of super roided Carrot Top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Do you guys tip for pizza delivery? They already charge you for delivery.
If so how much for ap izza from say Dominos or Pizza hut?

Would you give a bigger tip to a local place or like a fancier pizza place that delivers?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think it's funny when people (especially nerdy shut in types) overcompensate and tip like 50-100% or those weird people who tip a bartender a 20 with their first drink. They'll go on and on about how it gets them better service and they are the favorite customer and it's almost like they are trying to buy a friend, but really they don't care about you and just see you as a bag of easy money they don't have to work hard to get.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Murphy Brownback posted:

I think it's funny when people (especially nerdy shut in types) overcompensate and tip like 50-100% or those weird people who tip a bartender a 20 with their first drink. They'll go on and on about how it gets them better service and they are the favorite customer and it's almost like they are trying to buy a friend, but really they don't care about you and just see you as a bag of easy money they don't have to work hard to get.

You're supposed to tip a bartender before you close your tab out? I always tipped at the end...

Also one time I had to tip like 30% because I literally didn't have any change on me and I didn't want to look like an rear end in a top hat in front of the people I was with. So I just let it slide and the waitress was so happy. It was only like a 5 buck tip but still lol.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Servers, give me your thoughts on getting those gold or silver dollar coin tips instead of actual dollars

Are they more fun? Do they make you feel like a pirate? Will the jingling of doubloons in your pocket make you feel good, or simply intensify the yearning for a golden age that never was? Thanks ahead of time

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Microwaves Mom posted:

You're supposed to tip a bartender before you close your tab out? I always tipped at the end...

Also one time I had to tip like 30% because I literally didn't have any change on me and I didn't want to look like an rear end in a top hat in front of the people I was with. So I just let it slide and the waitress was so happy. It was only like a 5 buck tip but still lol.

People claim it will get you faster service but even if you don't tip they will still serve you, and even in a packed bar they aren't going to not take your order out of spite or whatever.

Anyway I think it's fine to tip only at the end if you have a tab, or 50 cents to a dollar per drink depending on how much it cost if you are paying cash for each drink. Anything more than that is a waste.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
just remember if you ever go to a place more than once every single employee knows your tipping habits or lack thereof

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

someone gave me a £5 tip yesterday for a delivery which took me 4 minutes

Sylvia Plathetic
Nov 15, 2009
I prefer not to pay more for things when I don't need to, and spend the money instead on things that are important to me, like MOBA microtransactions.

Risky
May 18, 2003

I keep stack of glossy 8 x 10s of professional wrestling man Mr. Rock.

I use those to tip.

Risky fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 30, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

4outof5 posted:

Just tell them that it would be showing white privilege and enforcing stereotypes if you tipped well, or even at all, so in solidarity with black lives matter you can't tip as long as white cops murder innocent black men.

wait so you're meant to tip the cops??? last time i tried that i got 60 days in the pokey for bribing a lawman

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Edgar posted:

Anyone else like food trucks with the tip buttons on the ipad?

I love this. no thinking involved just push a button and sign

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

the great deceiver posted:

just remember if you ever go to a place more than once every single employee knows your tipping habits or lack thereof

They serve dozens to hundreds of people a day, they aren't going to remember you after 4 weeks if it is even the same people working that shift.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Murphy Brownback posted:

People claim it will get you faster service but even if you don't tip they will still serve you, and even in a packed bar they aren't going to not take your order out of spite or whatever.

Dude you are crazy, you absolutely get faster service in a packed bar if the bartender has a reason to notice and prioritize you over the other dozen or so people trying to get his attention.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Know who I don't tip? loving coffee places.

You tip for service, not for them to make the food. That's what you pay for the loving food for, in my opinion.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Dude you are crazy, you absolutely get faster service in a packed bar if the bartender has a reason to notice and prioritize you over the other dozen or so people trying to get his attention.

You people overestimate how much attention they pay to who is who or even look at/remember your face if it's truly packed. No matter how well you tip you'll still have to muscle your way to the bar and catch their attention and service is going to be slow no matter what. They will not outright ignore you because that's a quick way to get paying customers to leave. Even if you are right, tipping something stupid like 20 dollars on your first drink won't get you meaningfully faster service than the guy tipping a reasonable amount like a dollar a drink. There are diminishing returns.

I am entirely convinced the people posting that poo poo are just bartenders trying to make it seem like it's a common/expected practice to guilt people into over-tipping. For most customers, if the bartender ignores them or is rude because they didn't empty their wallets into their tip jar, they'll just go somewhere else. There are plenty of bars and plenty of bartenders who aren't entitled pricks who just do their job.

pageturner70
Sep 23, 2007
springs131, this thread is for you

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
I tip at least 300% even before I know what my food order is going to be - because I am rich as gently caress. Throw $300 on the table, order your food, then eat and drink politely, then leave.
That is how you do it.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
When I tended bar I did in fact remember consistent tippers. But I never had a stranger throw down a twenty or whatever. My favorite was "it's my friends birthday can you give us a round of shots on the house?" Hahahahah.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Here in California they actually pay servers over minimum wage as base pay so tips are on top of that.

For working at a chain restaurant, the servers working at Cheesecake factory make a decent amount where I live because of this.

In other places, I think it is pretty unfair for an employer to use his customers to directly subsidize paying employees. If you're gonna be such a cheapskate, then hire your underaged relatives like they do in chinese food restaurants.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

King of Bees posted:

When I tended bar I did in fact remember consistent tippers. But I never had a stranger throw down a twenty or whatever. My favorite was "it's my friends birthday can you give us a round of shots on the house?" Hahahahah.

I remember many goons advocating for the "huge tip on the first drink" thing in the past. If the bartender has to ask "are you sure?", you're being weird, stop it. There's nothing wrong with the round up to the next dollar with a minimum of 50 cents tip per drink and any bartender who whines about it can get hosed. Also bars that have drink prices that are like 3.75. It makes you look like a dick to hand them a 5 and ask for a quarter back - it makes you look cheap even though your tip is very reasonable.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

King of Bees posted:

My favorite was "it's my friends birthday can you give us a round of shots on the house?" Hahahahah.

I've totally had bars make people birthday drinks before, but yeah, that's pushing it

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Murphy Brownback posted:

You people overestimate how much attention they pay to who is who or even look at/remember your face if it's truly packed. No matter how well you tip you'll still have to muscle your way to the bar and catch their attention and service is going to be slow no matter what.

I mean, my 15 or so years of weekly bar going has pretty much confirmed the opposite. I travel for work and go to like maybe a hundred different bars in a year and the "tip $10 on the first drink" has never not gotten me faster service then my coworkers who don't. Bartenders make a hugely higher percentage of their income on tips vs salary, why the hell would they prioritize getting more tips?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Murphy Brownback posted:

I remember many goons advocating for the "huge tip on the first drink" thing in the past. If the bartender has to ask "are you sure?", you're being weird, stop it. There's nothing wrong with the round up to the next dollar with a minimum of 50 cents tip per drink and any bartender who whines about it can get hosed. Also bars that have drink prices that are like 3.75. It makes you look like a dick to hand them a 5 and ask for a quarter back - it makes you look cheap even though your tip is very reasonable.

Lol, never mind, you are either cheap as poo poo or too poor to afford drinking out.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Blazing Ownager posted:

I've totally had bars make people birthday drinks before, but yeah, that's pushing it

No problem for a regular/friends, no dice for some bar hoppers

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Lol, never mind, you are either cheap as poo poo or too poor to afford drinking out.

Yeah, a dollar for the 3 dollar beer you poured into a glass to me is "cheap as poo poo" :rolleyes: It's just a pathetically transparent thing to tip a huge amount on the first drink. Any benefit you get from it is in your head while you pat yourself on the back for being such an upstanding citizen sticking with the little man. Their job is to sell as much alcohol as they can, not get as much tips as they can.

The spiteful bartender that ignores me or gives me slow service for "only" tipping a dollar a drink seems to be a myth - I go out to drink a lot, and it has never happened to me. I've always been able to get near-immediate service by just getting the bartender's attention and gesturing in some way to indicate i want another.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Murphy Brownback posted:

Their job is to sell as much alcohol as they can, not get as much tips as they can.

I dunno. My feeling was to get as many customers served as possible to make more tips . I could've cared less how the bar was doing. But a buck a drink was (15 years ago) and I think still pretty much the standard tip.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

King of Bees posted:

I dunno. My feeling was to get as many customers served as possible to make more tips . I could've cared less how the bar was doing. But a buck a drink was (15 years ago) and I think still pretty much the standard tip.

I was thinking more from the owner/manager's point of view. If I found out an employee was ignoring a heavy drinker but poor tipper in favor of well-tipping people ordering a drink once an hour and a half, I'd fire them.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Murphy Brownback posted:

I was thinking more from the owner/manager's point of view. If I found out an employee was ignoring a heavy drinker but poor tipper in favor of well-tipping people ordering a drink once an hour and a half, I'd fire them.

I see what you're saying. It's not ignoring them it's really just volume. Being good and fast at the job was the best all around way to do it . Get everyone in as timely manner as you can. It evens out in the end.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Itt we defend tipping in change and being cheap little babies.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Itt we defend tipping in change and being cheap little babies.

Unless you're asking them to make a complex cocktail, it's ridiculous goony overcompensating to tip more than 50 cents (for "they grabbed a bottle out of the cooler and opened it for me") to a dollar for a standard drink (i.e. liquor+other thing).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
How did you arrive at the $.50 number?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

How did you arrive at the $.50 number?

Because most bars I go to put their bottle prices as $x.50. Like I said, round up as long as it's at least 50 cents and no more than a dollar.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i only tip at the bar if the fuckers give me a tab or i make a huge order, otherwise there's no time for that bullshit unless it's just a matter of spare change

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i don't think you have to tip bartenders in this united kingdom though (though god help you if you don't tip waiters)

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
that's why your mom tips all the time OP

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i don't think you have to tip bartenders in this united kingdom though (though god help you if you don't tip waiters)

It's like that in Switzerland/Germany too - if you try to tip the bartenders they'll tell you they don't do that here, but it's standard to tip waiters ~10% despite the common impression that you don't have to tip at all in Europe.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This thread has convinced me to stop tipping. Thank you. I now have 20% more $$$ when I go out and eat. I can use that $$ to go out and eat more often, thereby stimulating the economy.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
No one is going to spit in your food, you're good. What we would do is find creative ways to make your food taste less good, or cheap out on the ingredients. Just don't be a dick.

Servers at places that make lots of tips (hundreds per night, like fine restaurants) usually have coke problems. They're a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I don't cook anymore but I still overtip waitstaff because who cares. loving goons.

• Locked thread